WHAT were they thinking, burning that last timeout?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I was flabbergasted when we used that last timeout. It seemed pretty obvious that the reason the Rams didn't go for it initially was because we'd be in a good position to win the game with a timeout left and a buck 39 on the clock. Once we burned that, it changed everything; they only had to get a few inches on one play to end the game.

OF COURSE they decided to go for it at that point!

What in the HELL were we thinking burning that timeout then?! It cost us a good chance at winning the game!

I'm still not over it. Absolutely livid.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Yeah, the only reason I can think of is because Hekker has a good track record of fake punt trickery. Pete may have called that last timeout to get the return unit ready for it.

I don't even know how to feel about this, honestly. All I know is as soon as I saw Goff put his helmet back on and trot back out there, I knew it was over. They weren't going for a hard count to draw the Hawks offsides. McVay called that for the win. And he got it. God I hate the Rams.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I know why he did it. He didn’t want them to run the clock down on the punt but I’m with you. I was so mad at Pete for calling it there. I was already surprised they were punting given how close hey were to a 1st down. Let them punt that ball and see what we can do on offense with only a minute on the clock and one timeout.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
It was to stop the clock and preserve time. Without the timeout, Rams would have run the clock down to under a minute before punting or going for it on 4th down.

Had they managed to stop the 4th down, they would have had a minute and a half to get into game-winning FG range.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I get the outrage, I was pretty mad too. Most coaches are gonna call the TO because they want the full 1:39 or whatever we had and are willing to trade the TO for the extra time. That line of thinking makes sense, it just didn't work out for us.

One person on twitter put it well: "What did the Rams want us to do?" and my answer to that is take the TO, so perhaps you're right in that we played into their hands. They couldn't stop the clock either so they HAD to punt it once they lined up. The worse thing is wasting a timeout earlier in the 4th with around 11 minutes left. That is and has been unacceptable and hasn't improved a bit under Pete.

HommyHawk

Reaction score
Last play rams ran was a run...once they reset ball clock was gonna run...if we dont call it there we get the ball with 30 something seconds and one time out. Was the right call rams coach just let his testes hang on that one.

minormillikin

Reaction score
I'm confused about the anger over this timeout.

The Rams had a lead, they just ran the ball, the clock was running after the measurement and they brought out the punt team. Wouldn't they have run the clock down, possibly all the way down and taken a delay of game?

I assume Pete called the timeout because they wanted those 30-something seconds for the offense.

Is the problem that it gave Goff time to talk them into going for it?

What am I missing?

Seymour

Reaction score
I was yelling you don't take a time out there as the dog was running LOL. The obvious then followed, laying the game on the line they could pick up 1/2 yard. :pukeface:

Team played well, but Crazy Pete got in his own way again. :roll:

poly1274

Reaction score
It was the right call. But they had a timeout as well I believe and they would milk the clock then call timeout and send in the offense

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Actually, the play clock would have set to 25 seconds and run. Wasted timeout anyways and gave the Rams a chance to think about things. I have watched the offense burn way more than 25 seconds between plays in hurry up with no timeouts. Let the Rams burn the 25 seconds, punt it and then operate on offense with the timeout in your pocket and ~1 minute left to go.

adeltaY

Reaction score
poly1274":pc887itn said:
It was the right call. But they had a timeout as well I believe and they would milk the clock then call timeout and send in the offense

They didn't have a timeout left. They would either have to punt it or take the delay of game. Either way they wouldn't be able to go for it unless McVay was feeling good enough to try a 4th and 6

JustTheTip

Reaction score
poly1274":4hb5tw3e said:

Rams were out of timeouts.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
minormillikin":3qhkv0du said:
I'm confused about the anger over this timeout.

The Rams had a lead, they just ran the ball, the clock was running after the measurement and they brought out the punt team. Wouldn't they have run the clock down, possibly all the way down and taken a delay of game?

I assume Pete called the timeout because they wanted those 30-something seconds for the offense.

Is the problem that it gave Goff time to talk them into going for it?

What am I missing?

I think that’s why people are upset. It ignores the fact that the Rams could have brought the offense back out even without the timeout (or even ran a fake punt). Either way, Rams were going to run the clock down to under a minute if the timeout wasn’t called.

Hawkboi

Reaction score
I don't care if it is what most coaches would or should do to save the time on the clock... It also gives the other team a chance to discuss things and decide to push it across for the 1st down... Too risky at that moment to take the time out. Put the ball back in the hands of the Russel to see what he can do with a minute, a time out, and the a possibility of having a quick drive as experience has shown can happen, and then go for the Field Goal with no time left on the clock... It would have given us a much better chance than what happened. Our Defense had a struggle stopping them all day other than inside the 20... Middle of the field, not so much.... Don't like the explanation! :141847_bnono:

adeltaY

Reaction score
Could they bring the offense out after bringing the punt team on the field with the clock running? I doubt it. The only way for them to get the offense back on the field without us taking a TO was to take the delay of game.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":y99yif27 said:
I get the outrage, I was pretty mad too. Most coaches are gonna call the TO because they want the full 1:39 or whatever we had and are willing to trade the TO for the extra time. That line of thinking makes sense, it just didn't work out for us.

One person on twitter put it well: "What did the Rams want us to do?" and my answer to that is take the TO, so perhaps you're right in that we played into their hands. They couldn't stop the clock either so they HAD to punt it once they lined up. The worse thing is wasting a timeout earlier in the 4th with around 11 minutes left. That is and has been unacceptable and hasn't improved a bit under Pete.

Agreed-The 2nd and 11 time-out call earlier in the 4th was very costly.

And you’re right about Pete’s TO call at the end allowed McVay to call the sneak and discuss the play with Goff. I just wish for once Pete would keep all 2nd half TOs till the end.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I have no idea what some of you guys are talking about.

EVERY NFL coach calls a timeout there. You don't let them run another chunk of time off the clock. Weren't we just yelling at Pete a week or two ago for this very reason?

Rams got ballsy during the timeout and did something insanely stupid. Blaming Pete for effective clock management? cmon guys.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
adeltaY":2oqea8fo said:
Could they bring the offense out after bringing the punt team on the field with the clock running? I doubt it. The only way for them to get the offense back on the field without us taking a TO was to take the delay of game.

There were over 30 seconds left on the play clock. That’s plenty of time to bring the offense back out had they wanted to.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3gssv6l1 said:
adeltaY":3gssv6l1 said:

There were over 30 seconds left on the play clock. That’s plenty of time to bring the offense back out had they wanted to.

They stopped the clock to measure. The play clock would have been set 25 and then the clock run. The Seahawks would have gotten the ball back with around a minute left and a timeout to use on offense after the punt the play. Like I said, I have watched this team waste more the 25 seconds after a long pickup in hurry up offense more than once.

adeltaY

Reaction score
hawknation2018":u578toks said:
adeltaY":u578toks said:

I honestly think there's a rule against that. You have to give the defense time to substitute or something. Anyway, I highly doubt that McVay would do that, they'd have just lined up their offense in the first place. It's the extra time afforded by the TO that solidified their decision to go for it.

Which, by the way, Hawkpower, is not a stupid decision at all. By win probability, it was absolutely the right move and teams don't do it enough (going for it on 4th and 1 regardless of where you are on the field). It makes even more sense for the Rams because they are an offensive team. I think that's going to do a lot for their team confidence. Goff was absolutely fired up after it.