Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

A Call for Creativity

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
A Call for Creativity
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:46 pm
  • Seahawks are completing just 27.5% of their 3rd downs — ranked 31st in the NFL (Bills are worst). That should not be the case when you have Russell Wilson at QB and an offensive line that is now pass blocking at a league average level of efficiency (ranked 16th in pass blocking).

    It’s understandable that there will be an adjustment period for a QB when working with a new offensive coordinator. Brian Schottenheimer has added a new level of complexity to the offensive playbook that Wilson is still learning to master. Wilson appears to be weighed down and over thinking when he should be reacting. I wonder if there is something they can do to simplify things to make it easier on the QB to manage the offense, particuarily on 3rd downs, during this adjustment period.

    Simplicity and creativity do not have to be mutually exclusive ideas. I see those idea merge into reality when I watch the offenses of the Saints, Rams, and Chiefs. The Chiefs, in particular, are managing to accomplish this feat with a 2nd year QB in his first year as a starter, just as the Rams did last season under a new head coach and offensive system.

    Why is Doug Baldwin running routes on 3rd down in front of the 3rd down marker? Why isn’t Jaron Brown being involved in the passing offense in any noticeable way? Why isn’t Wilson’s athleticism and scrambling ability being utilized by Schottenheimer? It seems the only time it is noticeable is when he is making a run block downfield. We have much less talent than those other teams, but it seems we should be doing better than 31st in the league on 3rd downs.

    On the bright side, the running game has started to click in the last couple weeks (both victories) after two close losses on the road in which they hardly ran the ball at all. Arizona was ranked 11th in DVOA run defense entering the last game. Even so, the Seahawks managed to assert themselves in run blocking as well I have seen in the last two and half years. They offensive line opened up some very nice holes for our backup RBs. The left side of the line seemed to have particuarily clean run blocks. This is a huge achievement for an offense that has struggled to run the ball effectively for a long time.

    Now that the running game has gotten going, can they manage the creativity on 3rd downs to keep the chains moving and build a fully functioning offense?
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2877
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: A Call for Creativity
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:54 pm
  • Blame Pete. It's his offense. This offense isn't as creative as Bevell's. Watching Mahomes tonight was fun.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    User avatar
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2816
    Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:52 pm
    Location: Kirkland


Re: A Call for Creativity
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:56 pm
  • Crizilla wrote:Blame Pete. It's his offense. This offense isn't as creative as Bevell's. Watching Mahomes tonight was fun.


    I wish we could also see more creative posts on this board...
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2877
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: A Call for Creativity
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:00 pm
  • Crizilla wrote:Blame Pete. It's his offense. This offense isn't as creative as Bevell's. Watching Mahomes tonight was fun.

    Mahomes should thank his lucky stars he's not saddled with Pete Carroll's offensive philosophy. I was listening to the game on the radio and the last quarter sounded like Wilson a hundred years ago.
    TreeRon
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 378
    Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:48 pm


Re: A Call for Creativity
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:24 pm
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:Blame Pete. It's his offense. This offense isn't as creative as Bevell's. Watching Mahomes tonight was fun.


    I wish we could also see more creative posts on this board...


    But is he wrong? Didn't Pete basically say the game plan was to muck it up in his 710 interview this week?
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:47 am
  • 31st?

    I’m actually surprised that somebody is worse.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 17373
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:54 am
  • adeltaY wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:Blame Pete. It's his offense. This offense isn't as creative as Bevell's. Watching Mahomes tonight was fun.


    I wish we could also see more creativity from the posters on this board...


    But is he wrong? Didn't Pete basically say the game plan was to muck it up in his 710 interview this week?


    Not necessarily but how many “blame Bla Bla” comments do we need around here?

