Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

The Home Mystique. Have we lost it?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
The Home Mystique. Have we lost it?
Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:24 pm
  • We've been a better road team than home team in recent years. We're 5-7 in our last 12 home games, 9-5 on the road. We've weirdly become a better road team.

In the past, no matter how great the opponent was, playing in Seattle was scary. But even when including the Texans game last year(which we miraculously won), it seems teams aren't afraid to play in Seattle anymore. What's changed? Is it the energy by players? Fans? Different philosophy from the coaching staff?

The crazy thing is, I'm more confident in a possible road victory against the Rams compared to say, our home game against the Vikings.
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Re: The Home Mystique. Have we lost it?
Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:38 pm
  • Losing the #1 DVOA defense for four years may something to do with it. Plus Wilson was better before than he is now.
    evergreen
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:07 pm
  • It’s a very odd thing. I can’t wrap my mind around it. This team has always been dominant at home regardless of if it was Hasselbeck throwing to Darrell Jackson and Holmgren on the sidelines or Russell throwing to Doug Baldwin with Pete Carroll on the sidelines. It’s more than stats. It’s just unexplainable. The 12s are still doing their part so what gives?

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:21 pm
  • Defense was almost always a guarantee and giving up over 20 points was basically unheard of, at home or on the road. Easy to be dominant when opposing QBs struggling to throw for 150 yards. Will take some time getting the new guys up to that level.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:34 pm
  • Yeah it's just not loud like it used to be. Now it's just like every other stadium.
    stang233
    NET Rookie

Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:40 pm
  • stang233 wrote:Yeah it's just not loud like it used to be. Now it's just like every other stadium.

That simply is not true. I am a season ticket holder and have been since 1997 and I have been around the NFL including the Super Dome in New Orleans and no other stadium even comes close. Now admittedly, I have never been to a game in Kansas City but otherwise, not even close.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:55 pm
  • Scorpion05 wrote:In the past, no matter how great the opponent was, playing in Seattle was scary. But even when including the Texans game last year(which we miraculously won), it seems teams aren't afraid to play in Seattle anymore. What's changed? Is it the energy by players?

The team just isnt as good anymore. Pretty simple to me.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:53 am
  • Aros wrote:
    stang233 wrote:Yeah it's just not loud like it used to be. Now it's just like every other stadium.

That simply is not true. I am a season ticket holder and have been since 1997 and I have been around the NFL including the Super Dome in New Orleans and no other stadium even comes close. Now admittedly, I have never been to a game in Kansas City but otherwise, not even close.

Not impressed yesteday , I've never seen that many fans sitting down and not making noise ... Its not as loud as it used to be for sure .
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:15 am
  • Its more on the team even though crowd noise does help obviously. Seattle is definitely home field advantage. The team isnt as good. Itll change when we get more experience imo.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:15 am
  • Pete's fault
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:26 am
  • Yes i have been saying it for a while. The day u guys let Kansas city hold on to the record for loudest stadium noise is the day the mystique left.
    bighawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:49 am
  • Ambrose83 wrote:
    Aros wrote:
    stang233 wrote:Yeah it's just not loud like it used to be. Now it's just like every other stadium.

Not impressed yesteday , I've never seen that many fans sitting down and not making noise ... Its not as loud as it used to be for sure .

And how many games do you go to a year? Where do you sit? Did you stand and yell all game?

If you aren't a STH and aren't there for most games you really have no clue.

There's always games where the noise and crowd enthusiasm varies. When the offence puts on a crap show, it's always more subdued. When he offence is hitting its stride and the defense is getting turnovers the crowd really gets into it. Always been that way. And the fans can sense the necessity of the match. Playoffs and division games get more people out of their seat.

And different sections behave differently. Lower bowl guys tend to stand more than upper bowl fans. Club seat fans sit more than non-club seaters. Always been that way.

And honestly as long as the crowd is energetic enough to cause the opposition to go to silent counts and hand signals, there's not much more you can do.

