Defense

tersal

Reaction score
Hey team,

Iam really excited about the defense. They are young and will get better. Green and Martin are getting playing time and producing Jordan may wind up as the odd man out. Shame has athleticism however not much use if always injured. Nazir Jones seems odd man out at defensive tackle I liked him the coaches seem to like other guys. However Clark and Reed are going to lead this young group to great things. the secondary is young but looks to have the right stuff shame Earl will not serve as the senior leader. However McDougal is doing well in that role. This group is going to doe very well. Of course at linebacker we still have Bobby and KJ two of the best. Look for this defense to emerge as elite.

King Dog

Reaction score
I think we need to re-up Fluker and Sweezy on O and draft defense this year. I'll be interested to see if they sign Kendricks on the cheap and let KJ walk.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Run defense was good and they did sack Rodgers 5 times but disappointed in the pass defense. Randall Cobb was out, Graham got injured, and they still got 311 yards passing on the Seahawks. The breaker was a 4th string, PS TE getting behind the defense for a deep TD. Unacceptable. LB play has been atrocious. They have not been playing well defensively (secondary and middle) since the Chargers game. Furthermore, they are not forcing turnovers as they were earlier in the year. They can and need to be better.

King Dog

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3jckhzag said:
Run defense was good and they did sack Rodgers 5 times but disappointed in the pass defense. Randall Cobb was out, Graham got injured, and they still got 311 yards passing on the Seahawks. The breaker was a 4th string, PS TE getting behind the defense for a deep TD. Unacceptable. LB play has been atrocious. They have not been playing well defensively (secondary and middle) since the Chargers game. They can and need to be better.

I agree, but not surprising with no Bennett, Avril, Kam, KJ, Thomas, Sherman, Richardson. Wow, what a turnover.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1gffl7o6 said:
Run defense was good and they did sack Rodgers 5 times but disappointed in the pass defense. Randall Cobb was out, Graham got injured, and they still got 311 yards passing on the Seahawks. The breaker was a 4th string, PS TE getting behind the defense for a deep TD. Unacceptable. LB play has been atrocious. They have not been playing well defensively (secondary and middle) since the Chargers game. Furthermore, they are not forcing turnovers as they were earlier in the year. They can and need to be better.

3 points in the second half

5 sacks.

Rodgers looked like trash with nowhere to throw the ball in the 2nd half.

They struggled at times in the fist half, but that second half from the front 7 all the way back was pure gold.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
King Dog":2ev7untg said:
hawkfan68":2ev7untg said:
Run defense was good and they did sack Rodgers 5 times but disappointed in the pass defense. Randall Cobb was out, Graham got injured, and they still got 311 yards passing on the Seahawks. The breaker was a 4th string, PS TE getting behind the defense for a deep TD. Unacceptable. LB play has been atrocious. They have not been playing well defensively (secondary and middle) since the Chargers game. They can and need to be better.

I agree, but not surprising with no Bennett, Avril, Kam, KJ, Thomas, Sherman, Richardson. Wow, what a turnover.
They were playing much better without those guys prior to the Chargers game. Since then they have been playing poor defensively (that has been since KJ Wright has come back). Losing Thomas and Kendricks has brought the defense down a few notches.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to think of this defense. I only they're young and hungry for the most part, but the linebackers and the secondary are WEAK! Bobby isn't the Bobby we've been accustomed to. The same goes for KJ, although he just recently retired from a forever long absence due to his knee. I never thought I'd say this, but Kendricks is what this LB group is missing. He was a force.

But what I'm really worried about is the progress, or lack thereof of Shaquill. He's been so bad this year. The defense has been eaten alive by the deep in routes lately, and it seems Shaq is always the culprit. The one that stands out the most is the big gauger that Woods had last week. Shaq backpedaled with Woods deep into the route and let him cut in freely. Was that by design? I'm not sure. I thought that the Chicago game was a big step up for him when he had those two picks. He actually turned his head and played the ball. I feel like I haven't seen him turn his head since then. And that was a big problem for him last year, too.