    Would be nice to simply discuss a topic as posted.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 17373
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:06 am
  • I read an article a couple years ago ranking offensive systems. It described Seattle as orchestrated chaos. Bevel knew Wilsons strength and weakness. He knew ,even teammates acknowledged Wilson was more comfortable out of the pocket than inside.It was obvious. The creativity came when Wilson did his thing they had the scramble rules to make things happen.
    justafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1231
    Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:37 am


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:12 am
  • Watching KC last night, I felt very jealous of that team and their offense. Imagine that, play calling that actually matches the strengths of the QB. Mind.......blown.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10806
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:36 am
  • Andy Reid would be fun to watch with Wilson.
    User avatar
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:05 pm
    Location: Tri-Cities, Washington


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:53 am
  • Rope-a-dope

    My guess is Carson starts this week, Davis is the third down back and we pound the rock. 3rd down conversions by rushing and keep Goff off of the field.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

    Image
    User avatar
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2706
    Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:26 am


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:08 am
  • The run game looks like it actually has a chance to be successful. Solari's improvement in line play has been quite nice and I think Schotty's brand of running can work well.

    On the flip side, Wilson is having his worst season passing the ball so far and the passing game looks worse than it did during this 3 year offensive decline. Nothing in Schotty's history indicates the passing game will be any good and the routes lack any creativity. There's no scheming open of players really, contrasted to Rams/KC who get everyone open. It is archaic and situational play calls have been bad this year. Getting a nice balance of passing and running is important and there have been glimpses when they work well together, but they haven't been able to find that rhythm overall.

    R-R-P has shown up again and that put a lot of long 3rd downs on the offense which resulted in 0/9. That is unacceptable against better teams. Mixing runs and passes on early downs in a major area to work on.
    User avatar
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4457
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:43 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Watching KC last night, I felt very jealous of that team and their offense. Imagine that, play calling that actually matches the strengths of the QB. Mind.......blown.


    You're leaving out Hunt, Kelce and Hill. You need more than just a dynamic QB to have the type of dynamic offense we see the Chiefs and Rams run. You also need an offensive minded HC and coordinator.

    We only have one part of this equation, Russell.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13841
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:50 am
  • True, but I'm more pointing out the fact that the offense, along with many teams out there are calling plays that match the strengths of the QB. Or if something is working (like the run for us) they don't just abandon it and get cute.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10806
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:13 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:True, but I'm more pointing out the fact that the offense, along with many teams out there are calling plays that match the strengths of the QB. Or if something is working (like the run for us) they don't just abandon it and get cute.


    My biggest complaint is if you want to be a pound the rock ball control and target 4-5 down the field explosive play off of play action type offense?

    Then draft that, develop that and BE that.

    We had ONE play on Sunday over 15 yards, and Russell has one of the lowest percentage play action ratios in the league. I get it, other than Tyler, we don't have anyone that can stretch the field. Doug's hurt and the rest of our WR/TE corp is on life support.

    And you sure as hell don't preach this run game mentality, and then throw the damn ball on 3rd and 4th and 1.......and fail.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13841
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:16 am
  • I want to see more play action with designed rollouts for Wilson. Give him room and time to pick apart the defense, and let him take the easy few yards on the ground if nothing is open.

    I also want to see Wilson keep it on the RO 1 or 2 times a game to keep the defense honest. He did it once last week, and the next time they ran it on either 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1, Peterson stepped up and had a shot to stop Penny short, but he reacted to Wilson's fake and it was enough for Penny to get past him for a big gain. If Wilson hadn't kept it earlier in the game I think Peterson just goes straight for Penny and may stop him short.
    T-Hawk
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 97
    Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:47 pm


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:22 am
  • When are people going to understand that we are never gonna be some flashy air raid offense. Pete wants to run the ball, control the clock, limit turnovers, and take a deep shot every now and then. That is his philosophy, It's not sexy but it is what it is and thats what its gonna be. We're not going to compete for a Superbowl every year and nobody else does either outside off the Pats, it sucks to have a down year but that doesn't mean you change your mind set it means you work to get better, hope for a good draft next year, hope to plug a few solid free agents in and go from there. Now if that doesn't work for a couple of years then let's find a new coach and start over.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2989
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:23 am
  • T-Hawk wrote:I want to see more play action with designed rollouts for Wilson. Give him room and time to pick apart the defense, and let him take the easy few yards on the ground if nothing is open.

