Let me ask some questions

onepicknick1

Reaction score
Why do we not have a QB sneak to get 1yd why do we not have a 20yd pass play on 3rd and long. If we have 3rd and let's say 15 or better it'll be a screen or a short yd pass. I agree the game was on Russ but I'm not ready to throw him under the bus. What was you expectations for the season. If we go 8-8 I think this season was a success if we go higher then that then the plan is working.

mrt144

Reaction score
onepicknick1":39ck7qvr said:
Why do we not have a QB sneak to get 1yd why do we not have a 20yd pass play on 3rd and long. If we have 3rd and let's say 15 or better it'll be a screen or a short yd pass. I agree the game was on Russ but I'm not ready to throw him under the bus. What was you expectations for the season. If we go 8-8 I think this season was a success if we go higher then that then the plan is working.

FWIW, the league as a whole seems to have forgotten the absolute utility of the 1 yard sneak.

Seymour

Reaction score
Good questions and I often wonder both myself. I watch Brady get 1 yard on a regular basis, and Pete never will attempt this for some Pete reason? Giving up on 3rd downs and watching other teams pull off 3rd and long on us gets quite old too.
This is all part of Pete ball offense the way I see it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":zbqf4jd6 said:
Good questions and I often wonder both myself. I watch Brady get 1 yard on a regular basis, and Pete never will attempt this for some Pete reason? Giving up on 3rd downs and watching other teams pull off 3rd and long on us gets quite old too.

Brady's 6'2 and weighs 225.

It's not a coincidence that the teams that are successful at QB sneaks (Steelers, Patriots, Chargers) have big bodies QB's that can help push the pile if needed.

Seems like every time Russell's tried the QB sneak, he get's bitch slapped back.

I agree that I'd like to see it more, especially now that we have 320+ linemen to push the pile, but in general we haven't been successful at QB sneaks with Russell.

xray

Reaction score
when they have Russell Wilson the G.O.A.T. why not...GO HAWKS!!!

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3deydbgg said:
Seymour":3deydbgg said:

It's not a coincidence that the teams that are successful at QB sneaks (Steelers, Patriots, Chargers) have big bodies QB's that can help push the pile if needed.

Seems like every time Russell's tried the QB sneak, he get's bitch slapped back.

I agree that I'd like to see it more, especially now that we have 320+ linemen to push the pile, but in general we haven't been successful at QB sneaks with Russell.

uhhh I was thinking about this and to me it's a lot of times about getting small and looking for a small seam to push the ball through. Would this not be to Russ' benefit??

xray

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3fns9nzt said:
Seymour":3fns9nzt said:

Tom Brady is 6' 4" 225...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":20uhyzqz said:
Sgt. Largent":20uhyzqz said:
Seymour":20uhyzqz said:

uhhh I was thinking about this and to me it's a lot of times about getting small and looking for a small seam to push the ball through. Would this not be to Russ' benefit??

Sure if the line gets the push so Russ can sneak through a seam.........which again our line now is big and physical enough for it to work now. Before our terrible line got blown off the ball 90% of the time, so that doesn't work.

I'm down for sneaks, but IMO they're no more successful than just running power run plays with a back like Carson that can push the pile forward a yard or two.

Brady's good at it cause they practice getting to the line quickly and catching the defense.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
What I wonder about is why don't the RBs go up and over the pile like they used to? Some guys were so good at leaping over the pile. For some reason the league as a whole has gone away from it.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ypgke9z said:
Seymour":2ypgke9z said:

You are right...everytime. Russell Wilson is 0-1 in QB sneaks. He has only tried once in 7 years (that I can find) :roll:

It is not another "too short" answer time either. Drew Brees is #3 all time with 62 and 88% success rate!!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21158057/the-dying-art-qb-sneak

Jville

Reaction score
The CBA severely restricts practice time and activity compared to years past. So teams have to pick and chose what they want to become really proficient at executing. I don't ever recall Russell looking proficient with quarterback sneaks. A delayed draw or scramble ..... maybe. A quarterback sneak ..... no.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well Wilson has been in the shotgun more then he has under center in his career also, one of those tip your hand type indicators under Bevell.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":3bseq1p2 said:
Well Wilson has been in the shotgun more then he has under center in his career also, one of those tip your hand type indicators under Bevell.

Good point.........Wilson going under center would be a tip off that there's a sneak.

Don't we have a good conversion rate this year with 3rd and short? Seems like a silly thing to complain about if we're converting those 3rd and 1's.

mikeak

Reaction score
1) Every time I see Brady do the sneak I know it is coming. Like everybody knows it is coming - so tipping the hand not so worried about that

2) Shouldn't we have a play that is not run up the middle for 2nd and 20+ before we look for the 3rd and 20+ play?

That was the second time this year we ran on 2nd and 20+ down in the game...….. absolutely pissed me off

Seymour

Reaction score
mikeak":gw34ag1s said:
1) Every time I see Brady do the sneak I know it is coming. Like everybody knows it is coming - so tipping the hand not so worried about that

2) Shouldn't we have a play that is not run up the middle for 2nd and 20+ before we look for the 3rd and 20+ play?

That was the second time this year we ran on 2nd and 20+ down in the game...….. absolutely pissed me off

Exactly! Tipping doesn't matter, his interior line makes this happen for him. He is 91 flippin' % success rate when everyone on the planet knows what they are about to run.

91%!!!

Sac

Reaction score
mrt144":2ls27g5k said:
onepicknick1":2ls27g5k said:

FWIW, the league as a whole seems to have forgotten the absolute utility of the 1 yard sneak.

*Cough* Tom Brady *cough*

Seymour

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":497ktq95 said:
Here's an article from last season. Seems Seattle had a 75% success rate, but that was before Solari. I still would like to see more of it.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2115 ... t-qb-sneak

That is the same article I just posted and it goes back to 2001. That 75% was all pre Pete Carroll. Pete doesn't believe in the QB sneak. Wilson has a grand total of 1 that I can find.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sac":175orx6m said:
mrt144":175orx6m said:
onepicknick1":175orx6m said:

*Cough* Tom Brady *cough*

Which makes it all the more baffling that the only thing Matt Patricia seems to have learned from BB is how to be a sour butthead.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":w7l1q1j0 said:
pittpnthrs":w7l1q1j0 said:
Here's an article from last season. Seems Seattle had a 75% success rate, but that was before Solari. I still would like to see more of it.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2115 ... t-qb-sneak

That is the same article I just posted and it goes back to 2001. That 75% was all pre Pete Carroll. Pete doesn't believe in the QB sneak. Wilson has a grand total of 1 that I can find.

Does Russell even take a snap under center? What's his pistol/shotgun percentage? If it's not 100% of the time, it's close.

Why would you want to see a play called that 100% of the time is tipping off the defense as to a QB sneak because Russell's under center and not in the shotgun or pistol?

Again, seems like a silly thing to complain about, considering we're not pretty damn successful this year on 3rd and short with how well our O-line is playing and our RB's are running.