Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:32 pm
  • https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/r ... 2018-10-11

    It's good to see, and hopefully the trend continues. Under the former offensive coaching regime, red zone scoring was often a struggle and tended to be more of a coin flip (48-55%).

    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2245
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:59 pm
  • And the really good part is that we're scoring with RBs on running plays. :2thumbs:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 15198
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:03 pm
  • sutz wrote:And the really good part is that we're scoring with RBs on running plays. :2thumbs:


    This is a really big deal to me. Again, there may be no "moral victories," but after last season, it sure feels like one. It's small successes that can lead to greater ones.
    ____________
    BLUE and GREEN...
    User avatar
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1855
    Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:25 am


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:09 pm
  • Ad Hawk wrote:
    sutz wrote:And the really good part is that we're scoring with RBs on running plays. :2thumbs:


    This is a really big deal to me. Again, there may be no "moral victories," but after last season, it sure feels like one. It's small successes that can lead to greater ones.

    I'm pretty sure we already have more rushing TDs by RBs than we had all last season. Nice to not be one dimensional in the red zone. :2thumbs:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 15198
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:34 pm
  • Wait, I thought Schottenheimer was already indicted by most of .NET prior to the start of the preseason? I'm confused.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 29970
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:55 pm
  • Everybody wants to be first on the bandwagon.
    User avatar
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc
     
    Posts: 6389
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:29 pm
    Location: Orting WA, Great Northwet


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:16 pm
  • This is great!
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:40 pm
  • Great stat. This team is on the rise.
    Image

    "Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 12642
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:44 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Wait, I thought Schottenheimer was already indicted by most of .NET prior to the start of the preseason? I'm confused.


    People who were willing to give him a chance probably mostly kept quiet. The negative shouting-down was difficult to dialogue with.

    I doubt there's much of a bandwagon yet.
    ____________
    BLUE and GREEN...
    User avatar
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1855
    Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:25 am


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:17 pm
  • IMHO, our running game has improved, our OL has improved, WR is the weak link at this point, it's time for our WR corp to step up.

    So far, we had ONE functional WR in Lockett. As for the rest, Marshall dropped too many balls and had problem getting open; Baldwin has been invisible so far; Brown? what Brown? I am glad that Moore stepped in Rams game .... If we could have one functional WR out of Baldwin, Brown, or Moore, our offense could start surprising people.

    I am liking Schotty/Solari's use of Fant as blocking TE, when Fant was in the game, we essentially had six linemen, Love to see Schotty game plan for throwing to Fant in short yardage situation just to keep the DCs guessing. Fant may not have speed for 10 yards or so, but he is 6'8" and a hard to move 320 lbs, and Fant claimed that he could still dunk. haha Fant as H back?

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1069
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:25 am
  • That's good news add to that Wilson hasn't hit his peak this year either. I still don't think there a playoff team but win against the Raiders and maybe there's a chance.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1016
    Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:10 pm


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:40 am
  • sutz wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:
    sutz wrote:And the really good part is that we're scoring with RBs on running plays. :2thumbs:


    This is a really big deal to me. Again, there may be no "moral victories," but after last season, it sure feels like one. It's small successes that can lead to greater ones.

    I'm pretty sure we already have more rushing TDs by RBs than we had all last season. Nice to not be one dimensional in the red zone. :2thumbs:


    They had one rushing TD from a player other than Russell Wilson last year (JD McKissic). Through week 5, they have 4 rushing TDs by players other than Wilson.
    User avatar
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1866
    Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:12 am


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:49 am
  • Ad Hawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Wait, I thought Schottenheimer was already indicted by most of .NET prior to the start of the preseason? I'm confused.


    People who were willing to give him a chance probably mostly kept quiet. The negative shouting-down was difficult to dialogue with.


    That is what I did. I had to see what they were doing before I started to complain. There are signs of being better than folks thought. There are signs of weakness as well but I am hopeful.

    I would prefer they had a better record but if they can take out the Raiders, we will be in pretty decent shape.
    BullHawk33
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 424
    Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:47 pm
    Location: Puyallup


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:53 am
  • Ad Hawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Wait, I thought Schottenheimer was already indicted by most of .NET prior to the start of the preseason? I'm confused.


    People who were willing to give him a chance probably mostly kept quiet. The negative shouting-down was difficult to dialogue with.

    I doubt there's much of a bandwagon yet.