    I also want to see Wilson keep it on the RO 1 or 2 times a game to keep the defense honest. He did it once last week, and the next time they ran it on either 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1, Peterson stepped up and had a shot to stop Penny short, but he reacted to Wilson's fake and it was enough for Penny to get past him for a big gain. If Wilson hadn't kept it earlier in the game I think Peterson just goes straight for Penny and may stop him short.


    Wilson did keep the ball more often in the 2nd half on a couple RO plays............but we're still running this slow ass developing waiting for the 2nd half setting up the defense layered playcalling garbage that we ran with Bevell.

    Where the hell is all the Schottenheimer play action/screen game we were promised?

    - Read Option
    - Sprint Option
    - Speed Option
    - TE Screen
    - Gap Screens
    - Slot Screen
    - Bubble Screen
    - RB Screen

    Draw, Sprint Draw, Play Action Off Draw...No Huddles, 4 minute tempo offense.


    Did I miss anything? Good god, I watched that game last night and wanted to throw a brick through my TV seeing how dynamic KC and even Denver's creativity and complexity of playcalling look compared to us. Watching our offense is like being stuck in a time machine watching football in 1976.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13841
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:28 am
  • The most frustrating thing by far, at least for me, is that claiming you're a running team.......then when it is working, you just try to get cute on 3rd and short or 4th and short. We had the ball the entire 3rd quarter basically, they flat out couldn't stop the run at that point. And you call pass plays??? Just stop. Run the damn ball, geezus.
    The long TD drive by the Bears was a thing of beauty against us as well. Creative stuff the entire drive.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10806
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:30 am
  • This offensive strategy is predicated on having an elite defense, we don't.

    Going into this season I thought this team would need to average at least 25-26 points a game at a minimum to have a chance to get into the playoffs, we are averaging 21.
    Bow Down to Washington
    User avatar
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 928
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:32 am
  • getnasty wrote:When are people going to understand that we are never gonna be some flashy air raid offense. Pete wants to run the ball, control the clock, limit turnovers, and take a deep shot every now and then. That is his philosophy, It's not sexy but it is what it is and thats what its gonna be. We're not going to compete for a Superbowl every year and nobody else does either outside off the Pats, it sucks to have a down year but that doesn't mean you change your mind set it means you work to get better, hope for a good draft next year, hope to plug a few solid free agents in and go from there. Now if that doesn't work for a couple of years then let's find a new coach and start over.


    There can be a middle ground between a flashy air raid offense and what we're doing now. Sgt's post above give a list of plays that can be sprinkled in to make the offense more efficient. We can also use more tempo, the few times we do it is effective but then we go away from it.

    I want us to be a run first team that controls the clock and limits turnovers, but in order to do that we need to be able to sustain drives and not get in a hole and forced to abandon the run in the second half.
    T-Hawk
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 97
    Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:47 pm


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:36 am
  • I'm not saying there can't be a middle ground, I'm saying there won't be a middle ground.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2989
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:38 am
  • Trying to strike a middle ground between offensive philosophies is often what gets offenses into trouble. It can turn into "lacking an identity" or "trying to do too many things at once".
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16158
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:38 am
  • Nasty it doesn't have to be that extreme. Throw in some motion, way more play action, and misdirection plays and our offensive productivity would shoot up.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:44 am
  • Outside of a stretch in 2015 Pete has never waivered for what they have done offensively I don't expect him to do it now and if he ever thought of it he would have never hired BS.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2989
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:47 am
  • getnasty wrote:Outside of a stretch in 2015 Pete has never waivered for what they have done offensively I don't expect him to do it now and if he ever thought of it he would have never hired BS.


    And that was some of the best offensive football in league history smh.

    Not even mad at you my man, you're just spitting the truth and the truth hurts.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:48 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:Trying to strike a middle ground between offensive philosophies is often what gets offenses into trouble. It can turn into "lacking an identity" or "trying to do too many things at once".


