Pete Carroll

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
I thought the game had passed Pete by? I thought he lost the locker room? I thought his style no longer translated to the wide open modern NFL?

You guys sure are quiet now. What a surprise.

Pete has overcome injuries, massive roster turnover, young inexperienced players, while also integrating new coordinators and their schemes. He has taken a beat up roster of castoffs, late round picks, and young players and got them playing hard and fast. If he can get this squad to the playoffs he deserves Coach of the Year...

...and yet you wanted him fired.

warden

Reaction score
Yeah was thinking the same thing

These ridiculous fire Pete Carrol threads, just plain out right amusing.

After watching Pete Carrol coach the team for the last 8 and half years , you would have think that they would figured out, that Pete Carrol coached teams are always competitive

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Apparently it’s mean to point the errors of the Debbie Downers ways. They can slander our coaches and players mercilessly but if we suggest they are being foolish and don’t know anything, we are the cruel minded ones.

Pete knows more about football than anyone else here and has had unbelievable success at all levels of the sport. The disrespect this year was mind blowing. Dude can coach the Hawks until he retires, as I’ve said previously.

ballhawks12

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1a1iad7x said:
Apparently it’s mean to point the errors of the Debbie Downers ways. They can slander our coaches and players mercilessly but if we suggest they are being foolish and don’t know anything, we are the cruel minded ones.

Pete knows more about football than anyone else here and has had unbelievable success at all levels of the sport. The disrespect this year was mind blowing. Dude can coach the Hawks until he retires, as I’ve said previously.

+1. In Pete I Trust.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Lets be honest though...

Pete has returned to what brought him early success. The last couple years were ragged and inconsistent.

Detractors weren't wrong, maybe just a bit too impatient to give Pete the chance to change

sc85sis

Reaction score
Calling for him to be fired and saying the game had passed him by was wrong. Disparagingly referring to “Pete Ball” was wrong.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
sc85sis":29odi5p5 said:
Calling for him to be fired and saying the game had passed him by was wrong. Disparagingly referring to “Pete Ball” was wrong.

Yes... all overreactions

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
sc85sis":1s8l52m5 said:
I don't think it was wrong as much as it was premature. People that have complained have done so with reason. The problem, as it always is, is that everyone thinks things should turn around so damn quick. No one is patient anymore.

sc85sis

Reaction score
They can complain without making statements like those. Saying they had concerns that the team had wasted some opportunities would have been justified. Saying they weren’t optimistic about the team right now but were willing to see if the changes made since last season would make any difference would have been justified.

Those statements were not justified.

warden

Reaction score
A brutal schedule to start off the season with five of your first seven games on the road. Especially with all the turn over and injuries this team had to endure. But we have a winning record. Let's not forget, if we hit the month of December in the running for a wild card spot, the schedule becomes extremely favorable with 4 of the five games we play in December been at home. A strong November puts us in great shape. Awesome coaching job

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
sc85sis":34hh7a3v said:
This isn't what people are referring to as "Pete Ball". Pete ball an offensive philosophy that ignored the short and immediate routes for low percentage long balls. That is what we played since 2015. This brand of football is distinctly different from even our Super Bowl winning ball. Lot of under the center running/passing, and motion that wasn't there before before. Our usage of TE's has also been completely different under Schottenheimer. We're also using a lot more short routes. Our offense is starting to look much different than anything under Bevell or Bates. I wonder if more control was given to Schottenheimer?

The thing with Pete that you always have to look out for though is a regression to the mean. Carroll always has the tendency to go back to the fk it im going deep sort of offense. His deal is he just needs to stay out of the offense and let his offensive coordinator handle things. When he does that we're fine, when he interferes we can't get out of our own way. Most people don't mind a run dominated offense, what they do mind is a passing game that ignores everything but one aspect, an offense that lacks nuance. That isn't this offense right now.

MrThortan

Reaction score
I had an emotianal reaction to the crappy play early in the season. I like what I am seeing now though. I love watching this team. Pete is proving that he has earned at least another year to see if he can return the team to glory.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2xiweulk said:
sc85sis":2xiweulk said:
This isn't what people are referring to as "Pete Ball". Pete ball an offensive philosophy that ignored the short and immediate routes for low percentage long balls. That is what we played since 2015. This brand of football is distinctly different from even our Super Bowl winning ball. Lot of under the center running/passing, and motion that wasn't there before before. Our usage of TE's has also been completely different under Schottenheimer. We're also using a lot more short routes. Our offense is starting to look much different than anything under Bevell or Bates. I wonder if more control was given to Schottenheimer?

The thing with Pete that you always have to look out for though is a regression to the mean. Carroll always has the tendency to go back to the fk it im going deep sort of offense. His deal is he just needs to stay out of the offense and let his offensive coordinator handle things. When he does that we're fine, when he interferes we can't get out of our own way. Most people don't mind a run dominated offense, what they do mind is a passing game that ignores everything but one aspect, an offense that lacks nuance. That isn't this offense right now.

