Wilson is not Elite

RCATES

Reaction score
Wilson is a glorified game manager. As soon as the running game struggles or in today’s case Carson goes out the Offense becomes pedestrian at best. Elite qb’s can carry a team with no running game. Wilson looks lost out there when the running game goes stale. Missing receivers, taking sacks, throwing picks. I don’t care what his stats are. No way you can give this guy 25+ million.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
RCATES":3vxco5oc said:
Wilson is a glorified game manager. As soon as the running game struggles or in today’s case Carson goes out the Offense becomes pedestrian at best. Elite qb’s can carry a team with no running game. Wilson looks lost out there when the running game goes stale. Missing receivers, taking sacks, throwing picks. I don’t care what his stats are. No way you can give this guy 25+ million.

Sorry, it's not your call!

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Or just maybe our head coach and OC don’t put him in position to make the plays necessary until there is no other choice.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
LOL. Guy plays with no running game last year, throws 34 TD passes, leads the team in rushing, and suddenly he's a "game manager who can't play without a running game"

He had a bad game. Like virtually every QB has had against great competition. The QB on the other side couldn't sniff the playoffs until the possibility of this year when he has talent loaded all around him. This is a really weak point with the sole intention of creating division on this board

evergreen

Reaction score
He’s had three three very pedestrian games this year. I know he looked good at the end. But taking those unnecessary sacks drives me crazy. Today he was bottom half of the league. It would sure be nice to hit wide open receivers on third down. I’m sure he still has good stats, but the eye test says he was stinking it up out there.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
evergreen":1lftu4qf said:
He’s had three three very pedestrian games this year. I know he looked good at the end. But taking those unnecessary sacks drives me crazy. Today he was bottom half of the league. It would sure be nice to hit wide open receivers on third down. I’m sure he still has good stats, but the eye test says he was stinking it up out there.

I guess Joey Hunt is no downgrade from DJ Fluker and Russ just took the sacks for the hell of it.

OP
OP
R

RCATES

Reaction score
Scorpion05":188ifybl said:
LOL. Guy plays with no running game last year, throws 34 TD passes, leads the team in rushing, and suddenly he's a "game manager who can't play without a running game"

He had a bad game. Like virtually every QB has had against great competition. The QB on the other side couldn't sniff the playoffs until the possibility of this year when he has talent loaded all around him. This is a really weak point with the sole intention of creating division on this board

Right because different views is frowned upon here. Makes us look real silly as a fan base. I like Wilson but he is what he is. He needs a running game to succeed. Without it our Offense is bottom 5 in the league.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The name calling and labeling will lead to time off.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
To be honest there were a lot of passing plays where no one was open. The game plan for the passing game was awful. That being said Wilson was off and had a bad game. It happens. Doesn’t mean you throw him away. Tough for any QB when you are facing 3rd and long a billion times. It was total offensive failure including the QB.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Wilson isn't top tier. He's good not great, sometimes he can dominate games, others he disappears and is a non-factor, and even more yet he is completely MIA until the end of the game. He isn't a QB that will ever bite you with 5 INT games, and he isn't that much of a gambler. He's perfect for running an offense predicated on ball control.

In essence Wilson lacks consistency, and over the last few seasons it seems like a coin flip as to which Wilson we're going to get. I would love to see what he could do with a strong offensive mind such as Andy Reid. I do not feel as if his potential has ever been fully tapped underneath Carroll, and I don't think it ever will be. There is still some potential left out on the table, and I am very curious to see what he is capable of.

Seymour

Reaction score
What a remarkable discovery, Wilson isn't elite for another week. :roll: :snack:

Scorpion05

Reaction score
RCATES":1lfu8om6 said:
Scorpion05":1lfu8om6 said:

Right because different views is frowned upon here. Makes us look real silly as a fan base. I like Wilson but he is what he is. He needs a running game to succeed. Without it our Offense is bottom 5 in the league.

Different views? Dude, to repeat a very popular quote, you're entitled to your opinion but not your own facts.

It looks terrible for people like you who ignore facts and reason just to stubbornly hold onto your opinion. By any objective measure Russell is NOT a game manager. He's proven it over his 7 year career. Your intentions aren't pure, your intentions are to be divisive and negative for the sake of doing so. Russell played like garbage today. I, as someone who tries to be fair minded can admit that. Fans like you have shown you have little interest in being fair minded, just petty. We can criticize Russ' play today without making absurd proclamations.

If you feel so strongly about your views, show facts as to why he's a game manager. My first post in this thread I posted Facts that directly contradict that opinion. Your turn.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":39ul90i5 said:
Wilson isn't top tier. He's good not great, sometimes he can dominate games, others he disappears and is a non-factor, and even more yet he is completely MIA until the end of the game. He isn't a QB that will ever bite you with 5 INT games, and he isn't that much of a gambler. He's perfect for running an offense predicated on ball control.

