Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Bigtime WR is a priority this offseason

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Bigtime WR is a priority this offseason
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:49 am
  • I really hope this offseason that the team goes out and gets a WR that can consistently get separation. It seems Russ holds the ball too long at times but if you see what he sees many times there is just nobody open. I'm aware in the past that we have not been successful in free agency with WR's but it's clear we do not have a number 1 on the team. If we obtain a true number one, just think what this will not only do for Russ and the passing game but also the rushing attack.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2488
    Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:20 am


  • A big time TE would be more effective in this offense IMO. Schottenheimer is way better at using TE's than wide receivers. Dissley is good but who knows how he will be after that injury. Dissley was carrying our passing attack the first few weeks.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2703
    Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:31 am


  • Dissley was carrying our passing attack?????
    After a very nice and surprising week 1 where he had 3 receptions for 105 yards and a td, he followed it up with 5 receptions for 51 yrds over the next 3 weeks. Dont get me wrong, I like Dissley and I hope he comes back from that injury, but if 8 receptions for 161 yrds over 4 weeks is carrying our passing attack---we are screwed.
    FDNYHAWK
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 237
    Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:57 pm


  • I'd rather see some more pass rushers. We are giving QB's way too much time to carve us up...
    User avatar
    Sign37now
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 680
    Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:49 am


  • Pass rushers come at a premium.

    Like LTs or shutdown corners, everyone wants them.

    WRs at least can be had for relatively cheap in contrast. You can get a great player even in the 2nd round. They do take a few years to blossom though.

    Pass rushers are expensive unless you get a green as grass raw prospect that will take time and be a risk.

    Getting a great pass rusher is a long shot.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3355
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • Baldwin and Lockett regularly get separation. Keep in mind that they're receiving passes from a highly conservative QB who doesn't like throwing into tight windows unless he's down by two scores. It drives us nuts when the result is pass pressure, but I think both Pete and Wilson prefer that over an interception.

    Pass rusher is something we have a lot less of at its position.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16130
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:Baldwin and Lockett regularly get separation. Keep in mind that they're receiving passes from a highly conservative QB who doesn't like throwing into tight windows unless he's down by two scores. It drives us nuts when the result is pass pressure, but I think both Pete and Wilson prefer that over an interception.

    Pass rusher is something we have a lot less of at its position.


    Yes and let's not forget Moore is looking good this season, next season he'll probably look better. I feel like Pete will go heavy on D this next off-season since we're pretty stable at O with some decent players and decent coaches to match. It would honestly surprise me if the Seahawks went more Offense than Defense in the off-season.
    2018 Adopt-a-rookie: Tre Flowers, CB
    User avatar
    jmahon316
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 176
    Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:59 pm


  • jmahon316 wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:Baldwin and Lockett regularly get separation. Keep in mind that they're receiving passes from a highly conservative QB who doesn't like throwing into tight windows unless he's down by two scores. It drives us nuts when the result is pass pressure, but I think both Pete and Wilson prefer that over an interception.

    Pass rusher is something we have a lot less of at its position.


    Yes and let's not forget Moore is looking good this season, next season he'll probably look better. I feel like Pete will go heavy on D this next off-season since we're pretty stable at O with some decent players and decent coaches to match. It would honestly surprise me if the Seahawks went more Offense than Defense in the off-season.


    Moore has had some moments, but his impact has been a little overstated. In 9 games, he only has 14 receptions. That's kind of a surprise. Of course, 4 of those are TDs. :D He has been good, but has kind of gone quiet the last two weeks (3-32).

    I am a little flummoxed with how they have been using WRs this season, but I think most of it is the run heavy commitment. Jaron Brown has some TDs, but is mostly non-existent (8 catches in 9 games). With Baldwin gimpy, we really don't have a bell cow.

    Lockett has been a scoring machine, but does little else during the game. Our passing offense has just been odd.

