A tale of two quarterbacks

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Russel Wilson did today what he does best - management. A couple seasons ago I accepted that he was not the great star some thought him to be. He is a QB with some talents that are already in decline (namely speed) and some deficiencies that he has yet to significantly improve upon. He needs a legit running game to take the pressure of him having to stay in the pocket and pass - that's just not his game and it never will be. My sense is the coaching staff has also come to this realization and is trying to reform the offense around that fact. The O-line has improved which is both helping Russ and whatever back happens to be running the ball but unfortunately, against tougher defenses, we'll likely be looking at some very lopsided losses. (0-10 on 3rd downs? Ooof.)

Josh Rosen had his first NFL start at QB. His team lost - barely, but it felt like a win. The rookie has undeniable talent and there were stretches when he put on a passing display that would have stood comfortable with the likes of Brady and Rodgers. The stats don't tell the truth because of some dropped passes that most certainly should have been receptions. It was as if the Arizona receivers weren't used to someone throwing the ball with such remarkable precision.

Though 0-4 now, the Cardinals feel like a team on the move.

The 2-2 Seahawks feel like a team running on, and out of, the fumes of its once dominant past which was perfectly, and tragically, given a visual confirmation of that fact with Earl Thomas being carted off the field as he flipped the bird to the Seahawks sideline.

Bummer for Seahawks fans but looking forward to seeing what kind of season Mr. Rosen ends up with. He sure was fun to watch today.

rcaido

Reaction score
Yeah i would love to trade places with Arizona team that is 0-4 then this Seahawks team that has Wilson & Wagner.

chris98251

Reaction score
semiahmoo":31uysj0t said:
Russel Wilson did today what he does best - management. A couple seasons ago I accepted that he was not the great star some thought him to be. He is a QB with some talents that are already in decline (namely speed) and some deficiencies that he has yet to significantly improve upon. He needs a legit running game to take the pressure of him having to stay in the pocket and pass - that's just not his game and it never will be. My sense is the coaching staff has also come to this realization and is trying to reform the offense around that fact. The O-line has improved which is both helping Russ and whatever back happens to be running the ball but unfortunately, against tougher defenses, we'll likely be looking at some very lopsided losses. (0-10 on 3rd downs? Ooof.)

Josh Rosen had his first NFL start at QB. His team lost - barely, but it felt like a win. The rookie has undeniable talent and there were stretches when he put on a passing display that would have stood comfortable with the likes of Brady and Rodgers. The stats don't tell the truth because of some dropped passes that most certainly should have been receptions. It was as if the Arizona receivers weren't used to someone throwing the ball with such remarkable precision.

The 2-2 Seahawks feel like a team running on, and out of, the fumes of its once dominant past which was perfectly, and tragically, given a visual confirmation of that fact with Earl Thomas being carted off the field as he flipped the bird to the Seahawks sideline.

Bummer for Seahawks fans but looking forward to seeing what kind of season Mr. Rosen ends up with. He sure was fun to watch today.

Well good to know you will be leaving and watching the Cardinals in the future, those of us that have went through thick and thin with the Seahawks before will do so again, we will see you back once were dominant again I am sure.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
chris98251":1q25xbo9 said:
semiahmoo":1q25xbo9 said:

Well good to know you will be leaving and watching the Cardinals in the future, those of us that have went through thick and thin with the Seahawks before will do so again, we will see you back once were dominant again I am sure.

Nah, been with the Hawks since the 70's. Just calling it like it is with a current 99.03% accuracy rating.

Carry on...

Steve2222

Reaction score
If Matt Nagy was our head coach, the Seahawks would probably be 4-0 right now. I’d love to see an Andy Reid disciple with Russell Wilson.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Semiahmoo,

I disagree with your take wholeheartedly.

Honestly, do you see any imagination whatsoever in the offense? Do you think that Wilson would thrive in lets say the Ram's offense?

If the answer is no then you could be right.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Steve2222":kjiw4v9h said:
If Matt Nagy was our head coach, the Seahawks would probably be 4-0 right now. I’d love to see an Andy Reid disciple with Russell Wilson.

Bears sure looked good today. Again, they have a feel of a team on the move. 48 points! Wow.

The Seahawks might be moving but after a sloppy win against a weak team it feels like that move is backwards.

Slick

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2nm4gigu said:

*Farts* leaves thread.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
semiahmoo":27jwi5as said:
chris98251":27jwi5as said:
semiahmoo":27jwi5as said:

Nah, been with the Hawks since the 70's. Just calling it like it is with a current 99.03% accuracy rating.

Carry on...

Let's see... 90.5 QBR for Russ, he was only sacked twice and we had a 100yd rusher (second stringer) and another with almost 50yds?? It was an ugly win.. but I'll take it. This offense is growing. Back to Back 100yd games. HELL YEAH hit them in the mouth.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":3p9czoqh said:
Semiahmoo,

I disagree with your take wholeheartedly.

Honestly, do you see any imagination whatsoever in the offense? Do you think that Wilson would thrive in lets say the Ram's offense?

If the answer is no then you could be right.

Imagination? Very little. That's why I said they have Wilson doing what he does best - managing.

It's doing just enough to give us a chance, like today, to beat an almost equally sucky team. It also leaves us vulnerable to losing to such teams while getting whooped by better ones.

