What was with the super short drop kick..offs?

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I could see maybe trying it once as they were murdering us on runbacks, but several pooch drop kicks seems insane, doesn't it?

Anyone that can provide some sort of insight into this call, please do.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
johnnyfever":34osyj47 said:
I could see maybe trying it once as they were murdering us on runbacks, but several pooch drop kicks seems insane, doesn't it?

This is something you can do. Simply compare their starting field position from each type of kick.

getnasty

Reaction score
How about we just cover kicks better. I find it hard to believe Janokowski can't kick it through the end zone but apparently I'm wrong.

Seymour

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3f75k9dp said:
johnnyfever":3f75k9dp said:

This is something you can do. Simply compare their starting field position from each type of kick.

I already did this in another thread and the drop kicks netted us better results.

Seymour":3f75k9dp said:
So I looked it up and I was correct, and on kickoffs Dickson had far better results.

1) Seabass returned to LA 35
2) Seabass returned to LA 42
3) Dickson returned to LA 30
4) Dickson returned to LA 17
5) Dickson returned to LA 37
6) Dickson returned to LA 26

I'm far more concerned about the trick punts and the last one going just 23 yards when we needed to pin them back. That could well have changed to final outcome.

Chapow

Reaction score
johnnyfever":oe0o9jq3 said:

Janikowski couldn't (or wasn't) kicking the ball deep enough to force a touchback and we were doing a poor job covering kick returns. They decided to try something different.

I just wish we had a kicker that is capable of kicking the ball out of the back of the end zone but it appears we don't.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
The purpose is to cause turnovers. The drop-kicked ball behaves a little differently to a tee-kicked ball, we're kicking to guys not used to catching kicks, and the drop-kick gives more hang time so our guys can be there.

As we refine the technique, I would like us to kick the ball off to around the 30 or 35 so that we can have our guys there to compete for the ball - keep in mind it's a live football.

You give up 10 or so yards versus a touchback, but you gain an opportunity to recover the football, which you don't have on the touchback.

If you have difficulty with the concept, try watching some rugby games and it should soon be clear.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Seymour":32gx5pnn said:
Ad Hawk":32gx5pnn said:
johnnyfever":32gx5pnn said:

I already did this in another thread and the drop kicks netted us better results.

Seymour":32gx5pnn said:
So I looked it up and I was correct, and on kickoffs Dickson had far better results.

I'm far more concerned about the trick punts and the last one going just 23 yards when we needed to pin them back. That could well have changed to final outcome.

This is my point. In 5 of 6, we would have been much better off kicking it through the endzone. Instead, we get cute.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
I was at the game.

It was cold and damp.

It was clear from the early going that neither kicker was getting great distance on their kicks.

There was no wind at all in the first half, and just a slight breeze in the second half.

I believe that the humidity and cold made it hard for the ball to travel well.

For reference, the Rams had most of their kicks not make it to the end zone. Two or three did, but not all of them.

It was also pretty clear that the Rams had a very good special teams unit for kick return... fast guys, intelligent plans.

I had no problem at all with the decision. TBH I was mostly disappointed with our return game!

AgentDib

Reaction score
Weather aside, it's unusual for a kicker to boot it through the north end zone at CenturyLink. I'm not a wind-ologist but it's been a consistent effect since the stadium was built. FWIW, many of those Dickson kicks were going north and Bocci is on the money about it being damp.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
johnnyfever":ytnzcryg said:
Seymour":ytnzcryg said:
Ad Hawk":ytnzcryg said:
johnnyfever":ytnzcryg said:

Seymour":ytnzcryg said:

This is my point. In 5 of 6, we would have been much better off kicking it through the endzone. Instead, we get cute.

Clearly, that is what happened with the first two conventional kicks. Imagine if those two kicks ended up being the first and third worst kickoffs off the day. Just imagine.