Time to pay Frank

Hawkfish

Reaction score
Love to see Frank get extended on the bye week...

Guy has been a beast!

[youtube]LhI88tg1Gqg[/youtube]

Slick

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheRealFrankC_/status/1046556789301436417[/tweet]

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I agree but maybe after a down game. His stock is pretty high right now.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Is Frank the kind of guy who get's paid an production decreases? I hope not but it's possible. Everyone reacts differently to their first big money contract.

King Dog

Reaction score
lukerguy":3ghru1v3 said:
Is Frank the kind of guy who get's paid an production decreases? I hope not but it's possible. Everyone reacts differently to their first big money contract.
Who knows, but I don't see it. Didn't he play with two broken wrists or something like that last season? Doesn't seem to be the type.

lukerguy

Reaction score
King Dog":19p1d9mg said:
lukerguy":19p1d9mg said:
Who knows, but I don't see it. Didn't he play with two broken wrists or something like that last season? Doesn't seem to be the type.

So what's Seattle's hesitation? I know Brock and Salk were talking about it a few months ago and they said they wouldn't pay Frank. I was a little surprised by this. They said the majority of fans disagreed with them (text poll).

They said maybe they were a little to close to the situation. I don't know exactly what they mean by that but maybe he's not a good locker room fit? I'm just guessing what they mean by that.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
He's earned a new deal. Either the Hawks give him a deal now, or they are going to have to pay more in the offseason. Or else someone other team is going to break the bank. JS and Pete seem to have an aversion to franchise tags, so I don't think they would go that route.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
lukerguy":wf6qmoqa said:

I think it was Avril or Bennett who described Clark as playing like a wild dog that hasn't eaten in a week.

So I wouldn't be worried about Clark's motivation, I would only worry about his production/injuries, which isn't anything new........it's a concern with any player you're committing serious dollars to.

.........and all reports so far this year about Clark say that the FO has been working towards a deal, he was next on the list after Lockett.

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
I think the biggest concern is that he is playing light out in a contract year. What will he be after he gets paid? Everyone has seen players play fantastic in the contract year, get paid, then basically disappear after.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Pay him. You don't let pass rushers like him get away. He is very needed on that defensive line. Lock him up and build around him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawksfan78":pez6oqio said:
I think the biggest concern is that he is playing light out in a contract year. What will he be after he gets paid? Everyone has seen players play fantastic in the contract year, get paid, then basically disappear after.

I honestly don't think we have a choice.

Clark is our only legitimate DE on an already thin D-line, so unless he's looking for crazy Aaron Donald/Khalil Mack money, you pay the man and hope he remains hungry and motivated.

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
You’re completely correct, but I think that’s why they haven’t signed him before the beginning of the season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawksfan78":oiagxo2x said:
You’re completely correct, but I think that’s why they haven’t signed him before the beginning of the season.

I think Pete and John wanted to see how Clark healed up and responded after his hand surgery before getting serious about an extension.

I think we're there now, Clark has earned a big extension IMO. He's balled out, behaved himself and become a very inspirational component on that defense. The way he plays is contagious, and his teammates have said as much.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawksfan78":3onk3dha said:

That assumes he was playing poorly last year. But he wasn't - he had a great 2017. Was flashing even in 2016.

I'm more concerned with the level of competition he's facing. He beats up on an awful lot of gimpy and backup tackles. You wouldn't want him to do anything less, of course, but maybe I'm still scarred by 2007 Patrick Kerney. Evaporated against quality tackles like Jordan Gross and Chad Clifton, ate against everyone else.

adeltaY

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1586x0j3 said:
Hawksfan78":1586x0j3 said:

That assumes he was playing poorly last year. But he wasn't - he had a great 2017. Was flashing even in 2016.

I'm more concerned with the level of competition he's facing. He beats up on an awful lot of gimpy and backup tackles. You wouldn't want him to do anything less, of course, but maybe I'm still scarred by 2007 Patrick Kerney. Evaporated against quality tackles like Jordan Gross and Chad Clifton, ate against everyone else.

That's a great point. Off the top of my head, Frank has had consistent success against Whitworth, who is pretty damn good. Not sure which other great OTs he's faced and had success against, though.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
adeltaY":2wpcwzq0 said:
MontanaHawk05":2wpcwzq0 said:
Hawksfan78":2wpcwzq0 said:

That's a great point. Off the top of my head, Frank has had consistent success against Whitworth, who is pretty damn good. Not sure which other great OTs he's faced and had success against, though.

There is Whitworth, yeah, and I think a couple of others - and the inspirational and leadership qualities are worth quite a bit too. So I'm not yet saying Seattle should withhold a second contract.

kidhawk

Reaction score
One thing that may be an issue here is perhaps Clark thinks his value will only increase and he himself is holding up the extension going through in hopes to see the free agent market this off season.

Too hard to know for sure, but Clark definitely has earned a very lucrative deal, that's for sure.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":3e3g07yw said:
One thing that may be an issue here is perhaps Clark thinks his value will only increase and he himself is holding up the extension going through in hopes to see the free agent market this off season.

Too hard to know for sure, but Clark definitely has earned a very lucrative deal, that's for sure.

I hope he's not doing this.....because he's too valuable to us right now, and will be again next year.

We have the cap space to franchise him (19M next year), so I hope he's not being unreasonable in his extension demands..............cause I think we'd franchise him, then it's another Earl situation where he'll be all pissed off and possibly hold out and not sign his tender like Bell is doing this year.

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
He actually had a better 2016 season statistically then last year. Having a great season this year (knock on wood), I just hope we lock him up before FA starts. Then draft another or 3 pass rushers next year.

HawkGA

Reaction score
You pay a DL after playing a Cable OLine and you're over paying that DL.