Clayton: Where the 3-3 Seahawks sit coming out of their bye

ivotuk

Reaction score
Clayton: Where the 3-3 Seahawks sit coming out of their bye week

Teams have been blitzing the Seahawks’ offense a lot. According to ESPN Stats and Info, Wilson has been blitzed on 27.1 percent of his dropbacks, 10th most in football. Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Matthew Stafford, Cam Newton and Andrew Luck are the least blitzed.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/537182/cl ... after-bye/

sutz

Reaction score
No secrets there, when we prove we can beat the blitz, teams will do it less. :229031_shrug:

mistaowen

Reaction score
Hoping more running back screens, slants, and delayed RB routes start to emerge to beat the blitz. Carson is pretty good at catching and is elusive in space.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
We definitely took the brunt of it early when we were running ridiculous slow developing pass plays off a 3 step drop. Hopefully that era of Seahawk stupidity will be short lived and quickly forgotten.

We need blitz beaters and more play action to keep teams from blitzing. That's been a weakness for a while.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
mistaowen":27t1ijow said:
Hoping more running back screens, slants, and delayed RB routes start to emerge to beat the blitz. Carson is pretty good at catching and is elusive in space.
The QB's least blitzed have the ability to read the D and audible into such
plays and throw bullets from the pocket.RW is still new at this but when he
does get it down :irishdrinkers:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Wilson is always blitzed a lot. It's a big part of why the OL always looks bad; nobody ever slows down the tape to see whether the defense is sending five or six. QB/WR/TE play and offensive scheme affecting the OL, not just the other way around.

Seafan

Reaction score
For three years teams have been pressing hard to collapse the pocket regardless if it's with 4 men or more. That's nothing new, that is the biggest reason the offense had been in a funk. Russ wasn't getting any help from Bevell with regards to game planning, play calling and in-game adjustments even though everyone knew what was happening. The league figured how to play Russ and the Hawks didn't make any changes. Without Marshawn the team's offense was getting more anemic every week as teams simply tee'd off with no fear.

Russ has a chance to really excel this year thanks to Schott and Solari and thanks also to Pete's commitment to a strong running game. I think the best is yet to come.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seafan":20eanes5 said:
For three years teams have been pressing hard to collapse the pocket regardless if it's with 4 men or more. That's nothing new, that is the biggest reason the offense had been in a funk. Russ wasn't getting any help from Bevell with regards to game planning, play calling and in-game adjustments even though everyone knew what was happening. The league figured how to play Russ and the Hawks didn't make any changes. Without Marshawn the team's offense was getting more anemic every week as teams simply tee'd off with no fear.

Russ has a chance to really excel this year thanks to Schott and Solari and thanks also to Pete's commitment to a strong running game. I think the best is yet to come.

Post of the week.
Nicely done.

Teams figured out how to play us and CaBevell failed to adjust, and Pete's blind loyalty kept him from making the needed changes. The SB49 pick by Malcom Butler just magnified everytthing, showing how big the dysfunction was, on the world's biggest stage, with incredibly high stakes. It was the same issue, Pete's blind loyalty to a failed pair of coordinators who sabotaged each other.

Bevell sucked at play-calling? Yes, but you'd suck too if you had to call plays that depended on THAT O-Line winning any battles. Cable's O-Line sucked? Well, maybe, but the real problem was Bevell's play calling and game planning not working to neutralize the opponent's strengths, hide the Seattle O's weaknesses, and play to Russell's strengths, and take advantage of favorable matchups. Except... wait a minute... When Seattle had a matchup advantage in SB49, Chris Matthews, and Bevell and Wilson rode that matchup until NE put Browner on Matthews. Honestly, IMO, CaBevell was a chicken and egg problem, and not one of Carroll's brighter moves to leave the awkward arrangement in place as long as he did. However, The Pick in SB49 was clearly on Bevell, not Cable, for Bevell's poor matchup awareness, Kearse having to move Browner, his failure to use Russell's strength (mobility) and trying to "surprise" the opponent with one of Russell's weaker areas, throwing a slant over the line into the middle of the field on timing. Can't pin that stuff on Cable.

