Sweezy vs Pocic?? thoughts?

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Gentlemen;

I had a question to those who analyze this more than I do. I'm quite happy with the progress the OL has made. However, I'm curious is Sweezy playing that much better than Pocic was? Or is it just a matter of he's the right fit and the hot hand at this time?
I was excited that Pocic would be our LG of the future, I know he was hurt but I thought he was better.

Bottom I don't really care who's playing so long as they are getting results, I'm just wondering if Pocic will be pushing for playing time or if this will be a "redshirt year" with the emergence of Sweezy.

Thoughts?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Sweezy is clearly the better player right now. The deal with Pocic is he doesn't get outright beat. He just doesn't provide any push in the run game, nor is he really able to hold the pocket well in the pass game. He has solid fundamentals but just lacks in strength. In both pass blocking, and run blocking he gets pushed back pretty badly. Doesn't get outright beat though. The implications are no room to step up into a pocket, and not much of a push from the left side in the run game.

What Procic needs is a solid strength and conditioning program. He put on some muscle mass this year, but there is still some work to do here yet.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Someone with a much higher football IQ can comment better on this than I can but to my eyes, I would simply chalk it up to finally getting the right combination of players at the right position, Duane Brown's fantastic leadership and being a mentor to Ifedi, and Fluker's high intensity enthusiasm and plane ol' imposing his will on gameday.

For years we have been trying to fit square pegs into round holes and we finally have 5 round holes.

AgentDib

Reaction score
In descending order of importance:
1) JR Sweezy has six years of NFL experience whereas Pocic has 13 total NFL starts. In the same vein, Sweezy has had full-time NFL strength and conditioning for that period whereas Pocic is still building upper body strength.

2) Pocic also doesn't have the same natural leverage (inch taller in height, arm length is an inch shorter) so that upper body strength matters slightly more for him.

3) Sweezy played a couple of seasons with Britt before he left for Tampa Bay and now he's lining up next to him. There's obviously some good chemistry there and we've seen better than most over the last decade that you can't just plug random OL together and have it come together.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Experience is everything here, though Pocic needs to continue to work on his strength training as he was pushed around a lot until he was replaced.

I think Pocic has ability but presently still needs to develop physically.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I think Pocic is getting an undeserved bad rap here. He is clearly stronger and better overall than last season. I don't think there was a gain or a drop off when Sweezy came in, it just so happens that the line started to gel when Pocic got hurt. Now he is in a bad positon because as the saying goes,,, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Pocic will play center for us sometime in the next few years.

xray

Reaction score
Sweezy was here for the super bowl years...big time Seahawks vet. he is playing as good on the right as he did on the left.He is flatout playin excellent..he's gotta stay in there..Pocic will get his chances...Sweezy does have some back issues. Pocic is ready to play I'm sure. :irishdrinkers:

A-Dog

Reaction score
Seems like Pocic always gets the benefit of the doubt, unlike Ifedi

To me Pocic has been cinsistently poor, and IMO as much or more of a bust than Ifedi in his first two years. Yes, he lacks strength, and yes, he has been beaten quite badly on occasion.

I thought he could maybe take over for Britt at center but the Hawks picked up Britt's very expensive option so from what I can see Pocic's upside is as a decent C/G backup - something like Chris Gray. He doesn't have the tools to be a starter at tackle and he he doesn't fit a run-first offense as guard who is consistently overpowered. A 2nd round pick is high for someone you hope can be a Chris Gray.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
A-Dog":1pmd91ww said:

To me Pocic has been cinsistently poor, and IMO as much or more of a bust than Ifedi in his first two years. Yes, he lacks strength, and yes, he has been beaten quite badly on occasion.

I thought he could maybe take over for Britt at center but the Hawks picked up Britt's very expensive option so from what I can see Pocic's upside is as a decent C/G backup - something like Chris Gray. He doesn't have the tools to be a starter at tackle and he he doesn't fit a run-first offense as guard who is consistently overpowered. A 2nd round pick is high for someone you hope can be a Chris Gray.

This 100%.

Jville

Reaction score
I've followed the career of JR Sweezy since his NFL conversion debut. It's been a unique story of a special athlete. I always wondered what he could do on the left side when he was with the Seahawks during his first tour. Now, in addition to his most welcomed return, we can enjoy his play on the left side in answer to that question.

Ethan Pocic is still very early in his NFL career. His best is yet to come. Pocic's versatility is highly valued. The Ethan Pocic / George Fant combo gives them a versatile pair of game day backups with multi-positional advantages. They, along with the five starters of late, provide a solid game day group of seven offensive linemen.

I'm listening to players and coaches alike in taking this all in one game at a time. I feel very confident in this current group of seven offensive linemen.

toffee

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":1w7csjyi said:
A-Dog":1w7csjyi said:

This 100%.

This !!

I have not been on Pocic bandwagon, I believe he was draft to play in zone dominated system .... we are not that anymore. As a backup center guard he could be ok, but we also have Joey Hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Sweezy is an F350 with dually wheels. Pocic is a Ranger pickup.

And as long as Sweezy has been playing, it's hard to believe (and pleasantly surprising) he's still just 29. He has some quality years ahead and this year he has been vintage 2013. We have an awesome running game and he is a major reason why. He's simply far better and stronger than Pocic.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":39nuifuc said:
And as long as Sweezy has been playing, it's hard to believe (and pleasantly surprising) he's still just 29. He has some quality years ahead and this year he has been vintage 2013. We have an awesome running game and he is a major reason why. He's simply far better and stronger than Pocic.
:lol:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1x7b8j6k said:

So, if Sweezy is a dually F350, what is D.J Fluker?

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2tl4j4un said:
West TX Hawk":2tl4j4un said:

So, if Sweezy is a dually F350, what is D.J Fluker?

Fluker is the Bigfoot monster truck destroying through old '78 Chrysler defensive linemen!