Am I alone in feeling our TE plays are better this season?

toffee

Reaction score
I sure don’t miss that underachieving Jimmy Graham. I felt like he contributes to our OL problems, indirectly affected our running game. And he checked out most of the time, totally lacking in professionalism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jville

Reaction score
I'm confused. Is this about our current tight end room and how they are evolving this season? Or is this a solicitation to recount grievances over a now departed player and drag him thru the mud?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Nope you aren't alone.

I think it will be more improved once TE- Dickson is activated from NFI.

These guys can block and catch which is what is expected of them, and it appears the rookie Dissly is a legitimate pro quality TE.

Meanwhile 'The Jimmy' is doing not much in GB for big bucks. To me it would have been great if the team had been able to draft a 1st round player for the OLine instead of trading for Jimmy and his big unproductive contract. Sorry Jville, but I have always thought that trade for Graham was as big a mistake as as was the Harvin trade. However, the team moved on when they saw he wasn't doing what they wanted from the position, so it's ancient news and time to be excited about the guys we have here now.

I haven't seen much from the newest addition but perhaps he's more used on ST. I am happy with what we've seen so far and hope Dissly gets used more.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Question:
A) evolving TE room
B) drag Jimmy thru the mud
C) Both A & B
D) To be determined

I would select D

It’s just three games so it’s a small sample size, but the 2018 TEs are a better run blocking group and they are sneaky pass catchers. However, we haven’t seen the ‘18 group catch TD passes in the Red Zone yet. And while Shotty has a TE with 50 receptions neither Dissly or Vannett is on track to reach that.

Again, way too early and it looks promising.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Jville":2kdek9u1 said:
I'm confused. Is this about our current tight end room and how they are evolving this season? Or is this a solicitation to recount grievances over a now departed player and drag him thru the mud?

It wasn't that confusing

cheese22

Reaction score
Why should anyone on here care about dragging his name through the mud? Are his kids or mother on here hanging their hopes on everything said about him? He made millions of dollars doing a subpar and often effortless impersonation of a TE. Pay me that much and you can call me every name in the book.
As far as this year's TE's are concerned, it appears Dissly's work ethic and style may have pushed Vanett to play with a little more focus. These two could potentially give Seattle the best pair of all-around TE's in the near future.

Jville

Reaction score
jammerhawk":v6bgd24h said:
To me it would have been great if the team had been able to draft a 1st round player for he OLine instead of trading for Jimmy and his big unproductive contract. Sorry Jville, but I have always thought that trade for Graham was as big a mistake as as was the Harvin trade.

I think the center position is terribly undervalued. As it turned out, Max Unger worked thru his concussion reservations as he continues to play for the Saints. I still follow the career of Max Unger to this day.

This year enjoys a very exciting tight end room. Will Dissly has impressed with his versatility but is perhaps most valuable as the in line blocker they have been missing for so long. I hadn't been aware of the core strength deficiencies Nick Vannett revealed during the off season. He looks a lot better and plays with more confidence now that he has strengthen his core. I miss the humor and spirit of Luck Willson. But, Vannett appears to be emerging as a versatile replacement. Ed Dickson's debut from the reserve list is something I look forward to. He'll be a fresh addition when he returns. This is shaping up to be a great group of assignment correct competitors. The process of mixing them together is a bright spot to look forward to.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I guess I'll bite.

I actually really enjoyed watching Jimmy Graham as a Seahawk. I think his primary issue was misuse and/or bad fit in Bevell's offensive scheme. He has some drops last year, but before you call him an underachiever, remember this..

Many said his injury was career threatening and most said he would never be close to the same. He came back a year later and became a TD machine when Darrell figured out that one plus one is two. I can't imagine the work and effort to come back from something so devastating. Definitely not a trait of an underachiever in my book.

Was he a good blocker? Of course not. Everyone knew he was a hybrid WR/TE when we acquired him, a leopard doesn't change his spots.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I am just glad that the Jimmy Graham experiment is over, and the new chapter looking promise so far.

Should have traded him a season ago, would have gotten something. Oh well.

Jville

Reaction score
toffee":hbawwm3v said:
I am just glad that the Jimmy Graham experiment is over, and the new chapter looking promise so far.

Should have traded him a season ago, would have gotten something. Oh well.

So why not use "I sure don’t miss that underachieving Jimmy Graham" as the subject title? That would be far more honest and accurate than disguising an ulterior motive in the body of a post.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
The overall TE play is obviously much improved thus far. The Graham trade was, in fact, very much a failed trade from the get go. There's no reason why someone should be offended by stating as such. It's over. It's done.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again, some really good things coming out of this recent draft. Dis is a baller, and just a really solid overall player.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
We didn't make good use of him while he was here but the difference in our TE play this year is for a couple reasons 1) We have a different OC 2) A small sample size (only 3 games). I don't blame Jimmy or have any sort of ill feelings towards him. I thought he could have done a lot more while he was here.

I blame Bevell and Cable for a lot of our offensive woes. Now that they are gone, hopefully we can see some improvements in how efficiently we move the ball down the field. We have a long ways to go.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The Graham debacle is totally on the FO and coaching staff. You would think they would be aware of the player before bringing him in. He couldnt and never did block before he got here and its crazy to think he was going to when he signed. A classic example of not playing to a persons strengths and trying to fit that square peg into a round hole.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score

sutz

Reaction score
Not gonna go down the Graham rabbit hole, thank you.

Having said that, yes, our TE play has been very promising so far. Especially if you care about the whole package, including their performance as blockers in the run game. Small sample size, of course, and we have yet to see our supposed "best" TE yet. But you have to believe when Dickson gets back on the field.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I love the new Tight End group! Vannett has vastly improved, and I too miss Willson. He was a funny guy and a great locker room presence. Not sure what went wrong there, but appreciate his contributions.

Jimmy's issues were both on coaching and on him. Coaching tried (as always) to force the issue when it was never going to happen. And Jimmy lost interest last year, disappearing between the 20s, only showing up in the red zone. That's on him. Either way, he's gone, and I hope that Pete FINALLY learned his lesson about trading 1st rounders for superstars with issues!

Trade a 1st rounder for an elite Tackle with a "Team-First" mentality. Or for an elite Defensive End that loves the game. Don't trade it for a "Me-First" asshole then hand him a buttload of money to boot! It's an insult to your current team members and causes problems like hold outs!

But that's in the past, so let's hope we don't see it again. And I don't think we will, because look at what this past draft has brought us! Uncle Will! And Vannett is improving! He looks like a legitimate Tight End now. And I thought John Clayton's comparing Dissly to Zach Miller was over the top at first, but not now. This kid is a football player!

So I'm excited about this Tight End group, especially if Dickson can get off the injury list!

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
The combination of a porous OL with a TE that refused to block was .... see our running game of last two years.

I am liking what I have seen so far of our new TEs. Two TE sets with both TEs capable of blocking and catching will deliver a new dimension to our offense. Might even minimize the need for that tall procession type WR.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
I like Will Dissly a lot and want the Offense to feature him more. I think he can be a real game changer.