    We really could use a dominator.
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 9322
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: Blue Springs, Missouri


  • Stongly disagree. I actually think it is very low on the priority scale. Let's just say for example you had Julio Jones on this team right now. How would things drastically change? And yes it is a legitimate question that I am curious to hear the answers on.
    User avatar
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1565
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 6:14 am


  • iigakusei wrote:Stongly disagree. I actually think it is very low on the priority scale. Let's just say for example you had Julio Jones on this team right now. How would things drastically change? And yes it is a legitimate question that I am curious to hear the answers on.


    Well if he's running the Schotty Route tree he might be good for an extra 2 or 3 intermediate to deep snags over the current players.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm


  • We need help on the D line (pass rushers) #1 IMO, secondly at least one more road grader that can pass defend and lastly a big bodied, good route runner, pass catcher.
    TreeRon
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 359
    Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:48 pm


  • Yes, we could use one for sure. But it is a huge catch 22. Could anyone imagine a guy like OBJ in this offense? He'd be fighting with SeaBass's kicking net and blowing his mind every week with his couple of targets a game. :rumble:

    No matter what, he would be under utilized here under Pete / Schotty IMO.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5799
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Don't we say this every off season? We need a true #1 or big bodied receiver?

    Problem is;

    1. We don't run the kind of offense to warrant paying a first tier free agent WR to come here
    2. Nor does it warrant drafting one high if he's just going to block 60-70% of the time

    So we continue to get by with smaller fast twitch quick receivers that can get open when Russell's scrambling for his life, as opposed to a big bodied traditional split end WR that runs traditional routes.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13784
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • jmahon316 wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:Baldwin and Lockett regularly get separation. Keep in mind that they're receiving passes from a highly conservative QB who doesn't like throwing into tight windows unless he's down by two scores. It drives us nuts when the result is pass pressure, but I think both Pete and Wilson prefer that over an interception.

    Pass rusher is something we have a lot less of at its position.


    Yes and let's not forget Moore is looking good this season, next season he'll probably look better. I feel like Pete will go heavy on D this next off-season since we're pretty stable at O with some decent players and decent coaches to match. It would honestly surprise me if the Seahawks went more Offense than Defense in the off-season.


    Moore has disappeared the last two games. He might be just another Chris Matthews.

    He is, however, blocking very well, which is largely what Seattle likes to do with his WR's. Jaron Brown, same thing. If they get open, great, but Pete's offense doesn't need its WR's to do much. Just run down the sideline on the endless four-verts, and most of the rest of the time, block.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16130
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


  • I don’t know if this is the year one can say Russ is conservative. I’ve always felt that point was overstated but Russ has been making tight window throws all season

    I agree with OP. You need a big play receiver defenses are scared of, especially with our running attack. Our receivers scare no one, Good not Great. Russ has to make great throws every time as a result. Just once I’d love to have a Michael Thomas, or Moss, or Julio, or OBJ. That’d be sweet
    User avatar
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 881
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:05 am


  • Scorpion05 wrote:Just once I’d love to have a Michael Thomas, or Moss, or Julio, or OBJ. That’d be sweet


    They'd be asking for a trade in under two seasons.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16130
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Scorpion05 wrote:Just once I’d love to have a Michael Thomas, or Moss, or Julio, or OBJ. That’d be sweet


    They'd be asking for a trade in under two seasons.


    You can have these guys, you just gotta get them in the draft............and not overpay for them in free agency.

    I'd love a Jones type, but I'd settle for another Tate type of WR. Someone who's more physical, breaks tackles and has a knack for getting open and making clutch catches. Baldwin is close to that, but IMO Tate was better.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13784
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • We don't have a true #3. Brown has disappeared, Moore has been spotty, Marshall was cut. Lockett has had a very nice season as a 2 and Baldwin, our 1, has been only 70% with the knee. We need someone in the 3rd round that can develop. The offseason emphasis should still be improving the D so we'll have to rely on 3rd-5th rounds to seek capable WR help.
    User avatar
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2125
    Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:24 am


  • I still think it was dumb of the Seahawks to get rid of Bennett. I watched that Eagles vs Cowboys game & he still has it. I really miss him. Imagine if we still had him this year.

