Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Our Outlook for the rest of the Year

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Our Outlook for the rest of the Year
Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:45 pm
  • What do you think? On the one hand, if we win our next two, we would have gone 2-2 in November against the toughest competition. Not bad

On the other hand, Packers and Panthers aren't guaranteed wins. Vikings and Chiefs come after. What are our chances?
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Re: Our Outlook for the rest of the Year
Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:48 pm
  • Pick up a win against the Packers and playoffs is still possible. Especially since we play both the Vikings and Panthers.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:48 pm
  • Slim
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:49 pm
  • Grim. We will compete, but I'm not sure we win many more games. 49ers, Cardinals, yes. Other games ... I guess a less than 50% chance of wins.
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:50 pm
  • Just don't see us making the playoffs. We just aren't that great. I think our record reflects the type of team we are, about a .500 team. We can beat the really bad teams, we can't beat the really good teams, and we play a competitive game with the mediocre teams.

The NFC South is going to likely get two teams in, and I think the NFC North likely gets two teams. There is a possibility the North gets in three teams. Obviously the games against GB and Carolina will be huge.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:51 pm
  • If we can beat GB and the Panthers I'm in. If we dont then hopefully next year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Joey13091
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:53 pm
  • If the Seahawks don't make the playoffs and keep Pete they will be on Hard Knocks. Count on it.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:54 pm
  • We probably can't lose more than one more game if we want to make the playoffs. With a tough schedule, it's looking bleak.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:55 pm
  • This season has 8-8 / 9-7 written all over it. These “close losses” have killed us. We needed that Chargers game or one of these Rams games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:57 pm
  • Teams that pass for 50 yds at the half don't win in today's NFL
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:03 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Teams that pass for 50 yds at the half don't win in today's NFL

Disagree. We had probably close to 150 yards on the ground at half and 14 points, that's plenty. Offense was not the problem. Sometimes you just have to tip your cap to the better team.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:10 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Teams that pass for 50 yds at the half don't win in today's NFL

You can pass for 500 yards a game and still lose as well.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:42 pm
  • This is a 7-9 or 8-8 team. Coaching mistakes to me are more concerning than lack of talent or underperforming players at the moment.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:41 pm
  • Okay, let's look at our competition for a Wild Card:

Falcons: Still have to play Saints, Ravens, Packers, and Panthers. Lose two of those and they're in trouble. The others aren't gimmes either.

Panthers: They still have to play the Saints twice, play us, and a couple of other games that aren't gimmes

Vikings: Have to play us, the Packers, Patriots, and Bears twice. Rough

Eagles: They play the Saints, Rams, Texans, and Redskins twice. Will likely beat each other up, also rough

Obviously, objectively looking at our schedule fans of those teams can easily make those arguments for our team. But, I think we have faced the toughest competition and have the chance to go on a streak, with the Chiefs being the biggest challenge. Thursday is also a must win against a team notoriously known for giving Russ trouble
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:21 pm
  • I still think the Hawks end up with a record of 9-7 or 10-6 at the end of the year. Will that be enough for a wild card? Maybe that is a lot harder to guess since it very well could come down to a tie breaker.
    nutluck
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:55 pm
  • Well, GB and the Vikings aren’t as good as the two LA teams. We are very close. Need more magic at an.
    evergreen
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:58 pm
  • Thinking 8-8...maybe 7-9.

7-9 is what I predicted in another thread before the season started. But, the reasons I thought we would have a 7-9 record couldn't of been further than what's materialized thus far.

The o-line, our reestablished run game. I never understood the Penny pick but, he made my pannies moist today. The secondary...they've had issues but I feel like this year's experience will pay off big for Shaq, Flowers...McDougald is becoming one of my favorite Hawks. Dickson...I mean, what a weapon we have with him. Russ showed today that he still has his legs. I think the OCs will eventually be able to come up with a gameplan that let's him be consistent. He's looked like the same old, incredible RW at times and like a novice in others. We know what he's capable of. This year has been a learning curve from many different angles.

I don't believe we're going to get a wildcard....

But, this team has been "in" almost every game. The first two were depressing. Maybe wishful thinking but, I'm thinking that the future is very bright with this team.

They're challenging teams now. Good teams. 5 losses by a combined 25 pts...A wins a win and an L's and L. But, if you would've told me we would be leading, or be near the front of the pack in the categories that we're actually very good at this year... :141847_bnono:

Not holding my breath this year. Definitely excited about the future.
    Elemas
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:15 pm
  • The last time the Seahawks started a season 4-5 was in 2015 and they won 6 of their final 7 games to make the playoffs.

