The Roughing the Passer Penalty on Crawford.....

Seymour

Reaction score
Was a load of shit.
The call may be text book by the new pussy rule they are pushing....so in other words the rule is BS and is hurting the game and it's reputation for being a tough sport.

This rule is a huge mistake!! :141847_bnono: :snack:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/_joeyhayden/status/1043961664268369920[/tweet]

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So bad. Shoot, there are QB's in the league that are talking about how dumb this rule is. More recently, Flacco and Erin Rodgers.

sutz

Reaction score
I actually thought they were going to flag him for lowering his helmet and spearing. Seems to me that was more of a foul than "landing on him."

:229031_shrug:

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Aren't teams trying to encourage safer Rugby style tackling like the Hawks do? Wrap and twist. Maybe these guys need to work on the fundamentals some more and watch the Hawk tackling video one more time.

The rule is the prime example of the NFL knowing where its bread is buttered and its based on scoring and passing yards.

T-Hawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1bl5fmre said:
So bad. Shoot, there are QB's in the league that are talking about how dumb this rule is. More recently, Flacco and Erin Rodgers.

I hate the rule change, but I do love that it's basically the Erin Rodgers rule and has already screwed his team twice.

poly1274

Reaction score
The new rule is fine. They should follow how the Seahawks do their shoulder tackles

Osprey

Reaction score
sutz":1ucea127 said:
I actually thought they were going to flag him for lowering his helmet and spearing. Seems to me that was more of a foul than "landing on him."

:229031_shrug:
Think he's lowering his head to put in on the chest as opposed to ending up with helmet to helmet contact.

By the new rule he did but the majority of his weight on the QB as they fell. Not sure how you avoid that other than wrapping and twisting which seems like yet another injury risk if the QBs feet get stuck or tangled. Seems like it's almost impossible to legally tackle from the front.

StoneCold

Reaction score
The rule is dumb, but this guy had plenty of time to alter his tackle, hit Russ at the waist and avoid landing on him. Everyone knows what the rule says, so I don't have much sympathy for players that can't avoid this. Doesn't hurt that it's the Packers Clay Mathews that can't seem to get it right.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
These calls are jokes. If you can't take being hit then don't play football. Quit ruining the game.

Seahawks got a roughing the kicker penalty earlier in the game too. That was weak sauce. The Dallas punter was barely touched.

Atradees

Reaction score
Pile driving has never been OK on the QB. I dont like the constant rule changes every season.

A catch is just a catch. A tackle a tackle. Leading with the helmet and bodyslamming seems fairly obvious to me.

Less yellow flags is definitely a better product.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2456wc9f said:
Aren't teams trying to encourage safer Rugby style tackling like the Hawks do? Wrap and twist. Maybe these guys need to work on the fundamentals some more and watch the Hawk tackling video one more time.

The rule is the prime example of the NFL knowing where its bread is buttered and its based on scoring and passing yards.

This is correct.

Long term noone cares if the defenders like it ir not. The QBs and impact offensive players need to be protected.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Adapt and evolve. The NFL is a physical sport that changes the entire outcome of people’s lives. The NFL is starting to lean more towards skill, rather than senseless violence. That balance is great for the future of the league, especially with so many parents deciding they don’t want their kids playing football

chris98251

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3tsonncx said:
Adapt and evolve. The NFL is a physical sport that changes the entire outcome of people’s lives. The NFL is starting to lean more towards skill, rather than senseless violence. That balance is great for the future of the league, especially with so many parents deciding they don’t want their kids playing football

LALALALALA, Yes we hear that all the time from round ballers, but tell me what the minimum Soccer contract is, also tell me how many people in the US use that as a tool to get out of their environment.

It's middle class and above that don't want Jimmy being hit, people that are less fortunate that use their athletic skill to get a education and make a life outside the environment they grew up in and then go back hoping to make it better for others like Lynch and Sherman probably really don't agree with that assessment.

mikeak

Reaction score
poly1274":1hofq066 said:
The new rule is fine. They should follow how the Seahawks do their shoulder tackles

There are two new rules

1) lowering head in general not just for guys laying the sack down

2) putting your full weight on QB when going to the ground

Number 2 was called here and is a bad rule. Now it looks like Miami lost a guy hurting himself trying to avoid a penalty

poly1274

Reaction score
mikeak":305oddau said:
poly1274":305oddau said:

There are two new rules

Number 2 was called here and is a bad rule. Now it looks like Miami lost a guy hurting himself trying to avoid a penalty

I thought rule #1 was for people that lower their head like RB's or WR when they catch the ball.

But as for #2, Look at Von Miller and Kahil Mack. They don't get penalized for sacking QB's.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
mikeak":2pl0yxu6 said:
poly1274":2pl0yxu6 said:

There are two new rules

It's rule 2 that I'm calling out that is ridiculous. It's a bad rule and can and will change games with just a good clean sack on the QB. Ridiculous rule! :177692:

The Ref that called it in our game leads the league in this call I heard at now 3 times called.

mrblitz

Reaction score
if that had been howie long on dan fouts in say, 1983, fouts would have been ground into the turf. you can see here that crawford lets up a bit on russ.

back in the day, quarterbacks used to get totally smeared. maybe it's better that football is more non-violent today.