Combined with a defenses that is mid-tier and we have a team as a whole that is clearly on the decline.

The Seahawks best years were when Wilson was not looked to lead the team but help to manage the offense. He had Beastmode to fall back on and a world-class defense that would brutalize opposing offenses. Lynch would pummel teams for a couple quarters, and their defense would come out tired and more often than not, our offense would light it up by the 3rd quarter and we would cruise to a win.

These days we still have a "good" but not "great" QB who is best at helping manage the offense but not necessarily lead it, a lukewarm running game, and a much weaker defense.

As of right now if I were given the choice to do an even swap of Wilson for Rosen (including Rosen's far lesser salary) I would do it in a second. Sure, might seem crazy, but I just don't have faith Russel Wilson will ever be the QB to lead this team back to the SB. (and that goes double for Pete Carroll.)

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":28gcmilt said:
semiahmoo":28gcmilt said:
chris98251":28gcmilt said:
semiahmoo":28gcmilt said:

Carry on...

Let's see... 90.5 QBR for Russ, he was only sacked twice and we had a 100yd rusher (second stringer) and another with almost 50yds?? It was an ugly win.. but I'll take it. This offense is growing. Back to Back 100yd games. HELL YEAH hit them in the mouth.

Totally agree that if Wilson is to have any chance to help w/a victory we need a running game. He is simply not the kind of QB who can lead a team on his talent alone because that talent is increasingly overshadowed by deficiencies.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
So Russ has the running game. But the offense has lost some dynamism.

Be nice to have both heading into 2nd quarter of season

MrThortan

Reaction score
Let's see... the QB with the all time most wins in Seahawks' history or a QB who has yet to win a game...

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Sorry, but what a pathetic excuse for a thread

Your bias towards Wilson can't have anything to do with actual football. Does he talk too robotic for you or something? Too short? Tell us what's really going on.

Your bias towards Wilson is so deep, so irrational and illogical...that you're comparing Josh Rosen...who barely had pressure on him all day....to Brady and Rodgers? So Rosen gets elevated after one game, likely because he LOOKS like a typical pocket QB. But the Quarterback who led us to a 9-7 record with no running game and accounted for 34 of our 35 TDs last year...deserves this kind of belittling?

Whatever dude. Go be a Cardinals fan. This thread just bolsters the point I and others have made on here which is that some fans on here are going out of their way to diminish Russell Wilson at any costs. And if he starts to light it up, you and a few others on here will give 100% of the credit to Schotty. And not the QB under center who's the only hope for this team

adeltaY

Reaction score
He looks worse now in the game manager role than he ever did. The guy is a star. Build the offense around him.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2lq4nb6b said:
Sorry, but what a pathetic excuse for a thread

Your bias towards Wilson can't have anything to do with actual football. Does he talk too robotic for you or something? Too short? Tell us what's really going on.

Your bias towards Wilson is so deep, so irrational and illogical...that you're comparing Josh Rosen...who barely had pressure on him all day....to Brady and Rodgers? So Rosen gets elevated after one game, likely because he LOOKS like a typical pocket QB. But the Quarterback who led us to a 9-7 record with no running game and accounted for 34 of our 35 TDs last year...deserves this kind of belittling?

Whatever dude. Go be a Cardinals fan. This thread just bolsters the point I and others have made on here which is that some fans on here are going out of their way to diminish Russell Wilson at any costs. And if he starts to light it up, you and a few others on here will give 100% of the credit to Schotty. And not the QB under center who's the only hope for this team

Truth. Pure truth.

We know what Wilson can do; he’s a phenom. Was the last half of 2015 a dream? That’s not a game manager. That’s a freaking BOSS.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
semiahmoo":11e7hjqr said:
Sox-n-Hawks":11e7hjqr said:
semiahmoo":11e7hjqr said:
chris98251":11e7hjqr said:

Carry on...

Totally agree that if Wilson is to have any chance to help w/a victory we need a running game. He is simply not the kind of QB who can lead a team on his talent alone because that talent is increasingly overshadowed by deficiencies.

He carried the team with his arm pretty well last season :irishdrinkers:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
rcaido":3aoyle3b said:
Yeah i would love to trade places with Arizona team that is 0-4 then this Seahawks team that has Wilson & Wagner.
LOLOL, it amazes me how some jokers purposely IGNORE a couple of unusual things that Wilson did in this game today, example; Lead Blocking, not once, but TWICE for Mike Davis, and BOTH times Davis gained really good yardage.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1x22ryq4 said:
chris98251":1x22ryq4 said:
semiahmoo":1x22ryq4 said:

Carry on...
No, YOU'RE the on that's "Carrying On"
People who piss & moan when we get a Road Win, and lose two STUD players in that game, are light weights.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
semiahmoo":10xn3a49 said:
Russel Wilson did today what he does best - management. A couple seasons ago I accepted that he was not the great star some thought him to be. He is a QB with some talents that are already in decline (namely speed) and some deficiencies that he has yet to significantly improve upon. He needs a legit running game to take the pressure of him having to stay in the pocket and pass - that's just not his game and it never will be. My sense is the coaching staff has also come to this realization and is trying to reform the offense around that fact.

You mean after what he did down the stretch in 2015....one of the best stretches of play a QB has ever had in the NFL? You determined that he was no better than a game manager after that? Wow.