    We need Green to step up big by the end of the season. Need to draft a big time pass rusher and let Clark go. Maybe two. Griffith has been in a sophomore slump, what happen to him. Might have to get another DB too.
    User avatar
    rcaido
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 665
    Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:47 pm


  • Returning to more relevant in season events ......................


    Said Schottenheimer: “I told him on Monday when I saw him ... I thought he looked really good in that game. It was an option route on third down that he ran and he caught it. He put his right foot into the ground and just shot up the field and I was like 'wow.' So I think he’s feeling better now. I’m not worried about Doug. Doug is going to be fine. I think he’s starting to feel good and that’s good for us."

    ............ we have yet to see the best from the 2018 Seahawks receivers. Receivers are going to play better and better. Looking forward to Thursday night.

    So Hawks!
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 8003
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


  • rcaido wrote:I still think it was dumb of the Seahawks to get rid of Bennett. I watched that Eagles vs Cowboys game & he still has it. I really miss him. Imagine if we still had him this year.

    We need Green to step up big by the end of the season. Need to draft a big time pass rusher and let Clark go. Maybe two. Griffith has been in a sophomore slump, what happen to him. Might have to get another DB too.


    Just curious, why would you want to let Clark go if the goal is improving the pass rush? Would drafting a pass rusher while letting Clark leave not be a step back at worst and a push at best?
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2272
    Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 1:45 pm


  • kobebryant wrote:
    rcaido wrote:I still think it was dumb of the Seahawks to get rid of Bennett. I watched that Eagles vs Cowboys game & he still has it. I really miss him. Imagine if we still had him this year.

    We need Green to step up big by the end of the season. Need to draft a big time pass rusher and let Clark go. Maybe two. Griffith has been in a sophomore slump, what happen to him. Might have to get another DB too.


    Just curious, why would you want to let Clark go if the goal is improving the pass rush? Would drafting a pass rusher while letting Clark leave not be a step back at worst and a push at best?


    I would love to keep him but not 18mill+ Pete is pretty great with defense, im sure he can get a bargain on some veterans.
    User avatar
    rcaido
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 665
    Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:47 pm


  • rcaido wrote:I still think it was dumb of the Seahawks to get rid of Bennett. I watched that Eagles vs Cowboys game & he still has it. I really miss him. Imagine if we still had him this year.

    We need Green to step up big by the end of the season. Need to draft a big time pass rusher and let Clark go. Maybe two. Griffith has been in a sophomore slump, what happen to him. Might have to get another DB too.


    Yes if you have a deep D-line rotation where Bennett only has to play 40-50% of the snaps he can be effective.

    That's not here, for two straight years his effectiveness greatly diminished as the season wore on, and he wore out playing 80-90% of the snaps.

    Nothing's changed, he'd still be overused.....and for the cost and his nonsense it was time to move on and try to build the next young defense.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13784
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    rcaido wrote:I still think it was dumb of the Seahawks to get rid of Bennett. I watched that Eagles vs Cowboys game & he still has it. I really miss him. Imagine if we still had him this year.

    We need Green to step up big by the end of the season. Need to draft a big time pass rusher and let Clark go. Maybe two. Griffith has been in a sophomore slump, what happen to him. Might have to get another DB too.


    Yes if you have a deep D-line rotation where Bennett only has to play 40-50% of the snaps he can be effective.

    That's not here, for two straight years his effectiveness greatly diminished as the season wore on, and he wore out playing 80-90% of the snaps.

    Nothing's changed, he'd still be overused.....and for the cost and his nonsense it was time to move on and try to build the next young defense.


