Dickson Draft Appears. . .

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
. . . to be a good move, even through some early ups and downs. Is anyone bothered that we used a 5th round pick on this guy?

He earned NFC Special Teams Player of the Week.

"Seattle Seahawks punter Michael Dickson was named NFC Special Teams Player of the Week after icing the 28-14 win over the Detroit Lions. The rookie was supposed to take a safety in their end zone but he saw an opening and ran for a first down. He averaged 49.5 yards per punt during the game."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... f-the-week

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I think he's pretty fortunate that gamble paid off because we would be talking about launching him into the sun if that move had backfired. It's not like he made the 1st down by 10 yards, first contact was right at the first down marker so it was not like it was a sure thing. It was nice to be able to hold the ball & basically run out the clock but it probably wasn't the right time for that particular move.

I think he's been a good pick-up but he's had a couple games where he's hit line drive punts that have screwed up the coverage & we got a little lucky that penalties negated some good returns against us but he's also pinned teams deep with some real nice directional punts. He'll continue to improve & I'm happy to have him.

Chapow

Reaction score
I was happy with the pick at the time and I still think he was well worth a 5th round draft pick. Small price to pay to secure a good punter for the foreseeable future IMO.

Atradees

Reaction score
A 464 foot HR hit by Sneider and gang.

Not a safer bet in our draft. I would like to see better kick and punt coverage from special teams.

I like when Dickson bounces the ball and kicks. Those seem to limit kick returns. Touch-backs put teams at the twenty five.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Not bothered at all.

Day 3 picks are most often simply ST players. Dickson is a key performer. In terms of roster impact, one cannot exclude the additional cap savings he provides this year and in the upcoming three years.

Good smart pickup.

capncrunch

Reaction score
He's an upgrade over Ryan at the rookie price. I like it. It would have been a major bummer if he was stopped short of the first down on his run, but I think we would have won anyway. I'd like to see a play like that around midfield or in the other side of the 50 going forward. If there is any pick I find dubious it is probably Penny in the first round.. I hope he turns out to be a great player.

Seymour

Reaction score
I've liked the pick from the beginning, but being honest he's had less impact than I had envisioned. I'm not real keen on the Aussie sweep either, it was too close and too risky and to be honest that choice should be above his pay grade IMO. The guy really doesn't even understand the game all that well for one.

That said, he made it and we won and ringmaster Pete seemed happy LOL.
I'm just not seeing HOF type talent yet and I figured that level of talent would show up right away. Still like the pick....waiting to love the lick right now. :2thumbs:

JGreen79

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":3twq5l9c said:
I think he's pretty fortunate that gamble paid off because we would be talking about launching him into the sun if that move had backfired. It's not like he made the 1st down by 10 yards, first contact was right at the first down marker so it was not like it was a sure thing. It was nice to be able to hold the ball & basically run out the clock but it probably wasn't the right time for that particular move.

I think he's been a good pick-up but he's had a couple games where he's hit line drive punts that have screwed up the coverage & we got a little lucky that penalties negated some good returns against us but he's also pinned teams deep with some real nice directional punts. He'll continue to improve & I'm happy to have him.

I think some of his line drive punts are intentional, he does some incredible things with the ball off his foot.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He flat out switches the field position, pretty consistently. There's a reason they moved up to get him, and someone else would have. Love the pick, and he's going to get a heck of a lot better.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
JGreen79":1cfb4ib3 said:
Hockey Guy":1cfb4ib3 said:

I think some of his line drive punts are intentional, he does some incredible things with the ball off his foot.

Really??????

Was the shank against the Bears also intentional?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I liked the pick. He's going to be good for a long time.

2_0_6

Reaction score
As this season goes on, we will see how much of an advantage he will really be. Night and day different from Ryan.

Is he on a squad anywhere btw?

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":kzw9t2el said:
JGreen79":kzw9t2el said:
Hockey Guy":kzw9t2el said:

Really??????

That's one punt. Have you ever made a mistake at your job?

Seymour

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":ipe0yoym said:
Hockey Guy":ipe0yoym said:
JGreen79":ipe0yoym said:
Hockey Guy":ipe0yoym said:

Really??????

That's one punt. Have you ever made a mistake at your job?

I'm sure he has, but my guess is he never murdered 900 people.

sutz

Reaction score
Never really doubted the pick at all. From his college stats and film, it seemed to me to be a great pick, especially when you start thinking that around the league teams are going to start looking at guys like him on the 3rd day.

Hell, the Raiders took a punter in the first round many years ago. I swear that Ray Guy probably won 2-3 games a year for them over his career by flipping the field and burying opponents inside the 10/20 yard line. Old timers will remember that. Al Davis was laughed at and declared senile and all that, but it really worked out for them. A 3rd day pick on a punter doesn't worry me, and please don't bore me with all the "superstars" you think were available when we picked him. Please.

:0190l:

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":6ouquvhh said:
JGreen79":6ouquvhh said:
Hockey Guy":6ouquvhh said:

Really??????

Read the article on Seahawks.com . He explains that kick. No it wasn't intentional. He's a rookie for Pete's sake, he's still learning and will make mistakes. The key is learning from those mistakes which is appears he has.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":3tl1dnbq said:
JGreen79":3tl1dnbq said:
Hockey Guy":3tl1dnbq said:

Really??????

According to an interview I read about that shank he was trying a specific punt they had worked on in practice but in the game he didn't have the time he needed to execute it. Recognized it was a mistake and needed more practice time with it.

Dudes a big talent and if he works on his craft there will be some special things happening. So I will forgive the occasional miscue.

Any time you find a potential pro bowl talent in the 5th round, you take it no matter the position. Kickers are people too. Ignoring special teams can lead to seasons like last year where it bites you in the butt.