A Call for Creativity

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seahawks are completing just 27.5% of their 3rd downs — ranked 31st in the NFL (Bills are worst). That should not be the case when you have Russell Wilson at QB and an offensive line that is now pass blocking at a league average level of efficiency (ranked 16th in pass blocking).

It’s understandable that there will be an adjustment period for a QB when working with a new offensive coordinator. Brian Schottenheimer has added a new level of complexity to the offensive playbook that Wilson is still learning to master. Wilson appears to be weighed down and over thinking when he should be reacting. I wonder if there is something they can do to simplify things to make it easier on the QB to manage the offense, particuarily on 3rd downs, during this adjustment period.

Simplicity and creativity do not have to be mutually exclusive ideas. I see those idea merge into reality when I watch the offenses of the Saints, Rams, and Chiefs. The Chiefs, in particular, are managing to accomplish this feat with a 2nd year QB in his first year as a starter, just as the Rams did last season under a new head coach and offensive system.

Why is Doug Baldwin running routes on 3rd down in front of the 3rd down marker? Why isn’t Jaron Brown being involved in the passing offense in any noticeable way? Why isn’t Wilson’s athleticism and scrambling ability being utilized by Schottenheimer? It seems the only time it is noticeable is when he is making a run block downfield. We have much less talent than those other teams, but it seems we should be doing better than 31st in the league on 3rd downs.

On the bright side, the running game has started to click in the last couple weeks (both victories) after two close losses on the road in which they hardly ran the ball at all. Arizona was ranked 11th in DVOA run defense entering the last game. Even so, the Seahawks managed to assert themselves in run blocking as well I have seen in the last two and half years. They offensive line opened up some very nice holes for our backup RBs. The left side of the line seemed to have particuarily clean run blocks. This is a huge achievement for an offense that has struggled to run the ball effectively for a long time.

Now that the running game has gotten going, can they manage the creativity on 3rd downs to keep the chains moving and build a fully functioning offense?

Crizilla

Reaction score
Blame Pete. It's his offense. This offense isn't as creative as Bevell's. Watching Mahomes tonight was fun.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Crizilla":2olb3n83 said:
Blame Pete. It's his offense. This offense isn't as creative as Bevell's. Watching Mahomes tonight was fun.

I wish we could also see more creative posts on this board...

TreeRon

Reaction score
Crizilla":36z4z1fk said:
Mahomes should thank his lucky stars he's not saddled with Pete Carroll's offensive philosophy. I was listening to the game on the radio and the last quarter sounded like Wilson a hundred years ago.

adeltaY

Reaction score
hawknation2018":10edfejd said:
Crizilla":10edfejd said:

I wish we could also see more creative posts on this board...

But is he wrong? Didn't Pete basically say the game plan was to muck it up in his 710 interview this week?

pmedic920

Reaction score
adeltaY":2ua959a6 said:
hawknation2018":2ua959a6 said:
Crizilla":2ua959a6 said:

I wish we could also see more creativity from the posters on this board...

But is he wrong? Didn't Pete basically say the game plan was to muck it up in his 710 interview this week?

Not necessarily but how many “blame Bla Bla” comments do we need around here?

Would be nice to simply discuss a topic as posted.

justafan

Reaction score
I read an article a couple years ago ranking offensive systems. It described Seattle as orchestrated chaos. Bevel knew Wilsons strength and weakness. He knew ,even teammates acknowledged Wilson was more comfortable out of the pocket than inside.It was obvious. The creativity came when Wilson did his thing they had the scramble rules to make things happen.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Watching KC last night, I felt very jealous of that team and their offense. Imagine that, play calling that actually matches the strengths of the QB. Mind.......blown.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Andy Reid would be fun to watch with Wilson.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Rope-a-dope

My guess is Carson starts this week, Davis is the third down back and we pound the rock. 3rd down conversions by rushing and keep Goff off of the field.

mistaowen

Reaction score
The run game looks like it actually has a chance to be successful. Solari's improvement in line play has been quite nice and I think Schotty's brand of running can work well.

On the flip side, Wilson is having his worst season passing the ball so far and the passing game looks worse than it did during this 3 year offensive decline. Nothing in Schotty's history indicates the passing game will be any good and the routes lack any creativity. There's no scheming open of players really, contrasted to Rams/KC who get everyone open. It is archaic and situational play calls have been bad this year. Getting a nice balance of passing and running is important and there have been glimpses when they work well together, but they haven't been able to find that rhythm overall.