    Was waiting for this. I don't think people realize how fresh Bennett is now that he's not the main part of a team's defense anymore.
    2018 Adopt-a-rookie: Tre Flowers, CB
    User avatar
    jmahon316
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 176
    Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:59 pm


  • Bennett was injured last year & he still was pro bowl player. Giving up 5th round and still eat his 5million dead cap money wasn't worth it. Should have kept him for this season and let him walk the following. Maybe might gotten a comp pick too.

    Lets be real the real reason is not because of football reason why most of you didn't want him back.
    User avatar
    rcaido
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 665
    Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:47 pm


  • Sign37now wrote:I'd rather see some more pass rushers. We are giving QB's way too much time to carve us up...


    Completely agree!!!

    For me this is the biggest need.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5459
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


  • rcaido wrote:Bennett was injured last year & he still was pro bowl player. Giving up 5th round and still eat his 5million dead cap money wasn't worth it. Should have kept him for this season and let him walk the following. Maybe might gotten a comp pick too.

    Lets be real the real reason is not because of football reason why most of you didn't want him back.


    I would agree and pointed that out before we let him go. But on that last sentence, it was also those same "non football" reasons why Pete and John didn't want him here also or else he'd still be here.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5799
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • rcaido wrote:Bennett was injured last year & he still was pro bowl player. Giving up 5th round and still eat his 5million dead cap money wasn't worth it. Should have kept him for this season and let him walk the following. Maybe might gotten a comp pick too.

    Lets be real the real reason is not because of football reason why most of you didn't want him back.


    Most of us? You mean the entire organization.

    Of course Bennett could still help out our pass rush, but it was time to move on...from both his salary and his personality.

    He was ready to move on as well. Doesn't make sense to hold onto an expensive aging toxic player when you're trying to rebuild, get your cap right and jettison negative players to reinvigorate your locker room and culture.

    So yeah if we're assigning percentages as to why Bennett got traded? Probably 40% diminished production and 60% pain in the ass personality.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13784
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • seabowl wrote:I really hope this offseason that the team goes out and gets a WR that can consistently get separation. It seems Russ holds the ball too long at times but if you see what he sees many times there is just nobody open. I'm aware in the past that we have not been successful in free agency with WR's but it's clear we do not have a number 1 on the team. If we obtain a true number one, just think what this will not only do for Russ and the passing game but also the rushing attack.


    Yes, I agree with you seabowl, it would be nice. They're hard to come by and when they are successful, it cost a lot to keep. We drafted D-Jack in the second round and had a good run with him. Just somebody with good size or a rugged frame.

    I also see the need to get more pressure on there QB. We can create more pressure though the aggregate. Resign Clark and draft a good young LBer who is good at sacking Qbs. Like E.J. Ejiya or Germaine Pratt. Both are good LBer of size that can blitz the QB.

    Cheers
    SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS XLVIII 43-8

    Better to have a bottle in front of me,then a frontly lobotmy.
    User avatar
    Chawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2076
    Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:18 am
    Location: corner of 40th & plum


  • I think there are a fair number of WR options that should be available in the mid to late rounds in the coming draft. The top performing WR's of the season so far, excluding some juniors, smaller WR's. & some small schoolers are as follows.
    (** = Of possible interest to Seahawks, typically taller WR's to meet the need for one.)


