Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Magic Do Over

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Magic Do Over
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:06 pm
  • It's February 1, 2015. Approximately 6pm PST.

The Seattle Seahawks have the ball on the Patriots one yard line.

Somehow, some wacky way, you have found a Do Over button. However, you only get one shot to make it right.

What play do you call?

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Re: Magic Do Over
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:13 pm
  • You really want to do this?
    OpHawk
    NET Starter

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:14 pm
  • Same play, same first read by Wilson, but an easy toss to an open Lynch. (Knowing what I know now, of course)
    It was a catch.
    SeaMeat
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:17 pm
  • Hand the ball off to Beastmode and then I’m going to freeze my keister off again in a Super Bowl parade in Seattle.
    NE was 31st in goalline defense that year (see next to last).
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:18 pm
  • OpHawk wrote:You really want to do this?

Yes. It's a Seahawks fan forum. What else are we going to talk about? Mid-century modern design?

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:19 pm
  • I am going with a naked bootleg. All. The. Way.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:40 pm
  • Aros wrote:I am going with a naked bootleg. All. The. Way.

You go nekkid all ya want .....I am not watching....:P....

But my choice would be a boot leg to the right and then pass back to the Linchpin.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:41 pm
  • Aros wrote:I am going with a naked bootleg. All. The. Way.

Yep, this is where I'd go, too.

There was time to run a couple plays, but not starting with a rushing play.

The bootleg would put the ball toward the sideline where an int. would be less likely, and RW could still run it in if the D stayed home. I like the chances.

If it falls incomplete, you live to run the ball as time expires, then you at least tried both options.

Running the ball first was not an intelligent play either.
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:44 pm
  • Aros wrote:It's February 1, 2015. Approximately 6pm PST.

The Seattle Seahawks have the ball on the Patriots one yard line.

Somehow, some wacky way, you have found a Do Over button. However, you only get one shot to make it right.

What play do you call?

Passing wasn't a huge crime. It was the play call itself, which included depending on your 4th or 5th best receiver to make a huge play. Furthermore, it's ludicrous to think that the head coach, OC, nor the QB had the common sense to call that specific play off (Why they called no timeout was crazy).

But this is all hindsight. If that play is ran 100 times, 99 times it doesn't get picked. Butler (Who has turned into a one play wonder btw) made an extraordinary play.
    Hawker8989
    NET Practice Squad

Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:45 pm
  • It was second down. Give it to the beast. If he doesn't make it, run it again, or pass, but run it on second down.
    Now a guppy driver. Loving the Hawks with my bro Nanomoz for over 30 years
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:52 pm
  • Same play Wilson scored against the Packers in the NFC championship game.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:16 pm
  • rjdriver wrote:It was second down. Give it to the beast. If he doesn't make it, run it again, or pass, but run it on second down.

If you run and don't score on 2nd down. It's almost game over.
    poly1274
    NET Rookie

Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:25 pm
  • 2nd down clock running with goalline heave in the game? It should be a pass play.

Any hard run fake and roll out pass would be the right call. Also, make sure your best pass catchers are on the field, not some punt coverage bum who has a wide receiver number.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:44 pm
  • Have been talking with friends and coworkers for years about this; in my mind I always envision Russ keeping it and running for the outside corner.
    six sigma
    NET Rookie

Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:55 pm
  • Tight end lined up on the end of the line, play action fake to the left, tight end chips then releases, Russ walks in or its a easy pitch and catch .
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:58 pm
  • poly1274 wrote:
    rjdriver wrote:It was second down. Give it to the beast. If he doesn't make it, run it again, or pass, but run it on second down.

Why?

They had a timeout and two more downs.

Running was a legit option there. I think if the pass on 2nd was incomplete they were running on 3rd
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:02 pm
  • fake punt
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:45 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    poly1274 wrote:
    rjdriver wrote:It was second down. Give it to the beast. If he doesn't make it, run it again, or pass, but run it on second down.

Why?

Running was a legit option there. I think if the pass on 2nd was incomplete they were running on 3rd

No I'm pretty sure they used their third and final timeout on Kearse's catch. And it was like 30 seconds left on 2nd down.
    poly1274
    NET Rookie

Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:20 am
  • no we had one timeout remaining at the time.

My own view is same as others. Run fake, roll out to right, let Wilson run it to the corner with WRs blocking.

Get out of bounds if you cant get in, 3rd down run and then timeout if Lynch fails to power in. 4th down = final play of the game for all the marbles. If it gets that far, some 'Seatty special' equivalent pass play to Wilson in the end zone to walk off to a ticker tape parade back to Seattle.