I think this team is getting closer to being one of the 2 or 3 best teams in the NFC. I don't see a single team remaining on the schedule that they can't beat. There is obviously very little margin for error but I'm not counting them out just yet. As others have said, beat Green Bay and you have 10 days to rest and prepare for Carolina, win both of those games and you are in the driver's seat.

This team kind of reminds me of the Ravens towards the end of the 2012 season. Much like Seattle this season they could run the ball on anybody but they couldn't pass the ball to save their life and as a result, they lost a lot of one-possession games. The positive here is that once the Ravens found any semblance of consistency in their passing game they were virtually unbeatable.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:48 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:This is a 7-9 or 8-8 team. Coaching mistakes to me are more concerning than lack of talent or underperforming players at the moment.

To me a team that keeps coming up short is exactly what an 8-8 team looks like. They can make it seem close but still fail to make the plays to get over the hump that a better team would.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:14 pm
  • mrt144 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:This is a 7-9 or 8-8 team. Coaching mistakes to me are more concerning than lack of talent or underperforming players at the moment.

To me a team that keeps coming up short is exactly what an 8-8 team looks like. They can make it seem close but still fail to make the plays to get over the hump that a better team would.

That's more of good team. Seattle is in the "good" category. Not average. Average teams don't give Super Bowl contenders hell. Average teams also don't put up points this consistently against top teams.

We are a good team with a tough schedule. No worse imo than the Vikings, Panthers, etc.
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:29 am
  • Still sticking to 9-7, but they certainly have given away a lot of games they could have won. Just goes to show that a season really does come down to a small handful of plays.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:21 am
  • Scorpion05 wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:This is a 7-9 or 8-8 team. Coaching mistakes to me are more concerning than lack of talent or underperforming players at the moment.

That's more of good team. Seattle is in the "good" category. Not average. Average teams don't give Super Bowl contenders hell. Average teams also don't put up points this consistently against top teams.

We are a good team with a tough schedule. No worse imo than the Vikings, Panthers, etc.

Well then we need to stop playing better teams ;)
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:30 am
  • Can only afford to lose one more game which is unlikely to occur. I see it anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:56 am
  • to get a more precise answer to this question, check out this playoff predictor website : https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/upshot/nfl-playoff-machine.html

As things stand now, this machine predicts the Seahawks to have about 23% chance to make the playoffs. However, if they win their next three games the odds go up to about 67%. even if they lose to the Vikings and Chiefs they still have a good chance.
    tafkar
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:26 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Just don't see us making the playoffs. We just aren't that great. I think our record reflects the type of team we are, about a .500 team. We can beat the really bad teams, we can't beat the really good teams, and we play a competitive game with the mediocre teams.

The NFC South is going to likely get two teams in, and I think the NFC North likely gets two teams. There is a possibility the North gets in three teams. Obviously the games against GB and Carolina will be huge.

Really? Completely talkin out of your butt! I’m not even going to break the games down but you obviously are just spouting off nonsense. You for one will be thought about first as this gets turned around.

Denver Loss, mediocre/bad, competitive

Chicago Loss, good/great, competitive

Cowboys Win, Mediocre, Blowout

Cards Win, Bad, Struggled

Detroit Win, Mediocre, Blowout

Rams Loss, Elite, Extremely Competitive

Raiders Win, garbage, Blowout

Chargers, Loss, good/great, Blowout

Rams, Loss, Elite, Competitive

Also the NFC north getting 3 teams ONLY if we lose to the Packers and Vikings and at point our season is over anyway. We play them both here at home so those should be wins which gives Seattle a 3-1 record against that division and holding all wildcard tie breakers.

People seem to just never “get it.” Every single week we watch as teams that are “better” than Seattle (New England, Carolina) getting blown out of the water. Teams of all shapes and sizes getting obliterated and yet the Hawks remain competitive and close week to week.

The season is not even close to over and the negativity would be easier digested if some would at least back up what they are saying with facts rather than blind hatred.
    Bandwagon76
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:29 am
  • You haven't seen a thing yet, just wait :irishdrinkers:

They will win games, and people will make excuses for WHY they won. It's never because the Hawks played well, it's that the other team sucks and/or just played bad, had injuries etc. And when they lose, people come out of the wood work to tell they told you so etc.

