RBs, draft picks, and a rock and a hard place.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Two lead backs are killing it right now, particularly Carson, which leads people to despise the Penny pick. We should all be reminded that things change quickly at the position.

The Eagles are a great example right now (rock and a hard place) and will likely come knocking. Do you just see what they offer for Prosise and pull the trigger? What if they offer more for Davis? Is there a world where they pony up a second for Penny?

Obviously not including Carson here....uh yeah...no.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Procise will not fetch anything more than a 7th rounder. If someone offers that you take it without hesitation.

Keep everyone else.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, if they come knocking, we'd be fools to not at least listen to an offer, but I'd be loathe to do a trade now.

We're still early in the season, and our RBs have not proven they can last a whole season yet. Penny has huge upside (IMHO), not to mention that 5th year option we get for him being a 1st rd pick. I think people dissing the pick tend to forget that. If he pans out, we get an extra year out of him.

Plus, the Eagles are rivals. Sure, they're not in our division, but they are in our conference. Do we want to help them improve? I'm torn, and I'd want a lot for an RB deal with them.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The only back that I would trade right now is Prosise.

Carson and Davis are untouchable and I'm not willing to let Penny go without him getting a fair chance to see what we have. We need at least three RBs that we trust and I'm giving Penny the benefit of the doubt here.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Interesting responses. I can see this going all sorts of ways.

Is this scenario impacted by Davis possibly being inactive this week to rest/heal the ankle and also McKissic possibly coming back week 9?

sutz

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2hmpj4mt said:

Is this scenario impacted by Davis possibly being inactive this week to rest/heal the ankle and also McKissic possibly coming back week 9?
I've been wondering what happened to Davis. I never saw a comment on him. I wouldn't trade him based on missing one week with a tweaked ankle.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I don't see the Eagles trading for one of the Seahawks' RBs because you can get decent RB play off the street.

As evidence, see the Hawks' very own Chris Carson and Mike Davis.

Remember, before going to the Eagles Ajayi was coming off a Pro-Bowl and he only netted a 4th round pick.

Guys like McKissic or Prosise in the absolute best case scenario go for a conditional 6th or 7th, but to be honest, I can't think of a single case of a team trading draft capital for another team's RB #3 or #4.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
sutz":15dqqm77 said:
vin.couve12":15dqqm77 said:

I've been wondering what happened to Davis. I never saw a comment on him. I wouldn't trade him based on missing one week with a tweaked ankle.
Oh, not what I meant. I meant that it would mean 3 healthy backs on the roster and we have seemed to get tje injury bug at the worst times.

And we might need to rest a back every so often, the way we run.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2rhhvopk said:
Two lead backs are killing it right now, particularly Carson, which leads people to despise the Penny pick. We should all be reminded that things change quickly at the position.

The Eagles are a great example right now (rock and a hard place) and will likely come knocking. Do you just see what they offer for Prosise and pull the trigger? What if they offer more for Davis? Is there a world where they pony up a second for Penny?

Obviously not including Carson here....uh yeah...no.
With our injury history, you keep everyone (not named Prosise).

Atradees

Reaction score
I dont know. The Eagles are having a bit of hard time with injuries.

Prosise is done. Penny speculation during the draft but he hasnt helped his stock too much.

I just dont think anyone would call us about running backs.

It would be nice to have an empty roster spot to bring in kickers for a look.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
If any team offers a new tub and training table for Prosise, you jump on that. No telling how worn down the Hawks' equipment is now.

...or even a 7th. IMO, you hang on to Carson of course, Davis and McKissic. And for better or worse they're not trading Penny.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The Penny pick was necessary.

We already went into a season 'hoping' a RB would be recovered in a different season. Remember Rawls? (That was stupid btw even back then.)

Penny was an important pick because he was insurance if Carson could not go. Davis is not a lead back.

Yes, you CAN get a good RB in the later rounds. There are good RBs that come out of the 4th - 7th rounds. But you don't have good odds. Because a lot of RBs go in those rounds and only a few become good players. So sure, you CAN get a good one in those rounds but you don't pin your season on it.

We needed a RB that could start. You get those in the 1st -2nd rounds. Or you can draft one in the 5th round and hope you picked one of the 15 that is starter quality. Not a riskless move though.

Penny came in overweight and with poor work ethic. I generally don't ever think you draft a player with a poor work ethic but here we are. But for a team to try to go run first and pin it all on a RB with a slight injury history and then a journeyman? Not a recipe for success.

We have a 1st round pick and we haven't developed him yet. Can he be good? We have no idea. But trading 1sts for 2nds seems a recipe for more depth issues later.

And because RBs are undervalued you won't get enough for him anyway.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I get the Penny pick to fill a need on the roster given the injury history of Carson, Prosise, and Davis. The disconcerting part is that he's the third string RB. You'd think a first round RB would at least be the "2" in the "1-2" punch, but he isn't even that. The fact that he didn't see a snap on offense is concerning because that's your top pick not contributing anything save for a special teams snap in a whole game.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Something to remember is that at some point soon you probably are bringing back McKissic too. The only RB I would not trade right now is Carson. Davis is available for the right price as is anyone else in my book.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
One injury to a current RB (knock on wood) and the Penny pick is validated. That's why I'm not going to get twisted in a bunch about it.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Is it worth considering that McKissic isn't a real RB in that he's not a real between the tackles runner? Nice in tje pass game, sure, but he's a sack of potatoes like tje small WR that he is when he gets hit.

Does that actually constitute a RB in our style of inside running?

TreeRon

Reaction score
"Penny came in..........and with poor work ethic"

Where does this come from?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":iwy7hezk said:
One injury to a current RB (knock on wood) and the Penny pick is validated. That's why I'm not going to get twisted in a bunch about it.
Can't be validated if he's a bad player. This was also a draft where RBs were considered a strength, even if he ends up okay I think it was a horrible pick -- especially since they passed up a guard that is smashing it right now in Will Hernandez -- a position that was desperately needed.