Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Carson is a good back but

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Carson is a good back but
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:25 pm
  • If the Hawks had a Melvin Gordon.
    TreeRon
    NET Starter

Re: Carson is a good back but
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:25 pm
  • Carson is injured too much, sorry.
    You got 1 year Pete
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:26 pm
  • That's why we used our last first-round pick on a RB.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:30 pm
  • Too bad Penny didn't get more run after Carson went out. Davis just does ooze starter punch. We don't really know what Penny is at this point.
    "You don't always get to play playoff games at home, or conference championships at home, or superbowls at home. You have to have the mindset that you can play to your potential wherever you are." - Pete Carroll
    nwHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:32 pm
  • nwHawk wrote:Too bad Penny didn't get more run after Carson went out. Davis just does ooze starter punch. We don't really know what Penny is at this point.

We know Penny shouldn't be returning kicks.

If he returns one more kickoff this season, I'm going to lose it.
    It seriously looks like he's not pressing the sprint button.
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:33 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:
    nwHawk wrote:Too bad Penny didn't get more run after Carson went out. Davis just does ooze starter punch. We don't really know what Penny is at this point.

LOL. True though.
    You got 1 year Pete
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:34 pm
  • He looked awesome to start the game, 8 carries for 40 yards. Must have flared up on him at half time. Davis is a nice spell back but isn't starting quality. Penny looks very disappointing so far, Pete even pulled him from kick return duty because he just jogs out to the 15 yard line every time. No burst, very hesitant to punch it through the line, don't think I've seen him break a tackle yet.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:36 pm
  • Sorry Davis is better than Penny period. Penny showed up fat to camp and has spent all season burning it off. He doesnt deserve to be the number 2 at this point
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:37 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:
    nwHawk wrote:Too bad Penny didn't get more run after Carson went out. Davis just does ooze starter punch. We don't really know what Penny is at this point.

But.....He is very consistent with his 15 yard returns. :(
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:42 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:

But.....He is very consistent with his 15 yard returns. :(

The only thing that was consistent all game. :stirthepot:
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:55 pm
  • Needs to be able to stay on the field because he's a difference maker when he's out there. As far as Penny goes he just looks so slow and unexplosive I'm not sure what happen to the guy who I think holds the ncaa record for return touchdowns but I don't see it right now.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:57 pm
  • getnasty wrote:Needs to be able to stay on the field because he's a difference maker when he's out there. As far as Penny goes he just looks so slow and unexplosive I'm not sure what happen to the guy who I think holds the ncaa record for return touchdowns but I don't see it right now.

I don't want a mindless back like Rawls, but he never really seems to hit the hole with conviction or aggression. He's still young mind you, but just an observation.
    Beren
    NET Rookie

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:58 pm
  • Pretty much. As good as Carson is, he's not game changing. He's a solid B+ back that paired with a good to great QB can make things happen. It reminds me that I'd much prefer having a Leveon Bell, Melvin Gordon, etc. plus Wilson.

That said, we lost today because we were afraid to switch gears to pass first. Running the ball in the 4th down 2 scores, idiotic
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:15 pm
  • Carson is decent and hits the hole hard and is a bear to bring down. Problem is, he is never a threat to break one and I dont think he'll ever play a season of injury free ball. Stinks he's dinged up, because the Hawks are a better team with him for sure.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:17 pm
  • We lost because we were looking at the deep ball more then underneath stuff like on the second to the last drive, Wilson trying to do to much as well added to the situation. Davis was serviceable, more underneath stuff would have helped everything.

Rivers having all day the first half didn't help, we played much better on defense the second half and started to get some pressure.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:42 pm
  • This thread is garbage—What the hell do people expect, to have Walter Payton back there for us? Carson’s run already for 3 100 yard games but people are bitching because he’s not Melvin Gordon or Laveon Bell?? Yes it’s unfortunate he’s missed 1 1/2 games this year but for people to whine because he hasn’t broken a 70 yarder is absurd.