    Anyone who was even slightly optamstic about BS had no knowledge or his past where he has failed numerous times. I thought last game was a good one for him but let's not act like the previous 4 were any good. Hopefully the lines continues to improve, we stick to our identity and BS is closer to the guy that called the Rams game and not the Cardinals one.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2865
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:05 am
  • Plus hate to be a downer but we are still in the bottom half of the league in points per game.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2865
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:19 am
  • It's the OL..the Fluker-Sweezy guard combo looks like the real deal. Run baby run !!!... :irishdrinkers:
    User avatar
    xray
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 168
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:29 am
    Location: AZ


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:04 am
  • Aros wrote:Great stat. This team is on the rise.



    Won't some here be disappointed? :snack:
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5339
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:04 am
  • xray wrote:It's the OL..the Fluker-Sweezy guard combo looks like the real deal. Run baby run !!!... :irishdrinkers:

    Not to mention that Britt looks better at center with guards that know what they're doing. I think most of the complaints about Britt the last couple of seasons was because of the guys on either side of him.

    :2thumbs:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 15198
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:14 am
  • GeekHawk wrote:Everybody wants to be first on the bandwagon.


    Naw. I dont wanna be first. I wanna see what they are stepping into and see if it washes off before I step into it. Might be a bed of roses on top of a dead skunk. That will ruin a persons day. :stirthepot: :rumble: :180670:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    User avatar
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7975
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:16 am
  • :0190l: :2thumbs: :0190l: :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers: :2thumbs: :0190l:
    sutz wrote:And the really good part is that we're scoring with RBs on running plays. :2thumbs:
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    User avatar
    Seafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5832
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:30 pm
    Location: Helotes, TX


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:08 am
  • We have a good % of RZ conversions.

    But we aren't getting to the RZ enough for it to matter, but for against the Rams.
    One good game in 5 for the offense isn't going to cut it either.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3271
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:39 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:We have a good % of RZ conversions.

    But we aren't getting to the RZ enough for it to matter, but for against the Rams.
    One good game in 5 for the offense isn't going to cut it either.


    This is also a good point. Gotta get more RZ possessions.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:42 am
  • Some of that is the 'explosive plays'. But the cost of that, is we are one of the worst teams in the league at 3 and outs for the offense.

    So that RZ % might be coming at a tremendous cost. I like they fixed it.

    But everything else about this offense is broken if a giant % of your drives are just punts and a good % of those are 3 and outs.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3271
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:45 am
  • The run game and PA have shown to work.

    Our straight dropback passing game is abysmal, however.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:06 am
  • See? Everyone wans to be first on the bandwagon. Not the 'winner' bandwagon, the 'fire Schotty' bandwagon. At least I waited most of a season before starting to complain about bevel back in the day, I wasn't vocally all over him from the very start. At least as far as I remember.
    User avatar
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc
     
    Posts: 6389
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:29 pm
    Location: Orting WA, Great Northwet


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:09 am
  • <edited for being redundant and repetitious>
    Last edited by GeekHawk on Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc
     
    Posts: 6389
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:29 pm
    Location: Orting WA, Great Northwet


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:18 am
  • That is because Schotty has a defined track record.

    If you expect different results, well that is on you.








    Gentle reminder:
    Teams don't generally go to the playoffs with a 'pretty good' defense and a 'not terrible' offense.

    You need to at least be good at something. So not being awful isn't really that great an accomplishment. That said, the offense has been awful - even when you include the one good game of offense against the Rams.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3271
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:26 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Wait, I thought Schottenheimer was already indicted by most of .NET prior to the start of the preseason? I'm confused.

    Yup, Schotty is Potty. :lol:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6503
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:32 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:That is because Schotty has a defined track record.

    If you expect different results, well that is on you.








    Gentle reminder:
    Teams don't generally go to the playoffs with a 'pretty good' defense and a 'not terrible' offense.

    You need to at least be good at something. So not being awful isn't really that great an accomplishment. That said, the offense has been awful - even when you include the one good game of offense against the Rams.


    He took a Jets offense to two-consecutive AFC Championship Games. A Jets team that had Mark Sanchez at QB.

    I think the offense is starting to build a track record of being very good at running the ball, as we have seen over the last three weeks. They have also been amazing at play action passing. Russell Wilson has a 100+ QB rating, once again. They don’t turn the ball over. They’re physical at the point of attack. And their red zone offense has been dominant.

    Things are starting to come together. Wilson is starting to play like Wilson. And the pieces around him are falling into place around him.

    They’re not a finished product yet. But things are looking up from where they were in those first two weeks under a new coordinator.
    Last edited by hawknation2018 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2245
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:34 am
  • GeekHawk wrote:See? Everyone wans to be first on the bandwagon. Not the 'winner' bandwagon, the 'fire Schotty' bandwagon. At least I waited most of a season before starting to complain about bevel back in the day, I wasn't vocally all over him from the very start. At least as far as I remember.



