Will this be a turning point for Russell?

hawknation2018

Reaction score
One of the bright spots in the game was the way Russell Wilson was scrambling for chunks of yardage.

After running for a then-season-high 41 yards against the Chargers, Wilson had 92 yards on the ground against an aggressive (and supposedly good) Rams defense.

This has been a missing element until now. It has the potential to make the offense more dangerous for our opponents. There is nothing more difficult to scheme for than an efficient passer who can also run for first downs.

92 rushing yards, 3 TDs, a 123 QB rating, and scoring 31 points on the road (without your starting RB) should not be so readily dismissed.

mistaowen

Reaction score
He definitely didn't look right to start the year and I have a feeling he downplayed how bad his hammy actually was. This was the first time in awhile he looked like himself, seeing defenses 10 yards downfield and knowing a run gets good yards. I hope this means a couple more keepers on the R/O sprinkled in, lot of green past few games if he kept it on occasion.

TreeRon

Reaction score
He's sent the message. Opponents may have thought RW's running could be discounted. Now, they'll have to go back to taking 1 of 11 defenders to spy on him.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
If you're still blaming the hammy, you missed all the offseason literature that discussed Brian Schottenheimer setting out to turn Wilson into a disciplined pocket dweller. That, I would submit, is more responsible for the lack of Wilson rushing.

I wonder if Schottenheimer eased the reigns himself on Wilson in this game, or whether Wilson just started blowing him off a la Bevell in 2012.

irfuben32

Reaction score
Russell has always said he doesn't like to run.

He usually doesn't run until the 2 minute drill.

It's a shame because if he ran throughout the the entire game all season we would be shredding people.

I am not a believer that running QB's get hurt more often. He takes much more hits standing in the pocket.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
irfuben32":3mexntp0 said:
It's a shame because if he ran throughout the the entire game all season we would be shredding

I also doubt that. It's easier to run in the two-minute drill because the defense is usually playing far back in anticipation of the deep throw. Lot less room for him to run in other game situations.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Hoping they can continue the positive momentum this Thursday. Green Bay’s defense has not been very good: 24th in defensive efficiency, 26th against the run, 21st against the pass (per DVOA, before this last game). If the Seahawks can score 36 points, they will be averaging the most points per game of the Carroll Era.

mistaowen

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3drzl5lq said:
If you're still blaming the hammy, you missed all the offseason literature that discussed Brian Schottenheimer setting out to turn Wilson into a disciplined pocket dweller. That, I would submit, is more responsible for the lack of Wilson rushing.

I wonder if Schottenheimer eased the reigns himself on Wilson in this game, or whether Wilson just started blowing him off a la Bevell in 2012.

For sure, all the interviews said they were working on Russell's footwork within the pocket and trying to break his habit of spinning out of the pocket unnecessarily. I know it's something they've drilled into his head this season. I just mean on the times he has actually kept it for a run, he looked gimpy and not nearly as fast to the edge. Yesterday he had a burst I hadn't seen this year.

And if it was Wilson blowing off Schotty, then good. Russell isn't a traditional pocket guy and likely won't ever be. Utilize his athleticism by moving the pocket around and allowing him to decide on pass or run for yards. He's a smart guy and rarely takes a big hit, it was such a weapon having him rack up 50+ yards a game on the ground.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
mistaowen":3yfpsux2 said:
He definitely didn't look right to start the year and I have a feeling he downplayed how bad his hammy actually was. This was the first time in awhile he looked like himself, seeing defenses 10 yards downfield and knowing a run gets good yards. I hope this means a couple more keepers on the R/O sprinkled in, lot of green past few games if he kept it on occasion.
MikeRob let it slip a few weeks ago that Russell had been playing with a bad wheel but did not elaborate.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_Fantasy/status/1062067075559161856[/tweet]

irfuben32

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":37yzph3b said:
irfuben32":37yzph3b said:
It's a shame because if he ran throughout the the entire game all season we would be shredding

I also doubt that. It's easier to run in the two-minute drill because the defense is usually playing far back in anticipation of the deep throw. Lot less room for him to run in other game situations.

That's a fair point. I do think thought that there are a lot of opportunities to run during the game that he either misses or hesitates on so they going for much shorter gains though. At the end of each half he just hits the jets and takes the first down.

mrt144

Reaction score
hawknation2018":7re2ya7n said:
One of the bright spots in the game was the way Russell Wilson was scrambling for chunks of yardage.

After running for a then-season-high 41 yards against the Chargers, Wilson had 92 yards on the ground against an aggressive (and supposedly good) Rams defense.

This has been a missing element until now. It has the potential to make the offense more dangerous for our opponents. There is nothing more difficult to scheme for than an efficient passer who can also run for first downs.

92 rushing yards, 3 TDs, a 123 QB rating, and scoring 31 points on the road (without your starting RB) should not be so readily dismissed.

Im gonna lean no. Schotty is a new and different anchor.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
He's not as fast as he was, but quicker than the first few games this season.

Saw the opening and went for it.

I say go for it.

As someone else noted, he's just as likely to get hurt standing in the pocket sometimes holding the ball for way too long.