Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Passing game is unacceptable for an NFL offense

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • It’s great they run the ball well but that should open up easy passes as seen by the other good offenses. A solid running game lets the Rams, saints, chiefs, pats all make easy passes for 300 yards each week. Russell Wilson should not be relegated to a game manager with less than 100 yards going into the fourth. It is a genuine problem and Schotty’s history indicates nothing will change.

    If you want to be a high school style offense with a QB making only a handful of passes per game, go get Sam Bradford.
    Last edited by mistaowen on Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
    User avatar
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4455
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


  • we dont have the offense to compete w Rams...running was the right way to go. dumb onside kick but still had the chance to win.
    User avatar
    rcaido
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 668
    Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:47 pm


  • how many points did we score
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2988
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm


  • I honestly don't think this is a Schotty problem.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1435
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


  • Conservatism, don't throw unless you have to basically. The onside kick I have an issue with simply because Janakowski has never had success with it. Gave them an easy score. I'd rather try a fake punt or field goal before I try a fake onside kick
    User avatar
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 897
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:05 am


  • No other team is running over 50% of the time. Competitive but losing games with a chance to win. 1-4 single score games after today. I was hoping after the easy TD to Lockett the offensive staff would realize attacking their SINGLE HIGH SAFETY with man coverage would be easy but nah. For the second week in a row down by two scores, offense burned clock sprinkling in runs for 5 yards.
    User avatar
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4455
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


  • mistaowen wrote:It’s great they run the ball well but that should open up easy passes as seen by the other good teams. A solid running game let’s the Rams, saints, chiefs, pats all make easy passes for 300 yards each week. Russell Wilson should not be relegated to a game manager with less than 100 yards going into the fourth. It is a genuine problem and Schotty’s history indicates nothing will change.

    If you want to be a high school style offense with a QB making only a handful of passes per game, go get Sam Bradford.


    Its easier to find good fans.
    SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS XLVIII 43-8

    Better to have a bottle in front of me,then a frontly lobotmy.
    User avatar
    Chawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2099
    Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:18 am
    Location: corner of 40th & plum


  • What do you want us to do? Drop back and throw 40 times? Have you seen our WR group? We don't even have a receiving TE. We need to run the ball, zero problem with todays game.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3930
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


  • Can not win consistently running 60%+ of the time. Too much clock, too high of expectations on low percentage pass plays. It’s a dumb strategy in today’s nfl.
    User avatar
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4381
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 am


  • Hawk-Lock wrote:What do you want us to do? Drop back and throw 40 times? Have you seen our WR group? We don't even have a receiving TE. We need to run the ball, zero problem with todays game.


    Let’s relax with the hyperbole. Never said throw the ball 40 times, at all. And yes I’ve seen the WR group. They make plays when given an opportunity. Other teams with considerably less talent manage to pass the ball, with zero running game that open it up.
    User avatar
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4455
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Can not win consistently running 60%+ of the time. Too much clock, too high of expectations on low percentage pass plays. It’s a dumb strategy in today’s nfl.


    Your right let's get in a shoot out with the best offense in the league and see where we end up.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2988
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm


  • When you can run the ball for over 250 yards, you don't go away from it. We scored 31 points, I dont' get the complaints here. If I remember correctly, people complained last season about not running the ball enough. You can't have it both ways. Don't forget it's much easier to run against Suh and Donald than to try to pass protect against them. Sacks kill drives. If we threw the ball more, good chance we would have fell behind on the sticks.

    I do agree that the passing game isn't where it should be, but I think a lot of that has to do with our roster. Baldwin isn't 100%, we don't have a pass catching TE, Lockett is probably a #3 WR on most teams, and while Moore has had a nice season, he is not a #3 WR on an NFL team.
    Last edited by Hawk-Lock on Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3930
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


  • Hawk-Lock wrote:What do you want us to do? Drop back and throw 40 times? Have you seen our WR group? We don't even have a receiving TE. We need to run the ball, zero problem with todays game.



    Agree 100%.I love what they have going. Next year they will take another step and win these games.
    justafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1230
    Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:37 am


  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Can not win consistently running 60%+ of the time. Too much clock, too high of expectations on low percentage pass plays. It’s a dumb strategy in today’s nfl.


