Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Protection

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Protection
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:51 pm
  • Rewatching the game, one thing stuck out more than anything to me.

    Quarterback protection.

    While I do believe our OL is making huge strides, especially in the running game, there was still a stark difference between Russell Wilson's time in the pocket on throwing downs versus Goff's.

    I think I could count to 6 Mississippi almost every time Goff went back to pass. Clean pocket most the day.

    Russ? One Mississippi, Two Missis...Oh shit....

    The ironic thing about this commentary is that I actually think our OL is improving and making great strides. However, it's still pretty clear that we have a ways to go until Russell can enjoy a clean pocket on most passing plays.
    Image

    "Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 12642
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: Protection
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:55 pm
  • I am hoping that Russ will enjoy three Mississippi by mid season, progress may not be linear, I am glad that we are seeing progress after two dark years.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1069
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:28 am
  • To be fair to our OL, they were going up against Donald and Suh. The Rams OL was going up against Frank Clark and ???. Also, it wasn't the OL's fault that we asked Vannett and a RB (forgot who) to block Suh on the edge. that was never going to work.

    On the other hand, the OL only had to pass block on what, 23 dropbacks? The gameplan made sense from that respect. If we had to throw 40+ times, especially given our OC's and HC's penchant for deep passes over quick throws, it could have gotten ugly.

    Glad to see they are improving, in any case. Should get a break going against the Raiders DL sans Mack, but London games are weird.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:51 am
  • toffee wrote:I am hoping that Russ will enjoy three Mississippi by mid season, progress may not be linear, I am glad that we are seeing progress after two dark years.


    Man, Russ with 3 Mississippis would be dangerous.
    User avatar
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5396
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:04 pm


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:54 am
  • Purely a function of talent on the DL for both teams. Seattle needs pass rushing badly and we knew that coming in. You don't lose Avril and Richardson and Bennett in one season and not be crippled.

    Good news is, Seattle will have cash on hand and draft eligible prospects who can revive that with UFA/rookie talent this offseason. The key will be retaining Clark who is undoubtedly worthy of a second contract.
    User avatar
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2131
    Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:42 am
  • With the lack of offseason hitting and the way college football is played, I feel the offensive line coach is the second most important hire a team can make.
    User avatar
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2058
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 am


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:26 am
  • Aros wrote:Rewatching the game, one thing stuck out more than anything to me.

    Quarterback protection.

    While I do believe our OL is making huge strides, especially in the running game, there was still a stark difference between Russell Wilson's time in the pocket on throwing downs versus Goff's.

    I think I could count to 6 Mississippi almost every time Goff went back to pass. Clean pocket most the day.

    Russ? One Mississippi, Two Missis...Oh shit....


    Aaaand that's all that's required. It's becoming more common knowledge at this point (thank goodness) is that there's a limit on how long offensive lines are expected to protect in order for most route trees to be run. It's generally 2.5-3 seconds. Anything after that is improvisation, at which point the responsibility for the play starts shifting towards the QB and WR's.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 15901
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:52 am
  • Aros wrote:Rewatching the game, one thing stuck out more than anything to me.

    Quarterback protection.

    While I do believe our OL is making huge strides, especially in the running game, there was still a stark difference between Russell Wilson's time in the pocket on throwing downs versus Goff's.

    I think I could count to 6 Mississippi almost every time Goff went back to pass. Clean pocket most the day.

    Russ? One Mississippi, Two Missis...Oh shit....

    The ironic thing about this commentary is that I actually think our OL is improving and making great strides. However, it's still pretty clear that we have a ways to go until Russell can enjoy a clean pocket on most passing plays.


    Agree....and there has been Wilson entire career here. That is one huge reason it is so hard to rank him with others because he isn't allowed the same degree of protection as most QB's around the league.
    Wilson has an average line now vs a top defense. Goff has a top oline vs an average defense.
    That is why it was that way last game.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5314
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:55 am
  • Aros wrote:
    While I do believe our OL is making huge strides, especially in the running game, there was still a stark difference between Russell Wilson's time in the pocket on throwing downs versus Goff's.

    I think I could count to 6 Mississippi almost every time Goff went back to pass. Clean pocket most the day.

    .