Just roll with it, it's hilarious.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:59 am
  • To make the playoffs we'll need to have a 10-6 record, which means that we'd need to go 6-1 over our next 7 games. So we 've been playing good hard nose football as of late, but i just not see us doing it.
    Cheers
    SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS XLVIII 43-8

Better to have a bottle in front of me,then a frontly lobotmy.
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:05 pm
  • 7-9
    Hasselbeck wrote:Matt Flynn should be our starter. Wilson is nothing more than a backup and will never amount to anything in this league.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:11 pm
  • Bandwagon76 wrote:Really? Completely talkin out of your butt! I’m not even going to break the games down but you obviously are just spouting off nonsense. You for one will be thought about first as this gets turned around.

The season is not even close to over and the negativity would be easier digested if some would at least back up what they are saying with facts rather than blind hatred.

You've got nerve to be saying stuff like this with your ninth post, rookie. ;)

The reality is somewhere in the middle. We've been competitive in all these games...because Pete's run-first philosophy is an equalizer. But you might have noticed we're not winning. Winning is how you make the playoffs. The defense isn't getting off the field on third down despite their scrappy play, and we don't have that extra oomph we need to win games we used to win. We're going to need another year of reloading, methinks. And this upcoming draft is just the draft to do it.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:02 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Bandwagon76 wrote:Really? Completely talkin out of your butt! I’m not even going to break the games down but you obviously are just spouting off nonsense. You for one will be thought about first as this gets turned around.

You've got nerve to be saying stuff like this with your ninth post, rookie. ;)

The reality is somewhere in the middle. We've been competitive in all these games...because Pete's run-first philosophy is an equalizer. But you might have noticed we're not winning. Winning is how you make the playoffs. The defense isn't getting off the field on third down despite their scrappy play, and we don't have that extra oomph we need to win games we used to win. We're going to need another year of reloading, methinks. And this upcoming draft is just the draft to do it.

I’m only a rookie on this discussion board but I thoroughly was frustrated at the comments made there as there was no basis for literally anything that he said. I’m not all rainbows and butterflies all the time but at least when I make statements they are based on “something.”

There is a direct correlation to being close week in and week out and winning football games. We’ve seen this before and we are seeing it again. I imagine once the Hawks go on this run and are in the playoffs that some will forget all they said and be saying that the sky is the limit.

It will take some good football to get there and I believe wholeheartedly that it begins tomorrow.
    Bandwagon76
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:48 pm
  • Ask me Friday morning.
    Bow Down to Washington
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:00 pm
  • Making the playoffs is very unlikely at this point they have to win 2 out of the next 3 to have a chance it starts with GB. If we lose to GB there toast. If they can do that win 2 out of next 3 then the 3 wins against SF and Arizona gives us a descent chance. Division games are never easy I have a hard time believing we win all three. That's to get to 9-7 hopefully that's enough. Honestly though I think you have a better chance of winning the lottery than Seattle making the playoffs this year.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:23 am
  • I say they go on a role... make the play offs and beat the Rams in the NFC championship game 38-37 in LA 14 point underdogs... Yeah man thats how its going down!!! :)
    LTH
    NET Starter

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:38 am
  • Outlook = more of the same. Change doesn’t come easily or quickly in the NFL.

Some exciting moments and more frustratingly close losses.

Something is missing and it’s really more on the D than the O. The team is vulnerable to the pass and AT IMPORTANT times can’t get off the field when they need to get off the field. The 3rd down defense is still not reliably stopping opponents. The dominating D of past is missing some key pieces, yet has promise at times. It’s frustrating to watch because the team is close but not quit there yet.

As well, the 4th quarter magic is not there to the same degree it used to be, and RW has recently made some ugly mistakes trying to make something from nothing or from less than we had before. Lately the team seems unable to protect a lead and have needed almost miraculous late chunk plays from an O that is set up to grind it. There is, as said, something missing here. It’s close but it isn’t getting done, at least not so far this season.

Saying the above I believe there is still a genuine chance the team could make the playoffs and pull it together defensively but I don’t see many big double digit wins as the horses aren’t here to ride on O or can’t stay healthy. The team is seemingly reloading/rebuilding and we need to be patient. This year’s team is a physically tough team and no opponent has an easy time against it.

I really would love to see this team play the Rams again. The rivalry is there and our boys can get it done by fixing a very few things. I think our guys are built for a longer period of being competitive than the Rams are at present but the Rams have more weapons on O than us and a real consistent pass rush.

4-5 and facing Packers, Vikings, Panthers, KC, and 3 divisional games with SF and AZ, I expect 5-2 which may not be enough for a wildcard at 9-7. I’m not being defeatist and this team has the present ability to run the table.

It starts for real tonight, a must win game without a doubt.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:55 am
  • 7-9. I think we drop one of the two games to the 49ers and squeak out a win against the Vikings or Packers.
    ducks41468
    NET Starter

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:57 am
  • Our outlook for the year is virtually unchanged since August.