    Complete non-sense. It helped keep the Rams offense off the field. They usually score 40+ at home, they got 36 off a short field from a fumble.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1862
    Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:00 pm


  • The onside-kick only led to a field goal, how sure are you they wouldn't get that if we had kicked the ball deep?
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1862
    Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:00 pm


  • WestcoastSteve wrote:
    Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Can not win consistently running 60%+ of the time. Too much clock, too high of expectations on low percentage pass plays. It’s a dumb strategy in today’s nfl.


    Complete non-sense. It helped keep the Rams offense off the field. They usually score 40+ at home, they got 36 off a short field from a fumble.


    Hey excuses excuses. As long as we keep it close, right?
    User avatar
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4381
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 am


  • You know there are teams that can run and can pass.

    Carroll cannot evolve his philosophy.
    Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 785
    Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:12 pm


  • WestcoastSteve wrote:The onside-kick only led to a field goal, how sure are you they wouldn't get that if we had kicked the ball deep?


    Most likely would have led to 3 points if we kicked it deep. How many times did the Rams punt? Chances are that drive would have ended in points regardless if we kicked it onside or not.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3930
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


  • We lost the ball passing..... Now times that by 4 the game would have been really out of touch.
    SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS XLVIII 43-8

    Better to have a bottle in front of me,then a frontly lobotmy.
    User avatar
    Chawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2099
    Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:18 am
    Location: corner of 40th & plum


  • Chawker wrote:We lost the ball passing..... Now times that by 4 the game would have been really out of touch.


    Russell had 6 pass attempts going into half time.
    User avatar
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4455
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


  • Fitzpatrick had more than 400 yards passing today. It goes both ways.

    Yes our passing game is below average, but I'd much rather have issues passing the ball than running the ball.

    Which offense would you rather see, our air attack from the past few seasons or this season's nasty running attack. IMO it all starts with the running game.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3930
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


  • Passing game is unacceptable for Fantasy Football fans.

    :twisted:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 15512
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


  • mistaowen wrote:
    Chawker wrote:We lost the ball passing..... Now times that by 4 the game would have been really out of touch.


    Russell had 6 pass attempts going into half time.



    Mcvay must be a real idiot if he cant beat Pete by more than 5 points with all that talent.
    justafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1230
    Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:37 am


  • WestcoastSteve wrote:
    Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Can not win consistently running 60%+ of the time. Too much clock, too high of expectations on low percentage pass plays. It’s a dumb strategy in today’s nfl.


    Complete non-sense. It helped keep the Rams offense off the field. They usually score 40+ at home, they got 36 off a short field from a fumble.


    I agree. Running is not the problem. It is the dumbass pass plays that are called. 3rd down empty set sacks are a surefire way to lose.
    strohmin
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 810
    Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:12 pm


  • That many? And how many turn overs did we have, zero? Thats was a good half for us wasn't it.
    SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS XLVIII 43-8

    Better to have a bottle in front of me,then a frontly lobotmy.
    User avatar
    Chawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2099
    Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:18 am
    Location: corner of 40th & plum


  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Fitzpatrick had more than 400 yards passing today. It goes both ways.

    Yes our passing game is below average, but I'd much rather have issues passing the ball than running the ball.

    Which offense would you rather see, our air attack from the past few seasons or this season's nasty running attack. IMO it all starts with the running game.


    You’re completely ignoring my point. Not sure if purposely. I don’t want to see a 40 pass per game offense. Field gulls had a great break down of our play calling with schotty, essentially saying almost always will call a run on second down. Russell at one point was 8/8 on play action, against a run blitzing defense, and they chose to exploit their single high aggressive coverage once I think. Peters had been awful in man and was on an island all game, never really trying to beat him deep. Offense cannot move the ball if passing game is needed.

    It’s the Jets with Sanchez under him. I am watching identical pitfalls, a great run game that cannot function if they need to complete passes unless it’s against prevent except Russell is considerably better than him.
    User avatar
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4455
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


  • Oh your talking about that article that said Wilson is past his prime and washed up? Yeah I want to use that as my resource much like Bleacher Report or Florio.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25425
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • mistaowen wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Fitzpatrick had more than 400 yards passing today. It goes both ways.

    Yes our passing game is below average, but I'd much rather have issues passing the ball than running the ball.