    **WR-Antone Wesley, Texas Tech 6-5/200, 10-games, 78/1347/17.27-YPC/9-TD;s #163 @drafttek
    **WR-Andy Isabella, UMass, 5-9/186, 11-games, 87/1479/17.00-YPC/11-TD's #258 (slot-WR) @drafttek
    **WR-Kelvin Harmon (JR), NC State, 6-2/213, 9-games, 65/965/14.85-YPC/5-TD;s #23 @drafttek
    **WR-Preston Williams, CSU. 6-4/210, 10-games, 78/1020/13.08-YPC/9-TD's, NR @drafttek
    **WR-Marquise Brown, (JR), Okla. 5-11/165, 10-games, 53/956/18.04-YPC/8-TD's #62 (slot-WR) @drafttek
    **WR-Stanley Morgan, Nebraska, 6-0/195, 10-games, 59/856/14.51-YPC/7-TD;s #97 @drafttek
    **WR-J J Arcega-Whiteside, Stanford, 6-2/222, 9-games, 48/754/15.71-YPC/11-TD;s #18 @drafttek
    **WR-Jalen Hurd, 6-4/217, Baylor, 10-games, 62/837/13.50-YPC, 4-TD;s, NR @drafttek
    **WR-Anthony Johnson, Buffalo, 6-1/207, 9-games, 35/699/19.97-YPC/8-TD;s #167 @drafttek
    **WR-David Sills, W. Virginia, 6-3/203, 9-games, 49/697/14.22-YPC/12-TD's #100 @drafttek
    Stats Per: cfbstats.com

    Taller WR's (with lesser stats) in the coming draft that may be of Seahawk interest, especially later in draft.
    WR-Riley Ridley, Georgia, 6-2/200, #75 @drafttek
    WR-Jaylen Smith, Louisville, 6-3/219, #193 @drafttek
    WR-Bryan Edwards, So. Carolina, 6-2/205, #242 @drafttek
    WR-Juwan Johnson, Penn St., 6-3/226, #252 @drafttek
    WR-Felton Davis, Michigan St, 6-3/195, #261 @drafttek
    Among a few others.

    The WR "sleeper" in this bunch may very well be the 6-4/217 Baylor WR-Jalen Hurd, who sat out this last year after he switched positions (RB to WR) & schools (Tennessee & Baylor). The Baylor staff worked him out pretty extensively.
    Hurd squatted more than 500 pounds, ran the 40-yard dash consistently in the 4.4-second range, posted a 40-inch vertical jump and ran 20-yard shuttles of 3.8 and 3.9 seconds. For some context, as cited by Hayes, the best vertical jump at this year’s NFL Combine was 41.5 inches and the recent best at the combine in the 20-yard shuttle was 3.81.
    :smilingalien:
    Last edited by CamanoIslandJQ on Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    ------------------Rashaad Penny, the next great Seahawks RB.------------------
    User avatar
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1401
    Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:11 am
    Location: Camano Island, WA


  • rcaido wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:
    rcaido wrote:I still think it was dumb of the Seahawks to get rid of Bennett. I watched that Eagles vs Cowboys game & he still has it. I really miss him. Imagine if we still had him this year.

    We need Green to step up big by the end of the season. Need to draft a big time pass rusher and let Clark go. Maybe two. Griffith has been in a sophomore slump, what happen to him. Might have to get another DB too.


    Just curious, why would you want to let Clark go if the goal is improving the pass rush? Would drafting a pass rusher while letting Clark leave not be a step back at worst and a push at best?


    I would love to keep him but not 18mill+ Pete is pretty great with defense, im sure he can get a bargain on some veterans.

    If he could "get a bargain on some veterans", why hasn't it already happened for THIS season?
    I believe that because Teams all around the League are likely hanging onto the ones that are worth a shit.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6598
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • Taller doesn't cut it they have to be physical as well.

    **WR-Antone Wesley, Texas Tech 6-5/200, 10-games, 78/1347/17.27-YPC/9-TD;s #163 @drafttek

    Put another 30 pounds on him and were talking.


    **WR-Preston Williams, CSU. 6-4/210, 10-games, 78/1020/13.08-YPC/9-TD's, NR @drafttek


    Another 15 or 20 here.

