Something is starting to smell bad

sprhawk73

Reaction score
Seeing Graham Gano of the Panthers kick a 63 yard game winning field goal is the kicker "pun intended".

We drove to the 32 on the pass play. A couple small gainers and 15 yards worth of penalties and it's decision time. Do you try a 62 yard attempt with the polish cannon who holds the record for longest field goal or give the ball back and try to stop the team you haven't been able to stop all day?

With the fact that we needed points it shouldn't even have been a question. If we kicked and missed at least we tried.

Instead we get to see the celebrating Rams on their 4th and 1 shoved into our face.

Thanks Pete, sure did like the taste of that.

So tell me, Is that writing on the wall?

rcaido

Reaction score
If he decided to kick and miss you blame Pete for going for ridiculous kick. Cano did it because there was only a few seconds left, there was till couple minutes left in the Seahawks game. We got two costly penalty, the holding was suspect.

kidhawk

Reaction score
rcaido":1uai7p4e said:
If he decided to kick and miss you blame Pete for going for ridiculous kick. Cano did it because there was only a few seconds left, there was till couple minutes left in the Seahawks game. We got two costly penalty, the holding was suspect.

Agreed...two completely different situations. If we had the ball with time running out, then you decide which is better, a shot at a 62 yard field goal or a hail mary. In that situation, odds say to punt the ball. Of course you want the punter to get the ball down to about the 10 yard line, not the 21.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
There's also a HUGE difference between a sunny day in Carolina with a little wind at Gano's back and no time on the clock, and a rainy dense day at sea level in Seattle with plenty of time to get the ball back.

It's why both teams were having a hard time getting touch backs on kickoffs.

So no, not the same. Pete trusts Janikowski, hell he made a 53 yarder. But having him try a ridiculous 63 or 64 yarder with still a chance to get the ball back? Not a good criticism my friend.

mrt144

Reaction score
I would have loved to seen a drop kick field goal. I know, I know...but cmon, it'd be fun.

OP
OP
sprhawk73

sprhawk73

Reaction score
I get it and run of the mill fans would blame him and if we had any other kicker I would too. But we happen to have one of the greatest kickers of all time.

If you have a kicker that doesn't have the range then attempting that field goal isn't even an option, but we do and PC pissed it away.

mikeak

Reaction score
Great Gano kicked a long field goal

Did you see the GB game? Did you see Mason miss not one, not two, not three, not four BUT FIVE KICKS!!!

I mean GB got down the field at the end to kick a FG with 2 secs left and game over SOLELY to put their kicker in a better mood

I love how 15 kickers are missing kicks, but Gano kicked ONE long one so that should be the measuring stick for what kickers should do every single time and how to coach the game

OP
OP
sprhawk73

sprhawk73

Reaction score
Sebas has kicked 84 yarders in practice. If you had to call on a kicker to make a long field goal to win a game the best possible person to have kicking would be him.

It just doesn't feel right, we were massive underdogs in that game and didn't go for the win after staying ahead thru out the whole game. I mean if he had missed at least we would know that we tried.

Instead we give the ball back and they tear off a 10 yard run on the first play. Come on, we couldn't stop the run all day. The Rams only had one 3 and out on the first possession of the game.

Seymour

Reaction score
sprhawk73":31rglzgl said:
Sebas has kicked 84 yarders in practice. If you had to call on a kicker to make a long field goal to win a game the best possible person to have kicking would be him.

It just doesn't feel right, we were massive underdogs in that game and didn't go for the win after staying ahead thru out the whole game. I mean if he had missed at least we would know that we tried.

Instead we give the ball back and they tear off a 10 yard run on the first play. Come on, we couldn't stop the run all day.

Bull. :177692:

We held Gurley to 3.5 YPC on 22 carries for 77 yards.

Compare that to last years at home 7.2 YPC on 21 carries for 152 yards they pulled him in the 3rd quarter!!

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2fmjcbyo said:
sprhawk73":2fmjcbyo said:

Instead we give the ball back and they tear off a 10 yard run on the first play. Come on, we couldn't stop the run all day.

Compare that to last years at home 7.2 YPC on 21 carries for 152 yards they pulled him in the 3rd quarter!!