    This part IMO, is a statement on our pass rush, or lack there of.
    It’s not terrible but sure could use some improvement as well.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 16912
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:01 am
  • Expecting any RB to successfully block Suh (or Donald) is wishful thinking and probably footballicide.
    TreeRon
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 262
    Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:48 pm


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:54 am
  • If you want to see how good Wilson is with a great offensive line verses an underwhelming offensive line, look at his college tape. While at NC State, Wilson played behind a terrible offensive line and, while he won way more games than he should have and pulled games out of his ass, his teams made bowl games but didn't compete for conference championships. But, in Wisconsin, with their crazy good offensive line, he took his team to a Rose Bowl and broke all kinds of passing records.
    User avatar
    aawolf
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 602
    Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:04 am


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:19 am
  • User avatar
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1575
    Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:22 am


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:32 am
  • Mistashoesta wrote:


    And yet, for the most part it's the same group of inexperienced people who started out as basketball players and concert pianists and whatever other bizarre places rhynes-with-unable would pull them from. Imagine if Solari had started with people who had, I dunno, maybe played OL for THEIR WHOLE FRICKIN' LIVES?!?
    User avatar
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc
     
    Posts: 6389
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:29 pm
    Location: Orting WA, Great Northwet


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:48 am
  • 7th in pass blocking?? Wow, I am honestly surprised by that stat, in a good way.

    Still have much room to improve but props where props are due. The OL has improved tremendously under Solari.
    Image

    "Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 12642
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:48 am
  • Aros wrote:Rewatching the game, one thing stuck out more than anything to me.

    Quarterback protection.

    While I do believe our OL is making huge strides, especially in the running game, there was still a stark difference between Russell Wilson's time in the pocket on throwing downs versus Goff's.

    I think I could count to 6 Mississippi almost every time Goff went back to pass. Clean pocket most the day.

    Russ? One Mississippi, Two Missis...Oh shit....

    The ironic thing about this commentary is that I actually think our OL is improving and making great strides. However, it's still pretty clear that we have a ways to go until Russell can enjoy a clean pocket on most passing plays.


    Agreed.

    Our Offensive line is good at Run blocking but not as good at pass protection, which is why it's imperative we stick with the run game. This gives defenses pause and gives Wilson just a little bit more time before the Defense comes crashing in.

    On the flip side, our Defensive line does well at run stopping, but seems to have difficulty getting to the passer on a consistent basis.

    Getting to the quarterback is what I consider our biggest problem on both offense and defense. IMO, if we can correct that on both sides of the ball, we could be a complete team and a true contender.
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 19485
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:51 am
  • Mistashoesta wrote:


    This is where I believe stats are misleading. I think it has a LOT more to do with our running game then actual blocking proficiency. This line is really good at run blocking, and that in itself slows the defensive rush down. IMO, just pure pass blocking, this line has a long ways to go.
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 19485
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:51 am
  • Our guards' play improves some over last year, all came from two low cost castoffs. Cable lost me when Joeckel played like a joke after Cable talked up that Joeckel played some best guard in '16, Our current line consist of three FAs signed less than 1 year, those three guys stabilized our line and powered our running.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1069
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:52 am
  • One could also make the point that we basically ran 11 most of the game. That took the rams out of base, and put them in nickel. They run a 3-4 so, we forced them to play 3 big bodies, 3 middle bods, and 5 small guys.
    advantage run game. We also almost marginalized Donald by running, squaring our guy up and just pushing him in any direction. Didn't let him use his quickness as he had to play the run first on the majority of snaps.
    slow the rush down by making them at least acknowledge the run first, and russ gets another second or so.
    seedhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2856
    Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 5:51 am


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:03 am
  • It clearly has improved, but we also have to contribute some of this to keeping defenses more honest with a strong running game. That is in part why on known passing downs the heat is still on. That said Solari is still my hero for taking our achilles heel, and making us run without a limp. :2thumbs:
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5314
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:12 am
  • It doesn’t matter what DL we’re going against. Russ has RARELY ever been given that much time. Some will argue that all a QB needs is 2.5-3 seconds but that’s B.S.. you cannot run a functional consistent offense like that

    Watch the Rams, watch any high powered offense. On several passing downs, they sometimes have 4 to 6 Mississippi before having to let it go. That gives an offense versatility. We need to hold our O-like to the same standard as any great offense in the league. Or, we can continue to write think pieces about how Russell has nothing to complain about and 2.5 seconds is the gold standard :sarcasm_on:
    User avatar
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 727
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:05 am