With limited carries, he’s ran for 457, 4.4 this year. Lynch spoiled many of you-trust me it could be a lot worse. Of the problems with this team, Carson ain’t one of them.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:04 pm
  • Melvin Gordon sucked his first year too. Give Penny a bit of time.
    Carson will always be at risk for injury given his style. We need a decent stable like most teams.
    And Gordon missed two games. Backs get hurt.
    Mad Dog
    NET Starter

Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:10 pm
  • Been saying this all along.
    Hasselbeck wrote:Matt Flynn should be our starter. Wilson is nothing more than a backup and will never amount to anything in this league.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:15 pm
  • West TX Hawk wrote:This thread is garbage—What the hell do people expect, to have Walter Payton back there for us? Carson’s run already for 3 100 yard games but people are bitching because he’s not Melvin Gordon or Laveon Bell?? Yes it’s unfortunate he’s missed 1 1/2 games this year but for people to whine because he hasn’t broken a 70 yarder is absurd.

With limited carries, he’s ran for 457, 4.4 this year. Lynch spoiled many of you-trust me it could be a lot worse. Of the problems with this team, Carson ain’t one of them.

Carson isn’t the problem. The coaching staff and usage of their running backs is a problem. Penny needs to be1A, Carson 1B, and Davis out of the rotation. Hawks need to see how the Saints rotate their 1A/1B. As I have said plenty of times.... Carson is Marion Barber, Tim Hightower, Chris Ivory type.... type that can’t sustain weekly with that amount of abuse. He has shown it throughout his college and NFL career.
    Hasselbeck wrote:Matt Flynn should be our starter. Wilson is nothing more than a backup and will never amount to anything in this league.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:15 pm
  • ImTheScientist wrote:Been saying this all along.

But you liked Eddie Lacy, so I'm sorry to say nobody is going to listen to you when it comes to RBs.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:32 pm
  • ImTheScientist wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:This thread is garbage—What the hell do people expect, to have Walter Payton back there for us? Carson’s run already for 3 100 yard games but people are bitching because he’s not Melvin Gordon or Laveon Bell?? Yes it’s unfortunate he’s missed 1 1/2 games this year but for people to whine because he hasn’t broken a 70 yarder is absurd.

Carson isn’t the problem. The coaching staff and usage of their running backs is a problem. Penny needs to be1A, Carson 1B, and Davis out of the rotation. Hawks need to see how the Saints rotate their 1A/1B. As I have said plenty of times.... Carson is Marion Barber, Tim Hightower, Chris Ivory type.... type that can’t sustain weekly with that amount of abuse. He has shown it throughout his college and NFL career.

Yeah Penny looked great as 1A the first two weeks.

LOL at the problem being we don't feature penny mr down-on-first-contact enough.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:38 pm
  • Scorpion05 wrote:Pretty much. As good as Carson is, he's not game changing. He's a solid B+ back that paired with a good to great QB can make things happen. It reminds me that I'd much prefer having a Leveon Bell, Melvin Gordon, etc. plus Wilson.

That said, we lost today because we were afraid to switch gears to pass first. Running the ball in the 4th down 2 scores, idiotic

Too one dimentional. Gus just knew we were alwaays running on first down and stacked the box. We ran so much all they had to do was play from 5 yards off the line. predictable. lame offense.
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:39 pm
  • hawk45 wrote:
    ImTheScientist wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:This thread is garbage—What the hell do people expect, to have Walter Payton back there for us? Carson’s run already for 3 100 yard games but people are bitching because he’s not Melvin Gordon or Laveon Bell?? Yes it’s unfortunate he’s missed 1 1/2 games this year but for people to whine because he hasn’t broken a 70 yarder is absurd.

Yeah Penny looked great as 1A the first two weeks.

LOL at the problem being we don't feature penny mr down-on-first-contact enough.

