Bobby Wagner the greatest tackler ever?

hawknation2018

Reaction score
#1 LB – BOBBY WAGNER, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS – 88.1 OVERALL GRADE

Wagner’s tackling ability has reached all-time great status at this point. He hasn’t missed a single one on 42 attempts this season. If we keep going back over the past year and a half, Wagner has missed all of three tackles on his last 192 attempts. And all three of those came after he returned from an injury late last season.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... l-pro-team

Mad Dog

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1yrhtvwl said:

Wagner’s tackling ability has reached all-time great status at this point. He hasn’t missed a single one on 42 attempts this season. If we keep going back over the past year and a half, Wagner has missed all of three tackles on his last 192 attempts. And all three of those came after he returned from an injury late last season.

And he’ll still lose the All Pro bid to Luke “concussion” Kuechly.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Probably not the best ever, but you can make the argument that he's the best tackler since he has been in the league. Him and Kuechly are flat out beasts out there.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2mi2uzt2 said:
hawknation2018":2mi2uzt2 said:

And he’ll still lose the All Pro bid to Luke “concussion” Kuechly.

Maybe; we get a few more quality wins and the mediots will start to take a little more notice of the team.

NINEster

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":133ctmll said:
Probably not the best ever, but you can make the argument that he's the best tackler since Bowman died in Seattle and Willis retired. Him and Kuechly are flat out beasts out there.

FTFY

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Keuchly is more of a standout on his team. Wagner has had to play alongside the LOB for most of his career. So it's easy to pick Keuchly as the all pro between the two when they produce similarly.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/976877931405422592[/tweet]

Guess who? The one and only.

NINEster

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2zxd1ql4 said:
Come on man, Kuechly is a beast. Just like Bobby is a beast.

Kuechly is a superior pass defending LB, while Wagner is a better run stopper.

Kuechly might be the best pass defending MLB I've ever seen, and at this pace he will have more than anyone except maybe Ray Lewis.

And for that, in a passing era that particular part of his game is being highlighted more than run stopping, which is the traditional measure of an MLB.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Like I said, there's a strong argument for either one, and I'm good with that.
I get crap for being too much of a "homer"
Now I'll probably crap for NOT automatically being a homer. :2thumbs:
I think Bobby is a better overall player, but it's not like any of us watch Luke every week. If he played here, I suspect plenty of people would say he was the better player.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
The last few years, Wagner has been amazing in coverage. His coverage grade is higher than Kuechy.

[Insert Crying Kuechy GIF here]

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not buying that coverage thing. Wags is very good in pass coverage. I believe what my eyes show me.

Chawker

Reaction score
I do believe Wagner is the best MLBer to have ever played for the Seattle Seahawks! Hands down, its not even close.

I'll try not to be to negative about this, its just my observation about his play, but it seem to me that Bobby isn't getting to the ball the way he use too. Its like he has lost his down hill ability when attacking. Its just my opinion, theirs nothing wrong with him or his greatness. It just seem to me that he has lost a step.
Cheers

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":c1rh2yyb said:
Noice. I'm happy we have Bobby, and they're happy they have Luke. Cool

Exactly. My only concern is how long mama lets Bobby play that foosball? :cry:

Fawaw2 1280 large

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I just find Kuechly lets the play come to him and tackles the guy after he's gained 4 yards. Bobby was always more able to stick his nose in things and stuff runners much earlier.

But that's my thinking. And maybe the media's preference for Luke over Bobby is not race related at all but I've failed to realistically see any reason why Wagner has not received similar levels of accolades despite being at worst equal to Kuechly.
I guess draft hype might be a thing at play here.

Seymour

Reaction score
Mad Dog":153lih54 said:
I just find Kuechly lets the play come to him and tackles the guy after he's gained 4 yards. Bobby was always more able to stick his nose in things and stuff runners much earlier.

But that's my thinking. And maybe the media's preference for Luke over Bobby is not race related at all but I've failed to realistically see any reason why Wagner has not received similar levels of accolades despite being at worst equal to Kuechly.
I guess draft hype might be a thing at play here.

One is a first round pick the other a 2nd, happens all the time. Still happening to some degree with Luck and Wilson. Not a race thing at all IMO. In Wilson's case, it's simply his height, his running ability, and his 3rd round drafting.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Seymour":ftlzs27p said:
One is a first round pick the other a 2nd, happens all the time. Still happening to some degree with Luck and Wilson. Not a race thing at all IMO. In Wilson's case, it's simply his height, his running ability, and his 3rd round drafting.

TBF I don't think the difference in media love is NEARLY AS LARGE as some Hawks fans make it out to be (the Seattle-sports-victim-complex is really a real thing, IMO).

That said, I don't think ANYBODY would disagree that a non-trivial part of national media attention is personality, and Wagner has the public personality of a doorknob.

Kuechly is known as a good and fun interview, and someone who likes to mess around. Wagner's personality isn't known at all.

It's no different than acknowledging that on top of his excellent play, the way Sherman elevated his profile above all other CBs was by having more personality than all of them also.

For my hometown 9ers, Joe Staley is a good player for sure, but probably wasn't demonstrably better than Bowman or Frank Gore at their positions at the time. He had a bigger national profile though because he's a great interview and someone everyone likes to talk to when the national media comes into town, whereas Bowman and Gore were basically blank slates.

It's the same deal with Wilson and Luck to some degree. The national media fawns over Wilson's ability all the time, but there's not much to say about him beyond that, because talking to him is like trying to hold a conversation with a greeting card.

It doesn't mean they're not good players or don't have their play complimented whenever national media is in town for a game, but across the entire NFL good players who also have demonstrable public personalities get MUCH MORE ATTENTION.

It's the same reason why Bennett got more national media attention than Earl Thomas, why Lynch got more national media attention than Wilson, and so on.