In essence Wilson lacks consistency, and over the last few seasons it seems like a coin flip as to which Wilson we're going to get. I would love to see what he could do with a strong offensive mind such as Andy Reid. I do not feel as if his potential has ever been fully tapped underneath Carroll, and I don't think it ever will be. There is still some potential left out on the table, and I am very curious to see what he is capable of.

Even if I disagree, fair point. I can see why some would consider him to be just "good" although I would argue from a macro perspective he has good and bad moments like most QBs. But plays well enough year to year to be considered top 5.

That said, this point isn't out of debate

nwHawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":201mcc50 said:
Or just maybe our head coach and OC don’t put him in position to make the plays necessary until there is no other choice.

I used to feel this way, but I think this is Russ's weakness. He likes the kaos, but the book is out on how to contain and attack him. He misses reads, and is overly safe. Even the out routes should be safe throws, but Russ doesn't put the ball in elite spots.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Today, Russell played like a Game Manager, NOT an elite QB.

CREDIT: GUS BRADLEY, LA CHARGERS DC.

Gus Bradley won this one. Wilson was not himself, probably because Gus Bradley knows Russell well enough that he knows how to confuse and perplex Russell.

Yes, an ELITE QB has seen this shite enough different times, that he adjusts more quickly than what Russell did. It's not just on Russell though, it's on Schotty for not figuring out Bradley's schemes sooner. Remember, Schotty doesn't really know Wilson that well; Bradley probably still knows him better.

It really comes down to a small handful of plays.

1) The Pick 6 was like a replay of the Chicago game pick 6, under nearly identical circumstances.
2) The off-target ball Russell threw on 3rd down where he flat missed the guy, I think it was Moore he was throwing to. Wide open, simply a bad throw.
3) Russell taking multiple, stupid, unnecessary, drive-killing sacks from holding the ball too long. The one that stands out is the 13 yard sack in the 4th quarter where Russell did his patented bail-out-the-back-of-the-pocket routine.
4) A bunch of other little plays here and there, especially 3rd down plays.

I think this game was an important part of the Schottenheimer + Wilson development process. Now Schotty has seen how a very crafty DC who knows Russell well will scheme against him. Guaranteed Wilson and Schotty will review this game film a lot, learn from it, and have a totally different, and much better, set of adjustments next time.

Also, let's give credit to Bradley and the Chargers D and secondary. They managed to make windows very tight for Russel all day, and to get a hand or finger on so many balls, including the potential game-tying TD throw to David Moore that looked like a drop.

One of Wilson's best moments was checking to a running play on 4th down where Davis picked up 8 yards and a first down. Is that not progress? Wilson being given the flexibility to audible, by Carroll and Schotty, and making a nice call and getting a good result.

Also, the loss of Fluker and Carson during the game was a huge factor. The two players who make the running game really go. Made things much harder for Russell.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Any wonder you are on my ignore list.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":10drzbn4 said:
RCATES":10drzbn4 said:

Sorry, it's not your call!

You're Sorry it's not his call?, LOL, Really??
The WHOLE OFFENSE played lousy today, I mean 'Lil Joey Hunt playing in D.J. Fluker's place? LOLOLOL.
The Chargers are HEALTHIER, their Coaches had them way better prepared and they put out a lot more effort...Wilson BY HIMSELF isn't going to wax that teams ass, just wasn't going to happen.
Hell, NO OTHER Quarterback in the entire world is going to put a team with injury issues "On His Back" and win, only morons actually would believe crap like that.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Wilson does not have to be Elite to be very, very good.

What he does need, is to get in a rhythm.

Running the ball and then expecting a cold QB under pressure to make throws on pivotal 3rd downs is going to be a recipe for disappointment.

I don't know if he is going to be worth 30M/yr but the reason we lost this game is more on the coaches than Wilson.

doctorsubie

Reaction score
I partly agree--Wilson isn't 1st tier, but there are very few who are. Brady, Rodgers, Brees come to mind.

Wilson is probably 2nd tier. I'd put Cam Newton, Patrick Mahomes, Matt Ryan in that category. Could the Hawks be more effective with someone like, Andrew Luck? Perhaps. But we'll never know, it's purely hypothetical.

I'm not ready to throw Wilson out with the bathwater just yet. I also think he's more injured than we know--his runs on his run-pass option looks really slow...

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RCATES":3v9p0mjt said:
Scorpion05":3v9p0mjt said:

No, You are entitled to your "different view" opinion, but good gawd man, just think about it for a minute, Ya think Rivers would have near the success he's enjoying IF his Running Game all the sudden went into the toilet? not only no, but HELL NO!