Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Paul Allen has died

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Paul Allen has died
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:17 am
  • This sucks.
    "Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories." - Sun Tzu
    BigMeach
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:52 am
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:Not long woken up and was just checking out NFL.com and it said "Paul Allen had a major impact as Seahawks owner" and I'm like that's a nice story and then it was WAIT? WHAT?

No words yet. Absolutely thrown by this.

Yes, me too. It was about 8:30AM Tuesday here when I heard the news on the radio. I've been in glum disbelief all day. There was a very short mention of his passing on the evening TV news (Seahawks not mentioned).

Like someone has already said here - I have never felt so saddened by the passing of someone I didn't know.

Vale, Mr Seahawk (and so very much more).
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:29 am
  • The right owner can set a sports franchise up for success. The wrong one, can try to move it down to Los Angeles or Oklahoma City. Paul was a fantastic franchise owner. Sad day for fans and his family.
    BullHawk33
    NET Starter

Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:31 am
  • I do not know much about him, but I have heard he was very impactful not only to the community but also a savior for the team I hold near and dear to my heart and love to root for. It's always a sad day when someone so unique, gifted, and generous like Paul Allen passes, especially when it was felt that he had more time. Mr. Allen, you will be missed by so many people, and the world needs more people like you, not less. Thank you for everything you have done.
    2018 Adopt-a-rookie: Tre Flowers, CB
    jmahon316
    NET Rookie

Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:33 am
  • I’m stunned by the news of his passing and equally shocked to learn that he has no close family. Having cancer myself I can’t imagine facing it alone with no family. I also can’t imagine having all of that success without anyone to share with. Sad.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:07 am
  • rip GODSPEED Mr. Allen man this sucks I was a work and it truly feels like one of my family members just
    passed we owe him so much man this sucks
    God Bless America and God Bless the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - TEZ
    I was not looking for a rival today but here we are
    hawkcrazzed
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:34 am
  • He was a hands off owner for the most part ; but he was a huge fan...that's what made him Gr8. GO HAWKS!!
    xray
    NET Starter

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:50 am
  • Damn damn damn. RIP Mr. Allen. Thank you!
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:32 am
  • Not sure if most Hawk fans understand what a great owner Allen was, to have the philosophy of hiring great people from the bottom up and give them every resource possible..........and then stand back and let them do their thing is a very rare thing with pro sports.

As someone who had to be a fan during the Behring years, Allen was a god send, and will be sorely missed. First class all the way.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:07 am
  • Here's a Forbes Article from October 1995 of Gates and Allen talking with Forbes on the 20th Anniversary of starting Microsoft:

GETTING TO KNOW YOU GATES: Our friendship started after the mothers' club paid to put a computer terminal in the school in 1968. The notion was that, of course, the teachers would figure out this computer thing and then teach it to the students. But that didn't happen. It was the other way around. There was a group of students who kind of went nuts ALLEN: The teletype room was full of rolled-up paper-tape programs and manuals and everything else. Between classes, or whenever any of us hard-core computer types had a spare period, we would congregate there.

GATES: It was easy to spend a lot of money on computer time. One of the smarter teachers accidentally created an infinite loop and spent something like $60 in one shot. He was so shocked that he didn't want to go near the thing after that. We ran through the mothers' club money pretty fast.

ALLEN: When that happened, the computer service would bill the school, and then the school would charge us or our parents. It wasn't always easy to tell your parents how much you had racked up, so we paid it ourselves when we could. GATES: At the end of the year, Paul massively overdrew his checking account. On graduation day he was with his mother, and the school officials came up and said before he could get his diploma they would have to pay $200 for all this excess computer time.

We were always scrounging for free computer time. One year a student's mother arranged for us to go downtown to a new, commercial computer center. We didn't have to pay for the time as long as we could find bugs in their system and report them. They brought us in like monkeys, but it was a godsend.

http://archive.fortune.com/magazines/fo ... /index.htm
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:08 am
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:43 am
  • "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:11 am
  • Godspeed, Mr. Allen.