    Which offense would you rather see, our air attack from the past few seasons or this season's nasty running attack. IMO it all starts with the running game.


    You’re completely ignoring my point. Not sure if purposely. I don’t want to see a 40 pass per game offense. Field gulls had a great break down of our play calling with schotty, essentially saying almost always will call a run on second down. Russell at one point was 8/8 on play action, against a run blitzing defense, and they chose to exploit their single high aggressive coverage once I think. Peters had been awful in man and was on an island all game, never really trying to beat him deep. Offense cannot move the ball if passing game is needed.

    It’s the Jets with Sanchez under him. I am watching identical pitfalls, a great run game that cannot function if they need to complete passes unless it’s against prevent except Russell is considerably better than him.


    I understand your argument, and it make sense. My answer to your point is that the coaches probably don't trust the roster to execute all those plays. We are extremely limited in the WR and TE group. I also think the coaches are afraid of falling behind on the sticks. They'd much rather play it conservative and predictable and run the ball on first down than take the chance of an incomplete pass or a sack on first down. As of now we are a conservative offense both on play calling and passing ability.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3930
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


  • knownone wrote:I honestly don't think this is a Schotty problem.


    I think the lack of a cogent passing game is. It just cant get it done based on the routes, the protection, the QB. They look out of their depth when having to drive down the field out of necessity. Its almost slothful and tentative.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3310
    Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm


  • mrt144 wrote:
    knownone wrote:I honestly don't think this is a Schotty problem.


    I think the lack of a cogent passing game is. It just cant get it done based on the routes, the protection, the QB. They look out of their depth when having to drive down the field out of necessity. Its almost slothful and tentative.


    Offense was 2/9 on third. The entire identity of r-r-p is to make third downs easy and it’s been the opposite. Predictable third down passes did nothing to move the pocket against a defense showing their hand early and getting easy pressure up the middle. Again, they can’t move the ball when defenses adjust to defending run on first and second and need to pass it.
    User avatar
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4455
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


  • mrt144 wrote:
    knownone wrote:I honestly don't think this is a Schotty problem.


    I think the lack of a cogent passing game is. It just cant get it done based on the routes, the protection, the QB. They look out of their depth when having to drive down the field out of necessity. Its almost slothful and tentative.



    Our offense is successful when we can control the game. When we obviously have to pass, we have not shown an ability to execute consistently through protection, routes, timing, etc. I think we're capable, but we have yet to get comfortable with passing in Schotty's offense. In fact, I felt more confident passing when Bevell was here, which is weird to say.
    User avatar
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 897
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:05 am


  • I love the run blocking and the YPC is eye popping. I'm fine with running a ton in fact prefer it.

    It's just...with that dominance it's remarkable to me that when we do pass we cannot leverage that best in NFL run threat to get some easy completions. The pass offense should be in tall cotton when it has to function and instead you'd swear you were watching a team with no run threat where the D knows exactly what pass play is coming.

    I do not know what to make of it. Sure feels like a coaching failure.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8516
    Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:08 pm


  • Why did we only have one seam route from anyone? It went to Dickson late in the game. I’m sitting at home telling my 10 year old son what routes we are running on the sidelines like I’m Nostradamus.we seem to neglect the middle of the field and it’s infuriating watching others teams attack us there over and over. Just my 2 cents.
    User avatar
    BubbaGump
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:53 pm


  • Wilson is overrated . Why pay him 35 million a year to do a job any descent QB could handle this offense can't throw for a reason . Wilson is simply unable to find a WR quickly over the middle because he can't see the field, it's holding back this offense. WE ONLY HAD SUCCES WHEN WE AVERAGE 5 YARDS A CARRY EVERY TIME WE HAVE TO THROW IT BECOMES A CRAP SHOW. You don't give a QB top 5 money to be a game manager Wilson cannot carry an offense.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1100
    Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:10 pm


  • sutz wrote:Passing game is unacceptable for Fantasy Football fans.

