The Good in Earl Thomas

MO Hawk

Reaction score
Thank you Earl Thomas for all you have brought to the Seattle Seahawks for so many years You were a warrior and gave a lot to this team over the years.

The business side of football does not seem fair for either side at times. Some of your teammates got new "guaranteed" contracts and did well given their season ending injuries. Unfortunately that most likely led to the Seahawks not giving you the same kind of deal. I understand why Seattle did what they did looking at it from a business standpoint. I understand your frustration with the situation and why you did your best trying not to play without a new contract. Now, for you, the worst has happened and we will very much miss your presence on the filed the rest of this season if you are not able to come back.

Despite unfortunate situations this past year you were a lot of fun to watch during your time in Seattle and one of the best players to ever wear the Seahawk colors. I pray for a full and quick recovery. Although It appears you will not play for us again, you gave it your all on game day and I thank you for that. If this is the end, it's sad that it had to end this way, but you will always be one of my favorite Seahawks.

Thank you Earl Thomas, you were and still are the best! Godspeed.

Seafan

Reaction score
Some players leave with class but then you have Sherman and Earl. Ask Earl to raise the flag.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
MO Hawk":4l6jkriv said:
Thank you Earl Thomas for all you have brought to the Seattle Seahawks for so many years You were a warrior and gave a lot to this team over the years.

The business side of football does not seem fair for either side at times. Some of your teammates got new "guaranteed" contracts and did well given their season ending injuries. Unfortunately that most likely led to the Seahawks not giving you the same kind of deal. I understand why Seattle did what they did looking at it from a business standpoint. I understand your frustration with the situation and why you did your best trying not to play without a new contract. Now, for you, the worst has happened and we will very much miss your presence on the filed the rest of this season if you are not able to come back.

Despite unfortunate situations this past year you were a lot of fun to watch during your time in Seattle and one of the best players to ever wear the Seahawk colors. I pray for a full and quick recovery. Although It appears you will not play for us again, you gave it your all on game day and I thank you for that. If this is the end, it's sad that it had to end this way, but you will always be one of my favorite Seahawks.

Thank you Earl Thomas, you were and still are the best! Godspeed.

Well said. Wish he hadn't flipped the bird to the sideline but he's always been a very emotional/reactionary personality. It was among his greatest strengths and weaknesses.

Wish him the best.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Raise the flag and flip everyone off.. what the hell is it with Hawks flipping our org off?

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1mrgrsoj said:
Raise the flag and flip everyone off.. what the hell is it with Hawks flipping our org off?

Yeah, that wasn't cool.

He's not the most mature of players but he always left it on the field.

I respect the play if not the sometimes overtly juvenile quality of his character...

toffee

Reaction score
I don't wish people that flip his finger at me well. That said, may this be the last game of your career Earl.

Hawker8989

Reaction score
Sorry but I feel no sympathy for him. Flipping off your team is disrespectful!!

semiahmoo

Reaction score
minormillikin":10z6vxvu said:
Earl and Marshawn are very similar in one way:. They're weird dudes.

True. When we were winning it was a lovable kind of weird.

When we are losing it's just...weird.

peppersjap

Reaction score
I agree with the post to an extent. I just wish the guy had gone out with some class and tried being a leader on a young team. I'm definitely figuring out why a lot of other teams fans hate us, we had a lot of prima donnas on this team. I still think Sherman is a pretty good guy, but I lost any respect I might have still had for Thomas. Oh yeah, he flipped off the organization after he was burned for the game tying TD. Way to be about the team!!

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Flipping off the Seahawks bench is disrespectful of Paul Allen, the owner that paid you handsomely to play in the NFL. We are talking millions and millions of dollars. Not cool with that at all.

Personally hoping Thompson comes in and balls out. I am done with Earl. Great player but totally ungrateful for the opportunity he was given. Glad we didn’t extend him. I suspect he’ll be poison in FA with how he behaved.

Knuck Chox

Reaction score
Agree with the OP. ET29 was obviously unhappy about his situation, but he still gave his absolute all when game time rolled around. His worst-case scenario came true; this is unfortunate for him, but a prime example of why he was in this position to begin with. That's just how the business works, and I see no "bad" or "good" guys in how this played out; each entity did what they felt they needed to, and this time, the team's odds won out over the player's.

Thomas has been one of the top few safeties this club has featured. I wish him the best going forward (unless he signs a prove-it deal with a divison rival, in which case I wish him the best for 7/8 of the 2019 season). Thank you for all the fantastic memories, Earl. Your play will be missed.

mikeak

Reaction score
Career earnings for Avril - $48 MM
Career earnings for Kam - $65MM
Career earnings for Earl so far $55MM

He has been compensated fairly. A bit of luck he has another $20MM already guaranteed but his compensation was always tied to how violent this sport is.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
So Earl flipped off a certain individual or two. We can definitely speculate who it's towards (sarcasm).

Sure, it's definitely not "classy and professional."

Storming out of an office if you were let go, you may have some choice words for people, feelings may be hurt, etc, it's probably somewhat similar to how Earl handled this.

This is football.

Emotions and testerone are over the stratosphere at times.

I'm not condoning what Earl did but I don't blame the guy. I understand.

Earl was in a bad spot.

With all players good or bad, Hall of Fame, or practice squad, and you have to sometimes take "the good with the bad."

I'll tell you what, I'd rather have one really frustrated and mad Hall of Famer, Earl Thomas, than 100 politically correct, practice squad, "choir" boys, Monday thru Saturday and 10 times on game day, Sunday!!!

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Feel bad for him being injured and hope he can recover and continue to play. However, don't feel at all bad for him for the related financial loss. That is a situation of his own making. If he had been reasonable, the team would be owing him another 20+ million and he may never play again. Instead, he felt he needed to be shown "respect" and have the biggest contract ever for a safety. He should be giving his agent the middle finger, not the Seahawks.

Seafan

Reaction score
JustTheTip":2i2ism3e said:
Feel bad for him being injured and hope he can recover and continue to play. However, don't feel at all bad for him for the related financial loss. That is a situation of his own making. If he had been reasonable, the team would be owing him another 20+ million and he may never play again. Instead, he felt he needed to be shown "respect" and have the biggest contract ever for a safety. He should be giving his agent the middle finger, not the Seahawks.

Yep. He gambled and lost. His injury also hurts the Hawks but they followed an astute policy that many teams do and they won't be saddled with cap hell.

Earl has earned more money than any other DB in Hawk history. The Hawks never disrespected him. Earl is simply stupid. Ask anyone who knows him it's like listening to a rambling fool. He doesn't make sense when he talks.

This is sad and hurts the Hawks defense but the the locker room I believe will grow together and move on. Everyone will be practicing and no one will be bitching.

Extend KJ a couple years. Give Wags a handsome offer. This is his team now.

McDougald
Griffin
Coleman
Thompson
Flowers

This is the new legion and they have a lot of potential.

Latest posts