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:29 am
  • Scorpion05 wrote:It doesn’t matter what DL we’re going against. Russ has RARELY ever been given that much time. Some will argue that all a QB needs is 2.5-3 seconds but that’s B.S.. you cannot run a functional consistent offense like that. Watch the Rams, watch any high powered offense. On several passing downs, they sometimes have 4 to 6 Mississippi before having to let it go. That gives an offense versatility. We need to hold our O-like to the same standard as any great offense in the league. Or, we can continue to write think pieces about how Russell has nothing to complain about and 2.5 seconds is the gold standard :sarcasm_on:


    Yep, yep. Agreed.
    Image

    "Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 12642
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:27 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Mistashoesta wrote:


    This is where I believe stats are misleading. I think it has a LOT more to do with our running game then actual blocking proficiency. This line is really good at run blocking, and that in itself slows the defensive rush down. IMO, just pure pass blocking, this line has a long ways to go.


    There is no evidence this is true, though kid.

    The stat factors in the fact that we basically abandoned the run game in the first two weeks as well, went against Von and Khalil, and still come out 7th. That's pretty dang impressive.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:03 pm
  • It also goes to show which/how many national sportswriters/personalities aren't actually watching them play, because not many are referencing any improvement at all (and, rather, simply parrot the cliche of them having the worst OL in the league). Doubly makes sense when the game they did probably watch was the anemic MNF showing against the Bears.
    User avatar
    Jac
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 757
    Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:50 am


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:11 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    Mistashoesta wrote:


    This is where I believe stats are misleading. I think it has a LOT more to do with our running game then actual blocking proficiency. This line is really good at run blocking, and that in itself slows the defensive rush down. IMO, just pure pass blocking, this line has a long ways to go.


    There is no evidence this is true, though kid.

    The stat factors in the fact that we basically abandoned the run game in the first two weeks as well, went against Von and Khalil, and still come out 7th. That's pretty dang impressive.


    Actually it does show evidence of that. We are 7th overall, but 2nd over the past 3 weeks. Those are the 3 weeks we had a strong running attack. We has 60% of our stats developed in those last 3 games, which means that the pass protection wasn't nearly as good without the rushing attack being used the same way.
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 19485
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:12 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    Mistashoesta wrote:


    This is where I believe stats are misleading. I think it has a LOT more to do with our running game then actual blocking proficiency. This line is really good at run blocking, and that in itself slows the defensive rush down. IMO, just pure pass blocking, this line has a long ways to go.


    There is no evidence this is true, though kid.

    The stat factors in the fact that we basically abandoned the run game in the first two weeks as well, went against Von and Khalil, and still come out 7th. That's pretty dang impressive.


    Not against either opinions, they are actually pretty close.
    My opinion is the trending upward as our running game gets stronger. The risk now is to our up and coming running game so the weakness will be the passing game...as Kidhawk stated. I think they are trends and that is the thing the stat-makers focus on. Trends and not the whole body of work. Trends via statistics and not the whole body of work. Trends without injuries that keep the statistics stable and the learning and experience of the players as they become a cohesive unit.

    NFL....Not For Long as the games are being played.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    User avatar
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7975
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:14 pm
  • The Rams hold like bitches and it never gets called. Watch their games if you can and concentrate on the oline.
    User avatar
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2715
    Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:08 pm


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:34 pm
  • Offenses that have that much time get deeper routes open and thus more yards passing and with those deep routes they also get the routes we seen on the drag routes and delays. Opens up a whole other level of ability to do damage, when Wilson has time we see the deep ball or on the designed roll out. That's how we do it, but the drag or late releases are not there.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24726
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:42 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    Mistashoesta wrote:


    This is where I believe stats are misleading. I think it has a LOT more to do with our running game then actual blocking proficiency. This line is really good at run blocking, and that in itself slows the defensive rush down. IMO, just pure pass blocking, this line has a long ways to go.


    There is no evidence this is true, though kid.

    The stat factors in the fact that we basically abandoned the run game in the first two weeks as well, went against Von and Khalil, and still come out 7th. That's pretty dang impressive.


    Actually it does show evidence of that. We are 7th overall, but 2nd over the past 3 weeks. Those are the 3 weeks we had a strong running attack. We has 60% of our stats developed in those last 3 games, which means that the pass protection wasn't nearly as good without the rushing attack being used the same way.


