Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Russ has regressed as a QB

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:51 am
  • Russ has been the biggest piece to the Carol era resurgence of the Hawks. No doubt in my mind. With this said it looks like he has regressed in a number of areas as a qb the last few years.

    Reads
    Deep throws
    Timing
    Scrambling

    Would I get rid of him. Absolutely not!!! However, whether it's his new life (family) or something else, he IMO has failed to progress into the QB he should be based on his skill set. Maybe he needs a different QB coach or something but whatever he's doing now, it is not working and taking advantage of his potential. Three years ago I would have said he's great and only going to get better. It just hasn't happened and frankly he's regressed.

    Thoughts?
    seabowl
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2488
    Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:20 am


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:57 am
  • Russell Wilson 21/31 225 7.3 2 0 3-20 67.3 110.3


    I believe these are damned good number.
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*
     
    Posts: 2135
    Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:43 pm
    Location: NC


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:17 am
  • His stats says otherwise.

    His 66 percent completion rate, 7.96 yards per attempt and 4.2 touchdown-to-interception ratio are all easily his best marks since 2015, while his 110.2 passer rating barely tops his career best from that season. After curiously struggling in the first halves of games last year, posting a completion rate of 59.6 percent and a passer rating of 78, those numbers have improved to 70.7 percent and 124.3, respectively. He's also been better on deep throws compared to last season, with his completion rate on attempts traveling at least 20 air yards going from 37.6 to 48.4. His passer rating on such throws has gone from 100.6 to 120.6.



    http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahaw ... -with-less
    SkyHawks16
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 94
    Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:04 pm


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:17 am
  • Regressed?

    In 2016 and 2017 Wilson's combined statline against GB:

    36/66, 398 yards, 1 TD, 5 interceptions. Passer rating of 46.1
    1 fumble lost, 59 yards rushing

    Last night, 21/31, 225 yards, 2 TDs, 0 interceptions. Passer rating of 110.3. 0 fumbles, 17 yards rushing. Not to mention a PI penalty for 50 yards on top of that.

    That to me looks like progress. Not regression.
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3397
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:47 am
  • Yes, he was pretty poor early, but he turned it around. Now Aaron on the other hand was brutal in the 4th. I'll take the former.
    User avatar
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5519
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:04 pm


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:00 am
  • There are certainly a couple of things hes not doing as well... getting rid of the ball and not taking a sack as well as the read option probably the most glaring.

    I also think that hes been coached into those decisions, for whatever reason.

    But still... hes not regressed.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13879
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:01 am
  • Regressed? No. Actually having a running game and not having to carry the offense on his back like last season? Yes.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

    Image
    User avatar
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2610
    Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:26 am


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:20 am
  • Two seasons ago he led the team in rushing just shy of 1000 yards and you weren’t happy with his performance. Last season he was 97% of our offensive production and you blamed him. This season we have a new OL coach and a new offense and play caller. Our offensive line and running game have improved so that Russell doesn’t have to do it all by himself. He is operating as instructed in the offense and you are still pissed.
    User avatar
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4170
    Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:50 am


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:23 am
  • brimsalabim wrote:Two seasons ago he led the team in rushing just shy of 1000 yards and you weren’t happy with his performance. Last season he was 97% of our offensive production and you blamed him. This season we have a new OL coach and a new offense and play caller. Our offensive line and running game have improved so that Russell doesn’t have to do it all by himself. He is operating as instructed in the offense and you are still pissed.


    This. GO HAWKS
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

    Image
    User avatar
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2610
    Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:26 am


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:28 am
  • Regresses. Hahahaha. It is amazing how people can't see the obvious. Russ is elite and playing fine. People for some reason love to cherry pick his mistakes instead of looking at him as a whole. He or any other elite quarterback is not perfect. I am sure if you watched those other "elite" quarterbacks as much as you do Russ then you would fins just as many faults.
    User avatar
    Year of The Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1062
    Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:18 am


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:38 am
  • Year of The Hawk wrote:Regresses. Hahahaha. It is amazing how people can't see the obvious. Russ is elite and playing fine. People for some reason love to cherry pick his mistakes instead of looking at him as a whole. He or any other elite quarterback is not perfect. I am sure if you watched those other "elite" quarterbacks as much as you do Russ then you would fins just as many faults.


