Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

The Home Mystique. Have we lost it?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: The Home Mystique. Have we lost it?
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:38 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    So whats the answer? Other teams arent making mistakes anymore? That couldnt be due to the teams regression could it? Teams come in and punch us in the mouth because they are better. That never used to happen.

Then why do we win at a far better rate when we are away from home over that time period?

You haven't answered anything with that statement.

Yeah, i'm not sure. Guess theres no reason for it. We must have gotten lucky before. Pure coincidence.

Well I don't have the answer either, but something is different right now. My best guess? An old saying says "there is comfort in the familiar". Maybe we are getting too comfortable at home "knowing we have that 12th man" to pull us through?

I use too much A.B.C logic at times. I took the route that the team has been regressing the past 4 or so years and losing all pro talent at every turn thus adding to the reason of us becoming worse. Of course there are many other factors I didn't look at. Agreeing with you, not sure exactly what it is, but there is something.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:59 pm
  • Scorpion05 wrote:We've been a better road team than home team in recent years. We're 5-7 in our last 12 home games, 9-5 on the road. We've weirdly become a better road team.

In the past, no matter how great the opponent was, playing in Seattle was scary. But even when including the Texans game last year(which we miraculously won), it seems teams aren't afraid to play in Seattle anymore. What's changed? Is it the energy by players? Fans? Different philosophy from the coaching staff?

The crazy thing is, I'm more confident in a possible road victory against the Rams compared to say, our home game against the Vikings.

Visiting teams have changed and adjusted their preparations. Teams are better focused and geared up to deal with the 12th man. Phillip Rivers spoke to their special attention in preparing for a game at Century Link in his post game comments. IIRC, other visiting competitors have also noted special preparations in recent matchups. They are having success with their heighten focus. We are how enjoying sharper focus and execution from visiting teams than what we once saw ...... and what is typically seen at other venues.

Go Hawks!
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:20 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    stang233 wrote:Yeah it's just not loud like it used to be. Now it's just like every other stadium.

That simply is not true. I am a season ticket holder and have been since 1997 and I have been around the NFL including the Super Dome in New Orleans and no other stadium even comes close. Now admittedly, I have never been to a game in Kansas City but otherwise, not even close.

^^^^Agreed, don't know where the poster gets that info.
    There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

- Darius Rucker
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:36 pm
  • We don't need to guess if the crowd noise is down or not. Anyone with a smartphone can download a sound meter app and check each game. I have dbMeter for Iphone I used to check sound deadening I did on my car and it works awesome.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:43 pm
  • Mad Dog wrote:
    OpHawk wrote:. Take a look around you next game and note all the people gabbing to each other during critical parts of the game, or with their faces locked into their device and paying little attention to what's happening on the field. This is particularly true in the club sections.

Couple that with a team that simply is not that good. Yeah, tough to win at home in a highly competitive league.

Club sections have never stood and yelled. Noise has always come from the cheap seats and the lunch bucket crews that populate them. Has been that way forever.

What drives me crazy is the the folks that start Sea... Hawks! chants when we are driving on offense. That has certainly got worse since the Holmgren era.

I reside in Charter 133. We are always on our feet and vocal. You have to stand because everyone in front of you stands and I am in row 22.
    12's have been known for their volume since the 70's in the Kingdome.
    We still rock the joint. Teams ebb and flow. We remain.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:06 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    Scorpion05 wrote:In the past, no matter how great the opponent was, playing in Seattle was scary. But even when including the Texans game last year(which we miraculously won), it seems teams aren't afraid to play in Seattle anymore. What's changed? Is it the energy by players?

The team just isnt as good anymore. Pretty simple to me.

Yeah, but in past when the team still wasn't that good the Hawks would win 6 or 7 at home and lose 5-6 on the road.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:16 pm
  • I have been to many games over the years, first attended when I was a kid at the kingdome. The difference in noise isn't all about volume to me. At times the stadium is still just as loud as it used to be. The difference between now and several years ago is sustained noise. I still believe the loudest game ever was our first NFC Championship against the Panthers, we blew them off the field during warmups. The fans were at full volume the entire time the defense was on the field, they can't communicate to get to the huddle, to call a play, snap count, anything. Today, it is pretty quiet until they break the huddle and approach the line of scrimmage, gets very loud when they are trying to get the play off, then it's quiet again once the ball is snapped up until they line up to run the next play. Not sure exactly how much that really matters, but that's the biggest thing I have noticed having been to the games from all era's. Also Blitz doesn't hold a candle to Bill the Beer Man.
    12 LOUD AND PROUD 12
    SEAHAWKBLITZ
    NET Practice Squad

Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:16 am
  • It was plenty loud on Sunday.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:33 am
  • SEAHAWKBLITZ wrote:I have been to many games over the years, first attended when I was a kid at the kingdome. The difference in noise isn't all about volume to me. At times the stadium is still just as loud as it used to be. The difference between now and several years ago is sustained noise. I still believe the loudest game ever was our first NFC Championship against the Panthers, we blew them off the field during warmups. The fans were at full volume the entire time the defense was on the field, they can't communicate to get to the huddle, to call a play, snap count, anything. Today, it is pretty quiet until they break the huddle and approach the line of scrimmage, gets very loud when they are trying to get the play off, then it's quiet again once the ball is snapped up until they line up to run the next play. Not sure exactly how much that really matters, but that's the biggest thing I have noticed having been to the games from all era's. Also Blitz doesn't hold a candle to Bill the Beer Man.

That's been the case forever. Big games you'll see that the noise is earlier and more sustained. Comparing a non-conference mid season Sunday afternoon game to an NFC Championship game is apples to oranges.

Especially when the team isn't playing well. Fans get discouraged and if the team does nothing to get the team excited for most of the game, that noise will suffer accordingly. But this is nothing new. I remember a game against TB in 2013 where the fan noise really dropped before the furious comeback in the second half. We looked terrible and the fans got discouraged and its hard to summon all your internal venom when it seems to be only hurting your team.

Anyway, I don't think home volume has anything to do with the team losing at home. Crappy offence has been the issue every time. Penalties, untimely sacks, way too many 3rd and longs has killed the team at home the last 2 years. That needs to change. Execute on offence and the noise will follow. Put on a crap show for 3 quarters, you won't get the same level of noise.
    Mad Dog
    NET Starter

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:01 am
  • I think you guys are deep diving way too far into this question.

IMO it's as simple as technology and teams just being better and smarter at combatting crowd noise. Between the QB's helmet mic talking directly to his coach and coordinator, teams have perfected hand signals and silent counts where the guards and tackles no longer need to hear the QB.

Now the guard taps the center telling him to hike the ball, now the QB has silent alerts and hand signals to tell his WR's that he's changing the play.................good teams do all these things seamlessly, as we saw Rivers do on Sunday.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:17 am
  • Will Arizona finally drop a game at Century Link?
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:16 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information