R-R-P has shown up again and that put a lot of long 3rd downs on the offense which resulted in 0/9. That is unacceptable against better teams. Mixing runs and passes on early downs in a major area to work on.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1wv0qwha said:
Watching KC last night, I felt very jealous of that team and their offense. Imagine that, play calling that actually matches the strengths of the QB. Mind.......blown.

You're leaving out Hunt, Kelce and Hill. You need more than just a dynamic QB to have the type of dynamic offense we see the Chiefs and Rams run. You also need an offensive minded HC and coordinator.

We only have one part of this equation, Russell.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
True, but I'm more pointing out the fact that the offense, along with many teams out there are calling plays that match the strengths of the QB. Or if something is working (like the run for us) they don't just abandon it and get cute.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":25et29ig said:
True, but I'm more pointing out the fact that the offense, along with many teams out there are calling plays that match the strengths of the QB. Or if something is working (like the run for us) they don't just abandon it and get cute.

My biggest complaint is if you want to be a pound the rock ball control and target 4-5 down the field explosive play off of play action type offense?

Then draft that, develop that and BE that.

We had ONE play on Sunday over 15 yards, and Russell has one of the lowest percentage play action ratios in the league. I get it, other than Tyler, we don't have anyone that can stretch the field. Doug's hurt and the rest of our WR/TE corp is on life support.

And you sure as hell don't preach this run game mentality, and then throw the damn ball on 3rd and 4th and 1.......and fail.

T-Hawk

Reaction score
I want to see more play action with designed rollouts for Wilson. Give him room and time to pick apart the defense, and let him take the easy few yards on the ground if nothing is open.

I also want to see Wilson keep it on the RO 1 or 2 times a game to keep the defense honest. He did it once last week, and the next time they ran it on either 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1, Peterson stepped up and had a shot to stop Penny short, but he reacted to Wilson's fake and it was enough for Penny to get past him for a big gain. If Wilson hadn't kept it earlier in the game I think Peterson just goes straight for Penny and may stop him short.

getnasty

Reaction score
When are people going to understand that we are never gonna be some flashy air raid offense. Pete wants to run the ball, control the clock, limit turnovers, and take a deep shot every now and then. That is his philosophy, It's not sexy but it is what it is and thats what its gonna be. We're not going to compete for a Superbowl every year and nobody else does either outside off the Pats, it sucks to have a down year but that doesn't mean you change your mind set it means you work to get better, hope for a good draft next year, hope to plug a few solid free agents in and go from there. Now if that doesn't work for a couple of years then let's find a new coach and start over.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
T-Hawk":21py1gpm said:
I want to see more play action with designed rollouts for Wilson. Give him room and time to pick apart the defense, and let him take the easy few yards on the ground if nothing is open.

I also want to see Wilson keep it on the RO 1 or 2 times a game to keep the defense honest. He did it once last week, and the next time they ran it on either 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1, Peterson stepped up and had a shot to stop Penny short, but he reacted to Wilson's fake and it was enough for Penny to get past him for a big gain. If Wilson hadn't kept it earlier in the game I think Peterson just goes straight for Penny and may stop him short.

Wilson did keep the ball more often in the 2nd half on a couple RO plays............but we're still running this slow ass developing waiting for the 2nd half setting up the defense layered playcalling garbage that we ran with Bevell.

Where the hell is all the Schottenheimer play action/screen game we were promised?

- Read Option
- Sprint Option
- Speed Option
- TE Screen
- Gap Screens
- Slot Screen
- Bubble Screen
- RB Screen

Draw, Sprint Draw, Play Action Off Draw...No Huddles, 4 minute tempo offense.

Did I miss anything? Good god, I watched that game last night and wanted to throw a brick through my TV seeing how dynamic KC and even Denver's creativity and complexity of playcalling look compared to us. Watching our offense is like being stuck in a time machine watching football in 1976.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The most frustrating thing by far, at least for me, is that claiming you're a running team.......then when it is working, you just try to get cute on 3rd and short or 4th and short. We had the ball the entire 3rd quarter basically, they flat out couldn't stop the run at that point. And you call pass plays??? Just stop. Run the damn ball, geezus.
The long TD drive by the Bears was a thing of beauty against us as well. Creative stuff the entire drive.

D

DomeHawk

This offensive strategy is predicated on having an elite defense, we don't.

Going into this season I thought this team would need to average at least 25-26 points a game at a minimum to have a chance to get into the playoffs, we are averaging 21.