    True, but there can be creativity within the scheme we're trying to run.........as evident by all the Schottenheimer playcalling examples I listed above.

    That's all I'm asking for. So far this year it's been either basic run plays, or rarely effective predictable passing plays.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13841
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:22 am
  • getnasty wrote:Outside of a stretch in 2015 Pete has never waivered for what they have done offensively I don't expect him to do it now and if he ever thought of it he would have never hired BS.


    We adopted the read option in 2012. Doesn't have to be a complete change of philosophy, just being more creative and efficient is all.
    T-Hawk
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 97
    Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:47 pm


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:28 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:Trying to strike a middle ground between offensive philosophies is often what gets offenses into trouble. It can turn into "lacking an identity" or "trying to do too many things at once".


    True, but there can be creativity within the scheme we're trying to run.........as evident by all the Schottenheimer playcalling examples I listed above.

    That's all I'm asking for. So far this year it's been either basic run plays, or rarely effective predictable passing plays.


    Look at what Nagy is doing in Chicago. Brock Huard was enamored with him after the game against us and Trubisky still had a pretty bad game. He exploded for 6 TD's this past week when he finally hit some passes. Russell is a far better QB and given considerably less schematically to work with, imagine if he had all those wrinkles to spring players open in space to work with.
    User avatar
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4457
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:38 am
  • mistaowen wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:Trying to strike a middle ground between offensive philosophies is often what gets offenses into trouble. It can turn into "lacking an identity" or "trying to do too many things at once".


    True, but there can be creativity within the scheme we're trying to run.........as evident by all the Schottenheimer playcalling examples I listed above.

    That's all I'm asking for. So far this year it's been either basic run plays, or rarely effective predictable passing plays.


    Look at what Nagy is doing in Chicago. Brock Huard was enamored with him after the game against us and Trubisky still had a pretty bad game. He exploded for 6 TD's this past week when he finally hit some passes. Russell is a far better QB and given considerably less schematically to work with, imagine if he had all those wrinkles to spring players open in space to work with.


    WE WERE PROMISED WRINKLES!! WHERE ARE OUR WRINKLES!!! WE DEMAND WRINKLES!!!
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13841
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:44 am
  • adeltaY wrote:Nasty it doesn't have to be that extreme. Throw in some motion, way more play action, and misdirection plays and our offensive productivity would shoot up.


    I agree. Just like the absent running game in Weeks 1 & 2, these are aspects of the offense that I expected but were underutilized or absent.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2877
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:57 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    mistaowen wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:Trying to strike a middle ground between offensive philosophies is often what gets offenses into trouble. It can turn into "lacking an identity" or "trying to do too many things at once".


    True, but there can be creativity within the scheme we're trying to run.........as evident by all the Schottenheimer playcalling examples I listed above.

    That's all I'm asking for. So far this year it's been either basic run plays, or rarely effective predictable passing plays.


    Look at what Nagy is doing in Chicago. Brock Huard was enamored with him after the game against us and Trubisky still had a pretty bad game. He exploded for 6 TD's this past week when he finally hit some passes. Russell is a far better QB and given considerably less schematically to work with, imagine if he had all those wrinkles to spring players open in space to work with.


    WE WERE PROMISED WRINKLES!! WHERE ARE OUR WRINKLES!!! WE DEMAND WRINKLES!!!


    I pictured Nicolas Cage screaming this
    User avatar
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4457
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:23 pm
  • Creativity and this offensive coaching staff haven't met each other yet. Predictable and boring.
    User avatar
    xray
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 300
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:29 am
    Location: AZ


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:52 pm


  • :pukeface:
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:59 pm
  • There’s no doubt it’s been a very slow start for our new OC. But unlike the board nihilists, I see hope for improvement.

    The running game was totally underutilized for the first two weeks, with multiple missed opportunities to run the ball. But once they became dedicated, the run game took off. The way we ran the ball against Arizona is what so many fans were calling for in their criticisms of the old offensive coaching staff. They managed to fix that problem, even without 3rd down conversions.