    We have the other type of receiver's, the guys we keep missing on are these type but we need physical as well, not Ricardo Lockette's
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25369
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • LOL ..... So one can only assume that those who are compelled to talk on and on about college football and next years draft are desperate for more attention than what can be extracted solely from the dedicated "NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM" ...... amusing
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 8003
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


  • scutterhawk wrote:
    rcaido wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:
    rcaido wrote:I still think it was dumb of the Seahawks to get rid of Bennett. I watched that Eagles vs Cowboys game & he still has it. I really miss him. Imagine if we still had him this year.

    We need Green to step up big by the end of the season. Need to draft a big time pass rusher and let Clark go. Maybe two. Griffith has been in a sophomore slump, what happen to him. Might have to get another DB too.


    Just curious, why would you want to let Clark go if the goal is improving the pass rush? Would drafting a pass rusher while letting Clark leave not be a step back at worst and a push at best?


    I would love to keep him but not 18mill+ Pete is pretty great with defense, im sure he can get a bargain on some veterans.

    If he could "get a bargain on some veterans", why hasn't it already happened for THIS season?
    I believe that because Teams all around the League are likely hanging onto the ones that are worth a shit.


    We lost a lot of people & so much needs this season we had to replace our TE, OL, & WR. We address a bit of our defense with the draft & we did pick up Kendrick & Mingo on the cheap. With not signing Clark, they will have more money to play with this offseason.

    As for Bennett, its funny how people turned on him since he did the kneeling & Vegas incident. Funny how the media did the same...He was performing & calling him a toxic or locker room cancer without proof just give me reason to believe other reasons why. He did a lot for the community & for the team.
    User avatar
    rcaido
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 665
    Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:47 pm


  • A good WR that joins Seattle would be the worst decision in their carrer
    poly1274
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 273
    Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:13 pm


  • :roll:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10708
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • I just posted in the draft room on Preston Williams he is a jr but I'm sure he'd becomming out. I really like him,his blocking tuffness running with the ball,can clear out a zone, which translate to respect. Transfered from Tenn. He would be a great fit here. :les:
    Cheers
    SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS XLVIII 43-8

    Better to have a bottle in front of me,then a frontly lobotmy.
    User avatar
    Chawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2076
    Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:18 am
    Location: corner of 40th & plum


  • poly1274 wrote:A good WR that joins Seattle would be the worst decision in their carrer



    I disagree. Look at what the Saints are doing. Brees only throws for about 25 attempts a game, because he’s supplemented with a great rushing attack. And quite frankly, an Elite offensive coach. They added Michael Thomas to that through the draft and he’s a stud. Receivers love stats but they especially love touchdowns. And with Russ in the top 6 I believe in passing TDs so far that’s not terrible for a receiver. You’re talking top 3 offense if you can get it right
    User avatar
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 881
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:05 am


  • I have been saying since OTA that WR corp is our weak link. So far, Marshall was old and dropped balls, Baldwin is hurt, Lockette is good but not elite, Moore was a surprise but still green I am unsure of his ceiling. None of our TEs are great threat, Will surprised some but once DC game planned for him, he wasn't as effective and of course he is out of the season.

    We need ONE wr that demands double teaming, that plus our power run would be very hard to defend. Make that one big body WR.

    Contrary to some said big time WR won't like our system, I think he would. He might lack yardage and catches since we run a lot, but Wilson throw lots of TD passes and long bombs. both are good for highlights and stats.

    Go Hawks.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1320
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


  • toffee wrote:I have been saying since OTA that WR corp is our weak link. So far, Marshall was old and dropped balls, Baldwin is hurt, Lockette is good but not elite, Moore was a surprise but still green I am unsure of his ceiling. None of our TEs are great threat, Will surprised some but once DC game planned for him, he wasn't as effective and of course he is out of the season.

    We need ONE wr that demands double teaming, that plus our power run would be very hard to defend. Make that one big body WR.

    Contrary to some said big time WR won't like our system, I think he would. He might lack yardage and catches since we run a lot, but Wilson throw lots of TD passes and long bombs. both are good for highlights and stats.