I think the problem is that the teams coming in are far more prepared for the volume, have their hand signals down and have to really focus. They are less flustered than the old days. Everyone knows its coming. Now all we seem to be doing is disrupting our defensive communication. IT's sad to see that HFA go downhill so much the last couple years. But it's frustrating as a fan that yells and stands on D every time the D is on the field. After a while you wonder if you are doing any good any more.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:01 am
  • Crowd noise helps on defense. Yesterday, your defense allowed 7.3 ypc. The run defense needs to be stout to allow 3rd and longs and let the crowd noise help
    94Smith
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:31 am
  • We played a really good team and we were right there in the end to tie it up

All you can ask for

The difference is the miracles from past year didn't show up one more time simply because we aren't as good yet. This team is building towards better not on the decline
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:35 am
  • The stadium is still really loud (compared to most stadiums) but I often see people standing and cheering when the Hawks are on offense, or just sitting on their tails on crucial plays on defense which seems puzzling to me. Scrolling through Twitter after the game on my way home yesterday I came across this gem.

Im seeing more and more of these types of fans at the game.

"Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:37 am
  • Aros wrote:It’s a very odd thing. I can’t wrap my mind around it. This team has always been dominant at home regardless of if it was Hasselbeck throwing to Darrell Jackson and Holmgren on the sidelines or Russell throwing to Doug Baldwin with Pete Carroll on the sidelines. It’s more than stats. It’s just unexplainable. The 12s are still doing their part so what gives?

What gives is NFL coaches and coordinators now have helmet mics to talk to their QB and complicated versatile hand signals implemented to deal with crowd noise.

So the days of leading the league in false starts for the opposition teams and creating that HFA are pretty much over.

Doesn't mean the CLINK isn't still a great HFA, it certainly is, but IMO it was never a "mystique".............it was just a REALLY good advantage to have over our opponent's offense being able to disrupt playcalling and how their offense operated wih 64k people screaming for the entire game.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:46 am
  • The fans and the field have lost nothing. Pete and his Seahawks however clearly have.

All good things must come to an end. The only question is for how long and who brings it back?
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:55 am
  • Seymour wrote:The fans and the field have lost nothing. Pete and his Seahawks however clearly have.

All good things must come to an end. The only question is for how long and who brings it back?

Are you really that down on what Pete's doing?

I think we're on the right track, we just don't have the depth or talent level right now to overcome mistakes and our best players going down against good teams.

I still have faith that we're going in the right direction, just might take another year or two to restock the roster with quality starters and depth. That's what I saw yesterday.........if you want to beat a good team like the Chargers at home, Russell had to be as good or better than Rivers (he wasn't), and we couldn't have our best players going down (Carson/McDougald/Fluker).

Also something no one's said yet that I've seen, but Wagner had a terrible game. He's suppose to be the lightning rod out there on defense making plays all over the field, and he looked slow and even injured. Just can't have that against an elite back and QB like Rivers who will pick you apart if you're zone players aren't quickly filling gaps and zones.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:56 am
  • The crowd noise used to be unique to Seattle and it isn't anymore. All teams now prepare for loud stadiums so really we can scream all we want I don't believe it makes any difference anymore. It used to. Probably a hard truth for many but if you take emotion out of it am I wrong?

Without that advantage, the better team wins regardless and yesterday the better team won.
    * NET Staff *

Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:04 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:The fans and the field have lost nothing. Pete and his Seahawks however clearly have.

I think we're on the right track, we just don't have the depth or talent level right now to overcome mistakes and our best players going down against good teams.

I still have faith that we're going in the right direction, just might take another year or two to restock the roster with quality starters and depth. That's what I saw yesterday.........if you want to beat a good team like the Chargers at home, Russell had to be as good or better than Rivers (he wasn't), and we couldn't have our best players going down (Carson/McDougald/Fluker).

Also something no one's said yet that I've seen, but Wagner had a terrible game. He's suppose to be the lightning rod out there on defense making plays all over the field, and he looked slow and even injured. Just can't have that against an elite back and QB like Rivers who will pick you apart if you're zone players aren't quickly filling gaps and zones.

I'm answering the question. Have we lost our HFA?

Like it or not, the answer is clearly yes. And it's not the fans. What does that leave?

