Schotty wowed by Russell's Preparation

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Schottenheimer was asked about Wilson having more autonomy before snaps to change plays after reading the defense than the play caller is used to giving his quarterbacks.

“He deserves it. He’s earned it,” Schottenheimer said. “He does a terrific job of getting us in and out of good plays, bad plays, saving some situations that maybe don’t work. It just shows the trust that we as a staff, myself independently, have felt with him over the last couple of weeks.

“He works unbelievably hard. People probably don’t realize how many hours he puts into it.”

Schottenheimer said Wilson sends his coaches written reviews of plays and other written input. Judging by the impressed tone in Schottenheimer’s voice and the fact he wanted to say as little as possible about Wilson’s written assessments to coaches, apparently those are rare if not unheard of in the league.

“The write-ups and stuff that he sends us as a staff is really pretty cool,” Schottenheimer said. “I won’t go into it.

“I’ve been around some pretty good quarterbacks. I’ve never been around a guy that’s put that much work and preparation into it. It’s pretty cool.”

Read more here: https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/n ... rylink=cpy

:irishdrinkers:

Mad Dog

Reaction score
But we shouldn’t pay him because he’s just a glorified game manager.

kf3339

Reaction score
Scorpion05":187h7t9o said:
Schottenheimer was asked about Wilson having more autonomy before snaps to change plays after reading the defense than the play caller is used to giving his quarterbacks.

“He deserves it. He’s earned it,” Schottenheimer said. “He does a terrific job of getting us in and out of good plays, bad plays, saving some situations that maybe don’t work. It just shows the trust that we as a staff, myself independently, have felt with him over the last couple of weeks.

“He works unbelievably hard. People probably don’t realize how many hours he puts into it.”

Schottenheimer said Wilson sends his coaches written reviews of plays and other written input. Judging by the impressed tone in Schottenheimer’s voice and the fact he wanted to say as little as possible about Wilson’s written assessments to coaches, apparently those are rare if not unheard of in the league.

“The write-ups and stuff that he sends us as a staff is really pretty cool,” Schottenheimer said. “I won’t go into it.

“I’ve been around some pretty good quarterbacks. I’ve never been around a guy that’s put that much work and preparation into it. It’s pretty cool.”

Read more here: https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/n ... rylink=cpy

:irishdrinkers:

This is exactly what I felt RW should have been doing the last several years. He should have changed and audibled out of bad play design regardless of what Bevell ordered from the sideline. He wasn't a rookie and had far more understanding of the game at that point, but seemed to refuse to make that decision.

Now it seems he has an OC who understands this point and is encouraging him to make those choices. You can see they appreciate his input and trust those instincts. Good! :irishdrinkers:

chris98251

Reaction score
This addresses what many of us were thinking about the latitude Bevell and Pete gave him to change plays, little is a good guess.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Work ethic and a willingness to put in the hours is something hard to measure since it is done behind the scenes. Undervalued in player evaluation.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Yup.... Any qb can do well in our system right.... H es worth every penny of whatever contract he gets

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I watched this weeks presser with Schotty, and was impressed. He seems to know what he is doing.... unlike his predecessor.