Beating Green Bay is everything

hawknation2018

Reaction score
It's a home game. It's in prime time. Green Bay is 0-4 in road games this year.

The season is on the line on Thursday night. If they win, they will still have a good shot at nine or ten victories, which may be enough to make the playoffs. If they lose, they would be 4-6 heading to Carolina.

Remaining games in increasing order of difficulty
49ers at home
Cardinals at home
49ers on the road
Packers at home
Vikings at home
Chiefs at home
Panthers on the road

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, huge game. IF they are sitting at 5-5 with 4 home games in December, they have a shot of getting to 9 wins. I suspect the Wild Card will only need 9 wins this year. Not saying I think they'll make playoffs, but there is hope, especially if they can knock off Erin. Pound the rock all damn night long. That being said, if they can't generate a pass rush, he will shred this D.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Rams essentially get the division if we lose Thursday, still likely have it even with a win. Wild Card is a mess so anything can happen, 9 or 10 wins probably gets a playoff birth given the clump of mediocre records this year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Shoot, with the outlook before the season, and with good reason..........being in the mix in December? Sign me up.

Seymour

Reaction score
I'd love to beat the Pack this week but I see things different. This is a clear rebuild year and there are no "must wins" IMO. This season is best served to figure out who stays and who goes as we build deeper and deeper talent. Seeing signs of life from Penny and getting Wilson running again was enough for Sunday IMO. We may still need to weed out guys like KJ and we definitely need to shore up the defensive side of the ball before we worry about making waves in the playoffs IMO.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":1resluo9 said:
I'd love to beat the Pack this week but I see things different. This is a clear rebuild year and there are no "must wins" IMO. This season is best served to figure out who stays and who goes as we build deeper and deeper talent. Seeing signs of life from Penny and getting Wilson running again was enough for Sunday IMO. We may still need to weed out guys like KJ and we definitely need to shore up the defensive side of the ball before we worry about making waves in the playoffs IMO.

That's the hallmark of doomed franchises like the 49ers. It's a "loser mentality" to preference thoughts about the distant future over the opportunity you have right in front of you to compete now.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2018":27ns4q2b said:
Seymour":27ns4q2b said:

That's the hallmark of doomed franchises like the 49ers. It's a "loser mentality" to preference thoughts about the distant future over the opportunity you have right in front of you to compete now.

You too will have a "loser mentality" within 2 weeks. You don't want to win anymore than me, you just attach a different reaction to a loss by stating "must win" to it.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":m3hjeh4b said:
hawknation2018":m3hjeh4b said:
Seymour":m3hjeh4b said:

You too will have a "loser mentality" within 2 weeks. You don't want to win anymore than me, you just attach a different reaction to a loss by stating "must win" to it.

That's a very convoluted response. Want to try again? :D

It seems you are working under the assumption that they will lose the next two weeks, which is definitely a "loser mentality." Why else would you presume to know that I will adopt your mentality "within 2 weeks"? :177692:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1q1udjxw said:

Rebuilding is more than just worrying about what pick we'll have and who we're keeping. It's about instilling belief and momentum towards next year DURING the rebuild by trying your hardest to make the playoffs........even if that means losing in the Wild Card round.

So yes, if you don't want to lose the locker room and the players you desperately need to keep believing in what you're doing during this rebuild, you need the "must win" mentality and edge to be there until the season's over.

This is a must win for the Hawks.

nutluck

Reaction score
Since there is a very real chance wild cards could come down to tie breakers this year, I think the Packers and Panthers games are two of the most important games for the Hawks if they want to get a wild card spot.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Can only afford 1 more loss the rest of the way for a wild card. I think they can beat GB but I see a couple losses at least moving fwd. As long as they continue to be competitive I'm happy.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Seymour":2ndvb24t said:
hawknation2018":2ndvb24t said:
Seymour":2ndvb24t said:

You're right, Seymore, these people just don't get it. Let's tank for the big first-round pick! Forever!

Go Hawks?

Chawker

Reaction score
Yesterday I heard that the Seahawks have a 24% shot at making it into the play offs.

Still hope we clobber those cheese heads.
Cheers

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I was listening to Pete this morning as he was discussing why the injured players were held out as well as when they might play again. One thing is becoming clear....today's players are of a different mind set than those of the '50's and '60's. The players of that era played with major pain. Listening to Pete, I get the impression that if a player says he is "hurting" ….he is held out. This game with Green Bay is a "must win"....if this team desires to make the Playoffs.

jdruaint

Reaction score
4-3 NEXT 7

We play like a 8-8 average team and that is exactly where we end up imo.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2ofotymc said:
I was listening to Pete this morning as he was discussing why the injured players were held out as well as when they might play again. One thing is becoming clear....today's players are of a different mind set than those of the '50's and '60's. The players of that era played with major pain. Listening to Pete, I get the impression that if a player says he is "hurting" ….he is held out. This game with Green Bay is a "must win"....if this team desires to make the Playoffs.

I feel they are protecting Carson too much. First it was benching him because he looked tired. Now they’re holding him out with this hip/groin issue. Every time Carson gets the ball, he seems to run hard and maximizes his opportunities. Let him grind though it if he’s willing. He was running well against SD right up until they decided to take him out of the game.

themunn

Reaction score
Seymour":wamybxp3 said:

I heard that in 2010 too.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/mikevorel/status/1062108625554927616[/tweet]