oldhawkfan

Reaction score
That is statistically a perfect game for a QB. I’m sorry for the haters but game managers don’t enter the 7th game of the season with a 104.8 QB rating and then put up a perfect rating. Game managers are lucky if they have a QB rating around 80-85. Game managers don’t hover around 100 QB rating after 6 1/2 years in the league.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":31ardxwr said:
That is statistically a perfect game for a QB. I’m sorry for the haters but game managers don’t enter the 7th game of the season with a 104.8 QB rating and then put up a perfect rating. Game managers are lucky if they have a QB rating around 80-85. Game managers don’t hover around 100 QB rating after 6 1/2 years in the league.
Most people don't have much a problem with Wilson. What they have a problem with is a 30 million dollar QB that only throws the ball 16 times a game. Can he do more? Absolutely. That being said, if we're going to be paying a QB, the return on investment is extremely low for an offense that only is passing the ball around 45% of the time. We also don't want Carroll feeling forced to hand Wilson the ball either, because that is when we get wacky schemes.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Russ was excellent today. Moved in the pocket well. Took the edge on a keeper. Sat in the pocket and made good 3rd down throws.

And had 4 or 5 "wow" throws as well

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
The price tag for QBs is huge no matter who the guy is. Just look at the money the 49ers paid to a largely untested Jimmy Garrapolo. Russell Wilson will get a contract that pays him fair market value for a QB of his stature and experience. I’m fine with that. He is by far the best most complete QB this franchise has ever had. And it’s not even close.

toffee

Reaction score
To a percentage of people on this forum, Russ is too short, too expensive, Pete's hurting Russ's progress, Pete's a must fire.

Those voices are louder when we were not winning, and a bit sour when we are winning. Nothing could make these people happy.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":12djigmn said:
oldhawkfan":12djigmn said:
Most people don't have much a problem with Wilson. What they have a problem with is a 30 million dollar QB that only throws the ball 16 times a game. Can he do more? Absolutely. That being said, if we're going to be paying a QB, the return on investment is extremely low for an offense that only is passing the ball around 45% of the time. We also don't want Carroll feeling forced to hand Wilson the ball either, because that is when we get wacky schemes.

Oh my goodness give it a rest. You guys rip him when he struggles. Rip him when he runs for his life. Now that he’s throwing efficiently you’re ripping him for not throwing enough.

And to that point, that is with all due respect lazy analysis. We are a run first team. But you know why teams can’t stack the box with 8-9 defenders consistently? Russell Wilson

You know why defenses have to assign one LB to spy and respect the read option? Russell Wilson. In other words, because of Russ that’s one less defender our offense has to worry about.

This team is still structured around Wilson. Teams have to game plan and can’t focus on stopping our running game. Because we have a top 5 QB. It’s a similar dilemma to what teams had to deal with last year with the Saints. How do you stop a running game when Brees can throw it over the top. As with us, how do you stop a running game when Russell can run it, throw it in tight spaces, and audible into better running/passing plays at the line. Our QB is worth every penny :177692:

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Before today only 70 times in the history of the NFL did a QB have a perfect rating of 158.3. Russell brought that number to 71. Only 7 QBs have achieved this feat more than once. Surprisingly one of them is our own Dave Krieg. But only once as a member of the Seahawks.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah but will he make Kurt Warner's Top 5 QB list this Tuesday for the first time this season? :p :stirthepot:

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1y5uiazs said:
Whoever those people are need to get over it. Russ throwing the ball 17 times is a tribute to how well we are running the ball, which is partly made by the threat of Wilson's play-action passing and partly due to an offensive line that, even though this is about the QB, deserves to be mentioned because they deserve a lot of credit for the transformation they've undergone.

Wilson is a franchise QB who threw for 250 yards and 3 TDs today without turning over the football, on the road with an early start after a bye. That's a good day at the office for most quality NFL QBs. That's a fine return on investment for anyone who understands what it means.

In fact I think the only people who have a problem with a 30 million QB throwing 17 passes a game are the fantasy football owners, and perhaps people who only analyse stats in isolation.

Because what it means is we dominated the pace of the game. We didn't need to play catch-up at any point. We owned the time of possession and made the clock work for us.

That's what every fan wants every game, and if we can do that with a QB who can also bail us out if the game goes off-script, then we'll win a lot of games.

