3. Cleveland
4. Buffalo
5. Houston
6. Baltimore
7. Denver
8. Jacksonville
9. Arizona
10. NY Jets

So, our three losses are against the 2, 5, and 7th ranked teams in DVOA?

themunn

Reaction score
Sorry I can't take this seriously when the chargers sit in 3rd.

They have beaten:
2 teams with 1 win each (49ers and Raiders)
2 teams with 2 wins each (Browns and Bills)
And were a failed 2 point conversion from losing to a Titans team... who lost to the Bills! Who by that very article are on course to have a worse offense than the 92 Hawks!

I get that you can only beat the team in front of you, but the Chargers are surely flattering to deceive

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
themunn":17afxrxi said:

They have beaten:
And were a failed 2 point conversion from losing to a Titans team... who lost to the Bills! Who by that very article are on course to have a worse offense than the 92 Hawks!

I get that you can only beat the team in front of you, but the Chargers are surely flattering to deceive

Yeah, DVOA dings the Chargers -7.1% for having played the 30th ranked schedule. And that is despite having already faced (and lost to) the top two DVOA teams.

Chargers offense has been amazingly efficient, ranking #3 behind KC and LAR. Rivers has put up God-like numbers. He has a QB rating of 117.8. He has a perfect QB rating on action plays. Rivers’ QB rating under pressure is an earth-shattering 118.5. Browns and Bills are weighed down by their horrible offenses, but they are ranked #3 and #4 in defensive efficiency.

The Chargers also have the #1 and #3 PFF grades for RBs. DVOA ranks their run game 9th to go with the #2 passing attack.

Their defense has a lot of talent but has underperformed expectations. Sites like PFF had their secondary ranked #2 in the NFL before the season, calling them the “electric curtain.” Without Bosa, and missing Corey Liuget for the first four games, they just haven’t generated enough pressure or done well stopping the run.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
HawkGA":2g4q8od0 said:
The Rams aren't in the top 10 on defense?

Rams dropped to 12th in defensive efficiency (from 10th). They’re ranked 6th against the pass and 25th against the run.

They have immense defensive talent that does not appear to be very well coached. Carroll and McVay are in some ways like perfect opposites. That’s both a tremendous compliment (for McVay especially) and a bit underhanded. The older defensive mastermind and the young offensive genius. Now, the young guy has to prove that he can win a playoff game with elite offensive efficiency and a sloppy —yet still immensely talented— defense that they continue to throw resources at to compensate for a lack of good defensive coaching.

Fade

Reaction score
themunn":1vyivvqk said:

They have beaten:

DVOA accounts for strength of schedule.

Denver is the team that has me scratching my head. I am willing to bet they will be comfortably out of the top 10 by December.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2iww3p1r said:
HawkGA":2iww3p1r said:

Rams dropped to 12th in defensive efficiency (from 10th). They’re ranked 6th against the pass and 25th against the run.

They have immense defensive talent that does not appear to be very well coached. Carroll and McVay are in some ways like perfect opposites. That’s both a tremendous compliment (for McVay especially) and a bit underhanded. The older defensive mastermind and the young offensive genius. Now, the young guy has to prove that he can win a playoff game with elite offensive efficiency and a sloppy —yet still immensely talented— defense that they continue to throw resources at to compensate for a lack of good defensive coaching.

Wade Phillips isn't a good coach? Interesting.

94Smith

Reaction score
Hawks are running the gauntlet the second half of the season as you are facing 1,2,3,4. You have already lost to 2, 5, 7

chris98251

Reaction score
94Smith":183yb1t3 said:
Hawks are running the gauntlet the second half of the season as you are facing 1,2,3,4. You have already lost to 2, 5, 7

Still waiting for Grab a ho to surface after you all had him walking on water, how deep is that hole he sunk in for you guys?

sdog1981

Reaction score
There seems to be a little bit of confusion about what DVOA shows.

DVOA is based on the NFL average for any given play. If your team is on offense you want to be above average if you are on defense you want to be below average. The scale moves every season so that is why sometimes a defense will not pass the eye and memory test. A team can give up a bunch of yards and points but if it is below the NFL average then they will have a higher DVOA ranking.

2013 Seahawks defensive DVOA -25.9: In essence, the Seahawks held teams to below average production on a quarter of all plays. That can add up fast on a team.

2018 Seahawks:1.9% offensive DVOA that is almost as average as average gets. The number 2 rated defense is -12.9.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Fade":28e6gt3a said:
hawknation2018":28e6gt3a said:
HawkGA":28e6gt3a said:

As Arlo Guthrie once sang "For Times They Are a Changing" (harmonica plays) IF Wade Phillips were all that, he'd be able to adjust to the ever changing NFL, and have way more success that he's had since he's come into the League, eh?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
themunn":3ulti9p8 said:

They have beaten:

DVOA is not some arbitrary ranking metric. I suggest you read up on how DVOA is calculated, then tell us what you think is bogus about it.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Fade":4b7f1bdh said:
hawknation2018":4b7f1bdh said:
HawkGA":4b7f1bdh said:

Wade has good years and bad years. When he's new to the team, he kicks ass, but after a while his defense goes stagnant.

Might be from personnel losses, maybe players getting tired of his message and not "buying in." Or it could be because he's trying to cover for a weak offense.

IIRC, his up and down pattern are fairly consistent. That said, he is one of the better DCs, but he gets fired a lot...howevah! That might be the result of the HC getting fired... too many variables.

toffee

Reaction score
ivotuk":2r3kcwqx said:
Fade":2r3kcwqx said:
hawknation2018":2r3kcwqx said:
HawkGA":2r3kcwqx said:

Wade has good years and bad years. When he's new to the team, he kicks ass, but after a while his defense goes stagnant.

Might be from personnel losses, maybe players getting tired of his message and not "buying in." Or it could be because he's trying to cover for a weak offense.

IIRC, his up and down pattern are fairly consistent. That said, he is one of the better DCs, but he gets fired a lot...howevah! That might be the result of the HC getting fired... too many variables.

Wade is real good, but Wade ain’t Pete. My no pc straight walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evergreen

Reaction score
I get though we pass the eye test. Gonna be very clear how good we are in a month. But unlike the last few years I feel good about playing these teams. We might just go off on the chargers.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
themunn":2qnth8dk said:

They have beaten:

They have also only lost to the Rams and the Chiefs. What if they were 2-5 and only beat KC and LA, would they be good then? Strength of schedule is nearly impossible to calculate till the end of the season.

Our 2005 season schedule was very weak but we still made the SB(only to get jobbed).

94Smith

Reaction score
All I was trying to say is that if the Seahawks make the playoffs, you deserve to be there as you would have faced all the tough teams. Sometimes teams make it there 10-6 with a cupcake schedule