Tre Flowers, on fast track to ---- ?

toffee

Reaction score
Tre got 100% snap counts on Cowboys game, Pete is playing him a lot and showing confidence in him. How did he played? Anyone got PFF on him?

getnasty

Reaction score
I thought he was good early and then got picked on s bit. He's raw and gonna get better but he still has a long way to go. I think corner needs to be a high priority in the draft or free agency next year.

Fade

Reaction score
I really like him as a prospect.

Due to injury he is playing a year earlier than I would like. In the end though it will be a good thing for him to get this experience now, he is holding up despite being thrown in the fire too early.

He will take a major step forward in year 2.

Extend Coleman
Draft another Corner

to go along with Griffin & Flowers. That would be a pretty damn good crew of Cornerbacks.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
He did get picked on a lot, and gave up a lot of completions in the second half, though nothing back-breaking.

bighawk

Reaction score
Being a rookie i thought he did well. He will be a mainstay with Griffin on the other side. I actually am really excited for our secondary especially if they keep Earl.

Jville

Reaction score
Tre Flowers, on fast track to reward the trust the coaching staff has placed in him.

The speed with which Tre has made the conversion from a college safety to a starting NFL corner is stunning. He looks like a legitimate corner, with a special length, just getting started.

I'm excited about the six pack they have for their dime defense ..... Earl Thomas, Bradley McDougald, Justin Coleman, Shaquill Griffin, Tre Flowers and Tedrick Thompson. Those last three on the list have plenty of room for growth over the duration of the season as they see more snaps. "Love the Process".

Flowers has kept teams from beating him deep.

“He’s a real savvy, aware football player,” Carroll said. “It makes sense for him. The game’s not difficult for him at all, and I think it’s because he’s been in the middle of so much. Kind of like a quarterback has a feel for the whole game different than other positions, I felt like he had a real sense that could help him in making the transition.

“There’s a whole mentality that playing out there (at cornerback), particularly when you’re a press team like we are and we put you right on the line of scrimmage and you’re playing the fastest, best athletes in the world playing the game, that can be overwhelming. It can be daunting to have to face that play in and play out. Not everybody always embraced that mentality, the challenge of that because they have to really be disciplined. They have to be disciplined mentally and not let what just happened affect them. It’s the whole thing you think about with corners, but it’s not just about getting beat deep and how do you come back. It’s about allowing the information to go away and kind of come back to the technique, particularly the way we play and we’re so dedicated to press. It’s really about the discipline of the next snap and the next step you take and you’re focused back in again. If you’re a guy that has trouble turning the rest of the world away, then it’s a harder process. He is really sharp, as is Shaq (Shaquill Griffin). Both these guys have been very similar in the way they’ve handled the start of this thing and really impressive in that.” [urltargetblank]https://www.seahawks.com/news/seahawks-mailbag-tre-flowers-the-o-line-kids-with-mascots-more-in-this-week-s-se[/urltargetblank]

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
He's been pretty mediocre at best in my opinion, but he's a rookie that shouldnt be out there, but is forced to at this point. I do believe he'll pan out over time though.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I think he’s doing a great job considering this should’ve been his red shirt year.

The Hawks had many players higher on the depth chart at the start of OTA & TC- Dontae Johnson, Byron Maxwell, DeAndre Elliott and Mike Tyson to name a few.

After reading the names of those projected starters, feels like the injury bug decided to move from RB to CB this off season.

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1055chdq said:
He's been pretty mediocre at best in my opinion, but he's a rookie that shouldnt be out there, but is forced to at this point. I do believe he'll pan out over time though.

This is my take as well....he is clearly playing Corner with more of his residual Safety technique and not attacking/playing the ball the same way our corners do. I expect him to improve over time though - especially if we can coach him up on technique.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3e9iuis8 said:

I'd agree.

I also am watching him closely week to week. His progress is going to shape drafts for probably the next couple of years. He is still raw. But he's also getting experience. And he's not a dumpster fire thus far. I expect him to get really lit up in the next 7 weeks as we see a lot of better QBs over that time. He'll get picked on mercilessly.

But I'm not inclined to really hold that against him.

Seattle may not be in altogether that bad of shape at CB by the end of the season. We lost both Maxwell and Johnson to injury this year. If Flowers makes enough strides, it's likely that we don't consider CB a need as far as the draft goes. We could realistically add a hedge UFA (or simply resign Johnson), and if a CB falls to us in BPA scenario -- we could go that way.

At this point, he's just trying not to get beat deep. Not really making a lot of plays on the ball. Not really in position to make plays on the ball. But is a very good tackler. I'm looking to see him improve route recognition and to show better coverage when scheme calls for it. At that point, I'll be looking if he can add some savvy to his game and keep from wrapping arms around receivers picking up DPI calls.