    Correlation does not imply causation, especially over a three game sample size. There is no evidence over a large sample size that rushing efficiency correlates with improved pass protection. If there is, I'd love to see it and concede I am wrong.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:05 pm
  • Scorpion05 wrote:It doesn’t matter what DL we’re going against. Russ has RARELY ever been given that much time. Some will argue that all a QB needs is 2.5-3 seconds but that’s B.S.. you cannot run a functional consistent offense like that. Watch the Rams, watch any high powered offense. On several passing downs, they sometimes have 4 to 6 Mississippi before having to let it go. That gives an offense versatility. We need to hold our O-like to the same standard as any great offense in the league. Or, we can continue to write think pieces about how Russell has nothing to complain about and 2.5 seconds is the gold standard :sarcasm_on:


    *shrug*

    Are you suggesting that there are route combinations that take more than 3 seconds to run?

    Here's what you're seeing with those other offenses: the extra seconds give the QB and WR's time to improvise. Those plays where seven seconds expire and Tony Romo finds someone in the end zone? Improvisation, all of it. The offensive coordinator's intentions were beaten on that play after the first 3 seconds and the OL allowed the QB to make something happen anyway. No playbook anywhere in the league contains a play labeled “X 2 Fake Red Shallow Y Dagger Omaha Omaha Ugh Screw It Just Make the Line Protect for Seven Seconds and Throw to Whoever Gets Open.” That’s not how plays are drawn up in the NFL. Plays target a specific player or field region first, and very few route trees require more than 2.5 to 3 seconds to complete.

    Would it be nice to have an OL that can enable improvisation like that? Absolutely. And every OL must - once in a while. But the fact remains that it's a contingency for the times when the original intentions of the OC is defeated, or the QB/WR makes a mistake. Those six seconds is never the intention in and of itself.

    Which means the responsibility for a successful play is spread between QB, OC, WR's, OL, and other targets. In other words, it's a team sport.

    So Wilson has something to complain about, but it's far less than most OL-obsessed armchair analysts think. If he can't operate at least some of the time within 3 seconds, then other things are wrong with the offense and deserve examination just like the OL might.
    Last edited by MontanaHawk05 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 15901
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:09 pm
  • Plays may be designed to go to your first two or three reads within the 2.5 to 3 second frame, but you're almost never going all the way through your progression to your fourth read or checkdown in such a short time span. That doesn't mean the play is off script. You'll see Brady do this if he gets enough time very frequently. Usually the RB is open in the flat or in a soft spot for some good YAC.

    Also, Rodgers doesn't always leave the pocket when that 2.8 seconds is up. I've seen him sit in the pocket for 10 seconds at a time and just wait for someone to come open. Brees, Brady, and Ben all do the same and the advantage is that you can see the whole field. It's "off script" but it's different than escaping the pocket and cutting the field in half like RW usually does. Romo was the king of this, I've never seen a QB maximize his time in the pocket better. Of course, this requires protection to hold up for quite a while and we ain't getting that.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:16 pm
  • Speaking of in the flat, was anyone else chewing glass every time Gurley was left WIDE OPEN in the flat for an easy dump off/relief valve??!
    Image

    "Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 12642
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:21 pm
  • Aros wrote:Speaking of in the flat, was anyone else chewing glass every time Gurley was left WIDE OPEN in the flat for an easy dump off/relief valve??!


    Just poor tackling man. They get him to the ground on first contact a couple times and this is a different ballgame. Same for their WRs... meanwhile our WRs and TEs are struggling to break tackles now that Uncle Will is out.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:43 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:
    Correlation does not imply causation, especially over a three game sample size. There is no evidence over a large sample size that rushing efficiency correlates with improved pass protection. If there is, I'd love to see it and concede I am wrong.


    Are you trying to say that a good running game doesn't change the way a defense acts/reacts at the line of scrimmage? That it in know way alters their pass rushing scheme?

    It sounds like that is what you are saying, and if so, I couldn't disagree with you more. Teams with a good run game cause defenses to be on guard at all times for the rush. It keeps them from being able to pin their ears and go hard after the quarterback on most plays. This, in and of itself will show a statistical decline in pass rushing for a defense, which in turn shows pass rush improvement for the offense. It's precisely why I believe we need to continue a strong running game. Without it, Wilson is a sitting duck.
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 19485
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:51 pm
  • Aros wrote:7th in pass blocking?? Wow, I am honestly surprised by that stat, in a good way.

    Still have much room to improve but props where props are due. The OL has improved tremendously under Solari.

