Jordan Simmons making first NFL start today

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1061717760281989120[/tweet]

Pocic and Fant will be the backups. Hunt is inactive.

This is kind of a big surprise. We’ll see how Simmons does against one of NFL’s most talented defensive lines.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3rp6x905 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1061717760281989120[/tweet]

Pocic and Fant will be the backups. Hunt is inactive.

This is kind of a big surprise. We’ll see how Simmons does against one of NFL’s most talented defensive lines.

Here's wishing good luck to him today. He's going to need it.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I like it. Pocic is to light in the pants for the interior - especially RG.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Simmons is not looking bad either.

Disappointing that Pocic a high draft pick is being outplayed by Simmons. Perhaps Pocic was never that able to play much else than OC and even there would be 3rd on the DC.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Simmons was part of a line that generated 273 yards on the ground, he didn't get a flag, and he wasn't highlighted by the commentators for mistakes.

As first starts go, that's pretty good.

seabowl

Reaction score
Held his own today where Ifefi just well... Held

Fade

Reaction score
Pocic is a Center, and an okay Guard. He is kind of like Britt. He has trouble anchoring against the bull rush, and can get stood up taking on blockers 1-on-1.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Yup. Simmons looked very solid in there yesterday.

And, he definitely meets Solari’s requirements for a big, physical OG as he’s listed at 6-4, 339ibs.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He did a solid job for sure. Running game was ridiculous, yet again. Love how they just pound the rock, and the other team knows it's coming and still can't stop it.

Seymour

Reaction score
Another OL poor fit draft pick.....shocking. :roll: Other teams castaways are still better than our best efforts at drafting the oline group.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Simmons played well for the most part, so it's hard to question the decision to start him instead of Pocic. His run blocking looked pretty good, and he was anchoring well in pass pro. He did allow a costly sack on 3rd down in the red zone. But considering the strength of the opposition and the fact that it was his first NFL start, I thought Simmons held up well.

Pocic was also playing well before his injury; he had the highest run blocking grade on the team during that span. Starting Pocic probably would have meant moving Sweezy back to RG, so Pocic could play LG again. That's a change in continuity that would not have been desirable. And then Hunt would have been needed as the backup center, which would have made them vulnerable to injury at the guard position (where Hunt has struggled as a backup). Pocic can play all five positions, which gives him huge value as a backup. It's also likely that he is still hindered somewhat by his injury.

If they needed Pocic to play mid-game due to an injury, I feel pretty confident that he would play well.

chris98251

Reaction score
Didn't hear his name all day means he was doing great as a O lineman.

daveyoung52

Reaction score
Chawker":287i75vz said:
I think he did a magnificent job for his first NFL start and I hope he has many more.
This and also ,all praise Solari as opposed to that other guy,forget his name, something to do with wires or something !!!

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
“I thought it was an unbelievable job by Simmons today,’’ said Carroll. “He had never even played before and stepping up and doing that was fantastic.’’

Simmons wasn’t even sure how many family and friends were in the stands only that it was a lot.

“Coming out here and starting meant a lot to me because I’ve been through a lot with injuries and whatnot,’’ he said. “So it’s a blessing.’’

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... ise-start/

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
“When John (GM John Schneider) and the scouts figured it out that we could get him we saw a really balanced body, a really big kid,” Carroll stated. “He’s 338 pounds, he’s really strong and athletic, he has all of the right stuff to be a good player. He just hasn’t had the consistency in his background to show it. But we could see enough to give him an opportunity. And everything he’s done he’s done really well. He hasn’t had much work with us either.

“Mike (Solari) has a great feel for him and we gave him a shot and he came through today.”

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2018/ ... nfl-debut/

Atradees

Reaction score
Oh Good! A Simmons post! I thought we were dust without Fluker. Simmons came in and was doing fantastic.

Looked like he was trucking guys to me. Nice pick up.

Where can he get more reps?

Jville

Reaction score
Jordan Simmons was easily the best story coming out of the Rams game. Minimum to no expectations for him outside of the VMAC.

Simmons, as an unknown, is the kind of surprise that makes watching the Seahawks so enjoyable. He may turn out to be the best feel good story since George Fant ........ whose snap counts at tight end over the last 3 or 4 games suggests he has forged a significant role in pushing the run blocking and game.

The run game and blocking is looking formidable going into the second half of the season. I like how this offensive line is finishing.

Jville

Reaction score
I wanted to come back to this topic again this morning to acknowledge a couple of points.

The play calling leaned on the running game 57% of the time. That was most helpful for a newbie to start his first game. Unlike the passing game, exchange locations with running backs and read option decision locations with quarterbacks are very predictable and repeatable. They can be rehearsed with little in the way of leverage surprises for a blocking lineman. Emphasizing a physical running game helped limit a formidable pass rush from laying their ears back and confusing the youngster with his first look at a heavy dose of exotic pass rushes. All that plus some help from veterans assisting him with pass blocking made possible a successful first game experience for Jordan. The week 10 game plan, play calling and execution was prototypical for how to break in a new lineman. I think it a useful demonstration of how they do things right going forward.

Although these underlying insights have been largely ignored, this forum is a good place to acknowledge details that the media at large doesn't have the time or inclination to review.

These are the best of times ........ Go Hawks!