    How would one actually define regressing? Since he's #2 on the career Passer Rating List, even if he does regress, he's still damned good. He already has 23 TD passes (3 less than the superbowl run) and is on track to toss over 30 again. He's only thrown 5 INTs and is a LEADER.

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... career.htm
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

    Image
    User avatar
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2610
    Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:26 am


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:55 am
  • I love how even after a game in which he played well and led a game-winning drive the only posts you see on this site are still about how bad he sucks. I think at this point this fanbase almost deserves 10+ years of QB incompetence like the Bills or Jets just to add some perspective. Then again, those same fans like the OP will bail at the first sign of true adversity.

    Also, here's a little tidbit I found on reddit last night after the game:

    "Rodgers' has been doing this for years and its a big reason I've defended McCarthy (to an extent). Rodgers frequently and consistently ignores the easy throws his offense gives him to freelance. No one is willing and/or able to get him to just move the chains when he needs to at times. Easily his biggest fault as a QB."

    It's filled with Packer fans complaining about how Rodgers, arguably the best pure QB of all time, is flawed and costing the team games. Imagine that! Players aren't perfect! They struggle and have bad games sometimes where they throw for fewer than 500 yards and 7 TDs. Our fanbase needs to pull its head out of its ass.
    ducks41468
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 332
    Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:41 pm


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:05 am
  • I don’t know where all of this is coming from. And quite frankly I don’t care because everyone has the right to voice there opinion.

    But, I still have to ask where is this hate coming from?

    History lesson-
    Russ had a rough game against the very same Packers team in the NFC Championship game. He had, what, 5 interceptions, but no one focused on that. They focused on how he showed poise, grit, didn’t give up. In fact no one from the team, players, coaches, and fans gave up.

    Fast forward to yesterday-
    He struggled, but at the end he made clutch plays including the go ahead TD pass to Dickson. We won despite those mistakes which tells me, the team is All In. They Buy In.

    Is it bacause Russ is going to get a big pay day? Is it because of Sherm or MB’s comments? Is it ET giving the Hawks a big FYou? If you have issues with RW getting a big pay day....oh well but this team is turning the page from disgruntled players to a young, hungry team.
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 777
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:55 pm


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:06 am
  • SO, someone came to the conclusion that Russ has regressed as a QB after last night's game against the Packers. That someone would have no choice but to also conclude that Aaron is a shelf of his former self??? After all, Aaron was holding the ball too long, got sacked 5 times, and missed open receivers.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1322
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:15 am
  • These are getting old. I get it, everyone entitled to their opinion ect... but we are not the Saints or Rams, our entire offensive philosophy (pete) is conservative with about 8 choice haymaker plays mixed in. Sometimes Russ hits 7/8 of those (he's very good at it), sometimes he doesn't. There are FAR less opportunities in our offense for rockstar numbers. But Russ is one of the most efficient QB's, perfect passer rating this year in a game, etc. It is Pete's offense.

    On top of all of this the main culprit is new OC, Russ is being coached to do new more advanced (uncomfortable) things, there is a new style, and new gameday playcalling. I think the more accurate statement is over the last 4-5 years Russ HAD regressed or was a stagnant in his development (just doing what was asked of him). Now I think what we're all witnessing is growth, he's a little uncomfortable, which is good in the long run because he will WORK, but this process include some misses\wtf's as he improves, he will improve. This year is very fun, but it's probably not a deep playoff run, next year has the potential to be VERY fun imo. I've never played qb but imagine things move kinda fast, he'll get there because he has the talent and he will outwork you, right now he's still doing a helluva job with all that's going on around him and with what's being asked of him.
    User avatar
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1568
    Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:22 pm


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:21 am
  • The only thing that brothers me about Russ is the spinoroma drop back into the sack fumble! That drives me crazy! He has his off games and his on games I'm glad he's on our side tho! That pass to David Moore was a beauty right on the money!
    The office of Thomas and Chancellor specializing in Defense.
    User avatar
    thegreeninyoureye
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 786
    Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:47 pm


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:21 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:There are certainly a couple of things hes not doing as well... getting rid of the ball and not taking a sack as well as the read option probably the most glaring.