    Hopefully they can now show that they can improve the passing game and 3rd down play calling, like they managed with the running game in two weeks.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2877
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:14 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Watching KC last night, I felt very jealous of that team and their offense. Imagine that, play calling that actually matches the strengths of the QB. Mind.......blown.


    You're leaving out Hunt, Kelce and Hill. You need more than just a dynamic QB to have the type of dynamic offense we see the Chiefs and Rams run. You also need an offensive minded HC and coordinator.

    We only have one part of this equation, Russell.


    You're absolutely correct. We have no one, and mean no one who has the speed of Hill that can stretch and take the top off a defense like he can. Since the days of Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice, and Golden Tate we haven't replaced that athleticism at the wide receiver position. You give Russel the same weapons that Mahomes has and you would see a completely different team. He can't through and catch too. Tyler has talent but he isn't even close to Tyreek, and Tyler is our best deep threat.
    RW92
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 249
    Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:45 pm


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:49 pm
  • RW92 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Watching KC last night, I felt very jealous of that team and their offense. Imagine that, play calling that actually matches the strengths of the QB. Mind.......blown.


    You're leaving out Hunt, Kelce and Hill. You need more than just a dynamic QB to have the type of dynamic offense we see the Chiefs and Rams run. You also need an offensive minded HC and coordinator.

    We only have one part of this equation, Russell.


    You're absolutely correct. We have no one, and mean no one who has the speed of Hill that can stretch and take the top off a defense like he can. Since the days of Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice, and Golden Tate we haven't replaced that athleticism at the wide receiver position. You give Russel the same weapons that Mahomes has and you would see a completely different team. He can't through and catch too. Tyler has talent but he isn't even close to Tyreek, and Tyler is our best deep threat.


    Why did they pay Tyler Lockett all of that money then?
    User avatar
    Fade
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1959
    Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:26 am
    Location: Truth Ray


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:53 pm
  • Lockett isn't as fast as Hill but he's a good deep threat. See the deep TD against the Broncos, which was a well designed play.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:04 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:Lockett isn't as fast as Hill but he's a good deep threat. See the deep TD against the Broncos, which was a well designed play.


    Yeah, no one is as fast as Hill. I am just pointing out that the Seahawks "have no weapons" is a misguided statement. They just aren't well utilized.

    Creativity is counter intuitive to "Pete" ball as well.
    User avatar
    Fade
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1959
    Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:26 am
    Location: Truth Ray


Re: A Call for Creativity
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:10 pm
  • Fade wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:Lockett isn't as fast as Hill but he's a good deep threat. See the deep TD against the Broncos, which was a well designed play.


    Yeah, no one is as fast as Hill. I am just pointing out that the Seahawks "have no weapons" is a misguided statement. They just aren't well utilized.

    Creativity is counter intuitive to "Pete" ball as well.


    I agree that the Seahawks have weapons, a lot of teams do, but if you're not using them right it doesn't mean you don't have them you just suck at how to use them.
    User avatar
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 692
    Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:12 am
    Location: Bremerton, WA


Re: A Call for Creativity
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:54 pm
  • I think Shottenheimer answered the call and has the offense moving in a positive direction.

    The running game certainly proved the doubters wrong against a very tough defensive front.

    There was more play action. More misdirection. More screens. Something to build on.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2877
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: A Call for Creativity
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:13 pm
  • Two different offensive coordinators with different philosophies achieving similar results points to micromanaging from the head coach.
    User avatar
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4179
    Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:50 am


Re: A Call for Creativity
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:19 pm
  • brimsalabim wrote:Two different offensive coordinators with different philosophies achieving similar results points to micromanaging from the head coach.


    You and others are comparing five games, in which which we have seen some growing pains but also responsiveness and improvement in multiple areas, to years of tone deafness, especially the stubborn refusal to commit to the run game under the old regime.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2877
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm




It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:37 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online