He's got a ton of length. He isn't even really at the point where he's learning how to trust that length and use it because he's so far off receivers. He has a lot of tools, yet he's not at the point where he's figuring them out. It's a process. One I'm relishing to watch unfold. Ultimately I think having to start him is going to accelerate that process.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":332tb3vo said:
Mediocre is being kind sir as PFF rated him as one of the worst starting CB. As a homer, he’s one of my adopted rookies, I expect him to be average by the later stage of this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zetes

Reaction score
I think he has done a great job considering he has been forced to learn on the job. Starting for any rookie is hard and CB is probably one of the hardest positions to start at especially with all the big time money WRs in the league. He has been abused and has kept his mistaken at a minimum. Having said that -- it has only been 3 games so I think it is premature to judge him too strongly one way or another. It will be interesting to see what people think after week 9 if he has started all those games. He certainly hasn't been a "dumpster fire" as some else has said already!
Z.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
toffee":2seykdg0 said:
pittpnthrs":2seykdg0 said:
Mediocre is being kind sir as PFF rated him as one of the worst starting CB. As a homer, he’s one of my adopted rookies, I expect him to be average by the later stage of this season.

PFF gave him a grade just under 50, which is a tremendous improvement from the 30-something grade he received in his first game.

I thought he showed more improvement in Week 3 than anticipated. He only allowed a 60 QB rating and 44% completions. He’s keeping the receiver in front of him, by and large. The pass breakup he had that led to an INT was a tremendous play.

I was really down on him after the first game. I think he will be picked on a lot for the rest of the season and will probably allow a few big plays where he beat over the top or on crossing routes that require better agility and technique to defend. But I think he is by far the best option, his length, instincts and attitude are very exciting, and he is progressing faster than I personally anticipated.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, I am happy with his progress, I am especially impressed by his thirsty for knowledge. I do expect a few step backs here and there. Learning ain’t linear, if Tre works out, we just just have LOB v2.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1nrzf6h3 said:
toffee":1nrzf6h3 said:
pittpnthrs":1nrzf6h3 said:

PFF gave him a grade just under 50, which is a tremendous improvement from the 30-something grade he received in his first game.

I thought he showed more improvement in Week 3 than anticipated. He only allowed a 60 QB rating and 44% completions. He’s keeping the receiver in front of him, by and large. The pass breakup he had that led to an INT was a tremendous play.

I was really down on him after the first game. I think he will be picked on a lot for the rest of the season and will probably allow a few big plays where he beat over the top or on crossing routes that require better agility and technique to defend. But I think he is by far the best option, his length, instincts and attitude are very exciting, and he is progressing faster than I personally anticipated.

He hasn't gotten beat over the top yet and if he gets beat on a crossing route its not likely his fault as he's been brought in as a boundary corner. Its the DC's job to keep him schemed away from covering crossing routes. Our system is predicated on lanky corners providing boundary coverage with the safeties, linebackers and nickel corners providing coverage of the crossers and underneath routes.

I doubt PFF really understands our defense and every player's role in it. As long as Flowers isn't getting beat deep, isn't missing tackles, he's doing the job Carroll wants him to do. So I'd rather see Carroll's grade than PFF.

Personally I think Flowers and Dissly might be the steals of the draft.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2tnqs603 said:
hawknation2018":2tnqs603 said:
toffee":2tnqs603 said:
pittpnthrs":2tnqs603 said:

He hasn't gotten beat over the top yet and if he gets beat on a crossing route its not likely his fault as he's been brought in as a boundary corner. Its the DC's job to keep him schemed away from covering crossing routes. Our system is predicated on lanky corners providing boundary coverage with the safeties, linebackers and nickel corners providing coverage of the crossers and underneath routes.

I doubt PFF really understands our defense and every player's role in it. As long as Flowers isn't getting beat deep, isn't missing tackles, he's doing the job Carroll wants him to do. So I'd rather see Carroll's grade than PFF.

He has been beaten over the top (a couple times at least in the first game) but one was overthrown and the other wasn’t attempted due to pressure. He was also beaten on a crossing route (man coverage), which was completed.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3t1bvkex said:
Mad Dog":3t1bvkex said:
hawknation2018":3t1bvkex said:
toffee":3t1bvkex said:

He has been beaten over the top (a couple times at least in the first game) but one was overthrown and the other wasn’t attempted due to pressure. He was also beaten on a crossing route (man coverage), which was completed.

If they didn't catch it he wasn't beat. CB 101