Yes, we are on track. Again, I'm answering the question.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:24 am
  • Look guys, the Seahawks became consistently good in the early part of this decade. Seattle is a very trendy city with a lot of money. Seahawk games are no longer overwhelming populated with rabid, diehard football fans as they once were. Today, and in recent years the seats are flooded with folks who are doing the cool "thing" to do on a Sunday around here. This is a social event for many. This is a thing to take a selfie at and show all your "followers" the cool thing you were doing on Sunday. Seattle grew a reputation for the 12th Man and lots of trendy people in this area want to be a part of it. Take a look around you next game and note all the people gabbing to each other during critical parts of the game, or with their faces locked into their device and paying little attention to what's happening on the field. This is particularly true in the club sections.

Couple that with a team that simply is not that good. Yeah, tough to win at home in a highly competitive league.
    OpHawk
    NET Starter

Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:29 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:The fans and the field have lost nothing. Pete and his Seahawks however clearly have.

Like it or not, the answer is clearly yes. And it's not the fans. What does that leave?

I don't think we've lost it, we clearly still play better at home than we do on the road, especially the defense that still gets an edge with the pass rush.

It's just not as pronounced as it used be because of the things I mentioned about (QB helmet mic/hand signals and other ways to combat crowd noise).

I was just disputing the word "mystique." I don't think it was ever an mystique, just a VERY REAL tangible advantage due to the stadium and crowd noise...........that's unfortunately mostly gone.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:08 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

I don't think we've lost it, we clearly still play better at home than we do on the road, especially the defense that still gets an edge with the pass rush.

It's just not as pronounced as it used be because of the things I mentioned about (QB helmet mic/hand signals and other ways to combat crowd noise).

I was just disputing the word "mystique." I don't think it was ever an mystique, just a VERY REAL tangible advantage due to the stadium and crowd noise...........that's unfortunately mostly gone.

Sorry but that is just plain an ignorant post!!

Scorpion05 wrote:We've been a better road team than home team in recent years. We're 5-7 in our last 12 home games, 9-5 on the road. We've weirdly become a better road team.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:22 am
  • OpHawk wrote:. Take a look around you next game and note all the people gabbing to each other during critical parts of the game, or with their faces locked into their device and paying little attention to what's happening on the field. This is particularly true in the club sections.

Couple that with a team that simply is not that good. Yeah, tough to win at home in a highly competitive league.

Club sections have never stood and yelled. Noise has always come from the cheap seats and the lunch bucket crews that populate them. Has been that way forever.

What drives me crazy is the the folks that start Sea... Hawks! chants when we are driving on offense. That has certainly got worse since the Holmgren era.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:37 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    Scorpion05 wrote:We've been a better road team than home team in recent years. We're 5-7 in our last 12 home games, 9-5 on the road. We've weirdly become a better road team.

Your sample size is a little small don't you think?

Since the SB loss to the Patriots we're 15-12 on the road and 17-10 at home. (not counting Arizona tie or win in London).

So yeah, I'll rescind my "clearly" part of better at home, but our record is still better over the past 3 1/2 years at home. Certainly not the dominating 7-1 or 8-0 home record dominance of old, but also not just flat out terrible.

Why? It's pretty clear isn't it? We're just not a very good team anymore, and not very good teams lose as much as they win at home.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:43 am
  • Sample size is too small for you?? What the??? :roll:

12 games is a year and a half+ of football for crying out loud and we are FAR better on the road!

Lost cause. Doesn't matter what you say here. We have clearly lost the strong HFA we once had. Accept it or deny it, I don't care.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:46 am
  • The fans and the stadium are fine... what has changed is that the Hawks just aren't that gr8 anymore ; and many won't accept that fact...maybe in the next year or two they make a comeback or they won't. That's professional sports kids .IMO
    xray
    NET Starter

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:57 am
  • xray wrote:The fans and the stadium are fine... what has changed is that the Hawks just aren't that gr8 anymore ; and many won't accept that fact...maybe in the next year or two they make a comeback or they won't. That's professional sports kids .IMO

It goes well beyond that though. This thread is weird that people don't see what is being stated here.