    Go Hawks.


    Antonios Browns are expensive and don't grow on trees though. I would love someone at his level and dynamism but...I still don't think we'd get the same experience the Steelers do because commitment to a functional and complimentary passing game isn't something you just get with talent alone. We don't have the best history with FA and Trade acquisitions in the passing game and that isn't just Percy Harvin and Jimmy Graham being cursed froyos.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm


  • In the last 20 years name all of the big time Wide Receivers that won superbowls?

    I will save you the trouble. There aren't any.

    Randy Moss
    Calvin Johnson
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Antonio Brown
    Julio Jones
    TO
    etc.

    The QB and the scheme make the receiver not the other way around. The key is to find bargains at the position, and cross your fingers you can find a couple more in the draft and UDFA. Seattle has done this, I will point out what they need further down in the post.

    It is even more compounded by a team that wants to run it 40 times a game, and only throw it 25 times a game.

    A "Bigtime" receiver would be a misappropriation of funds.

    In general the bulk of the football team should be built through the draft. If you're going to allocate a big chunk of your cap in Free Agency then you want to spend it on the O-Line & D-Line. 300+ lb men who can move are extremely hard to find as there are not a lot of human beings walking the earth with this physical skill set. 260 lb physical freaks that rush off the edge are an extreme rarity as well.

    The game is won and lost upfront, especially with the style Pete wants to play. The O-Line currently is good enough, and still developing, the D-Line in contrast needs an infusion of ready now talent. They need to find the next Avril & Bennett, with Frank Clark playing the Chris Clemons role.

    Believe it or not, but the Seahawks have a good thing going right now. They just need to replenish their pass rush and they will be contenders again.

    The secondary is good, can be great with a better pass rush in front of it.
    Linebacker has a good mix of vets & youth.
    D-Line only has Clark & Reed w/Green & Ford being good prospects for the future. The biggest need on the team. IMO.

    QB
    RB
    TE
    WR
    OL

    I feel pretty good about the offense. Everyone who matters is back on offense next year except for Mike Davis (who is easily replaceable.) To go along with Sweezy & Fluker. Solari is doing a great job so it isn't the end of the world if they go with a younger guy at either spot if they are lost in UFA, though they should probably try and keep at least one of them.

    The offensive piece they need is a complimentary Golden Tate type of RAC receiver, not a big time receiver. People may hate bubble screens, and quick slants, but when Golden was on the team they would throw him 4-5 of these a game which are high %, and they would get good yards most of the time. Lockett can do this a little bit, but to me his true strength is being a savvy route runner down the field. Prosise could of been this type of player had they not wasted him for 3 years at runningback, the ship has sailed on him, but he had the type of skillset to fill that role.

    The good news is unlike a bigtime receiver that ends up going in the 1st round. RAC receivers can be had in the later 2nd - 3rd round. So Seattle could trade down in the 1st acquire more picks, take a pass rusher, and then grab a receiver that fits what Seattle needs better later in the draft.


    The team is half 2011 & half 2012 in terms of it's transition. They need pass rush to get over the top.
    User avatar
    Fade
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1924
    Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:26 am
    Location: Truth Ray


  • Agree with the prevailing sentiment that we need more pass rushers, particularly on the edge. Even in its prime the Seahawks defense struggled to get off the field whenever Cliff Avril was out. Someone said it above, we need someone in the Avril class to make Clark the 2nd best edge rusher on the team. The Dion Jordan experiment so far is not paying off, and Mingo isn't doing much as a situational pass rusher. It was a big mistake passing on TJ Watt two drafts ago. This offseason the bulk of the draft capital should be spent on edge rushers. A top 3-tech or combo end would be nice, but Reed is showing a lot of improvement in his pass rush, Jefferson might be a legit NFL player, and Green clearly has talent (I think it was expected this would be a redshirt season for him).
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1040
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:11 pm




It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:46 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information