Penny can't make anyone miss and runs slower through holes than a FB would at this point. He lost kick return duties where you're just supposed to run quickly for what you get and he couldn't do that.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:11 pm
  • Mad Dog wrote:Melvin Gordon sucked his first year too. Give Penny a bit of time.

True enough.

update: I just read an article on Gordon. He was overweight his 1st year and changed his diet. Penny: are you listening???
    Last edited by TreeRon on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
    TreeRon
    NET Starter

Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:22 pm
  • TreeRon wrote:
    Mad Dog wrote:Melvin Gordon sucked his first year too. Give Penny a bit of time.

True enough.

Melvin's problem was fumbling. He still put up some good games, talent was never an issue.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:45 pm
  • Geez last week Carson was an emerging star in this league.

Today he's a apparently a complimentary back at best.

Can we at least try and be more consistent? I mean I get the ups and downs from week to week, but cmon.... :lol:
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:26 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:27 pm
  • Hawkpower wrote:Geez last week Carson was an emerging star in this league.

Can we at least try and be more consistent? I mean I get the ups and downs from week to week, but cmon.... :lol:

True. Carson is a beast.

He's also a RB in the NFL.

What's the career span average at that position? About 3 seasons?

It's multiple car wrecks for those guys every game.
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:04 pm
  • Penny is not going to save the offense this season .
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:54 pm
  • I would venture to think that with Carson dinged they were not going to put Penny in a position to get injured, secondly Pete needs to have a heart to heart with the kid. It's not about speed or talent in my mind. It's mental toughness or willingness to just let his gifts work for him rather then think to much.

Penny does need to get his bad ass attitude working for him to step up his game, I don't know who could mentor him with that, Davis maybe but they are competing for the same playing time. But that is what separates Davis from Penny as well, Davis runs with attitude and angry. Penny is just doing a job so to speak.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:27 pm
  • Carson has had a hip issue most of the season. Time to let it rest.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:43 pm
  • TreeRon wrote:If the Hawks had a Melvin Gordon.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.....

Puhleeeaaaze.
    Vesuve
    NET Rookie

Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:45 am
  • Hawkpower wrote:Geez last week Carson was an emerging star in this league.

Carson is a great back. His issue is he has struggled with injuries his whole NCAA, and NFL career. That was one of the reasons why he went in the 7th round. His talent, and ability are undeniable.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:09 am
  • chris98251 wrote:I would venture to think that with Carson dinged they were not going to put Penny in a position to get injured, secondly Pete needs to have a heart to heart with the kid. It's not about speed or talent in my mind. It's mental toughness or willingness to just let his gifts work for him rather then think to much.

Penny does need to get his bad ass attitude working for him to step up his game, I don't know who could mentor him with that, Davis maybe but they are competing for the same playing time. But that is what separates Davis from Penny as well, Davis runs with attitude and angry. Penny is just doing a job so to speak.

Penny needs to be red-shirted for the rest of this season in my opinion. The guy doesn't look ready for the NFL, and he needs to focus on his strength conditioning in the off-season. He is clearly overweight, I think he needs to be playing closer to his combine weight. Some guys can get away with carrying the extra bulk, but it is becoming abundantly clear that Penny is not one of those guys.

I don't think his inability to break tackles come from a place of mentality either. He runs upright, and doesn't look very balanced. From the moment he starts running it looks like London Bridge is about to be falling down. Against the Rams there was a run I was absolutely flabbergasted by. It ended up being a 5 yard run but it should have been at least a 25. The line parted like the redsea and our blockers got to the second level. Penny was a bit slow to take the hole, and when he got into it there was one guy that had his momentum carrying him away from Penny, and behind Penny. This Rams player reaches behind from an awkward position as his momentum was carrying him forward. He gets one hand on Penny, and gives him a tiny love tap. He is then tripped up, and brought down by a single armed tackle from an odd position.