    I also think that hes been coached into those decisions, for whatever reason.

    But still... hes not regressed.

    Si nailed it!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24061
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:49 am
  • I don't think Russ has regressed. However, there have been a number of wide open throws that he has missed, which is uncharacteristic of him. I always had faith in Russ' accuracy, but now I get a little uneasy when he throws because it's a crap shoot to see if he connects or not.

    Again, don't think he's regressed, but he needs to get better with his accuracy.
    GLio14
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 167
    Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:44 pm


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:52 am
  • Didn’t Aaron Rodgers get sacked 4 times holding onto the ball too long? But he also made 2 spectacular throws by being patient. Wilson isn’t much different. Yet Rodgers is elite and Wilson a game manager.

    Grass is always greener fans with no perspective drive me nuts.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 620
    Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:12 am


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:55 am
  • Regressed? No. He still struggles with the same frustrating things that he has always struggled with (primarily early game overthrows and deep ball underthrows), but he certainly hasn't regressed. The only area I might say that his game is not as good as it used to be is in the speed to escape the pass rush, but I'm not convinced that is as much Russ losing speed as it is defenses having learned and adjusted to his tendencies.

    If Russ is regressing, why are the Seahawks currently sitting right at 71% for red zone TD percentage this year? 2017 it was 55.5% 2016 it was 48%, 2015 - 55%, 2014 - 52%, 2013 - 53%, and 2012 - 54%. I know that is a team stat, and heavily influenced by having a better offensive line this year, but the eye test says that Russ has really started to master the red zone in a way he has really struggled with in the past.
    hawks85 wrote:Seattle played like crap today. It’s over 5-6.


    Fire Tom Cable

    Still can't believe we let Alex Collins go
    User avatar
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2360
    Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:27 am
    Location: Kalispell, MT


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:26 am
  • Russ was again brutal in the first half, but was all world in the second.. Sounds a lot like the "old" russ to me. IN fact this year, he's been missing those drives to win it... so it's a curious time to bring that up.
    Image

    "We all we got, we all we need"
    User avatar
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2143
    Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:00 pm


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:42 am
  • Actually, I'd say Russ is getting better. After two years or more of running for his life 2 seconds after the snap, he's finally getting some time to set up and throw. He's getting time to actually look at the field and learn some defensive formations and schemes.

    It took him a few throws to shake off the jitters and all, but it was a damn good game IMHO.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 15500
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:49 am
  • Mad Dog wrote:Didn’t Aaron Rodgers get sacked 4 times holding onto the ball too long? But he also made 2 spectacular throws by being patient. Wilson isn’t much different. Yet Rodgers is elite and Wilson a game manager.

    Grass is always greener fans with no perspective drive me nuts.


    Exactly!!

    Arron Rodgers has regressed! Held onto the ball too long on 3 of his 5 sacks, those were on him.
    He also bounced that last air ball whiff on their last possession that cost them the game. Trade Rodgers!!

    See how dumb that sounds even though those things did happen??

    Look, I'm not sure why Wilson is having these 3-4 bad uncharacteristic plays a game several times this year, but what I do know is he is not alone. We are not used to seeing this, but it happens to every QB out there. I think he is just uncomfortable at times out there because of the 7 years bad habits of being Cables "beat like a red headed step child" syndrome he had to deal with.
    Last edited by Seymour on Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5799
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:52 am
  • Russ is among the top 6 QBs in the league. Put him on a team with a decent O-line and you'd see the difference immediately.

    He had a few bad throws early on last night, but so did future HOF'er Aaron Rodgers.

    Given he's only 29, I'd take Russ over almost anyone in the league. Brady, Rodgers, Ben and Brees are better QBs, but they're also really old.

    Given the OC talent over Russ through most of his career, it is amazing how well he's performed. Look at how Matt Ryan and Carson Wentz regressed when their OC's departed.