The manner in which the record has been compiled has been the key element. This team was not going to the playoffs. That defense was never going to be good enough to make that a reality. However offensively, this team is right where it's highest hopes dared dream to be.

This team is real close. But it was not going to happen overnight. I would add, that losing Thomas probably has been worth two wins in this stretch. This defense is not right without him there, and I've said for years that Earl was the second most important player on this entire team.

This team is outperforming where I thought we had the right to expect. And still has a very legit shot at improving on that. This team may be 4-5 now. But it's been a fun and entertaining 4-5.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:01 am
  • We're winning out and going 11- 5. It starts tonight. :irishdrinkers: :0190l:
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:08 am
  • 9-7 should be our record end of year.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:11 am
  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:Our outlook for the year is virtually unchanged since August.

The manner in which the record has been compiled has been the key element. This team was not going to the playoffs. That defense was never going to be good enough to make that a reality. However offensively, this team is right where it's highest hopes dared dream to be.

This team is real close. But it was not going to happen overnight. I would add, that losing Thomas probably has been worth two wins in this stretch. This defense is not right without him there, and I've said for years that Earl was the second most important player on this entire team.

This team is outperforming where I thought we had the right to expect. And still has a very legit shot at improving on that. This team may be 4-5 now. But it's been a fun and entertaining 4-5.

Odd to mention Earl when two of the most winnable losses we've had this year are the Denver and Chicago losses when we had Earl.

People keep pointing to the defense as to why we're losing these close games, and it's the offense and Russell. Not sure bout you guys, but I don't accept a supposed top 10 QB in his prime, a stable of RB's, adequate WR/TE's and the best O-line we've had since our SB runs to lose all these games in the 4th quarter.

- pick sixes by Russell
    - fumbling snaps
    - taking 15 yard sacks
    - false start on the goal line
    - airmailing Lockett to end the game

So yeah it's EXACTLY what I said in August, that if this team during a rebuild of the defense was going to make the playoffs, Russell and the offense would have to carry the team..........and they're not. There is no margin for error this year, and they're making key errors.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:00 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Attyla the Hawk wrote:Our outlook for the year is virtually unchanged since August.

Odd to mention Earl when two of the most winnable losses we've had this year are the Denver and Chicago losses when we had Earl.

People keep pointing to the defense as to why we're losing these close games, and it's the offense and Russell. Not sure bout you guys, but I don't accept a supposed top 10 QB in his prime, a stable of RB's, adequate WR/TE's and the best O-line we've had since our SB runs to lose all these games in the 4th quarter.

- pick sixes by Russell
    - fumbling snaps
    - taking 15 yard sacks
    - false start on the goal line
    - airmailing Lockett to end the game

So yeah it's EXACTLY what I said in August, that if this team during a rebuild of the defense was going to make the playoffs, Russell and the offense would have to carry the team..........and they're not. There is no margin for error this year, and they're making key errors.

Beyond this season do you think the defense has more room for growth?
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:13 am
  • mrt144 wrote:

Absolutely, how could you not?

The defense is already further along then most people thought. Pete's proven that he knows how to build and develop a defense, so I have total faith he's going to do it again and we can get back to a perennial playoff team.

Also remember next year we're going to have over 60M in cap space to go get some free agent help/depth, which this defense desperately needs right now, especially on the D-line.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:14 am
  • Everything you say is correct about the O, but you need to acknowledge that the D is having 3rd down troubles and can't seem to reliably get off the field like they used to be able to do. There are the missing aspects of a reliable pass rush, the run fits still seem inconsistent and frequently awful, and the young DBs are regularly not quite in the right position to make plays. The defence is vulnerable at the edges of seams and deep over the middle, watching Gurley chew up the D on stretch plays was becoming tiresome.

As others have said here, the team is close but not yet there. I am of the view the team still needs another dominant offensive player that can take the attention and still produce with RW, there doesn't seem to be any genuine difference makers, only steady supporting cast types. All in the depth isn't bad but there is something missing. As well defensively the edge rush needs help, and it would be nice if the team could add/develop a 3 tech that can put interior pressure on opponents. Health at OLB would go a long way to fix the run fit gap integrity lack of discipline.

With just 5 draft picks it will be an interesting draft. Trader John will need to be creative.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:19 am
  • jammerhawk wrote:Everything you say is correct about the O, but you need to acknowledge that the D is having 3rd down troubles and can't seem to reliably get off the field like they used to be able to do.

