Offensive similarities to the Jets with Schotty/Sanchez

mistaowen

Reaction score
Loved what I saw the past couple weeks, Carson was a monster and the o-line was beating teams up. Made play action easy and R-R-P style worked because every 3rd down was manageable. The competition wasn't great though and the same problems I remember from the Jets AFC Championship years I am seeing here so far. There's a complete inability to move the ball throughout the game if the running game doesn't work and it feels as if they didn't want to adjust. Today needed a couple plays stretching the field and it was compacted into a 5-10 yard window every down, getting even more conservative if a penalty was called. Don't get me wrong, Russell is 10x the QB Sanchez was, but the issues are similar. I don't think I saw a single roll out or bootleg called which Russell has been killing this season. Along with that, a complete lack of play action, especially on early downs, was criminal. Run blitzing defense was just asking to get torched and they did nothing to exploit it.

The pick six allowed the offensive to get back in it because Gus Bradley went full soft zone up 25-10 however they still couldn't pick up any chunk plays. I think they burned like 6 minutes on the second to last drive with zero urgency which the Chargers loved. Same with the end of the first half, run up the middle, check down, check down all burning timeouts. I don't like a gun-shy Russell Wilson.

Today was a good barometer for the 2018 Seahawks with all their changes. I think the coaching staff deserves to shoulder more of the blame for today's loss even with some of the fudge ups by players throughout and overall am impressed going toe to toe with what I think is a Super Bowl contender. Chargers adjusted to attack the run on early downs, defense continued to go soft coverage on 3rd and long. The wild card race will be very interesting this season.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Good post. We can just hope that Schotty and Russell really review this game and learn from it, and that Carroll stays mostly out of the picture.

Gus Bradley had a good plan and approach today. Now if only he'd been this good and creative during the last 30 seconds of the Atlanta playoff game in 2012. I still think the approach there would have been to tackle the Atl WRs at the LOS on 3 successive plays, run down the clock 8 seconds at a time, giving up 30 yards total, instead of 50 and a winning field goal.

Now, for Bradley's 3rd-and-long "Picket Fence" defense, it would be interesting to see a little "Hook and Ladder" rugby style offensive scheme as a counter. Throw to a guy in front of the picket fence (Keenan Reynolds would be perfect in this role) who then pitches to one of two runners running off of him, depending on where the defense leaves gaps as they close on the ball. Is Schotty creative enough to come up with something like that? If he is, I hope he's smart enough to test it enough to know if it will work.

The NFL chess match is certainly entertaining.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
olyfan63":t7h7a40p said:
Good post. We can just hope that Schotty and Russell really review this game and learn from it, and that Carroll stays mostly out of the picture.

Gus Bradley had a good plan and approach today. Now if only he'd been this good and creative during the last 30 seconds of the Atlanta playoff game in 2012. I still think the approach there would have been to tackle the Atl WRs at the LOS on 3 successive plays, run down the clock 8 seconds at a time, giving up 30 yards total, instead of 50 and a winning field goal.

Now, for Bradley's 3rd-and-long "Picket Fence" defense, it would be interesting to see a little "Hook and Ladder" rugby style offensive scheme as a counter. Throw to a guy in front of the picket fence (Keenan Reynolds would be perfect in this role) who then pitches to one of two runners running off of him, depending on where the defense leaves gaps as they close on the ball. Is Schotty creative enough to come up with something like that? If he is, I hope he's smart enough to test it enough to know if it will work.

The NFL chess match is certainly entertaining.

The biggest thing for me today was inexplicably going away from play action. They've been so good at it the past few weeks and the defense today was actually run blitzing on first and second down. It was the perfect time to burn an overly aggressive defense and they just... didn't.

Chargers attacked our D knowing they'd stay zone and put Keenan Allen in the slot against LB's and Coleman. Didn't see any of that out of our guys today.