Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

So You're Saying There's A Chance.

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
So You're Saying There's A Chance.
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:25 am
  • Last week I made it pretty clear that I think the Seahawks are going to lose this Sunday. However, that's just one fan's opinion which as we well know has zero bearing on the game's outcome. But then I started thinking harder about it. The Rams are an easy favorite coming into this matchup. Their defense has yet to fire on all cylinders but their offense is undoubtedly lethal.

The quick look says the Seahawks need to score in the 30's to have a chance. I would normally agree but something tells me we could be wrong this week. Losing Earl is unquestionably a huge blow but what I like about this team is paradoxically what might keep them from the post season this year.

Youth. There are a lot of young players that don't know any better. As in, they don't have the history or the memo that we should lose this game. Something tells me (and yes it could be indigestion) the Seahawks are going to attack their offense like we have not seen this season. Safety blitzes. Corner blitzes. Wagner getting in the mix...I have a hard time believing Norton isn't scheming something delicious as I type.

They say stats don't lie but I think they fudge a bit. Our offensive line is looking better than their ranking. The team - warts and all - shows legitimate promise in several areas. I do recall (vividly) the shalacking the Rams gave us at home last season but that was a completely different team spiritually, emotionally. I think this team has an undefinable spunk, mettle and resilience that team did not have last season.

Dunno. Maybe this is little more than a Rah Rah Aros post on a Monday morning fresh off a win but I cannot discount that nagging feeling that you might want to rethink all your chips on the Rams Sunday.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Re: So You're Saying There's A Chance.
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:32 am
  • We are 7.5 point underdogs at home. Have we ever been 7.5 point underdogs at home in the Pete Carroll/Russell Wilson era?
    I mean we've lost maybe 4 games by more than 7 points since 2012.

Vegas has little faith.
    Mad Dog
    NET Starter

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:33 am
  • We're gonna get REKT
    "...and now they got a bicycle!"
    Sac
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:37 am
  • Sac wrote:We're gonna get REKT

Lose? Perhaps. Destroyed? Come on man.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:38 am
  • Did Pete Carroll write this?? Just kidding..good to be optimistic but it could be a rough one. This place will explode like when the mega powers hulk hogan and macho man broke up....
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:40 am

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:41 am
  • The NFL is specifically engineered for the sort of upset/trap game the Hawks could pull over on the darling Rams this week. Especially at home. If the Bills can beat the Vikes in Minnysohta, anything can happen. Thing about being on the top of the heap is that everyone wants to knock you off, and...the...pressure...mounts when you are 4-0.
    AubHawk71
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:12 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Did Pete Carroll write this??.

Yes. My cover is now blown thank you very much.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:15 pm
  • They were 12 point underdogs at home vs. the World Champ Saints and won. They were supposed to the thrashed by the Eagles last year, and they knocked their d's in the dirt. You still gotta' lace em up. Like I said before, ask the Vikings if there are sure things in the NFL. Buffalo is horrific and they smacked the Vikings around in their house. Upsets have been happening on a regular basis this season.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:18 pm
  • There is always a chance.

Sometimes it's even a fat one. :twisted:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:19 pm
  • The game will be closer than a lot of people probably think, but there’s no way this team is ready to compete with LA. 24-16 final score. When we go to LA I’m fully expecting a 42-10 final score
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:20 pm
  • No doubt. I'm still laughing over the post saying that it won't be a blowout because the Rams will let up. :34853_doh:
    But hey, if they do get blown out, people can say they told us so. Because that's really fun to gloat about your team losing.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:49 pm
  • Blow outs don't just happen in the NFL. For example, the reason the Vikings got SMOKED by the Bills is in part because of turnovers and an ineffective offense. Two blowouts that stickout to me was our blowout vs the Panthers in the playoffs, and our blowout versus the Rams last year. In both situations it was a perfect storm:

1. Missed Tackles
    2. No Pass Rush
    3. No running game
    4. Long third downs(as a result of no running game, etc.)^

I don't see us getting blown out. This is a divisional matchup where there's a lot of familiarity with each other. Our protection is better up front...and quite frankly this is where "Pete Ball" has its advantages. Getting turnovers and controlling the clock. Our running game will be better. We already had injuries during that blowout, so in many respects we ARE better this year than that 42-0 blowout will suggest.