    :bow: :baityes:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    User avatar
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7975
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:42 am
  • getnasty wrote:Plus hate to be a downer but we are still in the bottom half of the league in points per game.


    And last year we were 11th in the league in points per game and this site was overrun with posts ranting about how awful our offense was and fire everyone. And yes, obviously there were problems, but at the end of the day we were the 11th highest scoring offense in the league and everyone was acting like we were the worst by far.

    Also, even though we are 17th in the league in ppg right now, we are actually averaging more ppg than we were last season when we were 11th.
    User avatar
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2631
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:53 am
  • Chapow wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Plus hate to be a downer but we are still in the bottom half of the league in points per game.


    And last year we were 11th in the league in points per game and this site was overrun with posts ranting about how awful our offense was and fire everyone. And yes, obviously there were problems, but at the end of the day we were the 11th highest scoring offense in the league and everyone was acting like we were the worst by far.

    Also, even though we are 17th in the league in ppg right now, we are actually averaging more ppg than we were last season when we were 11th.


    Even after what was a slow start — nay, an atrocity of offensive football — in the first two games of the season, they are averaging more points per game than they did last season with a healthy Doug Baldwin, Jimmy Graham, Paul Richardson, and Russell Wilson setting an NFL record for 4th quarter production and leading the league in passing TDs and total yards.

    They are starting to do things with the run game and play action passing that they haven’t done since Marshawn Lynch was in his prime. But even then, there was not this level of commitment to the running game. If the trend continues, they should be a Top 4 rushing offense and with a QB with a 100+ rating.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2245
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:59 am
  • getnasty wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Wait, I thought Schottenheimer was already indicted by most of .NET prior to the start of the preseason? I'm confused.


    People who were willing to give him a chance probably mostly kept quiet. The negative shouting-down was difficult to dialogue with.

    I doubt there's much of a bandwagon yet.


    Anyone who was even slightly optamstic about BS had no knowledge or his past where he has failed numerous times. I thought last game was a good one for him but let's not act like the previous 4 were any good. Hopefully the lines continues to improve, we stick to our identity and BS is closer to the guy that called the Rams game and not the Cardinals one.

    We're Leaps & Bounds BETTER that we were Last Season under the Cable - Bevell combo.
    Schottenheimer can only be as good as the players/tools that he has to work with.
    Bevell was tied to, & got raked over the coals for trying to make Cable's screwed up Offensive Line not look so inept.
    I don't think that ANYONE was under the illusion that the Seahawks were going to come out of the chute and instantly become top of the League in scoring.
    One thing I do know, we eked out an ugly win in AZ, only to have folks piss & moan about it, and we lose a tight shootout with one of the Leagues best teams, and we're still having to put up with the same OLD pissing & moaning.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6503
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:15 am
  • When was the last time someone posted something positive about this team and we didn't have people hijacking the thread with essentially "So? WHAT ABOUT THIS NEGATIVE THING? WE MUST FOCUS ON THE NEGATIVES AND IGNORE THE POSITIVES!"

    I thought red zone scoring was like the most important thing in football or something with how much attention it got last season when we were not good at it. Every time someone would point out that we were actually top half of the league in scoring it was always, "So? Red zone scoring is abysmal!". Now it's "Hey look, we're #1 in the league in red zone scoring!" and the response is "So? We're still bad at these other things!".
    User avatar
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2631
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:28 am
  • Red Zone Scoring % is a KPI.

    It is an indicator.

    What matters is scoring more points than the other team.

    If it gets you hot and bothered to see we are doing a great job once we get in the RZ but we barely get there? Sure, whatever.

    But we don't have our old defense so we better score some points. Unless you like being 7-9 but having an OMG RZ % for the few times we actually make it there.

    Right now, we have a trend of 1 game where the offense did not completely suck. So until they do it for 3 games it probably does not matter until they do. No matter how many excuses people make for a crappy OC that had years of crappy offenses with plenty of apparently 'good' excuses as to why.

    It does not change the reality that we have an OC with a track record of mediocre to terrible offenses (for a variety of reasons) and after apparently 1 game of not being terrible, but still not being able to muster a successful offense at the end of the game for a final drive we actually needed - people want hosannas heaped on our OC.

    We had to improve our RZ %. We did. By apparently not getting in the RZ much and getting even worse on 3 and outs than before. Yay?

    And last year we were #1 on 4th quarter scoring drive effectiveness. Want to guess what we are now?

