New price tag for Earl

toffee

Reaction score
After 3 great games and after teams' need for safety were exposed. We have at least two teams bidding for Earl now, the Chiefs and Cowboys. In the world of demand and supply .... and in view of what Bears paid for Mak, I would say the new price tag is a 1st rounder plus a 4th rounder, for Cowboys, or a 1st plus a 2nd for the Chiefs.

We don't draft well in 1st, see Penny, but we sure could convert that first into a few lower rounders.

kidhawk

Reaction score
toffee":1mshln19 said:
After 3 great games and after teams' need for safety were exposed. We have at least two teams bidding for Earl now, the Chiefs and Cowboys. In the world of demand and supply .... and in view of what Bears paid for Mak, I would say the new price tag is a 1st rounder plus a 4th rounder, for Cowboys, or a 1st plus a 2nd for the Chiefs.

We don't draft well in 1st, see Penny, but we sure could convert that first into a few lower rounders.

Why a 4th for the Cowboys but a 2nd for the Chiefs? If anything, the Cowboys should pay more as they have the higher likelihood of getting him to sign a long term contract.

irfuben32

Reaction score
kidhawk":4pvbqflb said:
toffee":4pvbqflb said:

Why a 4th for the Cowboys but a 2nd for the Chiefs? If anything, the Cowboys should pay more as they have the higher likelihood of getting him to sign a long term contract.

The Chiefs will be picking much later in the round than the Boys

2_0_6

Reaction score
We all know how Jerry so desperately wants his team to be relevant, and I would be willing to bet that JS jumps at the chance if given to fleece him.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Why do we want so desperately to trade Earl. I agree that we can't just give in to his demands to be the highest paid safety in football. But we can offer him a solid top 5 contract for 3 years and if he says no, tell him to expect a franchise tag.

Dude has been well compensated to play for us the last 8 years including his pre-rookie cap rookie contract. He should be happy to take a top 5 contract in his senior years.

Teams shouldn't just easily cave into players wishes to be traded. Earl is too good a player to just give away because he wants more than you (or potentially anyone else) wants to pay.

Seymour

Reaction score
toffee":vilh5i3f said:
MontanaHawk05":vilh5i3f said:
toffee":vilh5i3f said:
We don't draft well in 1st

Wasn't Earl a first rounder?

You got me Sir. I meant to say we haven't drafted well lately.

No....he really doesn't. Earl is one of possibly 2 they actually did well enough for "first round grade" on. They have missed on far more than they've hit.

kidhawk

Reaction score
irfuben32":sisxdzpg said:
kidhawk":sisxdzpg said:
toffee":sisxdzpg said:

Not 2 rounds later

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
No the price tag is exactly the same, because we've never wavered on Earl's value.

He's one of the top 2, if not the best free safety in the league, and that equals a 1st rounder. It's the other team(s) that keep trying to lowball us.

It's a fair price, but IMO that's not what's keeping the Cowboys and other teams from trading for Earl. It's his extension demands. No one's giving up a 1st rounder for a one year rent-a-player, it's to sign him long term.

Tinymac2

Reaction score
Seymour":3ns6iq17 said:
toffee":3ns6iq17 said:
MontanaHawk05":3ns6iq17 said:
toffee":3ns6iq17 said:

No....he really doesn't. Earl is one of possibly 2 they actually did well enough for "first round grade" on. They have missed on far more than they've hit.

I believe it was the last time we didn't trade down in the 1st. Isn't that amazing?

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":cm0r969h said:
irfuben32":cm0r969h said:
kidhawk":cm0r969h said:
toffee":cm0r969h said:

Not 2 rounds later

An early first is way more valuable than a late first so what’s being suggested is that and early first and early fourth is equal value to a late first and late 2nd round pick...

hawkfan68

Reaction score
toffee":izaoeo62 said:

Earl's value to the Seahawks is much greater than what will be gained by trading him. Unless Dallas or Chiefs offer 2 or 3 first round picks. I still find Chiefs interest a bit puzzling....they have Eric Berry. They surely can't have two high priced guys at the same position. Unless they plan to get rid Berry...it doesn't make any sense.

Why single out Penny? Ifedi, Harvin, and McDowell are much worse and probably more suitable examples of poor decisions.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
toffee":1msvaehx said:
We don't draft well in 1st, see Penny....

Really? Dude has been dealing with a surgically-repaired finger. Give him a bit of slack and we can judge him after the season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":a3s9zgxn said:
Earl's value to the Seahawks is much greater than what will be gained by trading him. Unless Dallas or Chiefs offer 2 or 3 first round picks. I still find Chiefs interest a bit puzzling....they have Eric Berry They surely can't have two high priced guys at the same position. Unless they plan to get rid Berry...it doesn't make any sense..

Sure they can, we did with Kam and Earl................and Berry's cap hit goes way down after this year, still 14M dead cap in 2019, but they certainly could keep Earl and cut him if they think his injury is going to affect his production going forward.

Bottom line for the Chiefs is they are rolling and think they can win it all this year, so if their FO thinks Earl can help them? They most certainly are considering pulling the trigger on trading for him.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Aros":3f1njayy said:
toffee":3f1njayy said:
We don't draft well in 1st, see Penny....

Really? Dude has been dealing with a surgically-repaired finger. Give him a bit of slack and we can judge him after the season.

Yeah, no kidding! It's not his fault he has had no training camp or practice, and that he hasn't gotten any running plays. This is the first game we had any number of running plays, and people are ready to call him a bust. Did our offensive line become great all of a sudden so it's all on Penny?

Revisionist history. Just because Carson had a great game yesterday, doesn't mean we knew he was going to be able to play last spring. We drafted Penny in the 1st round because we needed a running back. Carson was coming off an injury and we hadn't had a 100 yard rusher in a year or two.

Give the guy a chance.

And Earl is shooting himself in the foot. Who's going to pay him a lot of money when he's announcing that he's sitting out of practice for any excuse he can make up to "protect himself."

Then he bowed to the Dallas' sideline getting a 15 yard penalty. And if Ezekial Elliot hadn't of stepped out of bounds, Earl would have given up an easy "Torchdown." ET got lucky on that one.

And I've seen plays where it looks like he's out of position, trying to make big plays to boost his perceived value. I wonder if he's freelancing?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
toffee":11243ffn said:
MontanaHawk05":11243ffn said:
toffee":11243ffn said:

Well they haven't turned out well, but dropping from the level of talent available in the mid 1st down to the fifth round is not the answer. We need difference makers and it remains true that they're found more often in the 1st.

pmedic920

Reaction score
First round picks are a matter of luck.

Do all the research you can.
Measure everything you can.

You win some, you lose some.
Look at the history of #1 overall picks, look at the history of first rounders in general.

I don’t think we are necessarily bad at picking in the first round, I just don’t think we hit “all cherries” when we pulled the lever.

I do know this for a fact.....

I enjoy being a Seahawk fan much more when I stop trying to be a coach/GM, and simply watch my team play football games.

I’m a Cheerleader, this MO may not work for everyone.

GoHawks.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Clayton just said both of Atlanta’s safety’s are down. JS, Dan Quinn on line 1.
8)