And, like I've said before we are a MUCH different team at home. Especially with so many young players that's especially true this year. :irishdrinkers:
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:52 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:Did Pete Carroll write this??.

Yes. My cover is now blown thank you very much.

Get ready for a feisty PM :twisted:
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:54 pm
  • The Rams are a better team from top to bottom, however, clearly the better team doesn't always win.

I think if Russell can play out of his mind and if we can force some turnovers and have a few lucky bounces or calls, we could have a shot in the 4th, which is all one can ask for. Maybe Eruzione scores late in the third, and Jim Craig holds their potent offense at bay for the last 10 minutes...Who knows? I think it will be closer than people think.

However I fully expect the Hawks to be out coached and schemed by a much more creative playcaller. The Rams just don't have any glaring weaknesses to exploit right now. They are a damn good football team.
    Last edited by rjdriver on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Now a guppy driver. Loving the Hawks with my bro Nanomoz for over 30 years
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:05 pm
  • I dont think we'll get blown out because that never happens when the media thinks it will. I dont believe we can hang with LA though. We wont win and I just dont think Russ has enough of a connection with Schotty, yet.
    SpokaneHawks
    NET Starter

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:06 pm
  • I don't think,this game is close.....they are better in every aspect of the game . Goff is out playing Wilson .
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:07 pm
  • Mad Dog wrote:We are 7.5 point underdogs at home. Have we ever been 7.5 point underdogs at home in the Pete Carroll/Russell Wilson era?

Beastquake game.

Aros wrote:
    Sac wrote:We're gonna get REKT

It happened last year. At home, to the Rams.

McVay is Young Belichick and he's come to our division. We'd better get used to it.
    Last edited by MontanaHawk05 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:07 pm
  • Goff is behind an incredible O line and stupid good receivers, and one of the best RB's in the game.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:11 pm
  • Obviously we have a chance, very rarely do we get blown out. Last time was, err, Rams.........nevermind!

I sure hope we at least keep it close until the end, because another Rams blowout at home would be franchise crushing inside and outside the lockerroom.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:14 pm
  • Aros wrote:

Wasn't the last head-to-head between the Rams and Seahawks a 42-7 blowout in favor of the Rams?
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:16 pm
  • Hawks were missing half their defense in that one, and had Wags playing on a bad hammy.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:20 pm
  • QuickLightning wrote:
    Aros wrote:

Wasn't the last head-to-head between the Rams and Seahawks a 42-7 blowout in favor of the Rams?

I'm normally the 'Hawks homer. But the two times we've face elite D-line play we've gotten destroyed and Russ took a pounding. We also let Ezekiel Elliot run up and down on us, and they've got Gurly.

I fully expect us to get blown out worse than Roland's O-ring.
    "...and now they got a bicycle!"
    Sac
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:22 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Hawks were missing half their defense in that one, and had Wags playing on a bad hammy.

Now we're missing almost all our defense.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:22 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Hawks were missing half their defense in that one, and had Wags playing on a bad hammy.

Alright...I warned you!

We scored 7 points! Wilson throwing against Donald and Suh means he will be throwing out of the fetal formation. :snack:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:29 pm
  • It is time for revenge for last year. :irishdrinkers:
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:30 pm
  • If anyone has the stomach for it, here's a replay of what happened:

Like I said in the previous post, a perfect storm.