Dangit, my eyes leaked.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *

Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:36 am
  • I thought some of the response from players was cool. Sorry if any of these are repeats:

DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:40 am
  • I am sure this has already been mentioned, but I am very happy that the Seahawks sent him out on a winning note.
    Madrid Hawk
    NET Rookie

Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:56 am
  • He had an amazing life albeit short by today's standards. His vision touches us every second of every day. Great owner, especially when compared to the ego maniacs all around the league. They should build a statue of him outside the clink memorializing the guy who saved pro football in Seattle. RIP.
    HawkerD
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:03 pm
  • RIP Mr Allen. You'll be missed greatly.
    OahuHawkFan
    NET Rookie

Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:34 pm
  • Sad time for his family & the 12's.

RIP Paul.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:23 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    timmat wrote:I was lucky enough to briefly meet Mr. Allen on a few occasions, and tell him thank you. I'm glad I had that opportunity. I think of all the great moments I've shared with family and friends because of his actions with the Seahawks, and other endeavors.

I'd love to see a life-sized bronze statue of him holding up the Lombardi inside the stadium - maybe the North entrance walkway area in front of the steps. I'm sure the organization will come up with a fitting tribute of some kind.

He made our world a better place.

Ring of Honor, and Hall of Fame. I'd like us to follow in the Bears and Lions footsteps and make PGA a permanent sleeve patch. He saved football in the Northwest. He deserves no less.

I like that idea, but the current sleeves are set up kind of goofy for it. What if the initials were on the "wing" on the right side where Seahawks is on the left?
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:53 pm
  • Seanhawk wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    timmat wrote:I was lucky enough to briefly meet Mr. Allen on a few occasions, and tell him thank you. I'm glad I had that opportunity. I think of all the great moments I've shared with family and friends because of his actions with the Seahawks, and other endeavors.

I'd love to see a life-sized bronze statue of him holding up the Lombardi inside the stadium - maybe the North entrance walkway area in front of the steps. I'm sure the organization will come up with a fitting tribute of some kind.

He made our world a better place.

Ring of Honor, and Hall of Fame. I'd like us to follow in the Bears and Lions footsteps and make PGA a permanent sleeve patch. He saved football in the Northwest. He deserves no less.

I like that idea, but the current sleeves are set up kind of goofy for it. What if the initials were on the "wing" on the right side where Seahawks is on the left?

I can get behind that.
    RIP Paul Allen, 1953-2018

The greatest owner in Seattle sports history.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:29 pm
  • The city and world will miss him.
    ZornwasaleftY
    NET Rookie

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:58 pm

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:27 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:https://www.seahawks.com/video/moment-in-time-seattle-seahawks-allen-era-20-year-anniversary-193431

If you have 20 minutes to spare please watch this great piece down a year ago on Paul Allen saving the team.

Thank you for posting, I hope everyone who posts on this site watch it. We lost a very special person when Paul passed. Even if your not a sports fan. If you dont know, dig a little deeper, Paul Allen was a true American hero, and he did his best to make sure the PNW benefited from his greatness.

Name another person who has done as much for Seattle since WW2. We have streets named after founders of the city, the entire south lake union area should have some reference to Paul Allen. That area was a crime ridden dump before Paul and his development company Vulcan started turning it in to the west coast hub for tech. I still recall people bitching about driving out homeless people and tiny businesses. He gave the COS an option after he purchased most of the property to take it over only if the made it a park, similar to Central Park in NY. The city told him no, and would only take the property if he paid for the upkeep. He turned it in to what it is now, with Amazon and Google.

RIP Paul Allen. Thank You for being you.
    irocdave
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:34 pm
  • irocdave wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:https://www.seahawks.com/video/moment-in-time-seattle-seahawks-allen-era-20-year-anniversary-193431

If you have 20 minutes to spare please watch this great piece down a year ago on Paul Allen saving the team.

