Even with injury, Earl Thomas still has value

lukerguy

Reaction score
I understand there are a few Earl topics this morning. I've seen a few people suggest "We could have got a 2nd or 3rd and now we get nothing". However, I don't believe this to be the case for a few reason:

- Earl was playing at a defensive MVP level before the injury
- The injury was a clean break with no ligament damage. Other GMs have no issue with injuries like this (assuming they are fixed properly with a rod).
-Earl is the best FS in the league and yet a one year tag will only cost the average of the top 5 players. This is still a bargain given how deflated the FS market is.
-If the Hawks tag Earl and he doesn't report, he's just in the same position he was this season. The Seahawks could still take him for up to two more years and have value. This means if the Cowboys or anyone else want him, he wouldn't hold any less value than he did this off season.
- Frank Clark is an attractive option to tag, but the price tag on DE's is one of the highest in the league. Is Clark worth $15MM?

There is absolutely no reason to let him walk in UFA without tagging him, and trading him.

Steve2222

Reaction score
It would be pretty *****y of the Seahawks to tag him at this point. If they had a soul, they’d just let him walk in free agency. Which I think they will.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I completely agree, however Earl tagged would be trouble and a distraction. If the team thinks they could get value for Thomas then they tag and trade.

In answer to Clark frankly it depends on who else the team could get.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
As much as I hate what he did , I agree its time to just let him go. They do owe him that much. Show him some class in that respect...unlike the lack of class he showed the team.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
People see this event as something that is "bad for Earl".

How is this bad for Earl? He showed up, played at an all pro level, broke his leg clean, will be 100% next year... Can sit on his couch like he was holding out and get paid.

If the Seahawks choose to tag him, it won't be because they don't respect him- it will be because they do respect his value.. something he will ultimately respect as well, even if he's not happy.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
lukerguy":2xh9vxwz said:

How is this bad for Earl? He showed up, played at an all pro level, broke his leg clean, will be 100% next year... Can sit on his couch like he was holding out and get paid.

If the Seahawks choose to tag him, it won't be because they don't respect him- it will be because they do respect his value.. something he will ultimately respect as well, even if he's not happy.

But all he will get is the franchise tag and then the fiasco starts all over again..

Steve2222

Reaction score
lukerguy":153ovxae said:

I guarantee Earl will not show up at all if he is tagged. He will probably just retire. You might say “whatever then. That’s his fault.” It’s still a *****y thing to do him. They should just let him be free.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Guys coming off broken legs get 1 yr 'prove it' deals.

This was very bad for Earl.

He likely won't even get a multiple year FA offer, he certainly won't get much upfront money.

To be honest, Earl should have held out this game. He has seen that field decimate guys in his secondary. I would have gotten 'injured' if I was him.

But I think the flip off helped him, there is no chance this team tags him now - and it was looking like that was what they were going to do.

Also interesting just how much Bobby Wagner has backed Thomas through this, even his comments last night about how Earl was stuck between 2 bad options in even playing this year. Doesn't bode well for Wagner's next contract.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
lukerguy":1zgo0xt5 said:
There is absolutely no reason to let him walk in UFA without tagging him, and trading him.

Depends on what the compensatory pick is for letting Earl walk. If it's a 3rd rounder as has been slotted/guessed by most people, then we have to let Earl walk.

You're not getting a 1st or 2nd for Earl anymore, you're just not.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
If Seattle tags him, I wouldn't be surprised if he just retires.

Imo, I'd like the team to just move on from him. This divorce doesn't need to get any messier than it already is

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Really depends how Tedric Thompson plays for the rest of the season. If he's a dumpster fire then you absolutely tag Earl. No way someone retires over the opportunity to make $10 million. Earl is all about the money obviously. Not gong to throw away coin like that.

Now if Tedric balls out then bye bye Earl.

Seymour

Reaction score
Forget about Earl.

He is not getting tagged, and he will end up having a real tough time hitting his cash cow contract with a 2nd break to that same leg.
Ask Sherman....

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":papt35g4 said:
Forget about Earl.

He is not getting tagged, and he will end up having a real tough time hitting his cash cow contract with a 2nd break to that same leg.
Ask Sherman....

Yep. He's done in Seattle.

He'll walk, we'll get our compensatory pick................and he'll have to take an incentive contract elsewhere. But it won't be here, we'd be idiots to franchise him and have this nonsense circus for another entire off season and regular season of holdouts and tantrums.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2jwcxeei said:
Really depends how Tedric Thompson plays for the rest of the season. If he's a dumpster fire then you absolutely tag Earl. No way someone retires over the opportunity to make $10 million. Earl is all about the money obviously. Not gong to throw away coin like that.

Now if Tedric balls out then bye bye Earl.

If TT is a dumpster fire we draft a FS next spring.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
His value depends entirely on the nature of the break. You and I will likely never know the nature of the break. The only clue we will get is the contract he signs next year. If it's a 1-year prove it, then the break is likely peri-implant. If he gets a multi-year block buster, then the break is unrelated to the previous repair.

Peri-implant breaks don't have a good prognosis

Didn't realize he wasn't rodded That was dumb

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":29hv45qy said:

He likely won't even get a multiple year FA offer, he certainly won't get much upfront money.

Recent notable signings after season ending injury:

Allan Robinson
3 year 42 MM- 25MM Guaranteed

Desmond Trufant
5 year 68MM- 42 Guaranteed

Maurkice Pouncey
5 year 44MM- 13 Guaranteed

You were saying.....?

Earl's injury was far better for him than any of the above injuries. There was no ligament damage, only bone damage.

Earl will not get a "prove it" deal if he hits the market- I can guarantee you that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2ipett1z said:
His value depends entirely on the nature of the break. You and I will likely never know the nature of the break. The only clue we will get is the contract he signs next year. If it's a 1-year prove it, then the break is likely peri-implant. If he gets a multi-year block buster, then the break is unrelated to the previous repair.

Peri-implant breaks don't have a good prognosis

It's already been reported this morning that it was a clean break with no ligament damage.......which is about as good as it gets for leg breakage news. Means Earl should be good to go after the SB when free agency starts.

Still though, I can't imagine any team giving Earl (with now three straight years of season ending injuries) more than an incentive heavy contract.

Rat

Reaction score
lukerguy":3md0bd1k said:
TwistedHusky":3md0bd1k said:

Allan Robinson

Desmond Trufant

Maurkice Pouncey

You were saying.....?

Earl's injury was far better for him than any of the above injuries. There was no ligament damage, only bone damage.

Earl will not get a "prove it" deal if he hits the market- I can guarantee you that.

Weren't all those players considerably younger? Earl will be 30 when/if he hits free agency.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
Rat":2tx2bj1r said:
lukerguy":2tx2bj1r said:
TwistedHusky":2tx2bj1r said:

Allan Robinson

Desmond Trufant

Maurkice Pouncey

You were saying.....?

Weren't all those players considerably younger? Earl will be 30 when/if he hits free agency.

Sure, they were younger but their injuries were worse- more career altering. Earl's age is a factor but his injury isn't and those are different topics.

LargentFan

Reaction score
Not here to argue, just to see if I'm alone here...

I still hope we extend Earl. Amazing player and I don't get bent out of shape by his so-called "antics." I highly doubt he will ever play for us again, but I still hope so.