Ah how we wish things could have been different.
    Followthelegion
    NET Rookie

Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:53 am
  • Designed QB run
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:13 am
  • Hand off to Lynch or Wilson could have run it to the right pylon easy...but not a 8 foot pass when they needed 9 against a stacked D. They had a time out left also ;they could of run 2 plays . IMO
    xray
    NET Rookie

Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:30 am
  • Hand the ball off to Lynch against the worst goal line defense in the league that were already gassed and the second Lombardi gets stashed in the case.
    Last edited by pittpnthrs on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:52 am
  • poly1274 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    poly1274 wrote:

Why?

No I'm pretty sure they used their third and final timeout on Kearse's catch. And it was like 30 seconds left on 2nd down.

Im almost positive they had their timeout.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:21 am
  • 2nd down 1 timeout with 26 seconds left.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:25 am
  • My pick would be the same one our star players would have picked. Run Lynch.
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:02 am
  • Exactly!

However, woulda, coulda, shoulda on this has been going on since XLIX ended. I hate pulling the scab off this wound it serves little present use. Interesting exercise but the whole management of the end of that game after the ball was caught by Kearse was flawed, and it is deeper than the one play.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:04 am
  • As Pitt mentioned, NE was a terrible GL defense - and it was the end of the game with them tired.

Lynch would have walked in.

My magic do-over would have been keeping Tate and not getting Harvin but if that was my only magic do-over then I would have run Lynch to watch him walk into the EZ and win MVP.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:51 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:As Pitt mentioned, NE was a terrible GL defense - and it was the end of the game with them tired.

Lynch would have walked in.

My magic do-over would have been keeping Tate and not getting Harvin but if that was my only magic do-over then I would have run Lynch to watch him walk into the EZ and win MVP.

Incorrect. New England had stuffed the Seahawks on short yardage all game and Tom Cables pathetic coaching got the team stuffed on the goal line all the time. Seriously go back and look at how few short-yardage rushing TD's the team had during the Cable era.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:57 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:
    Lynch would have walked in..

...........and Brady would have had 1:42 to march down the field and either kick a FG or score to win the game. This is the part everyone forgets, our defense got GASHED the entire 4th quarter because everyone was either hurt, or exhausted.

So even if Lynch scores, still gave Brady plenty of time to score after on a Hawk's defense that hadn't Brady was having his way with the entire 2nd half.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:02 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:

...........and Brady would have had 1:42 to march down the field and either kick a FG or score to win the game. This is the part everyone forgets, our defense got GASHED the entire 4th quarter because everyone was either hurt, or exhausted.

So even if Lynch scores, still gave Brady plenty of time to score after on a Hawk's defense that hadn't Brady was having his way with the entire 2nd half.

Where do you get 1:42?

I think there was like 30 seconds left when the play was run...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:10 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:

Where do you get 1:42?

I think there was like 30 seconds left when the play was run...

I was looking at this to make sure

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=400749027

But after clicking on the play by play, there was only :20 seconds left...............carry on.

To answer the question, I probably would have run Lynch too. But I'm still OK with the playcall, it just wasn't executed at any level correctly. From the low snap to the high pass to Kearse missing his pick block on Butler cause he got manhandled by Browner.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:41 am
  • That part is true.

But it wouldn't have hung over the team for the next 4 seasons. If we lost, we would have just chalked it up to Brady doing the Brady thing. (Though Earl or Kam would have probably picked him off - its the kind of ending our safeties would put on games...even injured).

Yet, at least it would not be this thing infesting the team for near 5 years that led to turmoil, doubt and rebellion.

The next year was a notoriously weak crop of SB contenders, that probably would have been ours. Denver vs Seattle in a rematch, that we likely win.

The goal here is not really to win the game, that would be icing but I am not sure the football gods would have allowed it.

The goal would be to remove one of the stupidest decisions from SB history, a decision that created divisions and problems for this team that we STILL are trying to overcome.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:44 am
  • I hurry to the line, unlike the Seahawks did, seeming to have a problem getting the playcall in, and run it twice. There was plenty of time.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:53 am
  • It's funny that everyone seems to think that whatever play they would have called would have been the easiest TD in the history of football. The Patriots were trying to win a Super Bowl too and they seemed pretty well prepared to me.