    We are very lucky to have Russ. I wish more of you would recognize this.
    Tusc2000
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 215
    Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:33 am


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:55 am
  • These posts are tiresome... I guess a lot of these 'fans' never got to see the stellar play of Dan McGwire, Stan Gelbaugh, Kelly Stouffer, Charlie Whitehurst, Trent Dilfer, Tarvaris Jackson, etc, etc... This decade is literally the best Seahawk's football has ever been! And yet, we still have 'fans' complaining weekly about the best Seahawk's QB ever!
    User avatar
    Wartooth
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1185
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:29 pm


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:57 am
  • Wartooth wrote:These posts are tiresome... I guess a lot of these 'fans' never got to see the stellar play of Dan McGwire, Stan Gelbaugh, Kelly Stouffer, Charlie Whitehurst, Trent Dilfer, Tarvaris Jackson, etc, etc... This decade is literally the best Seahawk's football has ever been! And yet, we still have 'fans' complaining weekly about the best Seahawk's QB ever!

    You misspelled "weakly." :twisted:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 15500
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:02 am
  • Tusc2000 wrote:Russ is among the top 6 QBs in the league. Put him on a team with a decent O-line and you'd see the difference immediately.

    He had a few bad throws early on last night, but so did future HOF'er Aaron Rodgers.

    Given he's only 29, I'd take Russ over almost anyone in the league. Brady, Rodgers, Ben and Brees are better QBs, but they're also really old.

    Given the OC talent over Russ through most of his career, it is amazing how well he's performed. Look at how Matt Ryan and Carson Wentz regressed when their OC's departed.

    We are very lucky to have Russ. I wish more of you would recognize this.


    I do.

    I just wish we weren't sitting at 5-5. We're there because of him, largely. The defense has done their part. They've been absolutely shutdown in the second half of the last three games, giving Rodgers, Rivers, and Goff very little room to produce and giving Wilson every chance to score, and he isn't consistent at doing it. It's had just as much an impact on our standings as his stats.

    Wilson is amazing. And he needs to play even better.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16130
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:25 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Tusc2000 wrote:Russ is among the top 6 QBs in the league. Put him on a team with a decent O-line and you'd see the difference immediately.

    He had a few bad throws early on last night, but so did future HOF'er Aaron Rodgers.

    Given he's only 29, I'd take Russ over almost anyone in the league. Brady, Rodgers, Ben and Brees are better QBs, but they're also really old.

    Given the OC talent over Russ through most of his career, it is amazing how well he's performed. Look at how Matt Ryan and Carson Wentz regressed when their OC's departed.

    We are very lucky to have Russ. I wish more of you would recognize this.


    I do.

    I just wish we weren't sitting at 5-5. We're there because of him, largely. The defense has done their part. They've been absolutely shutdown in the second half of the last three games, giving Rodgers, Rivers, and Goff very little room to produce and giving Wilson every chance to score, and he isn't consistent at doing it. It's had just as much an impact on our standings as his stats.

    Wilson is amazing. And he needs to play even better.


    Correction.....THEY are not consistent at doing it.
    Some is on Wilson, and there are several other factors. 5 pre snap penalties and Ifedi falling back to his old ways is not exactly helping the guy either. Baldwin disappearing until the last 2 games is yet another issue this season.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5799
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:28 am
  • Has Russell Regressed? ......Don't think so.

    Although, it has been pointed out many occasions that there is typically a great deal of variance from game to game, quarter to quarter, possession to possession. That variance remains. It's an integral part of the make up of Russell Wilson entertainment. No need to go looking for ghosts.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 8003
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:31 am
  • Baldwin disappearing until the last 2 games is yet another issue this season.


    Doug Baldwin is back baby!

    Baby Back Baldwin is going to surprise and impress in the remaining games of the season.
    User avatar
    Palmegranite
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 396
    Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:53 am


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:32 am
  • Another negative thread, even after a win. Awesome. And people say I overreact on here. Just completely over the top and unnecessary

    Pete told Russ to calm down. Was he hyper? Nervous? Probably. After that Russ looked like himself
    User avatar
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 881
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:05 am


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:33 am
  • As the great Dennis Green once said, he is who we thought he was.

    That's Russell. He hasn't regressed, he is who he's always been..............a QB that looks shaky in 80% of first halves and needs to get into rhythm and tempo gaining confidence as the game wears on.

