Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Officiating Chargers vs Seahawks

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Officiating Chargers vs Seahawks
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:35 am
  • mikeak wrote:But it did counter those in this thread that believe the NFL is rigged and the Seahawks are on the "screw them list"

The funny part is that if a player pretty clearly stepping out of bounds and still being awarded a touchdown is a sign of the NFL being rigged against one team, even if we just limit this rigging to the Seahawks vs. the Chargers, that still doesn't get us anywhere.

For our comparison point, all we have to do is go back to the last time the Seahawks played the Chargers, when Percy Harvin very clearly stepped out of bounds before being awarded a touchdown 50 yards later (the NFL even had to formally apologize for that one).

My guess is the vast majority of Seahawks fans have completely forgotten about this, as it majorly gets in the way of believing the NFL is rigged against them. Not so much Chargers fans. :lol:
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:20 am
  • GeekHawk wrote:
    BoltonWanderer wrote:It was very difficult to watch, I hated the calls against Fluker and Britt but their touchdown when a foot was clearly out was ridiculous. Very frustrating to have so many bad calls throughout a game, and I'm typically a defender of sports referees. This was atrociously bad though, the NFL needs to look at punishing the officials involved or get them some additional training.

So, the NFL fired an official earlier this year but nobody knows why. Supposedly it was for some bad decisions, but objectively nobody can say what he did that was way worse than anyone else. Which makes me wonder if he was fired for calling a game straight-up when the NFL wanted it steered...

I really hate to think that the NFL has become the WWE. I don't watch pre-ordained crap like that, or "reality" shows, but I like to watch football. I don't want that to change. Much more of this crap and I'll need to re-assess.

I've slowly over the years transitioned to college football - with all the ridiculous rules in the NFL, it is becoming the NBA. Becoming not fun to even watch. Hell, I even watched a rugby game last sunday before whatever the hell the Chargers game mess was.
    OneLofaTatupu
    * NET Shrink *

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:46 pm
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    mikeak wrote:But it did counter those in this thread that believe the NFL is rigged and the Seahawks are on the "screw them list"

The funny part is that if a player pretty clearly stepping out of bounds and still being awarded a touchdown is a sign of the NFL being rigged against one team, even if we just limit this rigging to the Seahawks vs. the Chargers, that still doesn't get us anywhere.

For our comparison point, all we have to do is go back to the last time the Seahawks played the Chargers, when Percy Harvin very clearly stepped out of bounds before being awarded a touchdown 50 yards later (the NFL even had to formally apologize for that one).

My guess is the vast majority of Seahawks fans have completely forgotten about this, as it majorly gets in the way of believing the NFL is rigged against them. Not so much Chargers fans. :lol:

The difference in the Harvin TD is that the on-field officials didn't stop play to look at the TD.

This TD they actually replayed it & watch it with scrutiny and still found a way to call it TD. This is almost as bad as the crap call in the Broncos TD this year where they initially called it incomplete, had a conference and called it TD before the replay. Since call of the field says TD, they didn't have enough evidence to overturn the call.
    rcaido
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:51 pm
  • Bob, of BG&T is a fairly reserved, albeit opinionated radio host who doesn't jump to conclusions, and he said the officiating was bad, but on both sides of the ball.

I have a pet theory that the officials make ticky tack calls against the Seahawks so that the other team can get up on the score then force the Seahawks in to errors, pass only offense etc. Once that happens, they "even it up," but it's already too late as once one team gets up on the other, they have a distinct advantage and control the play of the game.

It could be fantasy, but it seems to fit some games.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:21 pm
  • Hawkpower wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but is it always a penalty to hit a pile when the whistle hasn't blown?

Couldn't Britt argue he was pushing the pile forward for extra yardage?

Yep, they did it with Marshawn Lynch quite regularly.
    Look, it wasn't like Britt went out of bounds to knock one of the Chargers Coaches on their ass.
    Whistle doesn't blow----the play is still alive.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:08 am
  • Hawkpower wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but is it always a penalty to hit a pile when the whistle hasn't blown?

Not even kidding, I instantly started to get a weird vibe when they didn't blow the whistle and the players kept adding up, I started questioning what was going on. It was at this moment that I saw Britt hit the pile to push it forward and INSTANTLY heard the whistle blow and KNEW they were just waiting to throw that flag. It's sad when you as a fan can see what the refs are up to before they even do it.
    2018 Adopt-a-rookie: Tre Flowers, CB
    jmahon316
    NET Rookie

Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:27 pm
  • jmahon316 wrote:
    Hawkpower wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but is it always a penalty to hit a pile when the whistle hasn't blown?

Not even kidding, I instantly started to get a weird vibe when they didn't blow the whistle and the players kept adding up, I started questioning what was going on. It was at this moment that I saw Britt hit the pile to push it forward and INSTANTLY heard the whistle blow and KNEW they were just waiting to throw that flag. It's sad when you as a fan can see what the refs are up to before they even do it.

What is even more distressing is they had Doug Baldwin in the air trying to strip the ball. Then Britt comes in and moves the pile toward the goal line....the rest is a whistle away.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:17 am
  • rcaido wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:
    mikeak wrote:But it did counter those in this thread that believe the NFL is rigged and the Seahawks are on the "screw them list"

The difference in the Harvin TD is that the on-field officials didn't stop play to look at the TD.

This TD they actually replayed it & watch it with scrutiny and still found a way to call it TD. This is almost as bad as the crap call in the Broncos TD this year where they initially called it incomplete, had a conference and called it TD before the replay. Since call of the field says TD, they didn't have enough evidence to overturn the call.

As for what my point was, I think this is splitting hairs. It would be like a Chargers fan coming in and saying that the difference is we could see Harvin clearly plant off his foot while out of bounds whereas for this most recent one it's at least possible his heel didn't touch in the out bounds because he was pushing off with the front of his foot which was in bounds. Or a Chargers fan could say it's not the same cuz the Chargers got a free TD from 8 yards out and the Hawks got a free TD from 50 yards out.

Those things are true too, but they're hair splitting as to what my point was.

As far as games being rigged against the Seahawks go, the real difference with the Harvin TD is that it was a clearly blown call that helped the Hawks instead of hurting the Hawks.

That it happened to be the same blown call against the same opponent the last time they played each other is just icing.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:43 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information