Lets try this. Over the last year and a half at home we have a .416 winning %.... and on the road we are .642 winning %

That is not just a poor team. That is PLAYING FAR WORSE at home!!
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:00 pm
  • That...LOL
    xray
    NET Starter

Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:09 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    xray wrote:The fans and the stadium are fine... what has changed is that the Hawks just aren't that gr8 anymore ; and many won't accept that fact...maybe in the next year or two they make a comeback or they won't. That's professional sports kids .IMO

It goes well beyond that though. This thread is weird that people don't see what is being stated here.

Lets try this. Over the last year and a half at home we have a .416 winning %.... and on the road we are .642 winning %

That is not just a poor team. That is PLAYING FAR WORSE at home!!

Thank You.

Also, I can’t believe some of the simple “We’re not good” answers. Were we that good when we were 7-9 and the Saints came into our house? NFL fans have short term memories these days

In the past, even if we were SUPER average as a team, coming into our house was terrifying. Scary. Tough to play. Teams dreaded coming to our stadium. What has happened to that edge? Teams would make uncharacteristic mistakes here. And when they did, it would become an avalanche. They would stumble and bumble their way out of the stadium, happy to move on to the next game. I don’t think that’s an exaggeration
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:06 pm
  • Seymour wrote:Sample size is too small for you?? What the??? :roll:

12 games is a year and a half+ of football for crying out loud and we are FAR better on the road!

Lost cause. Doesn't matter what you say here. We have clearly lost the strong HFA we once had. Accept it or deny it, I don't care.

I accept it because we're not a dominant team anymore.......but sorry, I'm not accepting that there is some mythical "mystique" that's vanished.

I'm pragmatic, we're losing games at home because;

- QB's now have mics in the helmet
    - teams now use hand signals and other ways to combat crowd noise
    - we're just not very good over the past couple of seasons
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:13 pm
  • We didn't have to be good to have noise before, but one thing we do need is a electrifying play to get people excited, big hit, big run take away, great catch etc. Looking uninspired or flat doesn't help that cause, refs taking the game away from player control is worse.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:17 pm
  • The D back in the day was the #1 reason we had such a home field advantage.

This season our D is surprisingly good but not the terrifying monster it was back then.
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:32 pm
  • Scorpion05 wrote:Thank You.

Also, I can’t believe some of the simple “We’re not good” answers. Were we that good when we were 7-9 and the Saints came into our house? NFL fans have short term memories these days

In the past, even if we were SUPER average as a team, coming into our house was terrifying. Scary. Tough to play. Teams dreaded coming to our stadium. What has happened to that edge? Teams would make uncharacteristic mistakes here. And when they did, it would become an avalanche. They would stumble and bumble their way out of the stadium, happy to move on to the next game. I don’t think that’s an exaggeration

So whats the answer? Other teams arent making mistakes anymore? That couldnt be due to the teams regression could it? Teams come in and punch us in the mouth because they are better. That never used to happen.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:29 pm
  • Doesn't mystique mean mystery or mystical ?
    xray
    NET Starter

Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:34 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    Scorpion05 wrote:Thank You.

So whats the answer? Other teams arent making mistakes anymore? That couldnt be due to the teams regression could it? Teams come in and punch us in the mouth because they are better. That never used to happen.

Then why do we win at a far better rate when we are away from home over that time period?

You haven't answered anything with that statement.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:34 am
  • Looks like there is another person that believes the crowd wasn't as loud as it used to be … this is what Rivers had to say:

"It wasn’t as loud as I’ve experienced here consistently. There were spurts, but it wasn’t as consistently as loud as it has been. I had everybody prepped for it be crazy and the guys that had their first time here were like, ‘you hyped it a little too much.”

I think this is pretty telling because Rivers was EXPECTING it to be loud and it didn't live up to his expectations. I'm not sure if he was comparing it to exhibition games too but most likely he was because the last times he played in Seattle for regular season games was 2010 and 2006.

Z.
    zetes
    NET Rookie

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:06 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

Then why do we win at a far better rate when we are away from home over that time period?