    :twisted:

    Actually you are wrong. I started Russell and did well. TD’s count more than yards. That said I do hope Shotty adds some less predictable wrinkles to our passing game. When we score 31 and lose though I’d think it would be the defensive side of the ball that was more of a problem.
    User avatar
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4179
    Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:50 am


  • Northwest Seahawk wrote:Wilson is overrated . Why pay him 35 million a year to do a job any descent QB could handle this offense can't throw for a reason . Wilson is simply unable to find a WR quickly over the middle because he can't see the field, it's holding back this offense. WE ONLY HAD SUCCES WHEN WE AVERAGE 5 YARDS A CARRY EVERY TIME WE HAVE TO THROW IT BECOMES A CRAP SHOW. You don't give a QB top 5 money to be a game manager Wilson cannot carry an offense.


    Why troll with this negativity? The thread was mostly constructive and thoughtful before this crap. Unlike Goff Wilson didn't have 10 seconds to throw all day and wide open receivers every drop back. 2 out of 3 of his TD passes were tight window throws
    User avatar
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 897
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:05 am


  • BubbaGump wrote:Why did we only have one seam route from anyone? It went to Dickson late in the game. I’m sitting at home telling my 10 year old son what routes we are running on the sidelines like I’m Nostradamus.we seem to neglect the middle of the field and it’s infuriating watching others teams attack us there over and over. Just my 2 cents.


    That 3rd and 5 conversion to Baldwin later in the game on an out route- I'm like 'great getting the first down' but even I knew that was going to be his route and I'm no Carnac. And the middle of the field was wide open because they were in a nickle set with the other LB covering on the other side of the line but we just don't run routes like that nor do we seem to try to do but the bare minimum to convert on passing downs. It isn't just on that play but we still run an absurd amount of curl routes (yes they are the most popular route in the NFL, but sheesh) that severely inhibits yac (also the route with the least yac - both come from Football Outsiders)

    I know that Pete et al would never admit this but a passing game that consistently move chains seems like an afterthough that they hope just comes together when it needs to rather than something they put much thought into.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3310
    Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm


  • Scorpion05 wrote:
    Northwest Seahawk wrote:Wilson is overrated . Why pay him 35 million a year to do a job any descent QB could handle this offense can't throw for a reason . Wilson is simply unable to find a WR quickly over the middle because he can't see the field, it's holding back this offense. WE ONLY HAD SUCCES WHEN WE AVERAGE 5 YARDS A CARRY EVERY TIME WE HAVE TO THROW IT BECOMES A CRAP SHOW. You don't give a QB top 5 money to be a game manager Wilson cannot carry an offense.


    Why troll with this negativity? The thread was mostly constructive and thoughtful before this crap. Unlike Goff Wilson didn't have 10 seconds to throw all day and wide open receivers every drop back. 2 out of 3 of his TD passes were tight window throws


    So your saying the O-line is the reason our passing game is underperforming OK but Wilson is the QB and he just can't seem to make the plays when we need them. He's a good QB he's not an elite QB at all if they pay him 30 plus million a year your going to see alot more 7-9 season's.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1100
    Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:10 pm


  • One glaring thing I noticed..well two, we cant stop the run and we really missed fluker.
    User avatar
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2388
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am


  • Northwest Seahawk wrote:
    Scorpion05 wrote:
    Northwest Seahawk wrote:Wilson is overrated . Why pay him 35 million a year to do a job any descent QB could handle this offense can't throw for a reason . Wilson is simply unable to find a WR quickly over the middle because he can't see the field, it's holding back this offense. WE ONLY HAD SUCCES WHEN WE AVERAGE 5 YARDS A CARRY EVERY TIME WE HAVE TO THROW IT BECOMES A CRAP SHOW. You don't give a QB top 5 money to be a game manager Wilson cannot carry an offense.


    Why troll with this negativity? The thread was mostly constructive and thoughtful before this crap. Unlike Goff Wilson didn't have 10 seconds to throw all day and wide open receivers every drop back. 2 out of 3 of his TD passes were tight window throws


    So your saying the O-line is the reason our passing game is underperforming OK but Wilson is the QB and he just can't seem to make the plays when we need them. He's a good QB he's not an elite QB at all if they pay him 30 plus million a year your going to see alot more 7-9 season's.


    I'm not saying it's completely the O-line. I'm saying that we're in a new offense and Wilson is making accurate, tight window throws more often than he misses. That is simply what the film shows. What also bothers me is, if Wilson throws 40+ TDs many still will be down on him. I never see this much negativity when he streaks together great games, which wreaks of opportunism to me. Are we just going to crap on him after every loss?
    User avatar
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 897
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:05 am


  • Bobblehead wrote:One glaring thing I noticed..well two, we cant stop the run and we really missed fluker.


