Jake Heaps’ Film Room: What Seahawks’ Doug Baldwin proved in

ivotuk

Reaction score
Jake Heaps’ Film Room: What Seahawks’ Doug Baldwin proved in London

Seahawks wide receiver Doug Baldwin has been quarterback Russell Wilson’s favorite target for years, but injuries to both knees this season kept Baldwin out of the preseason entirely and caused him to miss two games.

[youtube]zn6u4i6OvM4[/youtube]

sutz

Reaction score
Jake needs a bit of work on his presentation, but that was an interesting video. Nice points.

Thanks for the link.

:2thumbs:

Seymour

Reaction score
He also proved that if he pitches a fit, spikes the ball and causes a penalty, that Russell will soon start force feeding him right into an ill-advised interception at the goal line. :snack:

sutz

Reaction score
Seymour":28ig1gzq said:
He also proved that if he pitches a fit, spikes the ball and causes a penalty, that Russell will soon start force feeding him right into an ill-advised interception at the goal line. :snack:
Yeah, because that's how it went down.

:34853_doh:

Seymour

Reaction score
sutz":29gc4yej said:
Seymour":29gc4yej said:

Re-watch the game then. After Baldwins fit Russell started to target him at 3x the rate as before. It's all on tape to see. That throw at the goal line was clearly forced, and Wilson had no other real reason to do that and he had been playing well.

Baldwin had 2 targets in the 1st half and threw his fit on the 2nd ball with penalty with 4:33 to go in the 2nd Q.
2nd half he had 6 targets and the int was 1 of 2 targets that was not a completion. It happened with 5:35 to go in the 3rd Q.

https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2018101407/2018/REG6/seahawks@raiders

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Seymour":3fwjx8nc said:
sutz":3fwjx8nc said:
Seymour":3fwjx8nc said:

Re-watch the game then. After Baldwins fit Russell started to target him at 3x the rate as before. It's all on tape to see. That throw at the goal line was clearly forced, and Wilson had no other real reason to do that and he had been playing well.

Baldwin had 2 targets in the 1st half and threw his fit on the 2nd ball with penalty with 4:33 to go in the 2nd Q.
2nd half he had 6 targets and the int was 1 of 2 targets that was not a completion. It happened with 5:35 to go in the 3rd Q.

Possible but I interpreted it slightly differently. On that interception drive Russ threw it to him 3-4 times in a row. It seemed forced the entire way, but I think the coaching staff was like "Get Doug involved as much as possible." Possibly for long term reasons. Because that throw was definitely forced. He almost pulled it off squeezing it in there though.

Seymour

Reaction score
Scorpion05":5pp6hrpf said:
Seymour":5pp6hrpf said:
sutz":5pp6hrpf said:
Seymour":5pp6hrpf said:

Possible but I interpreted it slightly differently. On that interception drive Russ threw it to him 3-4 times in a row. It seemed forced the entire way, but I think the coaching staff was like "Get Doug involved as much as possible." Possibly for long term reasons. Because that throw was definitely forced. He almost pulled it off squeezing it in there though.

I don't doubt that, very well could be. I more have a problem with the "rewarding" (additional targets) toxic behavior (that hurt the team) which is exactly how it appeared if you look at it from a neutral standpoint.

We saw similar childish behavior from Baldwin in SB 49 when he caught just 1 pass (more so Revis shut him down) (then shit out the football) that hurt the team. I hoped he was past hurting his team with childish outbursts, so I'm disappointed myself.

knownone

Reaction score
Jake works for Wilson so sometimes his analysis comes off as PR work. I liked this way more than his radio appearances.

StoneCold

Reaction score
sutz":2656uyug said:
Jake needs a bit of work on his presentation, but that was an interesting video. Nice points.

Thanks for the link.

Yeah, he's learning and I'm sure he will get better. What I don't get is why they don't use actual footage in these. Still photos or drawing it up on the chalk board (same thing with Brock's Chalk Talk) makes it harder to visualize the concepts they are trying to highlight.

He also did a poor job of explaining "Stack the defender". What did that mean?

Seymour

Reaction score
StoneCold":15weajk7 said:
sutz":15weajk7 said:

Thanks for the link.

Yeah, he's learning and I'm sure he will get better. What I don't get is why they don't use actual footage in these. Still photos or drawing it up on the chalk board (same thing with Brock's Chalk Talk) makes it harder to visualize the concepts they are trying to highlight.

Pretty sure that is a lingerie football term. 8)

LingerieFootballLeague2009calendar

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
StoneCold":17wt68m9 said:
What I don't get is why they don't use actual footage in these. Still photos or drawing it up on the chalk board (same thing with Brock's Chalk Talk) makes it harder to visualize the concepts they are trying to highlight.

I would guess because of NFL copyright issues. They protect their brand very (too?) strictly, and it's probably far too much work to get 30 seconds' worth of video permission.

lukerguy

Reaction score
This was almost the opposite of Brock's Chalk talk.. He said very little in a long video. Brock teaches a ton in a short period of time.

Room to improve Jake!

Also, the main point of the video was that Doug is a great route runner... yeah we know that:)

Own The West

Reaction score
StoneCold":2tyebwwl said:
sutz":2tyebwwl said:

Thanks for the link.

It means that he puts his body between the defender and the pursuit route. Like boxing out in basketball or obstruction in soccer. The idea is that the defender would have to go around Doug to make a play on the ball, rather than just have to catch up in a straight line sprint.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":19xqkb6a said:
That doesn't make any sense at all :229031_shrug: why is it you believe that Doug Baldwin was pissed, and throwing a tantrum right after catching the ball?
If anything, I saw a Doug Baldwin who was intending to advance the ball after making that catch, then the crap slick field gave out, & he went down....That "Spike" was out of frustration....IMHO, that's the only explanation that makes any sense.