Yeah, i'm not sure. Guess theres no reason for it. We must have gotten lucky before. Pure coincidence.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:11 pm
  • Stats in a vacuum. Got to love it.

Are we considering quality of competition? No. Injury status of key personnel? No. Staff and personnel changes during that time? No. Any context whatsoever? No.

Statistics out of context are completely meaningless.

This year with the corrections we have made in staff and the additions/subtractions of players, we have lost twice at home. Once to the Rams, who are tipped to be the NFC Super Bowl representative and have only lost to New Orleans on the road, and once to the Chargers, who are in the AFC contenders conversation and have been a bugbear team for the Seahawks for ages. We had a chance to win both games.

It also may be worth noting that *we have only played 3 homes games this year*. Our schedule has additional very tough home games this year, slightly mitigated by the fact that some are in prime time, but otherwise really challenging teams. The Packers have a decent QB, the Vikings have a strong defense led by an aggressive front, and the Chiefs are tipped to be the ACF Super Bowl representative.

So it's entirely possible that we may lose more at home this year. But keep it in perspective - those are tough teams to play anywhere, while we're half a season into a new rebuild/reload/refurbishment with new OC and DC.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:13 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

Yeah, i'm not sure. Guess theres no reason for it. We must have gotten lucky before. Pure coincidence.

Well I don't have the answer either, but something is different right now. My best guess? An old saying says "there is comfort in the familiar". Maybe we are getting too comfortable at home "knowing we have that 12th man" to pull us through?
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:54 pm
  • It is beyond bizarre to have folks in here being all like "The fans aren't as loud thus we don't have home field advantage like we used to" when there was a nearly blinding stimulus to generate that noise, namely dominant defensive football.

For two years the defense hasn't been those guys so asking fans over 16 games to give it their all with their vocal chords and have it not matter much (even perceptively to fans themselves)...why would expect fans to do their rain making dance as the drought continues.

Oh sure, the fan demographics have changed and there's just a bunch of peacoat clad lads who are reading Proust during the game...but cmon, fans, not just Hawks fans, bring it when there is constant validation of their collective fan efforts. That we brought it just that much more when we had an exciting and dominant defense on the field is really cool but to expect that level of unrewarded fervor to continue...cmon.

Unwavering enthusiasm is a great ideal to strive for but it's like the gottdang Seahawks running game - When it doesn't work what else do you have? Not much?
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:04 pm
  • Other then Wilson who not on this board knows any of the players ? Lynch, Sherman and Kam made reputations and were in the media a lot. Right now were almost faceless other then Wilson for star power and draw.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:11 pm
  • mrt144 wrote:It is beyond bizarre to have folks in here being all like "The fans aren't as loud thus we don't have home field advantage like we used to" when there was a nearly blinding stimulus to generate that noise, namely dominant defensive football.

For two years the defense hasn't been those guys so asking fans over 16 games to give it their all with their vocal chords and have it not matter much (even perceptively to fans themselves)...why would expect fans to do their rain making dance as the drought continues.

Oh sure, the fan demographics have changed and there's just a bunch of peacoat clad lads who are reading Proust during the game...but cmon, fans, not just Hawks fans, bring it when there is constant validation of their collective fan efforts. That we brought it just that much more when we had an exciting and dominant defense on the field is really cool but to expect that level of unrewarded fervor to continue...cmon.

Unwavering enthusiasm is a great ideal to strive for but it's like the gottdang Seahawks running game - When it doesn't work what else do you have? Not much?

The stadium was loud even before we had a great defense or team. Seriously, we never used to care what our record was or how good the team was because we felt as a fanbase it was our duty to scream our way to 6-8 wins at home every season.

I'm not saying the stadium isn't loud anymore, but it's definitely not what it was from 2003-2014. This is a fan base that set a world record screaming 137.6 decibels in 2013, against the Chargers last week we were struggling to put up 115.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:12 pm
  • knownone wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:It is beyond bizarre to have folks in here being all like "The fans aren't as loud thus we don't have home field advantage like we used to" when there was a nearly blinding stimulus to generate that noise, namely dominant defensive football.