Flowers is still extremely raw, but that's too be expected since CB is an entirely new position for him. Considering the circumstances, he have been that bad.

IMO, Shaquill is the weakest link of this defense, and it's not even close.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":2ys67cox said:

worse than Tedrick Tompson?

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
sdog1981":bl2f1429 said:
Thepeelsessions":bl2f1429 said:

worse than Tedrick Tompson?
I like what Tedric is doing. He's raw as well, but he's come up big at times. Plus, he has some serious lumber behind his hits. Unlike Shaq, we don't have an extended body of work to tell if he's progressing.

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, there have been some problems, but we've been playing the best QBs in our generation over the last few weeks.

I think I might give them a bit of a pass. ;)

hawks85

Reaction score
hawkfan68":41utvcqn said:
Meh...I see what your saying BUT its Rodgers. The guy is a elite SB champion and future hall of famer. I would worry if it was a back up QB.

calinator

Reaction score
I like Kendricks and want him back. I'm a big Wagner fan and i'd say give him a chance next year, his injury is probably still hindering him this year and i'm worried he might aggravate it. What is sad is now that I think about it if we had ET and the Seahawks played similarly against the Rams and Chargers we could be 8-2 and not 5-5. He could have been the tipping point.

I agree about being worried about the progression of some of these young players. The secondary hasn't looked good and we have no pass rush. I like where the offense sits right now a lot actually. It seems like we have all the pieces in place for the future but I still hate Ifedi and am sad we lost Dissly. All they need to do is draft well and get some diamonds in free agency for defense and they could be on the right track.

Jville

Reaction score
Next Gen presentations on the two big play passes referenced by previous above posts ...............

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1063281607019180032[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1063253390405197825[/tweet]

The two worst case explosive outcomes out of the 49 defensive plays.

Bobby Wagner denied a deep pass to Davante Adams. A long time and distance to cover. Probably didn't get enough mention.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1063525240968425472[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1063527698599837696[/tweet]

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
IMO, Bobby is still playing at a high level. I think KJ will too, but still needs a little more time to recover from injuries. I suspect hes playing banged up. I believe our secondary is weak at the moment, young and learning. It looks to me like Shaquil hasn't quite got a grasp on where and when he needs to be, seems like he is always a little out of place. Hopefully it's just a little bit of a Sophmore slump and he will continue improving.

Tinymac2

Reaction score
It was nice to play GB without anyone jumping offsides a couple of times. I always hated giving Rogers a free play.

justafan

Reaction score
sutz":322wkjnt said:
Yeah, there have been some problems, but we've been playing the best QBs in our generation over the last few weeks.

I think I might give them a bit of a pass. ;)

I agree. We they have been tested early. I have been critical about the talent level but maybe these young guys will develop.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Couple things that I liked last night. Coleman played like a beast against the Packers WR screens. Thought he didn't really have a great game against the Rams but last night he balled out.

Our two rookie LB's might be our future starters. Martin is looking like he can play in Avril's position and produce. Calitro has been filling in great for KJ. As much as I hate to say it but Wright may be on his way out. Only worry is I hope both rooks are not over achieving.

Edit: Guess Calitro is a sophomore not a rookie. Still young though.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Martin, Calitro, Green, Jordan, Jackson, Ford, Jones, and Thompson are all playing at replacement level right now. There's not a single one of them that wouldn't be readily supplanted by a veteran signing, a first-round draft pick, or a Kam-type late round gem.

Sure, they lay the wood...in between plays in which they totally misdiagnose things and get out of position. Jordan Babineaux Part Deux. They're especially bad first half. They've done a much better job cleaning up in the second, but their first half problems are leading to a lot of attrition.

Can they improve? Possibly. But they need to, quickly. Otherwise, if this team goes to the Super Bowl in 2019, the pieces on defense that will enable that run probably are not all on the team yet.