That kind of tackle does not happen to most NFL backs. Most backs would have just shrugged it off or high stepped. Penny's balance is not very good, and it's been a reoccurring theme with these small taps, and pushes being enough to bring him down. I have a feeling that even if he had a fire, and drive to run like a freight train that he wouldn't able to until he gets his lower body squared away.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:03 am
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:I would venture to think that with Carson dinged they were not going to put Penny in a position to get injured, secondly Pete needs to have a heart to heart with the kid. It's not about speed or talent in my mind. It's mental toughness or willingness to just let his gifts work for him rather then think to much.

Penny needs to be red-shirted for the rest of this season in my opinion. The guy doesn't look ready for the NFL, and he needs to focus on his strength conditioning in the off-season. He is clearly overweight, I think he needs to be playing closer to his combine weight. Some guys can get away with carrying the extra bulk, but it is becoming abundantly clear that Penny is not one of those guys.

I don't think his inability to break tackles come from a place of mentality either. He runs upright, and doesn't look very balanced. From the moment he starts running it looks like London Bridge is about to be falling down. Against the Rams there was a run I was absolutely flabbergasted by. It ended up being a 5 yard run but it should have been at least a 25. The line parted like the redsea and our blockers got to the second level. Penny was a bit slow to take the hole, and when he got into it there was one guy that had his momentum carrying him away from Penny, and behind Penny. This Rams player reaches behind from an awkward position as his momentum was carrying him forward. He gets one hand on Penny, and gives him a tiny love tap. He is then tripped up, and brought down by a single armed tackle from an odd position.

That kind of tackle does not happen to most NFL backs. Most backs would have just shrugged it off or high stepped. Penny's balance is not very good, and it's been a reoccurring theme with these small taps, and pushes being enough to bring him down. I have a feeling that even if he had a fire, and drive to run like a freight train that he wouldn't able to until he gets his lower body squared away.

Horrible analysis tbh. He was at 4.7ypc till they missed a block on his th carry.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:30 am
  • ImTheScientist wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:I would venture to think that with Carson dinged they were not going to put Penny in a position to get injured, secondly Pete needs to have a heart to heart with the kid. It's not about speed or talent in my mind. It's mental toughness or willingness to just let his gifts work for him rather then think to much.

Horrible analysis tbh. He was at 4.7ypc till they missed a block on his th carry.

Your analysis is even worse. He had 4.7 on 3 carries lmao.

Speaking of Carson, if he can somehow stay healthy, I don't even wanna see another back in the game, let it be prime Melvin or Gurley or Bell or whoever. I think he has already proven to be able to carry the 'feature back' label. In fact I think we have no chance to make the playoffs if he doesn't play, the dude is just too good
    quadsas
    NET Starter

Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:43 am
  • "Speaking of Carson, if he can somehow stay healthy, I don't even wanna see another back in the game, let it be prime Melvin or Gurley or Bell or whoever."

Really??? You think Carson is in the same league as Gurley, Melvin and Bell? Carson's a good back but he's a tier below those guys.
    TreeRon
    NET Starter

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:12 am
  • TreeRon wrote:"Speaking of Carson, if he can somehow stay healthy, I don't even wanna see another back in the game, let it be prime Melvin or Gurley or Bell or whoever."

Really??? You think Carson is in the same league as Gurley, Melvin and Bell? Carson's a good back but he's a tier below those guys.

We don't know if he actually isn't as good as them. You must be judging on name value and not actual play
    quadsas
    NET Starter

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:14 am
  • mistaowen wrote:
    TreeRon wrote:
    Mad Dog wrote:Melvin Gordon sucked his first year too. Give Penny a bit of time.

True enough.

Melvin's problem was fumbling. He still put up some good games, talent was never an issue.

654yds on 184 carries (3.5 yds/att) and 6 fumbles and a season ending knee injury his first year. Best game was 88 yds.

It was a bad first year. I'm sure Penny if given the opportunity could rush for 650 yds on 180 carries and fumble it 6 times. That's totally in his wheelhouse.
    Mad Dog
    NET Starter

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:28 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information