Protection

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Rewatching the game, one thing stuck out more than anything to me.

Quarterback protection.

While I do believe our OL is making huge strides, especially in the running game, there was still a stark difference between Russell Wilson's time in the pocket on throwing downs versus Goff's.

I think I could count to 6 Mississippi almost every time Goff went back to pass. Clean pocket most the day.

Russ? One Mississippi, Two Missis...Oh shit....

The ironic thing about this commentary is that I actually think our OL is improving and making great strides. However, it's still pretty clear that we have a ways to go until Russell can enjoy a clean pocket on most passing plays.

toffee

Reaction score
I am hoping that Russ will enjoy three Mississippi by mid season, progress may not be linear, I am glad that we are seeing progress after two dark years.

adeltaY

Reaction score
To be fair to our OL, they were going up against Donald and Suh. The Rams OL was going up against Frank Clark and ???. Also, it wasn't the OL's fault that we asked Vannett and a RB (forgot who) to block Suh on the edge. that was never going to work.

On the other hand, the OL only had to pass block on what, 23 dropbacks? The gameplan made sense from that respect. If we had to throw 40+ times, especially given our OC's and HC's penchant for deep passes over quick throws, it could have gotten ugly.

Glad to see they are improving, in any case. Should get a break going against the Raiders DL sans Mack, but London games are weird.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
toffee":3gelmu12 said:
I am hoping that Russ will enjoy three Mississippi by mid season, progress may not be linear, I am glad that we are seeing progress after two dark years.

Man, Russ with 3 Mississippis would be dangerous.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Purely a function of talent on the DL for both teams. Seattle needs pass rushing badly and we knew that coming in. You don't lose Avril and Richardson and Bennett in one season and not be crippled.

Good news is, Seattle will have cash on hand and draft eligible prospects who can revive that with UFA/rookie talent this offseason. The key will be retaining Clark who is undoubtedly worthy of a second contract.

sdog1981

Reaction score
With the lack of offseason hitting and the way college football is played, I feel the offensive line coach is the second most important hire a team can make.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Aros":2ch87ke4 said:

Quarterback protection.

While I do believe our OL is making huge strides, especially in the running game, there was still a stark difference between Russell Wilson's time in the pocket on throwing downs versus Goff's.

I think I could count to 6 Mississippi almost every time Goff went back to pass. Clean pocket most the day.

Aaaand that's all that's required. It's becoming more common knowledge at this point (thank goodness) is that there's a limit on how long offensive lines are expected to protect in order for most route trees to be run. It's generally 2.5-3 seconds. Anything after that is improvisation, at which point the responsibility for the play starts shifting towards the QB and WR's.

Seymour

Reaction score
Aros":1lvvl105 said:

Quarterback protection.

The ironic thing about this commentary is that I actually think our OL is improving and making great strides. However, it's still pretty clear that we have a ways to go until Russell can enjoy a clean pocket on most passing plays.

Agree....and there has been Wilson entire career here. That is one huge reason it is so hard to rank him with others because he isn't allowed the same degree of protection as most QB's around the league.
Wilson has an average line now vs a top defense. Goff has a top oline vs an average defense.
That is why it was that way last game.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Aros":3504nglm said:

This part IMO, is a statement on our pass rush, or lack there of.
It’s not terrible but sure could use some improvement as well.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Expecting any RB to successfully block Suh (or Donald) is wishful thinking and probably footballicide.

aawolf

Reaction score
If you want to see how good Wilson is with a great offensive line verses an underwhelming offensive line, look at his college tape. While at NC State, Wilson played behind a terrible offensive line and, while he won way more games than he should have and pulled games out of his ass, his teams made bowl games but didn't compete for conference championships. But, in Wisconsin, with their crazy good offensive line, he took his team to a Rose Bowl and broke all kinds of passing records.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/1049635409108586497[/tweet]

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":1ykok8ya said:

And yet, for the most part it's the same group of inexperienced people who started out as basketball players and concert pianists and whatever other bizarre places rhynes-with-unable would pull them from. Imagine if Solari had started with people who had, I dunno, maybe played OL for THEIR WHOLE FRICKIN' LIVES?!?

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
7th in pass blocking?? Wow, I am honestly surprised by that stat, in a good way.

Still have much room to improve but props where props are due. The OL has improved tremendously under Solari.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Aros":1zhqsna2 said:

Quarterback protection.

Agreed.

Our Offensive line is good at Run blocking but not as good at pass protection, which is why it's imperative we stick with the run game. This gives defenses pause and gives Wilson just a little bit more time before the Defense comes crashing in.

On the flip side, our Defensive line does well at run stopping, but seems to have difficulty getting to the passer on a consistent basis.

Getting to the quarterback is what I consider our biggest problem on both offense and defense. IMO, if we can correct that on both sides of the ball, we could be a complete team and a true contender.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":35fwohok said:

This is where I believe stats are misleading. I think it has a LOT more to do with our running game then actual blocking proficiency. This line is really good at run blocking, and that in itself slows the defensive rush down. IMO, just pure pass blocking, this line has a long ways to go.

toffee

Reaction score
Our guards' play improves some over last year, all came from two low cost castoffs. Cable lost me when Joeckel played like a joke after Cable talked up that Joeckel played some best guard in '16, Our current line consist of three FAs signed less than 1 year, those three guys stabilized our line and powered our running.

seedhawk

Reaction score
One could also make the point that we basically ran 11 most of the game. That took the rams out of base, and put them in nickel. They run a 3-4 so, we forced them to play 3 big bodies, 3 middle bods, and 5 small guys.
advantage run game. We also almost marginalized Donald by running, squaring our guy up and just pushing him in any direction. Didn't let him use his quickness as he had to play the run first on the majority of snaps.
slow the rush down by making them at least acknowledge the run first, and russ gets another second or so.

Seymour

Reaction score
It clearly has improved, but we also have to contribute some of this to keeping defenses more honest with a strong running game. That is in part why on known passing downs the heat is still on. That said Solari is still my hero for taking our achilles heel, and making us run without a limp. :2thumbs:

Scorpion05

Reaction score
It doesn’t matter what DL we’re going against. Russ has RARELY ever been given that much time. Some will argue that all a QB needs is 2.5-3 seconds but that’s B.S.. you cannot run a functional consistent offense like that

Watch the Rams, watch any high powered offense. On several passing downs, they sometimes have 4 to 6 Mississippi before having to let it go. That gives an offense versatility. We need to hold our O-like to the same standard as any great offense in the league. Or, we can continue to write think pieces about how Russell has nothing to complain about and 2.5 seconds is the gold standard :sarcasm_on: