Seahawks offered Reid contract in August

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I actually don't believe it.

First, we have people who have no problems telling lies to sports media.

Second, I cannot believe that we did not offer more than $1M which is what he signed for.

Third, if we did - why did we not come back a few weeks ago and make sure he knew the offer stood?

The max on his contract is $1.9M. That is nowhere near market.

I am calling BS on the FO that they offered anything or maybe they offered, he declined (thinking rightfully so that he could do better elsewhere) and they pulled it. But no way does he take 1.9 max if he has anything close to a reasonable offer on the table.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2amy4b47 said:
I actually don't believe it.

First, we have people who have no problems telling lies to sports media.

Second, I cannot believe that we did not offer more than $1M which is what he signed for.

Third, if we did - why did we not come back a few weeks ago and make sure he knew the offer stood?

The max on his contract is $1.9M. That is not even nowhere near market.

I am calling BS on the FO that they offered anything or maybe they offered, he declined (thinking rightfully so that he could do better elsewhere) and they pulled it. But no way does he take 1.9 max if he has anything close to a reasonable offer on the table.

Local reporters, like Condotta, have also confirmed that the Seahawks offered Reid a contract before Earl Thomas returned to the team.

Reid’s current contract is prorrated per game and non-guaranteed. He signed because he felt it was the best he was going to get. Had he agreed to the Seahawks contract before the season, his entire salary would have been guaranteed.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I get your point.

Why, with the issues we are facing AND the importance of not only good safeties to our defense but box safeties - were we not keeping in contact or at least maintaining the offer?

He took a 1 yr for 1M, we couldn't at least have a standing offer beating that? Good god, look what we gave to Lacey!

Very frustrating and a craptacular job by the FO. If he could have been had for $2M they should have gotten him in here.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3zg7l3m1 said:
I get your point.

Why, with the issues we are facing AND the importance of not only good safeties to our defense but box safeties - were we not keeping in contact or at least maintaining the offer?

He took a 1 yr for 1M, we couldn't at least have a standing offer beating that? Good god, look what we gave to Lacey!

Very frustrating and a craptacular job by the FO. If he could have been had for $2M they should have gotten him in here.

Yeah, I think I would have maintained that offer. On the other hand, both Thomas and McDougald have played phenomenal football through the first three games of the season. Tedric Thompson has also received some snaps in a big nickel or dime role.

It seems they were very concerned with politics becoming a distraction and wanting to avoid any chance of that happening again.

Reid’s circumstances also may have changed when he and his attorney realized that his collusion and contractual interference claims were unlikely to succeed; that may have caused his minimum salary requirements to drop considerably.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Which they would know if they maintained the relationship and kept the offer open.

You are more optimistic than I am. I think politics played a HUGE part in his not being here.

We are losing our FS, almost assuredly. He was drafted as a FS.

Both him and Bradley can play FS and SS which helps the defense.

It might be water under the bridge but it was big miss by the FO considering they are going to have a need at safety at end of year OR if any of our starting safeties get injured. To say we don't want him because of Tedric is crazy BTW. I was ecstatic about getting Tedric but he is no Reid.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seahawks could sign him next year, as needed. Earl Thomas will likely be retained next year at $11 million on the franchise tag. Bradley McDougald is under contract and playing extremely well. Tedric Thompson is similar to Reid; neither has the speed to replace Thomas as a single-high safety. Thompson is more instinctual, better balls skills. Reid is the harder hitter and much more experienced.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I understand your frustration , but why not compare with another, more recent vet salary like Mychal Kendricks who was signed after the season started, vet minimum, no guarantee.

Or how about other low salary offers like Byron Maxwell or Dontae Johnson or Mo Alexander or Brandon Marshall?

And, who knows why he didn’t agree, but while Sweezy says he likes playing for the Hawks, it’s been said he waited for a bigger deal before signing a team friendly agreement.

mikeak

Reaction score
He may have wanted $5 million before the season. Who knows what he was offered and then declined

Once Earl came back then we probably pulled the offer and three games into the season he realizes $1M to $1.9M is as good as it gets

Seafan

Reaction score
Reid is not McDougald. Certainly he would be better than Hill but he is more a SS. It would likely have saved the trade for Shalomi. I don't doubt the offer and wondered when the team would actually bring him in. However, in this newer three safety scheme he may actually have become an asset, especially for depth. He's been out a while and isn't an all pro safety like Earl. How much he contributes to the Panthers is to be seen. If our guys stay healthy I'd rather have Thompson get those snaps.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
If Reids politics played a part so what? Are owners forced to offer people contracts?

2_0_6

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2n6lrp3b said:
You are more optimistic than I am. I think politics played a HUGE part in his not being here..

One thing Pete and JS has shown is that politics don't play a role in who they target. I mean, after all they were planning on brining Kap in for a visit. My guess is Reid wanted more than what he signed for yesterday in August.

OceanPanther

Reaction score
We probably needed Reid more than you did. We are really hurting at safety . Really really really hurting lol..

I am glad our new owner and GM have the brass O to sign him.. Tepper is playing 4 D chess while our rival falcons are playing checkers .. they've lost 2 safeties as well.

See you gentlemen/ ladies , Nov 25.. wow we play each other a lot.

AlbaHawk

Reaction score
I am hoping that I can swing a working visit to my NC office around Nov 25 so I can finally get to a Hawk's game.

Fingers crossed!

mikeak

Reaction score
2_0_6":3vz4vet7 said:
TwistedHusky":3vz4vet7 said:
You are more optimistic than I am. I think politics played a HUGE part in his not being here..

One thing Pete and JS has shown is that politics don't play a role in who they target. I mean, after all they were planning on brining Kap in for a visit. My guess is Reid wanted more than what he signed for yesterday in August.

and the reports are that they asked Kaep if he would continue to take a knee and his answer is a part of why they didn't OFFER him a contract. Not that they offered a low value one etc - they didn't offer one period.

2_0_6

Reaction score
mikeak":2x97rofs said:
2_0_6":2x97rofs said:
TwistedHusky":2x97rofs said:

and the reports are that they asked Kaep if he would continue to take a knee and his answer is a part of why they didn't OFFER him a contract. Not that they offered a low value one etc - they didn't offer one period.

After a tumultuous season they just had, I can understand why they would not want more media attention than they would already be getting if they signed him.

sc85sis

Reaction score
mikeak":2fhp6v7t said:
2_0_6":2fhp6v7t said:
TwistedHusky":2fhp6v7t said:

His answer was basically a shrug and an, “I don’t know.” That is more of a problem than him saying yes because it would have left John and Pete scrambling instead of being able to plan on how best to handle it.