    Most lines don't hold pass blocks for a long time on a consistent basis. I chock this up to a switch in offensive philosophy and most of all Wilson himself. He is getting the ball out quick and he is stepping up in the pocket. When he does move around he has been smarter about it. I think he could stand to use his mobility more, especially for getting easy yardage off of the read option.That being said his pocket passing is coming along nicely thus far. People complain about him staying in the pocket, but learning this style of play is going to extend his career and make him a better player. If Wilson can learn to be a good traditional pocket passer, and merge it with his mobility, Rodgers better watch out.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2636
    Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:31 am


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:26 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:
    Correlation does not imply causation, especially over a three game sample size. There is no evidence over a large sample size that rushing efficiency correlates with improved pass protection. If there is, I'd love to see it and concede I am wrong.


    Are you trying to say that a good running game doesn't change the way a defense acts/reacts at the line of scrimmage? That it in know way alters their pass rushing scheme?

    It sounds like that is what you are saying, and if so, I couldn't disagree with you more. Teams with a good run game cause defenses to be on guard at all times for the rush. It keeps them from being able to pin their ears and go hard after the quarterback on most plays. This, in and of itself will show a statistical decline in pass rushing for a defense, which in turn shows pass rush improvement for the offense. It's precisely why I believe we need to continue a strong running game. Without it, Wilson is a sitting duck.


    This.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2245
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:55 pm
  • User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2245
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:15 pm
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:
    Correlation does not imply causation, especially over a three game sample size. There is no evidence over a large sample size that rushing efficiency correlates with improved pass protection. If there is, I'd love to see it and concede I am wrong.


    Are you trying to say that a good running game doesn't change the way a defense acts/reacts at the line of scrimmage? That it in know way alters their pass rushing scheme?

    It sounds like that is what you are saying, and if so, I couldn't disagree with you more. Teams with a good run game cause defenses to be on guard at all times for the rush. It keeps them from being able to pin their ears and go hard after the quarterback on most plays. This, in and of itself will show a statistical decline in pass rushing for a defense, which in turn shows pass rush improvement for the offense. It's precisely why I believe we need to continue a strong running game. Without it, Wilson is a sitting duck.


    This.


    It makes sense logically and is conventional wisdom but I haven't seen any evidence that it's true overall. It certainly doesn't have an effect in third and long or any obvious passing down.

    It's like saying running the ball early and often wears down a defense and leads to longer runs later in a game. It makes sense but the data doesn't support it.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:04 pm
  • The OL's pass blocking efficiency will hopefully only improve this week after they face the worst pass rush in the NFL.

    I think I severely underestimated D.J. Fluker. He seems to have improved quite a bit as a pass blocker; through these last two games, Fluker is the ranked #2 among guards in pass pro. He played an amazing game against the Rams.

    I also clearly underestimated Germain Ifedi's ability to improve at RT. I expected his pressures allowed and penalties to continue, unless he was moved to guard. That hasn't been the case. He has been average -- maybe even slightly above -- in pass protection, while facing a gauntlet of elite edge rushers.

    J.R. Sweezy has also improved a lot in pass protection. And he made the switch to the left side seemingly without a hitch. Very surprised that he didn't struggle more with that adjustment.

    Britt and Brown have been rocks, for the most part, but we anticipated that. Solari is clearly much better at teaching the fundamentals of pass protection than his predecessor.

    Staying committed to the run is a critical component for what it does in wearing down the defense and slowing the pressure, but also what it does for your own offensive line: allowing them to be the aggressor builds their confidence.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2245
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: Protection
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:39 pm
  • I agree that if they can run as well as they did Sunday, they should keep doing it!
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Protection
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:17 am
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    Aros wrote:7th in pass blocking?? Wow, I am honestly surprised by that stat, in a good way.

    Still have much room to improve but props where props are due. The OL has improved tremendously under Solari.

    Most lines don't hold pass blocks for a long time on a consistent basis. I chock this up to a switch in offensive philosophy and most of all Wilson himself. He is getting the ball out quick and he is stepping up in the pocket. When he does move around he has been smarter about it. I think he could stand to use his mobility more, especially for getting easy yardage off of the read option.That being said his pocket passing is coming along nicely thus far. People complain about him staying in the pocket, but learning this style of play is going to extend his career and make him a better player. If Wilson can learn to be a good traditional pocket passer, and merge it with his mobility, Rodgers better watch out.[/quote]
    Good post...
    The bolded part is what we need.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3970
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


Re: Protection
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:40 am
  • adeltaY wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:
    Correlation does not imply causation, especially over a three game sample size. There is no evidence over a large sample size that rushing efficiency correlates with improved pass protection. If there is, I'd love to see it and concede I am wrong.