In 2015-17, the rest of the league did figure out how to play Russell, and CaBevell failed to adjust, Cable failed to update his blocking schemes for rule changes, and Bevell failed to come up with alternatives to slow down the pass rush, with screens other than the dreaded bubble screen.

It feels like Schotty and Solari at least pay attention to how other teams are playing us and adjust game plans and matchups. That was on display in the Rams game. One bogus holding penalty away from taking a late 4th quarter lead.

Fade

Reaction score
Russell Wilson has traditionally been great against the blitz. FYI

Last year (2017)
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/994997322797993985[/tweet]

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/qbs-in-focus-pressure-and-the-blitz
"Russell Wilson was the league’s best against the blitz at +21.5 and he did it with one of the highest times to throw at 3.05 seconds. He faced the second highest percentage of blitzes at 39.2 percent."

Let them blitz.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's interesting how for his entire career, we have heard how Russ isn't good at something. Only to have numbers, stats and wins prove different. And those who flat out refuse to like him will fight tooth and nail against the truth.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mistaowen":hei3nbnm said:

Yep.

These better run defenses we're about the play are going to give the Hawk's offense a lot of 8-9 in the box looks to stop the run.

Should be a lot of opportunities for big plays downfield and screens, quick hit slants and play action.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'd like to see a by-game breakdown on the number of blitzes called against the Hawks because this year has been the tale of two different offensive schemes by the Hawks thus far.

In games #1 and #2, Russell threw the ball 33 and 36 times, respectively, and was sacked 6 times in both games (12 total). I wouldn't be surprised in the lion's share of the blitzes came in these two losses. I should mention that Seattle rushed for only 64 and 74 yards, respectively... a paltry sum in total.

In games #3 through #6, Russell has thrown the ball an average of only 24 times/game (similar to 2012, 2013 and 2014)... and as a result, he was sacked only 7 times total in 4 games (2, 2, 2 and 1). By comparison, Seattle rushed the ball for an average of 157 yards/game. Not too surprisingly, Seattle went 3-1 in those four games.

So my belief is we will see the emphasis stay on the running game and as a result, teams will be less inclined to blitz and Russell's number of sacks will decline.

xray

Reaction score
The OL is better translating to a better run game translating to better QB play...in that order....If the Hawks get to the playoffs it will be on the backs of the OL. IMO

Tical21

Reaction score
I've never understood why they use quarterback rating, which doesn't take sacks into account, to determine success against the blitz.

HawkGA

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3522ijo4 said:
It's interesting how for his entire career, we have heard how Russ isn't good at something. Only to have numbers, stats and wins prove different. And those who flat out refuse to like him will fight tooth and nail against the truth.

I don't mean to throw cold water on this, but there's a good reason Russell has a high passer rating against the blitz. He doesn't throw the ball away. So he's most likely to make a completion when he throws it or he takes a sack instead of throwing it away. I think this is definitely a case where we can easily be led astray by statistics.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Tical21":36z70sxg said:
I've never understood why they use quarterback rating, which doesn't take sacks into account, to determine success against the blitz.

Gosh darn it. Should have been quicker on the Submit button. You beat me to it by a minute.

mrt144

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2wi4nfxy said:
Wilson is always blitzed a lot. It's a big part of why the OL always looks bad; nobody ever slows down the tape to see whether the defense is sending five or six. QB/WR/TE play and offensive scheme affecting the OL, not just the other way around.

I invite every defense to run those blitzes with a cover 0 shell. Every last one of them.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":1eylue32 said:
SoulfishHawk":1eylue32 said:

I don't mean to throw cold water on this, but there's a good reason Russell has a high passer rating against the blitz. He doesn't throw the ball away. So he's most likely to make a completion when he throws it or he takes a sack instead of throwing it away. I think this is definitely a case where we can easily be led astray by statistics.

Never? Rarely? Or, not enough to satisfy some fans thus it feels like it happens frequently? Do you have actual proof of this, or just a feeling?

I'm really not trying to be interrogating; I'd really like to know because it feels to me like I've seen him throw it away more than I'd like.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
I think it's pretty obvious the Hawks offense has never been good unless we dominate rushing--it just opens everything else up--including mitigating qb pressure.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!