No Earl Thomas, no problem: Seahawks have top safety tandem

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
This is better than I expected, but they're not there yet. Giving up 33 points to the Rams at home is a problem.

And Tedric seeing so few passes come his way is, at least in part, an artifact of a gimpy and Tom Cable-coached Raiders O-line being unable to protect long enough to set up any deep routes.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":20r2t7k8 said:
This is better than I expected, but they're not there yet. Giving up 33 points to the Rams at home is a problem.

Is it?
They gave up 42 with Earl and Maxwell (LOB members) late last season, so I'm not so sure about that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":prvdpd1r said:

And Tedric seeing so few passes come his way is, at least in part, an artifact of a gimpy and Tom Cable-coached Raiders O-line being unable to protect long enough to set up any deep routes.

The Rams were averaging 35+ a game before us, so it's no slight to Thompson and McDougald.

The more important thing for me is how damn physical the secondary is playing, we're getting back to bullying WR corps like the old days................to the tune of knocking four WR's out of the game in two weeks.

THAT'S what I like about how these guys are playing, stats aside.

Bandwagon76

Reaction score
Nothing negative to take away from this thread. That right there is something to hang your hat on.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2287uvy2 said:
MontanaHawk05":2287uvy2 said:

The Rams were averaging 35+ a game before us, so it's no slight to Thompson and McDougald.

It isn't an endorsement, either. Giving up 33 points at home is not conducive to a...

Oh wait, never mind, we weren't expecting a playoff run, so it's ok for these guys to play the Brandon Browner deceptively-bad game. Cool.

Jury's still out on Tedric for me. I was sold on McDougald last year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1kqwjumg said:
Sgt. Largent":1kqwjumg said:
MontanaHawk05":1kqwjumg said:

It isn't an endorsement, either. Giving up 33 points at home is not conducive to a...

Oh wait, never mind, we weren't expecting a playoff run, so it's ok for these guys to play the Brandon Browner deceptively-bad game. Cool.

Are you going to blame the D-line as well? Cause you can't cover a WR corp like the Rams have for 5-6 seconds every snap because your D-line can't get pressure on Goff.

My point was the Rams have done that to every team they've played, the combo of Goff, their great O-line and arguably the best WR corp in the league is a tough match for any secondary.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ok show me the team that has shut down the Rams since they started to roll.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":3g4f6g0d said:
Ok show me the team that has shut down the Rams since they started to roll.

Since last season the Rams have been held under 20 points just 3 times.

Seattle held them to 16
Minnesota held them to 7
SF held them to 13 and destroyed them 34-13

Pretty much it.

Jac

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1x7v9id6 said:
The more important thing for me is how damn physical the secondary is playing, we're getting back to bullying WR corps like the old days................to the tune of knocking four WR's out of the game in two weeks.

I've actually seen some chatter about this on other boards. There's this grudging admiration that while it seems like every other team is afraid to play defense now, Seattle just continues to hit like it's the old days. I mean even when they hit the QB, they weren't exactly micromanaging their body weight.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":ksh5kge9 said:
Sgt. Largent":ksh5kge9 said:
MontanaHawk05":ksh5kge9 said:

Seriously... can't it be both?

Can't the two be good and struggled?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Progresses are seldom linear, there will be some struggle at times, but I am so looking forward to seeing our safeties and LOB v2 towards the later part of this season.

With our new ownership, Pete probably will not be back, so I am going to enjoy our defense as it last.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jac":3m17jt6w said:
Sgt. Largent":3m17jt6w said:

I've actually seen some chatter about this on other boards. There's this grudging admiration that while it seems like every other team is afraid to play defense now, Seattle just continues to hit like it's the old days. I mean even when they hit the QB, they weren't exactly micromanaging their body weight.

Credit Pete and his coaches for how clinical and thorough they are with teaching proper tackling techniques.

I know people are saying McDougald's hit last week was illegal, but it's really the first time our aggressive and physical tackling has been called into question.

I'm not always enamored with how Pete runs his offense, but make no mistake he's one of the greatest defensive schemers and coaches of all time, especially at the DB position.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
If Thomson and Flower keep their development, we could be really good.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't know Eeyore's home state was Montana. Cool. Learn something new every day.

Loving our new young bucks! Keep at it! This team is trending upwards and I am loving it.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Fire Pete, it's all on Russ, OL sucks, running backs don't matter, we lose every game without Earl, etc.

You'd think most people were from Missouri, but now you done seent it.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
It's still early in the season but what these stats and the current product on the field show me is that our defense's success has more to do with the system than the players. It looks to me like our "system" creates stars not the other way around! It's too bad some of our stars didnt see it that way.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":3jwgbvuz said:
It's still early in the season but what these stats and the current product on the field show me is that our defense's success has more to do with the system than the players. It looks to me like our "system" creates stars not the other way around! It's too bad some of our stars didnt see it that way.

If one would to review ex-hawks defense stars, most were low round picks, castoffs, or un-drafted, these guys excelled with Hawks. Earl being an exception. Our current defense lineup? I saw a few low rounders, castoffs, and un-drafted.