What we couldn't stop was the jet sweep or variation thereof.

The kicker may have once been able to kick that far, but I doubt he has the strength to do it anymore, especially in the weather conditions noted.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Seymour":1g9zs6zo said:
sprhawk73":1g9zs6zo said:

But, but everyone says Gurley is the foundation of that offense and that's why the Rams won? It's nothing to do with Goff averaging over 10 yards per pass, right? :mrgreen:

Seymour

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2rhi67f9 said:
Seymour":2rhi67f9 said:
sprhawk73":2rhi67f9 said:

What we couldn't stop was the jet sweep or variation thereof.

The kicker may have once been able to kick that far, but I doubt he has the strength to do it anymore, especially in the weather conditions noted.

Now that comment I'll agree with....until Clark finally sniffed it out. Too little too late.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
sprhawk73":28hdrdbv said:
Seeing Graham Gano of the Panthers kick a 63 yard game winning field goal is the kicker "pun intended".

We drove to the 32 on the pass play. A couple small gainers and 15 yards worth of penalties and it's decision time. Do you try a 62 yard attempt with the polish cannon who holds the record for longest field goal or give the ball back and try to stop the team you haven't been able to stop all day?

With the fact that we needed points it shouldn't even have been a question. If we kicked and missed at least we tried.

Instead we get to see the celebrating Rams on their 4th and 1 shoved into our face.

Thanks Pete, sure did like the taste of that.

So tell me, Is that writing on the wall?

Matt Prater holds the NFL record of 64 in 2013, not SeaBass.
SeaBass has hit at 63.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
I think Pete was counting on Dickson to pin them inside the 5, which could have changed the outcome of the game as well.

justafan

Reaction score
sprhawk73":2p7914pk said:
I get it and run of the mill fans would blame him and if we had any other kicker I would too. But we happen to have one of the greatest kickers of all time.

If you have a kicker that doesn't have the range then attempting that field goal isn't even an option, but we do and PC pissed it away.

Actually Pete got lambasted for letting Haushka try a long one years ago. It really doesnt matter what Pete does. People are going to complain and want him fired. Seabass is a gamble anywhere on the field.

Tinymac2

Reaction score
Even if he makes it, the Rams get the ball back with around 3:00 minutes. You have to factor that in. Who knows how it turns out, your guess or my guess, but we can't extrapolate and declare us the winners.

The delay of game and holding penalty really hurt. Very proud of the Hawks pounding on the rams D.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Tough call. I wasn't watching the game so I didn't know what the field position situation was. But in terms of "if he had missed it" you're looking at giving the Rams the ball back in good field position. But so what? It was largely a "they get a first down and the game is over" situation anyway. So that part isn't a big deal. One could argue that is was a general field position battle and if they pinned the Rams back inside the 5, then the Hawks get the ball back with good field position and not far to go. I think that's an okay argument, but you're still relying on getting the ball back. I think it's a case of Pete trusting his defense more than he should have. It's not the defense of two years ago or earlier. He should have kicked it, even though I think SeaBass would have missed.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
rcaido":12gaj0km said:
Those "Couple Minutes" was 3:38 left on the game clock to be exact....You kick & miss, you give the Rams GREAT field position.....Pete Carroll (who is smarter than all the Pete Carroll Haters in here) made the RIGHT call, we got beaten by a mere 2 points, by a very stacked Team.

OP
OP
sprhawk73

sprhawk73

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1owrvmgg said:
rcaido":1owrvmgg said:
Those "Couple Minutes" was 3:38 left on the game clock to be exact....You kick & miss, you give the Rams GREAT field position.....Pete Carroll (who is smarter than all the Pete Carroll Haters in here) made the RIGHT call, we got beaten by a mere 2 points, by a very stacked Team.

We kick and score and they have to score to win. We kick and miss we lose, just like we did anyway. One choice is a possible win, the other choices are loss. We need to go for the wins in a season of uncertainty.

The Rams went 3 and out once on the first possession, so why would you assume we would get the ball back?

mrt144

Reaction score
scutterhawk":xbheabn9 said:
rcaido":xbheabn9 said:

Which is why you do the drop kick and chalk it up to experimentation and guts if it fails and unadulterated genius and guts if it works. It's a no lose situation!