But that's my point. The defensive struggles were expected, I expected more out of a veteran offense and Russell.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:44 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:

The defense is already further along then most people thought. Pete's proven that he knows how to build and develop a defense, so I have total faith he's going to do it again and we can get back to a perennial playoff team.

Also remember next year we're going to have over 60M in cap space to go get some free agent help/depth, which this defense desperately needs right now, especially on the D-line.

I left off part of my question although the answer is likely the same - does the defense have a higher ceiling to ascend to than our offense all things considered in the next 2 years. Just kinda curious where other fans are leaning on their optimism.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:50 am
  • While my preseason pick of 10-6 was admittedly optimistic - and remains so - I don't think it's a stretch that they could go on a roll and sneak in at 9-7. 8-8 seems most likely at this point.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:53 am
  • mrt144 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:

I left off part of my question although the answer is likely the same - does the defense have a higher ceiling to ascend to than our offense all things considered in the next 2 years. Just kinda curious where other fans are leaning on their optimism.

I think our defense will always have a higher ceiling then the offense, because of how Pete wants the team built.........and IMO it's his strength, and he knows it.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:13 am
  • mrt144 wrote:I left off part of my question although the answer is likely the same - does the defense have a higher ceiling to ascend to than our offense all things considered in the next 2 years. Just kinda curious where other fans are leaning on their optimism.

IMO no.

Certainly there are parts of the defense that have a lot of room to grow. Our corners being most obvious. I like their trajectory and I think they'll do well in 2019.

At LB, I think it's capped out. Wagner is at his peak and it's great. KJ looks like father time is starting to win on him. Shaquem doesn't appear imminently capable of being what KJ is right now. Kendricks is a wild card. Assuming he isn't in prison -- he gives us a chance to maintain what we have.

The DL needs talent. I don't see guys on this roster that are ready to elevate to the next level. Clark and Reed are already there. Pretty much everyone else is just depth/rotational players. Still useful. But none of them provide flashes of what might be. That doesn't mean Martin or Green won't in their second year. But I don't see in them the same things I saw Frank Clark do in his rookie year even as a rotational guy. Players often make a big leap in year two. But Seattle can't sit back and burn a draft season in the unfounded hopes that these guys make that leap. They have to assume they won't, but if they do they have an abundance of riches there.

Our safeties are a problem. McDougald is a solid safety. But the fact is, we're not even running the same defense we've been running since 2010 because of the safety play. This is Hill's and Thompson's second year in the program. I don't see either of them emerging similarly to what Chancellor did in his second year. Or putting it all together like Earl did in his second year. Back then we could see flashes of greatness and could see the potential. Even if Chancellor was mostly on ST as Malloy's understudy. I don't see anything to suggest Thompson or Hill will get a 2nd deal here.

I think we don't have a higher ceiling because there are probably 5 guys on this defense now that the team will seek to replace with top level rookie talent. If they had a high ceiling, this would not be the case.

IMO, this defense can get a lot better. But only if we add players that aren't here now.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:07 pm
  • Aros wrote:While my preseason pick of 10-6 was admittedly optimistic - and remains so - I don't think it's a stretch that they could go on a roll and sneak in at 9-7. 8-8 seems most likely at this point.

10-6 is still a possibility this is the NFL anything can happen...

LTH
    LTH
    NET Starter

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:22 pm
  • I've seen enough Seahawk football to know this isn't a team that's going deep in the playoffs. We are still a few key pieces away and the remaining schedule is split with contenders and cupcakes. I really like what is happening on the offense, but the defense is young and still a few contributors away from being consistent, nevermind dominant. I honestly wouldn't be disappointed if we end the year 7-9 or 8-8, after having re-established a power running game and gotten some good experience to a number of young guys. But DT, DE, CB, and yes, still OL, are in need of further upgrades. Shouldn't we have most of the dead money off the books next year? (perhaps not Kam, but most everyone else)....perhaps enough to land a couple of value FAs, have another solid draft and reload for 2019. I'm just happy we played a good Rams team tough twice after getting slapped around last Dec at home...that was as low as I've felt after a regular season game in years.
    MagnificentSeven
    NET Practice Squad

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:29 pm
  • We have to win the remaining games...except the chiefs. 10-6 is the only path to the wildcard, 9-7 wont do it.

Next sunday is big. Have to beat the panthers. I think we can win against the viks at home, but it will be another tough one. Panthers away worries me though.

Of course, we could win against the panthers and the viks an pull the old seahawks move of dropping a game against the niners or cards. Crap, now that I've said it, I'm depressed.
    johnnyfever
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:16 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information