1. Tanner McAvoy fumbles. Defense still holds their high powered offense(which was scoring 35+ last year too) to a field goal. 3-0
    2. Pocket crumbles quickly when offense takes the field. Aaron Donald does Aaron Donald things. Punt
    3. Rams get on offense. Lot of easy broken tackles, but we hold them still. 6-0
    4. Seahawks get the ball back. It's 2nd & 20(I'm assuming we got this because of an incomplete pass, followed by an Ifedi false start, or some kind of penalty). We're deep in our own territory. No running threat so you guessed it, SACK. 3rd & Forever, PUNT. Poor punt by Jon Ryan by the way.
    5. Pharoah Cooper has a huge return. Gurley does the rest. Poor tackling galore. 13-0 Rams
    6. Time for the Seahawks offense to fire it up right? Nope, PUNT again
    7. Rams back on offense. The tackling from us is again embarrassing. 5 yard gains become 20 yard gains. Rams 20-0
    8. Now it's time for some Russ houdini magic. Still plenty of time in the 2nd quarter. Russ passes to Mike Davis for a nice 12 yard gain. Next play, Russ fakes with play action. Turns around and realizes Robert Quinn wants to talk, and spins out successfully to escape pressure. Oh, but then he fumbles. Rams recover. With great field position, the lead jumps to 27-0. Game over

My takeaway from that blowout is that we shot ourselves in the foot, a lot. We also had a decimated defense with no plan to fix it at the time. We were basically just trying to survive the season with Maxwell and some other weak pieces.

We also got no pressure on Goff. Not like we did the first game in LA. We tackled poorly...like ridiculously poorly for a Pete Carroll team. Our run game was non-existent. Our special teams crumbled in punt coverage. Just on basic fundamentals we failed. The game got out of control quickly, which actually speaks in favor of "Pete ball" despite my criticism. A big part of our offensive issues the last few years are false starts and an inability to run the ball. Both of which screwed us in this game. It reminds me of the NFC Championship Packers game. A game that should have been a blowout. A big part of our success was that our defense was other worldly that day. But we had plenty of mistakes. Baldwin's fumble, Kearse having a number of drops that turned into interceptions. If we play sound football, even something remotely close to the Cowboys and Cardinals game where we extended drives and controlled the clock, it will NOT be a blowout
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:36 pm
  • All seem to forget we beat the Rams in their house last year...But whatever!
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:37 pm
  • That game was a blast. Nice and ugly.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:39 pm
  • Win or lose I want to see a competive team that has not tuned the coaching staff out. If this team is still buying into what pete is preaching then we can get better and finish strong , the piecess are there.
    " I don't come to bow, I come to conquer." Bob Marley
    HommyHawk
    NET Starter

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:40 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:All seem to forget we beat the Rams in their house last year...But whatever!

Yes isn't it funny how selective our collective memories are?

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:43 pm
  • Love the Avatar. Homie don't play dat.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:43 pm
  • Homey sold out? Nope! It was all part of his master plan to bop The Man.
    AubHawk71
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:08 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:All seem to forget we beat the Rams in their house last year...But whatever!

Yes isn't it funny how selective our collective memories are?

The Rams were held to 10 points. Seahawks hung up 16 pts. Sort of like yesterday's Cardinals game.

Would y'all be happy winning by a field goal 20-17?
    Palmegranite
    NET Starter

Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:15 pm
  • Palmegranite wrote:Would y'all be happy winning by a field goal 20-17?

Of course. Even by one point I will be stoked.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:02 pm
  • There is always a chance ; but " Vegas picks & points are very reliable. Vegas picks are sometimes uncanny...those dudes know sports better than all of us combined....Unless " GOFF GAFFS " badly....The Hawks have a very slim chance...but GO HAWKS!! :irishdrinkers:
    xray
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:01 pm
  • It sounds redundant at this point, but I just hope it's not a blowout. After watching TNF between the Vikings and the Rams, I was really excited to see how the Seahawks measure up against them. Being divisional rivals, this could... could be closer than it would look on paper. That is what I am hoping for. I am just glad it is taking place in Seattle. Rams look like the best team in the league this year and it would be quite the boon if the underdogs somehow beat them. (crazy talk) :0190l:
    MrThortan
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:10 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    Palmegranite wrote:Would y'all be happy winning by a field goal 20-17?

Of course. Even by one point I will be stoked.

Against a bad team no, against this Rams team absolutely!
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:13 pm
  • Most people believe in the "Any Given Sunday" nature of the NFL with their head but not always with their hearts.

