Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:07 pm
  • Cable undoubtedly putting his mark on his Oline philosophy with his new team. Was like looking into the past by watching their Oline today. Cabevell was the worst thing to happen to the Hawks since OverBehring. So glad he and Bevell are gone.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2474
    Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:20 am


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:09 pm
  • At this point, it is very clear how bad Cable is. We don't know that Bevell would look like if he had a different Oline coach. This is also Bevell's fault because he did not demand ”me or him” from Pete and lost his job as a result.
    User avatar
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2116
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 am


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:19 pm
  • I won't say Bevell didn't have his issues, but I have been steadfast in my belief that Cable was responsible for at least 75% of the offensive issues on this team. I would have been fine with keeping Bevell in a 'prove it' year if we fired Cable.

    I'm just glad Cable is gone. Worst offensive line coach in the league, and he thinks he's a genius.
    RIP Paul Allen, 1953-2018

    The greatest owner in Seattle sports history.

    189-152-1
    User avatar
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4348
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:39 pm
  • That was a pretty good demonstration of what happens when you don't put Russell Wilson or Fran Tarkenton behind the line this team has consistently had. The greatest QBs of all time would fail miserably behind this Raiders or typical Seahawks lines.
    User avatar
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1971
    Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:56 pm


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:42 pm
  • To be fair, and as much as TC pissed me off, they were onto their third string LG, were starting with a backup RT, and their rookie LT is playing hurt.

    This does NOT excuse Cable for putting out dogshit, fully healthy OL here for years.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:44 pm
  • Gruden took two teams to the Superbowl. He will have to figure out his week link before he does it again. there is alwaays the aguement that it takes time to develop a line. Will it take 5 years to fire Cable?
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    User avatar
    Atradees
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3441
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:22 pm
    Location: South of Heaven


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:50 pm
  • So luxurious playing a team with a no-op offense because the line was so bad. Just zero to threaten you.

    No RW and no historic D to balance out cable. Raiders will be a cupcake for the near future.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8491
    Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:08 pm


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:57 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:To be fair, and as much as TC pissed me off, they were onto their third string LG, were starting with a backup RT, and their rookie LT is playing hurt.

    This does NOT excuse Cable for putting out dogshit, fully healthy OL here for years.


    I would agree with this if Solari didn’t take most of Cable’s pieces and turn them into solid starters. I’m fact, I remember when the Skins came to our stadium last year with a decimated O-line, and held up against our average pass rush. That’s coaching. Cable’s terrible, and Oakland doesn’t have a QB like Russ to make chicken soup out of crap
    User avatar
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 825
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:05 am


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:57 pm
  • 2nd and third stringers already playing and then more injury during the game. They can't rush the passer or protect their own QB. A familiar spot for the Seahawks last year. What a difference a year makes.


    I hope Green and Jordan get healthy soon. That will only help.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    User avatar
    Seafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5855
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:30 pm
    Location: Helotes, TX


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:00 pm
  • Scorpion05 wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:To be fair, and as much as TC pissed me off, they were onto their third string LG, were starting with a backup RT, and their rookie LT is playing hurt.

    This does NOT excuse Cable for putting out dogshit, fully healthy OL here for years.


    I would agree with this if Solari didn’t take most of Cable’s pieces and turn them into solid starters. I’m fact, I remember when the Skins came to our stadium last year with a decimated O-line, and held up against our average pass rush. That’s coaching. Cable’s terrible, and Oakland doesn’t have a QB like Russ to make chicken soup out of crap

    ^^^this
    Ifedi isn't even a lost cause anymore and he was cover your eyes bad under cable. Duane Brown regressed under cable. The data is sufficient. Cable will make your OL suck.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8491
    Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:08 pm


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:09 pm
  • Our line is healthy for the first time in forever while the Raiders line is ridiculously injured. Throwing stones while ignoring those injury disparities is both mean spirited and short sighted. Let's just hope that our health continues to hold and that we can continue to build continuity with what looks to be a pretty good starting 5 in Brown-Sweezy-Britt-Fluker-Ifedi.
    User avatar
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3535
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:11 pm
  • Correlation doesn't equal causation and all that, but it definitely doesn't look good on Cable that all of a sudden - and with a similar group other than 2 cheap (a bargain in hindsight) free-agent additions - the line actually looks really good.