This IS Pete Ball. Pete wants balance. He wants play action. He wants explosive plays. He wants the D to avoid giving up big plays. He wants to win turnover ratio. These are things he’s been talking about for 18 years now. The specifics on offense and defense may change, the philosophy does not.

People claiming otherwise have simply not been paying attention.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
sc85sis":27dwund1 said:
Spin Doctor":27dwund1 said:
sc85sis":27dwund1 said:

This IS Pete Ball. Pete wants balance. He wants play action. He wants explosive plays. He wants the D to avoid giving up big plays. He wants to win turnover ratio. These are things he’s been talking about for 18 years now. The specifics on offense and defense may change, the philosophy does not.

This is not Pete ball, and not what Carroll has been doing for years. "Pete Ball" was a moniker that was used to mock his offenses. He was abandoning the run even when it was working, and using long developing plays, and deep passes. He was also completely ignoring the play action until the RAMS games. Right now we're running the ball close to 60 percent of the time, and we're using a lot of short passes to move the chains. This is the antithesis to what Pete has been doing since 2015 and to some extent 2014. This looks more like Holmgren during 2005, and less like an offense that belongs in the 70s.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2hl1zkq7 said:
sc85sis":2hl1zkq7 said:
Spin Doctor":2hl1zkq7 said:
sc85sis":2hl1zkq7 said:

This is not Pete ball, and not what Carroll has been doing for years. "Pete Ball" was a moniker that was used to mock his offenses. He was abandoning the run even when it was working, and using long developing plays, and deep passes. He was also completely ignoring the play action until the RAMS games. Right now we're running the ball close to 60 percent of the time, and we're using a lot of short passes to move the chains. This is the antithesis to what Pete has been doing since 2015 and to some extent 2014. This looks more like Holmgren during 2005, and less like an offense that belongs in the 70s.
You didn’t really read what I wrote. I don’t care what you and others want to call Pete Ball. This IS it from a philosophical standpoint. Specifics change. Philosophy doesn’t. Pete never used shotgun or pistol at USC. He never used read option until Russell was drafted. Those are specifics.

Running the ball. Balance on offense. Play action. Explosive plays. Etc. That is Pete Ball.

toffee

Reaction score
ballhawks12":1fep9hs3 said:
Mad Dog":1fep9hs3 said:

+1. In Pete I Trust.

Same here, I am a Pete Carroll homer.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":2b8qsxl3 said:
I thought the game had passed Pete by? I thought he lost the locker room? I thought his style no longer translated to the wide open modern NFL?

You guys sure are quiet now. What a surprise.

Pete has overcome injuries, massive roster turnover, young inexperienced players, while also integrating new coordinators and their schemes. He has taken a beat up roster of castoffs, late round picks, and young players and got them playing hard and fast. If he can get this squad to the playoffs he deserves Coach of the Year...

...and yet you wanted him fired.

Dumb post, he was part of the problem, and he finally took himself out of the offensive game play and now were winning again. Problem is, it took him 3 years to figure out he wasn't the guy that should be in that position. He's good at defense and good at playing with an offense that runs the ball, same thing when we were the best team in the league.

Glad he figured it out but it shouldn't have taken this long honestly.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is cute.

They beat the mighty Lions and some of you want to pound your chest.

Sure.

I have no complaints about this game, but lets not pretend that we have not been subjected to outright garbage football for the past few years. This was one of the few games where we actually looked like we were trying to score instead of run the clock down.

That was the reason Pete was a nightmare.

That said, he had a great game. Let's see if we can continue the streak against teams that will end up with a better than .500 record at the end of the year.

What Pete was doing was not only not working but it was ugly, terrible, boring football that was actually resulting in losses. We seem to have changed our tactics and I am all for actually trying to score in the 1st half or actually attempting to score TDs instead FGs.

If this change continues, I will have no complaints. But to imply there was no reason to be upset is ridiculous.

Still, losing Paul changed everything. We no longer have assured excellence, so losing Pete would be a greater risk. The moment Allen was gone, any ideas to change from Pete had to be shelved.

While beating the Lions on a 10 am away game is an accomplishment, it is not validation that looking at options other than Pete was somehow misplaced. Because Pete's brand of football was god awful to watch. We needed a change and hopefully, he has changed.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
sc85sis":25yp9x1z said:
Spin Doctor":25yp9x1z said:
sc85sis":25yp9x1z said:
Spin Doctor":25yp9x1z said:

You didn’t really read what I wrote. I don’t care what you and others want to call Pete Ball. This IS it from a philosophical standpoint. Specifics change. Philosophy doesn’t. Pete never used shotgun or pistol at USC. He never used read option until Russell was drafted. Those are specifics.

Running the ball. Balance on offense. Play action. Explosive plays. Etc. That is Pete Ball.
Except Pete hasn't even tried to run that offense style since 2013 and some of 2014. For most of his career as a Seahawk we have not been playing this "Pete Ball" that you speak of.