Thank you for posting, I hope everyone who posts on this site watch it. We lost a very special person when Paul passed. Even if your not a sports fan. If you dont know, dig a little deeper, Paul Allen was a true American hero, and he did his best to make sure the PNW benefited from his greatness.

Name another person who has done as much for Seattle since WW2. We have streets named after founders of the city, the entire south lake union area should have some reference to Paul Allen. That area was a crime ridden dump before Paul and his development company Vulcan started turning it in to the west coast hub for tech. I still recall people bitching about driving out homeless people and tiny businesses. He gave the COS an option after he purchased most of the property to take it over only if the made it a park, similar to Central Park in NY. The city told him no, and would only take the property if he paid for the upkeep. He turned it in to what it is now, with Amazon and Google.

RIP Paul Allen. Thank You for being you.

Yes once again the Council shows their wisdom. I think this is the only city that will throw away Billions to get themselves elected.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:19 pm
  • Our King Hawk has fallen, R.I.P. Paul Allen. Overwhelming sadness for a truly great soul.

CHEERS
    SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS XLVIII 43-8

Better to have a bottle in front of me,then a frontly lobotmy.
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:22 pm
  • What a legend.

His contributions to the world via his philanthropy were outstanding. Being a DOS/PC homer, I have to say thanks for making that happen with Gates.

And as much as the rivalry has gotten heated the last few years, I'm happy that the Seahawks were able to get a rightful owner that was able to get the team to 3 super bowls and finally win one. Every team deserves its day in the sun.

RIP.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:45 pm
  • NINEster wrote:What a legend.

His contributions to the world via his philanthropy were outstanding. Being a DOS/PC homer, I have to say thanks for making that happen with Gates.

And as much as the rivalry has gotten heated the last few years, I'm happy that the Seahawks were able to get a rightful owner that was able to get the team to 3 super bowls and finally win one. Every team deserves its day in the sun.

RIP.

You are a class act.

This one hit me hard. I don't know what to say that has not already been said...
    Thank you Mr. Allen. I love you.
    May you rest in peace.
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:40 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    UK_Seahawk wrote:Not long woken up and was just checking out NFL.com and it said "Paul Allen had a major impact as Seahawks owner" and I'm like that's a nice story and then it was WAIT? WHAT?

No words yet. Absolutely thrown by this.

Yes, me too. It was about 8:30AM Tuesday here when I heard the news on the radio. I've been in glum disbelief all day. There was a very short mention of his passing on the evening TV news (Seahawks not mentioned).

Like someone has already said here - I have never felt so saddened by the passing of someone I didn't know.

Vale, Mr Seahawk (and so very much more).

It’s very odd when someone we have never met passes and we feel it.

Paul Allen meant a lot to so many people he never met. A true man that affected his world more than he could ever know.

Sorry for your loss my Hawk fan friends.

A tremendous example of humanity.
    When you get to Helllll, John. Tel em Daisy sentcha.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:46 am
  • Blitzer88 wrote:https://www.seahawks.com/video/moment-in-time-seattle-seahawks-allen-era-20-year-anniversary-193431

Thank you! I watched it on the Seahawks' official website yesterday, and it is indeed a must-watch for all of us.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:05 am
  • To NINEster and RedAlice, thank you for your messages. Sometimes the things which unite us exceed those which divide us (absolutely including our mutually fierce rivalry).
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:58 am

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:27 pm
  • What a loss. RIP Mr. Allen.
    "I want it! I hate losing!"
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:20 pm

I watched this earlier this week and it is a great piece. He was a great man that has touched a lot of people in many different ways.

I don't have the talent for it, but if someone could put together a graphic that says "Referendum 48" with our superbowl patch/logo as the 48 with a picture of Mr. Allen hoisting the Lombardi, I think it would be a pretty awesome. Along with a thank you at the bottom or something?