    While the run-blocking looked pretty good in the SuperBowl seasons (it wasn't *all* Lynch), getting the run-game back with a substantially cheaper group along with what may be the best pass-protection we've seen in the Wilson era looks good on Solari. And mentally it looks like Wilson is trusting his line for the first time (in the past, when the line occasionally had a nice block, Wilson usually blew it by scrambling unnecessarily - can't say I blamed him). Hopefully this isn't a mirage since we'll need the offense to lead the Seahawks to the playoffs.
    SeahawksCanuck
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 102
    Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:39 pm


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:17 pm
  • Of course injuries make a difference. We always had them with Cable too. The eye test is too hard to beat. Last year we see that bad. Not anymore.
    User avatar
    evergreen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 553
    Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:56 pm


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:20 pm
  • The answer to the oline problem was a simple pair of cable cutters.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2474
    Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:20 am


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:29 pm
  • hawk45 wrote:
    Scorpion05 wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:To be fair, and as much as TC pissed me off, they were onto their third string LG, were starting with a backup RT, and their rookie LT is playing hurt.

    This does NOT excuse Cable for putting out dogshit, fully healthy OL here for years.


    I would agree with this if Solari didn’t take most of Cable’s pieces and turn them into solid starters. I’m fact, I remember when the Skins came to our stadium last year with a decimated O-line, and held up against our average pass rush. That’s coaching. Cable’s terrible, and Oakland doesn’t have a QB like Russ to make chicken soup out of crap

    ^^^this
    Ifedi isn't even a lost cause anymore and he was cover your eyes bad under cable. Duane Brown regressed under cable. The data is sufficient. Cable will make your OL suck.


    DB was also playing on a bum ankle sustained in the Cards game last year. Yes, Cable sucked, but he wasn't the cause of every single one of our offensive problems. Still very glad he's gone - Solari is much, much better.

    To your point, we got six sacks for -54 yards against that decimated Redskins OL so no, they did not hold up well at all. That game was only close because our own offense was atrocious. The Skins won because they burned our blitz with two chuck and pray throws from Cousins as he was getting hit. Conversely, we were smoking the Raiders D today so they had no way of staying in the game with their OL injuries.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:51 pm
  • I actually thought this several times. That former Seahawks OT went over how Cable seemed to be hurting the technique of players late last season. Was it Ray Roberts?

    I saw all the stuff he pointed out. Especially the "keep backing up and push de's to over-rush" technique that doesn't work against power rushers that engage head-on.
    User avatar
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5768
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:20 pm
    Location: UT


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:03 pm
  • If Lynch wasn't the running back today, I doubt the Raiders eclipse 30 rushing yards.

    It was awesome watching our team control the LOS on both sides of the ball.
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    User avatar
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2544
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:22 pm
  • AgentDib wrote:Our line is healthy for the first time in forever while the Raiders line is ridiculously injured. Throwing stones while ignoring those injury disparities is both mean spirited and short sighted. Let's just hope that our health continues to hold and that we can continue to build continuity with what looks to be a pretty good starting 5 in Brown-Sweezy-Britt-Fluker-Ifedi.


    I would agree, if 5 out of 6 days worked in a week weren't practice/conditioning. Honestly, with the exception of catastrophic injury MOST sports injuries happen in training. I fault the O-Line coach, and his injury bug followed him.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

    Image
    User avatar
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2158
    Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:26 am


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:41 pm
  • Raiders used to have one of the top o-lines in the league and Cable has made them worse somehow.
    User avatar
    12thbrah
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 742
    Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:42 am


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:43 pm
  • AgentDib wrote:Our line is healthy for the first time in forever while the Raiders line is ridiculously injured. Throwing stones while ignoring those injury disparities is both mean spirited and short sighted. Let's just hope that our health continues to hold and that we can continue to build continuity with what looks to be a pretty good starting 5 in Brown-Sweezy-Britt-Fluker-Ifedi.


    With all due respect I call BS

    We had an O-line with a converted tight end/former basketball player and even as recent as last year, people were questioning whether Duane Brown should be extended. J.R. Sweezy was considered crap. What did Cable do? Did he adjust? Did we see progression?? Nope

    We don't absolve players from being mediocre, even when that player is dealing with injuries. Excusing Cable's ineffectiveness is laughable
    User avatar
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 825
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:05 am


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:55 pm
  • He’s gone, and continuing to pile on seems somewhat douchey. However, watch, their OLine will get worse and worse each year he’s there until Gruden wises up and cans him.

    I don’t want to read anymore Cable threads so I will not click them anymore. I hate reliving that negativity.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5407
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:37 pm
  • jammerhawk wrote:He’s gone, and continuing to pile on seems somewhat douchey. However, watch, their OLine will get worse and worse each year he’s there until Gruden wises up and cans him.


    Weird (IMO) that it was Gruden that brought Cable to Oakland and hired him.
    User avatar
    Vesuve
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 260
    Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:02 pm


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:23 pm
  • 12thbrah wrote:Raiders used to have one of the top o-lines in the league and Cable has made them worse somehow.