I would have liked to see what would have happened if we would have just handed the ball to Lynch, but I think it's far from certain he would gotten in, much less walked in untouched. That's just wishful thinking.
    Last edited by Chapow on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:02 am
  • I wish Seahawks didn't go offsides and we get a safety. Wilson throws a 67yard "clean" Hail Mary TD and we win the game.
    rcaido
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:06 am
  • A pass to a WR who isn't complete garbage.
    * NET Staff *

Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:23 am
  • Chapow wrote:It's funny that everyone seems thinks that whatever play they would have called would have been the easiest TD in the history of football. The Patriots were trying to win a Super Bowl too and they seemed pretty well prepared to me.

I would have liked to see what would have happened if we would have just handed the ball to Lynch, but I think it's far from certain he would gotten in, much less walked in untouched. That's just wishful thinking.

It's not certain that he gets in, but we had a timeout left. So if we ran Lynch like we should've and he gets stopped, we have 20 sec and 2 more downs to try again with Lynch or a rollout/bootleg run/pass option for Wilson.

This thread is also a good example how sometimes people tend to forget certain details years later after events. After the 1st down run there was 1:00 when Lynch was tackled. We then ran the clock down to 26 sec (either because it took too long to get the play in or intentionally) when the ball was snapped on 2nd down. We still had our timeout.

Fast forward to 10:40-11:05 in the video:
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:56 am
  • People seemed to forget a few convenient facts. First off, they did give it to Lynch. On first down.

Second, in that season Lynch on short yardage wasn't that great.

A pass would have been fine, but it was a terrible play call designed for our worst offensive player and horribly executed.

And after all that is should have just hit the ground but that a-hole from NE made an unbelievable play on the ball.
    Last edited by Hawkstorian on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
    * NET Staff *

Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:57 am
  • sdog1981 wrote:Incorrect. New England had stuffed the Seahawks on short yardage all game and Tom Cables pathetic coaching got the team stuffed on the goal line all the time. Seriously go back and look at how few short-yardage rushing TD's the team had during the Cable era.

At the end of the game with them being exhausted and after Lynch just gashed them for 5 yards? I dont know, but I would have taken a couple of tries with Lynch rather than what was actually called.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:00 am
  • pittpnthrs wrote:At the end of the game with them being exhausted and after Lynch just gashed them for 5 yards? I dont know, but I would have taken a couple of tries with Lynch rather than what was actually called.

With one timeout and 3 downs you have to pass on either 2nd or 3rd down.
    * NET Staff *

Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:33 am
  • Hawkstorian wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:At the end of the game with them being exhausted and after Lynch just gashed them for 5 yards? I dont know, but I would have taken a couple of tries with Lynch rather than what was actually called.

Or you could try a run 2 times.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:37 am
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    Hawkstorian wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:At the end of the game with them being exhausted and after Lynch just gashed them for 5 yards? I dont know, but I would have taken a couple of tries with Lynch rather than what was actually called.

Over his career, Lynch has had 36 carries from the opponent’s 1-yard line. More often than not, he didn’t reach the end zone. He scored on 15 of those carries, or 41.7 percent of the time. On 12 of those carries, he did not gain a yard. On nine of them, he lost yardage. I recall him fumbling from the 1 against the 9ers in the NFC championship the year before. New England had conceded just 6 rushing TDs all season. Conversely, 29 through the air.

So yeah.. you could try and run 2 times. One can also continue to beat the same narrative with more assumption than information.

You'd be likely to have to pass at some point though.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:21 am
  • With a title on the line, do you give the ball to Michael Jordan or Horace Grant? LeBron or the 12th guy on the roster? Aroldis Chapman or your inexperienced 7th inning lefty on lefty specialist?

Do you go down with the guy that brought you here to the championship? "Dance with who 'brung' ya"

Every coach in such a situation needs to strategize
    1) what play gives us the best actual chance to win and
    2) what's the worst possible outcome of such a decision.

If we gave the ball to Lynch on 2nd down and he by slim chance fumbled, there are no regrets--we went down with our very best player that got us to this point and it just didn't work out. Calling a pass to our #4 WR/Gunner certainly fails both tests.

Stats can be cited at 42% or whatever TD success Lynch had, but with everything on the line, you give it to the most powerful between the tackles runner in the league and let the chips fall where they do. You still have a TO and could call a bootleg pass/run option the next play, but IMO there is absolutely nothing that was stopping Lynch at the GL in that situation--one way or another he was going to will himself into that endzone.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:44 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    Hawkstorian wrote:

Over his career, Lynch has had 36 carries from the opponent’s 1-yard line. More often than not, he didn’t reach the end zone. He scored on 15 of those carries, or 41.7 percent of the time. On 12 of those carries, he did not gain a yard. On nine of them, he lost yardage. I recall him fumbling from the 1 against the 9ers in the NFC championship the year before. New England had conceded just 6 rushing TDs all season. Conversely, 29 through the air.