    Improving one thing and getting worse at something just as important is not improving. But it MIGHT be a sign they are getting their ish together so we will see what the next 3 games hold.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3271
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:00 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Red Zone Scoring % is a KPI.

    It is an indicator.

    What matters is scoring more points than the other team.

    If it gets you hot and bothered to see we are doing a great job once we get in the RZ but we barely get there? Sure, whatever.

    But we don't have our old defense so we better score some points. Unless you like being 7-9 but having an OMG RZ % for the few times we actually make it there.

    Right now, we have a trend of 1 game where the offense did not completely suck. So until they do it for 3 games it probably does not matter until they do. No matter how many excuses people make for a crappy OC that had years of crappy offenses with plenty of apparently 'good' excuses as to why.

    It does not change the reality that we have an OC with a track record of mediocre to terrible offenses (for a variety of reasons) and after apparently 1 game of not being terrible, but still not being able to muster a successful offense at the end of the game for a final drive we actually needed - people want hosannas heaped on our OC.

    We had to improve our RZ %. We did. By apparently not getting in the RZ much and getting even worse on 3 and outs than before. Yay?

    And last year we were #1 on 4th quarter scoring drive effectiveness. Want to guess what we are now?

    Improving one thing and getting worse at something just as important is not improving. But it MIGHT be a sign they are getting their ish together so we will see what the next 3 games hold.


    Are three-and-outs statistically worse in the five games this season than they were in 2017? That seems to be your claim. Do you have a link for that? I’m not seeing that stat on teamrankings.com. It would be interesting to evaluate if true.

    There were a bunch in the win over the Cowboys. Two against Arizona. One against the Rams.

    Every time a major issue like that has arisen, it seems to be corrected in short order. Abandoned running game? They respond with three-straight games of dedicated running plays and 100-yard rushers. 3 and outs a problem? Those steadily decline in the following weeks. Lack of usage of play action? A majority of the passing plays utilized action against the Rams with tremendous success. Without acknowledging the offensive improvement, you risk missing the forest for the trees.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2245
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:18 am
  • Are 3 and outs statistically worse?

    Not tremendously. But we sure are not improving.

    We were 29th last year, now we are 30th. So statistically? No, the sample size is too low. We still have a full year to go but we have a number of very good teams to contend with shortly. But given the schedule? Unless things change, it will not get better - our opponents get much better after this 3 game stretch (not counting the 49ers).

    It sure isn't improving. Which is a problem if you don't have a lights out defense. Especially because I do not believe that our defense is going to continue getting all these turnovers that are currently bailing them out more than any of us expected.

    We are five games in. The offense looks bad. We had one good game of offense against a team that had a weakness that perfectly correlated to an area we want to emphasize. Can we keep that up?

    Is the last game a trend, improvement or outlier? Nobody knows. But for all this supposed 'improvement' they couldn't make it work when they absolutely had to have it - in the 4th quarter. So what good is it?

    If you want to run the ball and play defense to keep it close, you need a damned offense that can take the lead when it is close.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3271
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:33 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Are 3 and outs statistically worse?

    Not tremendously. But we sure are not improving.

    We were 29th last year, now we are 30th. So statistically? No, the sample size is too low. We still have a full year to go but we have a number of very good teams to contend with shortly. But given the schedule? Unless things change, it will not get better - our opponents get much better after this 3 game stretch (not counting the 49ers).

    It sure isn't improving. Which is a problem if you don't have a lights out defense. Especially because I do not believe that our defense is going to continue getting all these turnovers that are currently bailing them out more than any of us expected.

    We are five games in. The offense looks bad. We had one good game of offense against a team that had a weakness that perfectly correlated to an area we want to emphasize. Can we keep that up?

    Is the last game a trend, improvement or outlier? Nobody knows. But for all this supposed 'improvement' they couldn't make it work when they absolutely had to have it - in the 4th quarter. So what good is it?

    If you want to run the ball and play defense to keep it close, you need a damned offense that can take the lead when it is close.


    According to FO’s DVOA (an imperfect metric, but it’s a time saver), the Seahawks have played the 4th hardest schedule in the NFL in these first five games (three on the road). Their remaining schedule is ranked 20th.

    https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa- ... oa-ratings
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2245
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:02 pm
  • My only current concern with Schotty's offense is how we play on the road. At this point, it's pretty clear that we play MUCH MUCH better at home. Which may speak to the complexity of the offense.