    Are you trying to say that a good running game doesn't change the way a defense acts/reacts at the line of scrimmage? That it in know way alters their pass rushing scheme?

    It sounds like that is what you are saying, and if so, I couldn't disagree with you more. Teams with a good run game cause defenses to be on guard at all times for the rush. It keeps them from being able to pin their ears and go hard after the quarterback on most plays. This, in and of itself will show a statistical decline in pass rushing for a defense, which in turn shows pass rush improvement for the offense. It's precisely why I believe we need to continue a strong running game. Without it, Wilson is a sitting duck.


    This.


    It makes sense logically and is conventional wisdom but I haven't seen any evidence that it's true overall. It certainly doesn't have an effect in third and long or any obvious passing down.

    It's like saying running the ball early and often wears down a defense and leads to longer runs later in a game. It makes sense but the data doesn't support it.


    You're right, it really doesn't change the pass rushing/blocking for obvious passing downs like 3rd and long. Many times we saw ourselves in this situation and saw Wilson running for his life. The run game helps keep you from being in as many of these situations though when it's successful which in turn gives them fewer opportunities to go all out in the pass rush and forget the run which gives the QB just a little more time before the pressure hits.
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 19485
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Protection
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:22 am
  • PFF still hates the Seahawks offensive line, but they don’t say why (other than posting a lot of “average grades” for everyone except Duane Brown):
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... e-rankings

    #7 in pass blocking efficiency, after having faced some of the best pass rushers in the NFL through these first five weeks, and putting up some impressive rushing numbers over the last three weeks to rise to #8 in rushing yards. Yet, OL remains ranked #29?
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2245
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: Protection
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:28 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:PFF still hates the Seahawks offensive line, but they don’t say why (other than posting a lot of “average grades” for everyone except Duane Brown):
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... e-rankings

    #7 in pass blocking efficiency, after having faced some of the best pass rushers in the NFL through these first five weeks, and putting up some impressive rushing numbers over the last three weeks to rise to #8 in rushing yards. Yet, OL remains ranked #29?


    29th? Please. Worthless stats. The OL is clearly improving. I would put them 15th-18th which is a HUGE improvement.
    Image

    "Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 12642
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: Protection
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:58 pm
  • What I saw vs the Rams, if they get no better, is far above the bar to clear for OL to enable a championship IMO. Go back and watch past years and the pass offense (and run but that's a different topic) were a no-op against any team with a good DL esp the Rams.

    Goff had all day because our pass rush left in the off season and because mcvay was taking our lunch money with his play calling and the D had no idea what was going on as evidenced by wide open receivers nearly every completion.

    I honestly think our OL does just as well if they were transplanted to St. Louis. Maybe a tick worse in pass pro that doesn't matter because gurley rushes for 200 yards behind them.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8400
    Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:08 pm


Re: Protection
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:49 pm
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:The Rams hold like bitches and it never gets called. Watch their games if you can and concentrate on the oline.


    Goff had enough time to eat a sack lunch when he went back to pass because it seemed that there were two Offensive Lineman for every Seahawk rusher. When there are two on one it is easier to camouflage holding.
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7235
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:13 pm
    Location: Puyallup, WA USA


Re: Protection
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:30 pm
  • Aros wrote:Rewatching the game, one thing stuck out more than anything to me.

    Quarterback protection.

    While I do believe our OL is making huge strides, especially in the running game, there was still a stark difference between Russell Wilson's time in the pocket on throwing downs versus Goff's.

    I think I could count to 6 Mississippi almost every time Goff went back to pass. Clean pocket most the day.

    Russ? One Mississippi, Two Missis...Oh shit....


    Could it be more about the poor quality of the Seahawks pass rush against the Rams O-line than it is about the lack of protection of the Seahawks O-line?

    Frank Clark sick all week. Rasheem Green not playing. Dion Jordan just back from an injury and maybe not 100%. No decent SAM linebacker... and so on. Versus a Rams lineup that possesses some of the best D-linemen in the league. Of course there's gonna be a disparity.
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 9765
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: Protection
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:41 pm
  • The Rams OL has stonewalled everyone they've played, including a very talented Vikings front, albeit without Everson Griffen. They might be the best in the league
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR




It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:53 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information