    Exactly what we saw last night. Lots of over and underthrows in the first half not looking very good. Then much better in the 2nd half.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13784
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:41 am
  • We are spoiled freaking brats. We have a franchise Quarterback. What that means is that we have to live through the good and the bad that every QB has. There's really no point in even talking about regression unless you're wanting to move on. All Quarterbacks make mistakes. Aaron Rodgers failed to do last night, what Russell Wilson was asked to do EVERY GAME last year--which is win it by himself. Some of you want Drew Brees. Brees is 10 years older and wiser--let Russ get there. I can't understand or fathom wanting another QB on this team. You would take Mahomes because he's young and cheap, not because he's giving you anything Russell Wilson hasn't already given you.

    The grass is pretty green on this side.
    Image
    User avatar
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3451
    Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:09 am
    Location: Omaha, NE


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:01 am
  • WilliamCooper wrote:I'd take Ryan Fitzpatrick over Wilson. I’m not even joking.

    Image
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise, Quill Griffin
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava, Jordan Roos
    User avatar
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2654
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:04 am
  • seabowl wrote:Russ has been the biggest piece to the Carol era resurgence of the Hawks. No doubt in my mind. With this said it looks like he has regressed in a number of areas as a qb the last few years.

    Reads
    Deep throws
    Timing
    Scrambling

    Would I get rid of him. Absolutely not!!! However, whether it's his new life (family) or something else, he IMO has failed to progress into the QB he should be based on his skill set. Maybe he needs a different QB coach or something but whatever he's doing now, it is not working and taking advantage of his potential. Three years ago I would have said he's great and only going to get better. It just hasn't happened and frankly he's regressed.

    Thoughts?


    I was struck last night by how similar both RW and Rodgers seemed to struggle with finding targets and hucking the ball at them.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:10 am
  • I've been critical of Wilson at times this year but his numbers are good . Regressed no adapting to a new OC and some new players and concepts yes. I thought Wilson was at his best last night he was awesome.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1097
    Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:10 pm


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:10 am
  • You guys keep using the word "progression."

    Progression means more than just what you're seeing on the field and stats. Russell has progressed at reading defenses, moving people around, understanding scheme concepts............and this has resulted in Pete trusting him much more with changing plays at the line and audibles.

    Saw that last night with the Dickson TD, that was all Russell seeing GB blitzing, checked to a quick seam and Dickson ran it perfectly.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13784
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:30 am
  • I think the one thing that has regressed is this fan base.
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1826
    Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:06 pm
    Location: Spokane


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:32 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:As the great Dennis Green once said, he is who we thought he was.

    That's Russell. He hasn't regressed, he is who he's always been..............a QB that looks shaky in 80% of first halves and needs to get into rhythm and tempo gaining confidence as the game wears on.

    Exactly what we saw last night. Lots of over and underthrows in the first half not looking very good. Then much better in the 2nd half.


    More exaggerated BS on Wilson. 80% of entire first half? Wrong!

    10-11 in the 2nd quarter yesterday just for starters. :pukeface:
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5799
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:40 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:As the great Dennis Green once said, he is who we thought he was.

    That's Russell. He hasn't regressed, he is who he's always been..............a QB that looks shaky in 80% of first halves and needs to get into rhythm and tempo gaining confidence as the game wears on.

    Exactly what we saw last night. Lots of over and underthrows in the first half not looking very good. Then much better in the 2nd half.


    More exaggerated BS on Wilson. 80% of entire first half? Wrong!

    10-11 in the 2nd quarter yesterday just for starters. :pukeface:


    Last year Russell's completion percentage was a full 10% lower in the first half than 2nd, and he threw 6 first half TD's, compared to 26 in the 2nd half.

    If you can't see that Russell is far sharper and accurate in the 2nd halves of games then he is in the 1st halves, then I don't know what the hell you're watching Seymour.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13784
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:44 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:As the great Dennis Green once said, he is who we thought he was.

    That's Russell. He hasn't regressed, he is who he's always been..............a QB that looks shaky in 80% of first halves and needs to get into rhythm and tempo gaining confidence as the game wears on.

    Exactly what we saw last night. Lots of over and underthrows in the first half not looking very good. Then much better in the 2nd half.


    More exaggerated BS on Wilson. 80% of entire first half? Wrong!

    10-11 in the 2nd quarter yesterday just for starters. :pukeface:


    Certainly you can see the difference in wilson from half to half.