Pete Carroll's offensive philosophy is about power-running the ball to draw in the defense, then throw over the top, accurately and without turning the ball over. Wilson can contribute as a runner to keep the defense up, and because he is a legitimate threat who ties up an entire defensive player spying him. He throws an accurate deep ball, which is a necessity of the offensive game plan. He can pick up crucial third downs to keep drives alive even throwing into tight windows.

We use him when he's going to cause the most damage, because it reinforces the running game which in turn reinforces the passing game.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Terrific game by Wilson. The stat I like is his 82.4 completion pct. his passes were being caught. He maximized his attempts. Hopefully this continues.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't care if Russell Wilson throws for 12 times a game for 180 yards. All that matters, is leading his team to W's.

If people need to see him throw for 400 yards and 6 TDs game-after-game to prove he is a Top 5 ELITE QB in the league than I don't know what else to say to them.

He's Elite. He's doing it without gaudy numbers so to those naysayers I say GET OVER IT.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2hovula1 said:
Spin Doctor":2hovula1 said:
oldhawkfan":2hovula1 said:

Oh my goodness give it a rest. You guys rip him when he struggles. Rip him when he runs for his life. Now that he’s throwing efficiently you’re ripping him for not throwing enough.

And to that point, that is with all due respect lazy analysis. We are a run first team. But you know why teams can’t stack the box with 8-9 defenders consistently? Russell Wilson

You know why defenses have to assign one LB to spy and respect the read option? Russell Wilson. In other words, because of Russ that’s one less defender our offense has to worry about.

This team is still structured around Wilson. Teams have to game plan and can’t focus on stopping our running game. Because we have a top 5 QB. It’s a similar dilemma to what teams had to deal with last year with the Saints. How do you stop a running game when Brees can throw it over the top. As with us, how do you stop a running game when Russell can run it, throw it in tight spaces, and audible into better running/passing plays at the line. Our QB is worth every penny :177692:
Russ is not worth 30 million dollars, I'm sorry. Especially not in this style of offense. There are other QB's that could run this style. Sure, they wouldn't post the same numbers, but they could get the job done.

toffee

Reaction score
Aros":3imi2ytd said:
I don't care if Russell Wilson throws for 12 times a game for 180 yards. All that matters, is leading his team to W's.

If people need to see him throw for 400 yards and 6 TDs game-after-game to prove he is a Top 5 ELITE QB in the league than I don't know what else to say to them.

He's Elite. He's doing it without gaudy numbers so to those naysayers I say GET OVER IT.

This.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1b6cr8rh said:
Scorpion05":1b6cr8rh said:
Spin Doctor":1b6cr8rh said:
oldhawkfan":1b6cr8rh said:

Russ is not worth 30 million dollars, I'm sorry. Especially not in this style of offense. There are other QB's that could run this style. Sure, they wouldn't post the same numbers, but they could get the job done.
And it's fine that you think that way. If you can't get past the numbers you will never know why Wilson is in fact *essential* to the offense we run, and that's OK. You're entitled to an opinion even when it's wrong.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":116xcoyi said:
Scorpion05":116xcoyi said:
Spin Doctor":116xcoyi said:
oldhawkfan":116xcoyi said:

You’re very much in the fringe minority with this viewpoint. The vast majority of Seahawks fans want to see Russell Wilson extended at the fair going rate for his position. If he decides to take a little less to help the team, then great.

It’s also incredibly myopic because it assumes the stellar run game we are witnessing will continue. Just last season, Wilson led the NFL in TDs and total yards passing and running. Remember that? LOL.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Russ is worth 30 million a year because he can go 14-17 for 250 and 3 TDs

And..

He can throw 35 times for 350 and 4 tds... as he has in the past. Hes already proved he can throw with the best qbs in the modern nfl.

Today they needed him to throw 17 times

You can argue whether you want to pay 30 year old Russ that much for thst kind of balance... but if you choose to go the other way the team better have the right qb in mind to replace him.

sutz

Reaction score
Russ Wilson is still a guy that can drive down field in the 4th for a go-ahead score as well as anybody.

Sorry he doesn't put up fantasy points, but I live in reality. I know that if we're close in the 4th, Russ is a guy that can get it done.

:2thumbs:

Latest posts