I dunno, just a thought! I know we have talented people here and I would love to see something like that for such a huge influence on Seattle!
    "I want it! I hate losing!"
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:08 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

:( :( :(
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:13 pm
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:37 am
  • https://www.seahawks.com/news/seahawks- ... paul-allen

There will be a jersey patch to honor Paul Allen
    Attachments
    202C4791-8568-4A7C-A56D-C18C8ABD19BA.jpeg
    202C4791-8568-4A7C-A56D-C18C8ABD19BA.jpeg (247.56 KiB) Viewed 434 times

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:13 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:https://www.seahawks.com/news/seahawks-to-wear-patch-honoring-paul-allen

There will be a jersey patch to honor Paul Allen

Oh no........... that means I will have to add another game used jersey to the collection! :irishdrinkers:
    Sent from my Motorola Razor Flip Phone
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:01 pm
  • R.I.P., Paul. Thank you for keeping our Seahawks home in Seattle!
    We all we got! We all we need!
    Hawksfanatik
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:40 pm
  • I'd love to see this type of permanent addition to our jerseys.
    Attachments
    PGA jersey 2.jpg
    PGA jersey 2.jpg (152.08 KiB) Viewed 242 times
    Sent from my Motorola Razor Flip Phone
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:33 pm
  • While I didn't agree with all his political beliefs or what initiatives he chose to donate to, I will be truly forever grateful to him for keeping the franchise I grew up watching here in Seattle where it belongs. Being able to take my then 7 year old Daughter to the Championship parade is something I will never forget.

Rest in paradise Paul, you will be missed.
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:29 pm
  • Maybe it's just me but every single time I come into the forum and read "Paul Allen has died" at the top of the forum it hits me all over again.

:(

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:31 pm
  • https://www.seahawks.com/news/seattle-area-buildings-to-go-blue-this-weekend-to-honor-seahawks-owner-paul-alle?fbclid=IwAR3asoh78Jo7o0h7srjuKoWKqkfHvp6U7QwN3JhNnC6CBEDsXvBsmnZUEwE

CenturyLink Field and Virginia Mason Athletic Center, two venues the Seattle Seahawks call home, are part of a growing list of Pacific Northwest landmarks, buildings, and institutions set to light up blue this Saturday and Sunday in honor of Paul Allen, the franchise’s owner who died last month from complications of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

The list of structures going blue — one of Allen’s favorite colors — throughout the Seattle-area and beyond this weekend includes, but is not limited to:

CenturyLink Field
    Virginia Mason Athletic Center
    Allen Institute
    Amazon's Spheres
    Columbia Tower
    Evergreen Point Floating Bridge
    Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum
    Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
    Living Computers: Museum + Labs
    Madison Centre
    Microsoft City Center
    Museum of Pop Culture
    Safeco Field
    Space Needle
    Union Square
    Washington State Convention Center
    Westlake Park

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:44 am

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:47 am
  • This is a fitting display.
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:14 pm
  • Damn son, this feels like the morning when we buried pops.
    This one(two) is for you, P.A.!

GOOOOOO HAWKS!!!
    In a cemetery full of Tomahawks.
    Givin’ middle fingers to the pigeons doing somersaults.
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:57 pm
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:15 pm
  • Latest comes nt out, is the team will be sold and all profits from the sale will go to the Paul Allen foundation. It appears that Paul wants lots of his mass fortune to go to charity
    warden
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:16 pm

• SEATTLE – If the Seattle Seahawks are sold, the proceeds will benefit the Paul G. Allen Foundation, the NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported Sunday.

Rapoport cited “several sources informed of the situation” who said the foundation will be the beneficiary of a potential sale.

While no sale is imminent, according to the report most believe it will eventually happen and potential buyers are already researching and preparing for the opportunity.

Several owners have said the team will stay in Seattle either way.

Rapoport said the sale is likely to set a record for the most expensive sale of a North American sports franchise.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Previous

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:54 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information