    Rams have a great scheme and if you commit to one you give up the other, we went with zone pass and tried to stop the run with limited LB support, thats where Gurley got those strech hand offs and gashed us since we were dropping back in pass defense, when we went one over center it wasn't there but the pass defense suffered a bit.


    I still think Wagner and Wright were hurting and so was McDougald, we did not have the speed and gap filling we had when we got them at home. Yes I know Wright didn't play that game but we played better defense over all I thought.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25425
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Northwest Seahawk wrote:
    Scorpion05 wrote:
    Northwest Seahawk wrote:Wilson is overrated . Why pay him 35 million a year to do a job any descent QB could handle this offense can't throw for a reason . Wilson is simply unable to find a WR quickly over the middle because he can't see the field, it's holding back this offense. WE ONLY HAD SUCCES WHEN WE AVERAGE 5 YARDS A CARRY EVERY TIME WE HAVE TO THROW IT BECOMES A CRAP SHOW. You don't give a QB top 5 money to be a game manager Wilson cannot carry an offense.


    Why troll with this negativity? The thread was mostly constructive and thoughtful before this crap. Unlike Goff Wilson didn't have 10 seconds to throw all day and wide open receivers every drop back. 2 out of 3 of his TD passes were tight window throws


    So your saying the O-line is the reason our passing game is underperforming OK but Wilson is the QB and he just can't seem to make the plays when we need them. He's a good QB he's not an elite QB at all if they pay him 30 plus million a year your going to see alot more 7-9 season's.


    What is this 'when we need them' BS? We need them all game and his numbers in the last 6 games when we've had all this rushing success are 120 passer rating, 14 TD's/2 Int's and 8 ypa. You like those numbers?
    erik2690
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 309
    Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:56 pm


  • We had 414 yards of total offense, only 40 less than the Rams #1 ranked O.
    Wilson had 92 yards rushing to add to his 176 passing yards and tossed 3 TDs as well. While rushing yards don't count towards the passing game, the lanes opened up as a result of running and Wilson ran for 1st after 1st after 1st on the Rams
    We scored 31 points - more than any other losing team, more than 6 winning teams, in fact more than all but 5 teams this week.
    Wilson threw 4 of his 9 incomplete passes on the final set of downs (including the spike), when we needed sideline passes and to stop the clock from rolling, and while yes, he missed a makeable pass to Lockett on 4th down (as well as probably one other to Moore in the first half that he threw too close to the ground as the only other egregious error he made).

    When you are able to run for 273 yards in a game you don't need your passing game to be high volume, you need efficiency and effectiveness. Going into the final drive Wilson was 16/20 for 150 yards (plus 80 on the ground), 3 TDs and 0 ints - every team in the league would take that.
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3403
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm


  • In all 5 losses this year, we were in the game in the 4th Quarter. We stood toe to toe with the often worshiped Rams, AGAIN. This team is not far from being real good. Just gotta' learn to finish better.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10806
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • All the Seahawks are doing is taking a page out of Chuck Knox's philosophy. Run the ball on 1st & 2nd downs, and if a first down has not been achieved, then we are left with 3rd and a very manageable short yardage situation.

    Sometimes mixing things up with a short swing pass,screens and yes a draw play on 3rd downs. Its all about leading the defense into them thinking one direction and going another.

    Frankly, with this team its a pretty darn wise philosophy if you ask me. If we start throwing the ball a bunch were just going to get Russ hurt. Embrace the running game my friends.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Chawker on Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
    SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS XLVIII 43-8

    Better to have a bottle in front of me,then a frontly lobotmy.
    User avatar
    Chawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2099
    Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:18 am
    Location: corner of 40th & plum


  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Can not win consistently running 60%+ of the time. Too much clock, too high of expectations on low percentage pass plays. It’s a dumb strategy in today’s nfl.


    Total Rubbish. BALANCED FOOTBALL is the recipe to winning longterm. Go look at the teams that win the Super Bowl. Most are teams with a solid running game and a complementary defense. Look at Aaron Rodgers, only 1 Super Bowl appearance and that was only because of a stronger defense and solid running game. All pass games benefit from good running game. Look at KC and Saints, both have elite RB's who can carry and catch the ball. The Eagles last year also had a great running game.