So yeah.. you could try and run 2 times. One can also continue to beat the same narrative with more assumption than information.

I always hear and read those numbers but they always discount how many runs of those types were against the NFC West or teams with formidable lines? Remember, we are talking about the Patriots who were ranked last or near last and utterly exhausted and reeling at that point. How many of those stops from the Patriots came within their sad division?

I would still rather the ball be or go in the hands of somebody like Lynch than a guy like Ricardo Lockette.
    Last edited by pittpnthrs on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:45 am
  • Play action roll-out, to the weak side. Sell then run hard, then give Russ the option to pass or take it in himself.
    "...and now they got a bicycle!"
    Sac
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:04 pm
  • For me, after the interception. The part that was most embarrassing was that when the loss was a forgone conclusion we had to watch Michael Bennett & Bruce Irvin trying to fight the Patriots. If I had a reset button that what I would remove. Losing the game in the fashion the Seahawks did was painful, but looking like clowns afterwards will stick with me forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    AKNFidel
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:33 pm
  • West TX Hawk wrote:With a title on the line, do you give the ball to Michael Jordan or Horace Grant? LeBron or the 12th guy on the roster? Aroldis Chapman or your inexperienced 7th inning lefty on lefty specialist?

Do you go down with the guy that brought you here to the championship? "Dance with who 'brung' ya"

If we gave the ball to Lynch on 2nd down and he by slim chance fumbled, there are no regrets--we went down with our very best player that got us to this point and it just didn't work out. Calling a pass to our #4 WR/Gunner certainly fails both tests.

Stats can be cited at 42% or whatever TD success Lynch had, but with everything on the line, you give it to the most powerful between the tackles runner in the league and let the chips fall where they do. You still have a TO and could call a bootleg pass/run option the next play, but IMO there is absolutely nothing that was stopping Lynch at the GL in that situation--one way or another he was going to will himself into that endzone.

This is such a poor example. First, you're comparing Lynch to Jordan and Wilson to Horace Grant? I also remember numerous occasions someone on the Bulls besides Jordan took the final shot.. why? probably the same percentages you are trying to ignore here.

Lynch had the first carry. It's well within reason there to suggest that Wilson get a chance.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:40 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    Hawkstorian wrote:

I always hear and read those numbers but they always discount how many runs of those types were against the NFC West or teams with formidable lines? Remember, we are talking about the Patriots who were ranked last or near last and utterly exhausted and reeling at that point. How many of those stops from the Patriots came within their sad division?

I would still rather the ball be or go in the hands of somebody like Lynch than a guy like Ricardo Lockette.

The Patriots were #9 in total defense and top 5 against the run.

And I don't disagree per se... I just dont think it's as easy as the "if we ran we win" narrative. There were certainly many factors to look into.

The play call itself was bad, but not the decision to pass or run
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:00 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:With a title on the line, do you give the ball to Michael Jordan or Horace Grant? LeBron or the 12th guy on the roster? Aroldis Chapman or your inexperienced 7th inning lefty on lefty specialist?

This is such a poor example. First, you're comparing Lynch to Jordan and Wilson to Horace Grant? I also remember numerous occasions someone on the Bulls besides Jordan took the final shot.. why? probably the same percentages you are trying to ignore here.

Lynch had the first carry. It's well within reason there to suggest that Wilson get a chance.

No, that's not what I'm saying at all--I was comparing Horace to Lockette. Wilson was not part of any of my analogies. Lynch was though and with his impressive 1st down run that got to the 1, you give him another chance and Wilson run/pass option if that failed. Read my post fully before making assumptions.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:02 pm
  • West TX Hawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:With a title on the line, do you give the ball to Michael Jordan or Horace Grant? LeBron or the 12th guy on the roster? Aroldis Chapman or your inexperienced 7th inning lefty on lefty specialist?

No, that's not what I'm saying at all--I was comparing Horace to Lockette. Wilson was not part of any of my analogies. Lynch was though and with his impressive 1st down run that got to the 1, you give him another chance and Wilson run/pass option if that failed. Read my post fully before making assumptions.

My error...

I thought you were replying to me.

I agree with your analogies in that context
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Next

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:53 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information