    Their line was top tier when it was Penn-Osemele-Hudson-Jackson-Howard. The line we played yesterday was Miller-Feliciano/Murray-Hudson-Jackson-Parker. There's a reason why they are worse, and it is not just Cable.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:45 pm
  • Solari has two new guys this year and made it all work, Cable had at least 14 draft picks and several Free Agents and could not.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25063
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:47 am
  • chris98251 wrote:Solari has two new guys this year and made it all work, Cable had at least 14 draft picks and several Free Agents and could not.

    ^This hits the nail on the head. Aside from TC coaching ineptness, his talent evaluation was worse. At some point talent matters. Combine no talent and poor coaching and you get what we had in 2016/2017
    User avatar
    HawkerD
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 546
    Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:33 am
    Location: Covington WA


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:00 am
  • Blair Walsh also missed three chipshot FGs against the Redskins last year. God 2017 was so awful.
    User avatar
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1872
    Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:12 am


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:09 am
  • Injuries seem to follow the scheme. Setting bad leverages and all. DB got that bum ankle in what the 1series of being a hawk.

    Exaggeration aside, injures follow TC.

    In how many years past his prime, how many games has unger missed protecting a pocket passer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    User avatar
    NOLAHawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 216
    Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:55 pm


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:58 am
  • AgentDib wrote:Our line is healthy for the first time in forever while the Raiders line is ridiculously injured. Throwing stones while ignoring those injury disparities is both mean spirited and short sighted. Let's just hope that our health continues to hold and that we can continue to build continuity with what looks to be a pretty good starting 5 in Brown-Sweezy-Britt-Fluker-Ifedi.


    An alternative viewpoint would be that Cables coaching system puts his OL at risk of injury because of all the lateral movement . Higher chance of knee and ankle injuries in a ZBS vs Power scheme.
    Mad Dog
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 480
    Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:12 am


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:19 am
  • Yes! Actual Raider's O-Line group photo post-game in London:

    Image
    User avatar
    Slick
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1078
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:52 am
    Location: Woodinville, WA


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:48 am
  • Scorpion05 wrote:We had an O-line with a converted tight end/former basketball player and even as recent as last year, people were questioning whether Duane Brown should be extended. J.R. Sweezy was considered crap. What did Cable do? Did he adjust? Did we see progression?? Nope

    We don't absolve players from being mediocre, even when that player is dealing with injuries. Excusing Cable's ineffectiveness is laughable

    I'm happy we have Solari if for no other reason than his role in acquiring Fluker. This thread is just a bunch of lazy venting and you don't address my point - injury outcomes - at all.

    Duane Brown is a great example; he absolutely had a down year last season. The narrative that it was because of a line coach, as a pro bowler in his 10th season, was silly then and it's still silly now. He held out the entire off-season and first half of the regular season, then played week 8 with an entirely new team and hurt his ankle. Maybe the coaching was worse or maybe it was better, but viewing the coaching change as the important factor in his 2017 season is ignorant at best.

    As far as Sweezy goes, I agree he has played well at LG for us. It's just a little short-sighted to give Solari all of the credit for that due to coaching him for part of a season and 3 NFL games, while at the same time flaming the guy who converted him from DL to OL in the first place and taught him how to play over 4 NFL seasons. Most of the other guys playing well for us - Brown, Ifedi, Britt - were also brought in by Cable in the first place. It seems more than tacky to throw stones at him from afar when he didn't pick the players on his current line and they are in shambles due to injuries.

    Mad Dog wrote:An alternative viewpoint would be that Cables coaching system puts his OL at risk of injury because of all the lateral movement . Higher chance of knee and ankle injuries in a ZBS vs Power scheme.

    Is it possible? Sure. It's also possible that injuries just happen sometimes and blaming bad luck on the coaching staff when they aren't even our coaching staff anymore is ugly.
    User avatar
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3535
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:57 am
  • sdog1981 wrote:At this point, it is very clear how bad Cable is. We don't know that Bevell would look like if he had a different Oline coach. This is also Bevell's fault because he did not demand ”me or him” from Pete and lost his job as a result.


    It has been obvious to me for years. I was getting tired of even talking about it because it was so ridiculously obvious looking at what Wilson was being put through by playing for his life every game. This is also why I lost trust in Pete.

    Image
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5594
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Did the Raiders Oline look familiar?
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:10 am
  • sdog1981 wrote:At this point, it is very clear how bad Cable is. We don't know that Bevell would look like if he had a different Oline coach. This is also Bevell's fault because he did not demand ”me or him” from Pete and lost his job as a result.

    Yes, we do...O-line's ability to block is one thing; formation, schemes, and our receivers bunching together 15 yards down the field are all Bevell-isms.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30019
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ




It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:52 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online