    I do think there are a few times where we become to predictive with running mostly on 1st down-- The Chargers seem to be selling out on 1st down. But generally speaking if your running 150 yards a game that will open up things in the passing game.

    The problem I'm seeing the last 2 weeks is RW isn't completing the big plays he needs to-- He underthrew a wide open Jaron Brown in the Chargers game which would could have altered the game (also the ridiculous Offensive PI had an impact) There was another throw in the Rams game that skipped off the ground. He needs to capitalize on those opportunities.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2780
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


  • hawk45 wrote:I love the run blocking and the YPC is eye popping. I'm fine with running a ton in fact prefer it.

    It's just...with that dominance it's remarkable to me that when we do pass we cannot leverage that best in NFL run threat to get some easy completions. The pass offense should be in tall cotton when it has to function and instead you'd swear you were watching a team with no run threat where the D knows exactly what pass play is coming.

    I do not know what to make of it. Sure feels like a coaching failure.


    I agree. It's really suspicious that we have arguably the best rushing offense in the league and a passing game that's 8th in YPA and 6th in passer rating, yet somehow still manages to be 15th in PPG and 22nd in YPG. That's an indication that the offense is highly efficient but due to coaching, game pace, etc, is leaving points on the table, and even more frustrating, is likely doing it intentionally. For one thing, we're dead last in passing attempts, even behind teams like Buffalo and Arizona that have no hint of a passing game.
    ducks41468
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 332
    Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:41 pm


  • ducks41468 wrote:
    hawk45 wrote:I love the run blocking and the YPC is eye popping. I'm fine with running a ton in fact prefer it.

    It's just...with that dominance it's remarkable to me that when we do pass we cannot leverage that best in NFL run threat to get some easy completions. The pass offense should be in tall cotton when it has to function and instead you'd swear you were watching a team with no run threat where the D knows exactly what pass play is coming.

    I do not know what to make of it. Sure feels like a coaching failure.


    I agree. It's really suspicious that we have arguably the best rushing offense in the league and a passing game that's 8th in YPA and 6th in passer rating, yet somehow still manages to be 15th in PPG and 22nd in YPG. That's an indication that the offense is highly efficient but due to coaching, game pace, etc, is leaving points on the table, and even more frustrating, is likely doing it intentionally. For one thing, we're dead last in passing attempts, even behind teams like Buffalo and Arizona that have no hint of a passing game.


    The lack of pass attempts makes sense situationally though - We aren't being absolutely forced into pass heavy offenses to the point of no return until really late into the game (if then even. Certainly with 6 minutes left against the Rams it seemed inexplicable to keep running it and the lackadaisically shambling to the line and burning clock to set up what would be an even higher leverage drive with even more importance on a cogent passing game). We haven't been passing because haven't really 'needed' to in the same way the hapless bottom feeders have.

    On the other hand - we shy away from it so much, even if not by design, that it isn't that far a reach to think that our lack of aptitude in that regard might be related to shying away from it and not getting opportunities to flesh it out cogently during game time. It's an emergency fire extinguisher that is only half full and the coaching staff thinks we can just throw a blanket over the inferno like we do most the time.

    And while the silver lining might be "That's great - we keep a game tight and then have our shot to win it definitively on the last drive" and I say that the rub is they orient so very much towards drawing it down to one drive integral drive that they paint themselves into a corner with something they aren't proficient at. And being painted into a corner isn't a good thing by and large.
    Last edited by mrt144 on Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3310
    Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm


  • I wouldn't call it unacceptable.

    But like I said in another thread, we do need a better run/pass balance. Can't have 39 yards of passing after two quarters like Sunday, have to get Russell and the receivers involved in the offense sooner than the 4th quarter.

    So that's all I'm asking for, better balance.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13829
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:I wouldn't call it unacceptable.

    But like I said in another thread, we do need a better run/pass balance. Can't have 39 yards of passing after two quarters like Sunday, have to get Russell and the receivers involved in the offense sooner than the 4th quarter.

    So that's all I'm asking for, better balance.


    You mean we can't just flip a switch and win using tactics we consistently avoid through most the game?

    Sheesh!
    mrt144
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3310
    Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm


Next


It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:32 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information