Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?

seabowl

Reaction score
Cable undoubtedly putting his mark on his Oline philosophy with his new team. Was like looking into the past by watching their Oline today. Cabevell was the worst thing to happen to the Hawks since OverBehring. So glad he and Bevell are gone.

sdog1981

Reaction score
At this point, it is very clear how bad Cable is. We don't know that Bevell would look like if he had a different Oline coach. This is also Bevell's fault because he did not demand ”me or him” from Pete and lost his job as a result.

Maulbert

Reaction score
I won't say Bevell didn't have his issues, but I have been steadfast in my belief that Cable was responsible for at least 75% of the offensive issues on this team. I would have been fine with keeping Bevell in a 'prove it' year if we fired Cable.

I'm just glad Cable is gone. Worst offensive line coach in the league, and he thinks he's a genius.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
That was a pretty good demonstration of what happens when you don't put Russell Wilson or Fran Tarkenton behind the line this team has consistently had. The greatest QBs of all time would fail miserably behind this Raiders or typical Seahawks lines.

adeltaY

Reaction score
To be fair, and as much as TC pissed me off, they were onto their third string LG, were starting with a backup RT, and their rookie LT is playing hurt.

This does NOT excuse Cable for putting out dogshit, fully healthy OL here for years.

Atradees

Reaction score
Gruden took two teams to the Superbowl. He will have to figure out his week link before he does it again. there is alwaays the aguement that it takes time to develop a line. Will it take 5 years to fire Cable?

hawk45

Reaction score
So luxurious playing a team with a no-op offense because the line was so bad. Just zero to threaten you.

No RW and no historic D to balance out cable. Raiders will be a cupcake for the near future.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
adeltaY":3p9ubx1f said:
To be fair, and as much as TC pissed me off, they were onto their third string LG, were starting with a backup RT, and their rookie LT is playing hurt.

This does NOT excuse Cable for putting out dogshit, fully healthy OL here for years.

I would agree with this if Solari didn’t take most of Cable’s pieces and turn them into solid starters. I’m fact, I remember when the Skins came to our stadium last year with a decimated O-line, and held up against our average pass rush. That’s coaching. Cable’s terrible, and Oakland doesn’t have a QB like Russ to make chicken soup out of crap

Seafan

Reaction score
2nd and third stringers already playing and then more injury during the game. They can't rush the passer or protect their own QB. A familiar spot for the Seahawks last year. What a difference a year makes.

I hope Green and Jordan get healthy soon. That will only help.

hawk45

Reaction score
Scorpion05":132t13lq said:
adeltaY":132t13lq said:

I would agree with this if Solari didn’t take most of Cable’s pieces and turn them into solid starters. I’m fact, I remember when the Skins came to our stadium last year with a decimated O-line, and held up against our average pass rush. That’s coaching. Cable’s terrible, and Oakland doesn’t have a QB like Russ to make chicken soup out of crap
^^^this
Ifedi isn't even a lost cause anymore and he was cover your eyes bad under cable. Duane Brown regressed under cable. The data is sufficient. Cable will make your OL suck.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Our line is healthy for the first time in forever while the Raiders line is ridiculously injured. Throwing stones while ignoring those injury disparities is both mean spirited and short sighted. Let's just hope that our health continues to hold and that we can continue to build continuity with what looks to be a pretty good starting 5 in Brown-Sweezy-Britt-Fluker-Ifedi.

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
Correlation doesn't equal causation and all that, but it definitely doesn't look good on Cable that all of a sudden - and with a similar group other than 2 cheap (a bargain in hindsight) free-agent additions - the line actually looks really good.

While the run-blocking looked pretty good in the SuperBowl seasons (it wasn't *all* Lynch), getting the run-game back with a substantially cheaper group along with what may be the best pass-protection we've seen in the Wilson era looks good on Solari. And mentally it looks like Wilson is trusting his line for the first time (in the past, when the line occasionally had a nice block, Wilson usually blew it by scrambling unnecessarily - can't say I blamed him). Hopefully this isn't a mirage since we'll need the offense to lead the Seahawks to the playoffs.

evergreen

Reaction score
Of course injuries make a difference. We always had them with Cable too. The eye test is too hard to beat. Last year we see that bad. Not anymore.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
The answer to the oline problem was a simple pair of cable cutters.

adeltaY

Reaction score
hawk45":2d0fy52h said:
Scorpion05":2d0fy52h said:
adeltaY":2d0fy52h said:

^^^this
Ifedi isn't even a lost cause anymore and he was cover your eyes bad under cable. Duane Brown regressed under cable. The data is sufficient. Cable will make your OL suck.

DB was also playing on a bum ankle sustained in the Cards game last year. Yes, Cable sucked, but he wasn't the cause of every single one of our offensive problems. Still very glad he's gone - Solari is much, much better.

To your point, we got six sacks for -54 yards against that decimated Redskins OL so no, they did not hold up well at all. That game was only close because our own offense was atrocious. The Skins won because they burned our blitz with two chuck and pray throws from Cousins as he was getting hit. Conversely, we were smoking the Raiders D today so they had no way of staying in the game with their OL injuries.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I actually thought this several times. That former Seahawks OT went over how Cable seemed to be hurting the technique of players late last season. Was it Ray Roberts?

I saw all the stuff he pointed out. Especially the "keep backing up and push de's to over-rush" technique that doesn't work against power rushers that engage head-on.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
If Lynch wasn't the running back today, I doubt the Raiders eclipse 30 rushing yards.

It was awesome watching our team control the LOS on both sides of the ball.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
AgentDib":3hff0d5e said:
Our line is healthy for the first time in forever while the Raiders line is ridiculously injured. Throwing stones while ignoring those injury disparities is both mean spirited and short sighted. Let's just hope that our health continues to hold and that we can continue to build continuity with what looks to be a pretty good starting 5 in Brown-Sweezy-Britt-Fluker-Ifedi.

I would agree, if 5 out of 6 days worked in a week weren't practice/conditioning. Honestly, with the exception of catastrophic injury MOST sports injuries happen in training. I fault the O-Line coach, and his injury bug followed him.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Raiders used to have one of the top o-lines in the league and Cable has made them worse somehow.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
AgentDib":3g3o97lr said:

With all due respect I call BS

We had an O-line with a converted tight end/former basketball player and even as recent as last year, people were questioning whether Duane Brown should be extended. J.R. Sweezy was considered crap. What did Cable do? Did he adjust? Did we see progression?? Nope

We don't absolve players from being mediocre, even when that player is dealing with injuries. Excusing Cable's ineffectiveness is laughable

Latest posts