    I will say this. I think, and this may be why Pete hired Schotty...that because he's so good at calling run plays things are looking up. The idea was probably that if we can establish a strong run game, the same run game Schotty established with the Jets....Russell Wilson will carve teams up. Wilson is the best QB Schotty has ever had, and that makes a difference even if Schotty isn't able to fully maximize Wilson's strengths

    Despite how well we're running the ball, defenses are NOT giving us 8-9 man boxes because they would rather worry about Wilson beating them over Carson/Davis beating them. That's great news for Carson/Davis and the running success should continue. Plus, a running game always travels, and will be key for November, December, and January games.
    User avatar
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 727
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:05 am


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:19 pm
  • DVOA
    #31 Detroit (21 O, 30 D) —AWAY GAME
    #30 Arizona (31 O, 8 D) —HOME GAME
    #29 SF (27 O, 21 D) —HOME & AWAY
    #26 Oakland (13 O, 29 D) —NEUTRAL SITE
    #24 Minnesota (15 O, 26 D) —HOME GAME
    + 3 more home games against Green Bay (#13), LA Chargers (#5), and KC (#3).

    There are also two more away games at Carolina (#12) and the Rams.

    It won’t be easy, but nine wins does not look improbable.

    Eight wins are at least likely, though the Vikings game at home poses more of a challenge than DVOA suggests.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2245
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:06 pm
  • Weren't we pretty good in the redzone last year even with the disaster of a run game we had? Jimmy was pretty damn reliable there once he and Russ got their goal line connection sorted out. Now that we can run it in from inside the five, we are looking even better, especially if we can get a reliable receiver in the RZ. That's why I wouldn't mind holding onto Marshall for a few weeks to see if he can fulfill that Graham role of being a great RZ threat, even if nothing else - he's certainly cheaper
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:36 pm
  • fap
    "...and now they got a bicycle!"
    User avatar
    Sac
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12804
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
    Location: With your sister


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:40 pm
  • David Moore is quietly putting his hand up as a red zone target. Obviously Dissly was one.

    The things we are seeing are indicative of the offensive philosophy of running the ball to bring in the defense and then using speed to pass over the top of it. Lockett is producing career numbers outside the red zone, and we're scoring on the ground inside the red zone. Wilson is throwing to wide-open receivers down-field, so there is almost no chance of a turnover. This is precisely how it's drawn up.

    People were asking how we were going to replace the 10 TDs from Graham and Richardson. This is how.
    User avatar
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2102
    Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 3:22 pm
    Location: Auckland, New Zealand


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:48 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:Weren't we pretty good in the redzone last year even with the disaster of a run game we had? Jimmy was pretty damn reliable there once he and Russ got their goal line connection sorted out. Now that we can run it in from inside the five, we are looking even better, especially if we can get a reliable receiver in the RZ. That's why I wouldn't mind holding onto Marshall for a few weeks to see if he can fulfill that Graham role of being a great RZ threat, even if nothing else - he's certainly cheaper


    According to some of the break out drive stats found on FO from 2017, the Seahawks were merely average in Pts/RZ @16.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3062
    Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:06 pm
  • I was a supporter of Schotty when we hired him, he had a balanced attack and was a Coryell student on offense, I also touted his effect with Brees when he was his QB coach as well, that was back when he was hired. I thought the fact we hired Solari as well would be a great one tow punch and eventually make Wilson a better QB and a more disciplined one as well. Granted until last week Wilson has not looked comfortable and seemed to be fighting things.


    That could be expected since Bevell basically was a whiffle ball as far as being able to hold him to task to the point Pete had to step in one game and tell him to get his act together.


    Our deep ball success has been very high so far as well as the Run game, thats a combo of both Schotty and Solari able to get the offense working together and having a balanced attack that both the receivers as well as Backs have bought into.


    It should only get better the more comfortable everyone gets in it.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24726
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Seahawks are #1 in red zone scoring
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:54 pm
  • mrt144 wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:Weren't we pretty good in the redzone last year even with the disaster of a run game we had? Jimmy was pretty damn reliable there once he and Russ got their goal line connection sorted out. Now that we can run it in from inside the five, we are looking even better, especially if we can get a reliable receiver in the RZ. That's why I wouldn't mind holding onto Marshall for a few weeks to see if he can fulfill that Graham role of being a great RZ threat, even if nothing else - he's certainly cheaper


    According to some of the break out drive stats found on FO from 2017, the Seahawks were merely average in Pts/RZ @16.


    Hmm I wonder how they rates compared to other years for the Seahawks and I'm also curious about the splits between the first and second halves of the season. It seemed to me that last season there was a marked improvement when Jimmy and Russ got in sync.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR




It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:46 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information