It's worth reminding people that one of the most lopsided spreads of the 2018 season so far was when the Vikings were favored by 17 points over the Bills in week 3. Not only did the Bills pull off the upset but they actually stomped the Vikings by 21 points. Vegas is really good at setting a fair line that gets the average right but NFL parity is close enough that underdogs still win quite often.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:00 pm
  • If Russ goes 0-10 on third down conversion attempts against the Rams the Hawks won't score a point.

The team needs a strong pass rush. IMO the Cards were holding Clark with impunity all game. If those refs do this game the Hawks are in trouble. Now with some decent refs and the return of Greene and Jordan the Hawks may be able to apply some pressure.

Hawks run defense was very good. It will need that to slow down the Rams.

Rams will be missing their number two CB. Russ didn't throw a single deep ball against AZ.

Carson, Davis and Penny should all be playing this week.

I want more of Moore.

Schott and Pete need to step up their game plan and play calling.

I hope the vets from last year are pissed about that whooping they took.
    Last edited by Seafan on Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:45 pm
  • Seafan wrote:If Russ goes 0-10 on third down conversion attempts against the Rams the Hawks won't score a point.

The team needs a strong pass rush. IMO the Cards were holding Clark with impunity all game. If those refs do this game the Hawks are in trouble. Now with some decent refs and the return of Greene and Jordan the Hawks may be able to apply some pressure.

Hawks run defense was very good. It will need that to slow down the Rams.

Rams will be missing their top two CBs. Russ didn't throw a single deep ball against AZ.

Carson, Davis and Penny should all be playing this week.

I want more of Moore.

Schott and Pete need to step up their game plan and play calling.

I hope the vets from last year are pissed about that whooping they took.

Peters played last week and will very likely play this week.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:16 am
  • WE SHALL BE THEIR KRYPTONYTE!!!!!!!

....Hopefully, maybe ehhhh. Phggggggg
    Still rootin’ for the good guys :)

GO HAWKS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mort
    NET Rookie

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:07 am
  • IMO this is how Seattle wins:

-home field - I've watched at least half of all of Seattle's games thus far - this was a completely different team at home than on the road, and they're at home

-pressure Goff - the biggest thing he needs to improve on is beating the blitz - so if I'm Seattle, I blitz often - put your best pass rusher across from RT Havenstein

-DO NOT load up to stop Gurley - Seattle's secondary at this point is weaker than the front 7 - tell Wagner he has to contain Gurley in the run game - the biggest mistake teams have made thus far is making Goff beat them - you want to get the Rams to 3rd down, period. Doesn't matter if it's 3rd and 2 every time, you want to be there

-Win the turnover battle

-Unleash Wilson - assuming that Peters plays, he'd probably be on Locket and Robey-Coleman would be on Baldwin in the slot - NRC is one the better slot corners but that's Seattle's main offensive mismatch in their favor
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:56 am
  • If they can run the ball, which I doubt they can against the Rams dline, and shorten the game, get a few timely turnovers or special teams plays... yeah they can win. I really don't see them running against that 4 man front but it's possible.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:25 am
  • I don't think this team has a chance in hell. That said, it's games like these that Pete somehow pulls a rabbit out his ass.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:51 am
  • This reminds me of the threads before we beat the Pats in their house with a young team in 2012 and a QB who was "too short."

Keep in mind, Seattle was 4-4 through week 8 and lost to some awful teams (Detroit ahem) and pulled off an 11-5 season, and a wildcard WIN on the worst grass field in the country before narrowly losing to the Failcons. This team knows how to win and will make a game of it. If we lose, it won't be a whooping. Keep them under 27 points and we've got a shot.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:53 am
  • Or the playoff game at home as 12 point dogs to the Saints. Or last year vs. the Eagles.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:54 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Or the playoff game at home as 12 point dogs to the Saints. Or last year vs. the Eagles.

Exactly. Pete's teams always play to the level of the competition.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Or the playoff game at home as 12 point dogs to the Saints. Or last year vs. the Eagles.

Or 2011 vs the Ravens.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:13 am
  • Too bad it isn't a night game, they take it next level in prime time, always have under Pete.
    Not so much against the Bears of course.....
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:40 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information