The stadium was loud even before we had a great defense or team. Seriously, we never used to care what our record was or how good the team was because we felt as a fanbase it was our duty to scream our way to 6-8 wins at home every season.

I'm not saying the stadium isn't loud anymore, but it's definitely not what it was from 2003-2014. This is a fan base that set a world record screaming 137.6 decibels in 2013, against the Chargers last week we were struggling to put up 115.

I am very doubtful that the Mora year was that loud.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:39 pm
  • Can you remember The BeastQuake Run? We fans moved the earth!!! I doubt that the stadium has been that loud this year. There was no doubt that no team in the NFL wanted to play in Seattle that year.
    Yes....I see more "seat warmers" every year.....kinda sad, isn't it?
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:46 pm
  • mrt144 wrote:
    knownone wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:It is beyond bizarre to have folks in here being all like "The fans aren't as loud thus we don't have home field advantage like we used to" when there was a nearly blinding stimulus to generate that noise, namely dominant defensive football.

I am very doubtful that the Mora year was that loud.

You'd actually be surprised. A lot of us felt like Holmgren's last year was an injury-plagued fluke of a season and that the team still had the pieces to be a playoff team. I think we blew out the 49ers or Rams in the first game of the season and it was as loud as ever. If I remember correctly that was the year with the neon green jerseys where our fullback busted open his head against his helmet in pregame against the Jags? We blew them out as well and that game was as wild as I can remember any game being... Seriously, I remember walking out of the tunnels thinking that our 3-4 (or whatever) Seahawks had finally turned the corner lol.

Ultimately, Mora's season turned sour and I'm sure the fervor died down a little bit as the blowouts continued to mount. But, that was a bad team that still won 5 games and 4 of those 5 games were at home.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:11 pm
  • With all due respect, did some of you only start watching the Seahawks in 2012? Even from a distance?

So much illogical analysis in here. "We're not as good as we used to be!" Well duh. "What about quality of competition??" Well duh again. That's not what's being debated here

Even in our 2010 7-9 season, the Seahawks had a 5-3 record at home, "Qwest Field" as it was called back then. We had some bad losses in the 3 we dropped, but it was still immensely difficult to play here.

Do I have an answer for why our home-field advantage has dropped? No. Demographic changes maybe? Fans who are loud but not rabid, more blue collar, and passionate? Again I don't know, but SOMETHING has changed. Stop talking about the talent on our team when coming to Seattle for over a decade was considered to be a dreadful road game by MOST teams. The noise was unbearable. It's still loud, the energy is still good enough. But it's no longer at an amazing level.
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:12 pm
  • Scorpion05 wrote:With all due respect, did some of you only start watching the Seahawks in 2012? Even from a distance?

So much illogical analysis in here. "We're not as good as we used to be!" Well duh. "What about quality of competition??" Well duh again. That's not what's being debated here

Even in our 2010 7-9 season, the Seahawks had a 5-3 record at home, "Qwest Field" as it was called back then. We had some bad losses in the 3 we dropped, but it was still immensely difficult to play here.

Do I have an answer for why our home-field advantage has dropped? No. Demographic changes maybe? Fans who are loud but not rabid, more blue collar, and passionate? Again I don't know, but SOMETHING has changed. Stop talking about the talent on our team when coming to Seattle for over a decade was considered to be a dreadful road game by MOST teams. The noise was unbearable. It's still loud, the energy is still good enough. But it's no longer at an amazing level.

Maybe Hawks fans have a longer refractory period? ;)
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:16 pm
  • Absolutely. I've been a season ticket holder since 2009. The crowd really started making a noticeable difference around 2010-2011. I sell about a third of my tickets every year because I simply can't go to every game and this past two years has been brutal. The last 6 games I've personally been to the team is 1-5. 5 in a row going currently. Absolutely brutal what has happened to this teams Home field advantage.
    RCATES
    NET Starter

Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:32 pm
  • Now that I think about this more, this seems to lay bare the conceit of Hawks fans thinking they were a huge reason for the home record.

mrt144
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:27 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information