    Its not as significant this year as last. I think thats the run game impact.

    But last year? Watching first halfs was painful
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13879
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:05 am
  • KARAVARUS wrote:We are spoiled freaking brats. We have a franchise Quarterback. What that means is that we have to live through the good and the bad that every QB has. There's really no point in even talking about regression unless you're wanting to move on. All Quarterbacks make mistakes. Aaron Rodgers failed to do last night, what Russell Wilson was asked to do EVERY GAME last year--which is win it by himself. Some of you want Drew Brees. Brees is 10 years older and wiser--let Russ get there. I can't understand or fathom wanting another QB on this team. You would take Mahomes because he's young and cheap, not because he's giving you anything Russell Wilson hasn't already given you.

    The grass is pretty green on this side.



    Not spoiled, just petty :sarcasm_off:


    Fox Sports did an article last year Januar pointing out that Aaron Rodgers is 0-35 when trailing by at least 1 point in the 4th quarter. What's his record by now?? 0-36? 0-37? 1-37?

    Aaron Rodgers has a LOSING record on the road in his career. Worst than notable starting Qbs in the past decade. And yet, everyone in media(except for Cowherd and Skip Bayless) this morning were giving him a pass. No criticism at all. Last night Troy Aikman was saying "Russell has to get rid of the ball there!!". But Aikman didn't bring the same negative energy when Rodgers, as he always does took a number of dumb sacks while holding the ball. Russ gets a lot of lopsided, nitpicking scrutiny not only from fans, but even in moments from the media. It's kind of irritating and yes, it matters. Complete BS

    The guy is in a new system. He's asked to do things he hasn't done in 7 years. Most fans consider this to be a rebuilding year. Instead of acknowledging that, and giving Russ the kind of pass other QBs have gotten...allowing him to find himself in Schotty's imperfect offense...all I see is negative thread. After negative thread...after negative thread. It's pitiful. None of our losses were strictly on Russ. He is the reason we believe we can win on Sundays
    User avatar
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 881
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:05 am


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:08 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:As the great Dennis Green once said, he is who we thought he was.

    That's Russell. He hasn't regressed, he is who he's always been..............a QB that looks shaky in 80% of first halves and needs to get into rhythm and tempo gaining confidence as the game wears on.

    Exactly what we saw last night. Lots of over and underthrows in the first half not looking very good. Then much better in the 2nd half.


    More exaggerated BS on Wilson. 80% of entire first half? Wrong!

    10-11 in the 2nd quarter yesterday just for starters. :pukeface:


    Certainly you can see the difference in wilson from half to half.

    Its not as significant this year as last. I think thats the run game impact.

    But last year? Watching first halfs was painful


    Sure I can. But this is exaggerated after that game where he was 10-11 in the 2nd Q. :177692:

    I just dislike people stating GARBAGE that is no longer true.

    Wilson is BETTER in the first half this year. That post is just wrong!!

    In fact all his interceptions are 2nd half trying to do too much.
    Attachments
    Wilson-1vs2.jpg
    Wilson-1vs2.jpg (51.39 KiB) Viewed 913 times
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5799
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:25 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    Sure I can. But this is exaggerated after that game where he was 10-11 in the 2nd Q. :177692:.


    Sure, why use Russell's entire seven year career, or entire last full season when you can cherrypick one quarter of one game this year.

    lol, good stuff Seymour.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13784
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:31 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Sure I can. But this is exaggerated after that game where he was 10-11 in the 2nd Q. :177692:.


    Sure, why use Russell's entire seven year career, or entire last full season when you can cherrypick one quarter of one game this year.

    lol, good stuff Seymour.


    Not Cherry Picking. I just posted his SEASON stats by half for Christ sakes. :roll:

    Here is quarter by quarter for Wilson in 2018. Do some homework, or try to remember what you just watched (in 2018) how bout??

    His highest passer rating is 2nd quarter FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON, and by a bunch!!! 75% compl. and 129 passer rating
    Attachments
    Wilson-QvsQ.jpg
    Wilson-QvsQ.jpg (73.92 KiB) Viewed 863 times
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5799
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:42 am
  • Russell Wilson has regressed a lot athletically, he is no longer Fran Tarkenton. A lot of his sacks are coming from him thinking he still is Fran Tarkenton. He needs to adjust there. He took two sacks he shouldn't have, and caught a tipped pass he shouldn't have that the young Russ would of got away with. He needs to fix this and adjust.


