We lost the game on our final possession

Reaneypark

Reaction score
We get just outside of field-goal range and then lose yardage by being stupid. All this talk about the time out and the sneak, but in the end, we had the Rams on the ropes and let them off the hook.

Oh and the read-option was there for Russell to keep at the end, but I guess he’s been told to never call his number? Seems strange considering that no one has a problem with him lead-blocking earlier in the game.

themunn

Reaction score
I thought we lost the game on Griffin's 4th down PI. I know there was a full quarter of play after that pretty much, but going into the 4th quarter with the ball and a 7 point lead it becomes a different game.

Even if our next drive ends up the same way (punt required), the Rams still need a TD on their next drive to tie.

Just felt like a stupid move, should have at least got his hand up to try and play the ball and he probably gets away with it.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
The holding call killed us, it put us at 2nd and 23. We still could have moved back into FG range, but the pass that got batted down pretty much ended our drive.

irfuben32

Reaction score
Reaneypark":2nk267xb said:
We get just outside of field-goal range and then lose yardage by being stupid. All this talk about the time out and the sneak, but in the end, we had the Rams on the ropes and let them off the hook.

Oh and the read-option was there for Russell to keep at the end, but I guess he’s been told to never call his number? Seems strange considering that no one has a problem with him lead-blocking earlier in the game.

I was really suprised with how much success they had with the Read Option when it was obvious that Russell was NEVER going to pull it and run.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
themunn":2yg8bt6o said:
I thought we lost the game on Griffin's 4th down PI

- or the holding call on Fluker
- or Dickson's terrible punt to the 21
- or the D-line giving Goff all day to throw
- or the defense not stopping the Rams on their last possession knowing it'd be three straight runs

That's the NFL, most games are close and therefore decided on 4-5 very important plays or calls. You're not being honest with yourself if you're blaming one call, it's many plays and calls that decide wins and losses.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Reaneypark":1otr52xf said:

I hate it when there is a ton of green grass in front of Wilson, and he doesn't keep it. If there was a time to keep it, that drive would have been it. Wilson is dangerous as a runner... not using him as one to win a division game doesn't make sense.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Russell's pulled hamstring was a huge factor, IMO.
Which seems strange because he usually runs when the game is on the line. One Russell read-option on that last series from the 35 after Lockett's catch and we're 8 yards closer to a winning FG, and being able to bleed the clock dry before kicking it. I think the hamstring injury made Russell choose not to keep the ball at all this game.

adeltaY

Reaction score
irfuben32":mu5aoood said:
Reaneypark":mu5aoood said:

I was really suprised with how much success they had with the Read Option when it was obvious that Russell was NEVER going to pull it and run.

It's the same as PA to be honest. you don't have to run well to use play action well just like Russ doesn't have to keep the ball to make the read defender hesitate for a split second to give the RB that bit of advantage. It's the threat of the run or QB keep that makes the play work.

themunn

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2esxks8q said:
themunn":2esxks8q said:
I thought we lost the game on Griffin's 4th down PI

- or the holding call on Fluker
- or Dickson's terrible punt to the 21
- or the D-line giving Goff all day to throw
- or the defense not stopping the Rams on their last possession knowing it'd be three straight runs

That's the NFL, most games are close and therefore decided on 4-5 very important plays or calls. You're not being honest with yourself if you're blaming one call, it's many plays and calls that decide wins and losses.

Yep, those all contributed to it, but for me that penalty was a momentum shifter. Instead of getting the ball back with a 7 point lead in the 4th quarter, the rams have 4 shots from the 5 to punch the ball in (it took 1), and now we're stuck chasing a score again, which we never managed.
Not only would a stop there have prevented them from scoring, but it's both demoralising for the Rams and encouraging for the Seahawks.
It was also the most avoidable of all of the above, but I feel confident that Griffin will at least think twice before doing it again.

Leee-roy

Reaction score
We lost the game because of "vanilla" defense, ( Brock's words), I think they only punted once.
Bad special teams.... (what was that???)
Not adjusting to their adjustments to stop the run. ( seems like the run was shut down in the 4th Q.)

Seahawk

Reaction score
The coaches have to stop going into "conservative mode" at the end of games. They looked to be playing for the Field Goal.
If they would have just played that last possession like they played the rest of the game and go for the touchdown, I think things would have turned out better.