    Despite this though Wilson is finding a way to perform. I honestly can't bitch about these numbers.

    66.2% - 2nd highest of his career (2015)

    37 TDs - On pace for a new career high.

    8 INTs - On pace for single digit interceptions once again, which would be the 4th time in his first 7 seasons. Not a lot of QBs have done that.

    3507 yards - Middle of the pack for his career. A couple of big games down the stretch though and it will spike his numbers. He has 6 more games to do that. In the end though it is irrelevant if they keep running the ball the way they are.

    110.2 Passer Rating - Would be a new career high.


    66.2% | 37 TDs | 8 INTs | 3507 yds | 110.2 Rating



    That is excellent production for a QB playing in a run first system. Historically it may be one of the best ever. How do you throw for 37 TDs in a run first system? Aaron Rodgers holds the single season TD% record at 9%. Russell's 2018 is 2nd at 8.5% of All-Time.


    People need to chill the hell out with Russell Wilson. The focus needs to be on the defense. It is a defensive focused team, and they will not be championship contenders again until they consistently play at a championship level on that side of the ball. {They did in the 2nd half last night.)
    User avatar
    Fade
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1926
    Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:26 am
    Location: Truth Ray


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:48 am
  • Good Post Fade!

    I was disappointed with his play early in the game in terms of his decisions and his accuracy and thought he was off his game. Catching that tipped ball was just dumb and he should have just dropped it or knocked it down.

    He played pretty well in the 2nd half, in fact better than Rodgers did.

    Wilson's running from scrimmage has regressed but he has improved in other areas. However, at times his accuracy seems to be typically weak to begin a game and improves as the game goes on. It'd be nice to see him make quicker decisions because at times he holds the ball too long or is overly cautious.
    Last edited by jammerhawk on Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5459
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:50 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Sure I can. But this is exaggerated after that game where he was 10-11 in the 2nd Q. :177692:.


    Sure, why use Russell's entire seven year career, or entire last full season when you can cherrypick one quarter of one game this year.

    lol, good stuff Seymour.


    Not Cherry Picking. I just posted his SEASON stats by half for Christ sakes. :roll:

    Here is quarter by quarter for Wilson in 2018. Do some homework, or try to remember what you just watched (in 2018) how bout??

    His highest passer rating is 2nd quarter FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON, and by a bunch!!! 75% compl. and 129 passer rating



    So all of a sudden he's an amazing first half passer. Did you not see the first quarter last night where he under and overthrew everyone in sight, including a wide open TD to Doug?

    My statement isn't false because of half a year, or half a game. Russell's always had a much harder time getting in rhythm and tempo in the first half.

    If you think he's miraculously different now, then that's great, but IMO he's always been the same type of QB, and he will continue to struggle more in the first half than second halves of games.......as he showed in the first quarter last night vs 2nd half.

    Which is my entire point, he hasn't regressed, he's played the same as he always has......it's just his margin for error is MUCH MUCH less now during a defensive rebuild.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13784
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:51 am
  • His line is a ton better than in the past and I think Russell still sees ghosts from time to time. You can see him fighting through that and staying in the pocket longer than usual.

    The OC needs to have more plays to the middle of the field. The TD play to Dickson was fantastic.
    Bevell's Bubble Busted
    User avatar
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1244
    Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:43 pm
    Location: davenport


Re: Russ has regressed as a QB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:52 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Sure I can. But this is exaggerated after that game where he was 10-11 in the 2nd Q. :177692:.


    Sure, why use Russell's entire seven year career, or entire last full season when you can cherrypick one quarter of one game this year.

    lol, good stuff Seymour.


    And one more thing. Read the thread title again. "Russ has regressed".

    To determine that, you would need to look at his body of work this year and compare it to others. I dare you to ACTUALLY do that.

    I dare you!!!

    :snack:

    Fact of the matter is, people remember that bad plays more than the good ones. Some here forget all the good ones intentionally because they are convinced of their theory and "it proves it".....so they think.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5799
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Next


It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:54 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online