Russ has regressed as a QB

seabowl

Reaction score
Russ has been the biggest piece to the Carol era resurgence of the Hawks. No doubt in my mind. With this said it looks like he has regressed in a number of areas as a qb the last few years.

Reads
Deep throws
Timing
Scrambling

Would I get rid of him. Absolutely not!!! However, whether it's his new life (family) or something else, he IMO has failed to progress into the QB he should be based on his skill set. Maybe he needs a different QB coach or something but whatever he's doing now, it is not working and taking advantage of his potential. Three years ago I would have said he's great and only going to get better. It just hasn't happened and frankly he's regressed.

Thoughts?

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Russell Wilson 21/31 225 7.3 2 0 3-20 67.3 110.3

I believe these are damned good number.

SkyHawks16

Reaction score
His stats says otherwise.

His 66 percent completion rate, 7.96 yards per attempt and 4.2 touchdown-to-interception ratio are all easily his best marks since 2015, while his 110.2 passer rating barely tops his career best from that season. After curiously struggling in the first halves of games last year, posting a completion rate of 59.6 percent and a passer rating of 78, those numbers have improved to 70.7 percent and 124.3, respectively. He's also been better on deep throws compared to last season, with his completion rate on attempts traveling at least 20 air yards going from 37.6 to 48.4. His passer rating on such throws has gone from 100.6 to 120.6.

http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahaw ... -with-less

themunn

Reaction score
Regressed?

In 2016 and 2017 Wilson's combined statline against GB:

36/66, 398 yards, 1 TD, 5 interceptions. Passer rating of 46.1
1 fumble lost, 59 yards rushing

Last night, 21/31, 225 yards, 2 TDs, 0 interceptions. Passer rating of 110.3. 0 fumbles, 17 yards rushing. Not to mention a PI penalty for 50 yards on top of that.

That to me looks like progress. Not regression.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Yes, he was pretty poor early, but he turned it around. Now Aaron on the other hand was brutal in the 4th. I'll take the former.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
There are certainly a couple of things hes not doing as well... getting rid of the ball and not taking a sack as well as the read option probably the most glaring.

I also think that hes been coached into those decisions, for whatever reason.

But still... hes not regressed.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Regressed? No. Actually having a running game and not having to carry the offense on his back like last season? Yes.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Two seasons ago he led the team in rushing just shy of 1000 yards and you weren’t happy with his performance. Last season he was 97% of our offensive production and you blamed him. This season we have a new OL coach and a new offense and play caller. Our offensive line and running game have improved so that Russell doesn’t have to do it all by himself. He is operating as instructed in the offense and you are still pissed.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2pvolzt0 said:
Two seasons ago he led the team in rushing just shy of 1000 yards and you weren’t happy with his performance. Last season he was 97% of our offensive production and you blamed him. This season we have a new OL coach and a new offense and play caller. Our offensive line and running game have improved so that Russell doesn’t have to do it all by himself. He is operating as instructed in the offense and you are still pissed.

This. GO HAWKS

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Regresses. Hahahaha. It is amazing how people can't see the obvious. Russ is elite and playing fine. People for some reason love to cherry pick his mistakes instead of looking at him as a whole. He or any other elite quarterback is not perfect. I am sure if you watched those other "elite" quarterbacks as much as you do Russ then you would fins just as many faults.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":b4dijmcq said:
Regresses. Hahahaha. It is amazing how people can't see the obvious. Russ is elite and playing fine. People for some reason love to cherry pick his mistakes instead of looking at him as a whole. He or any other elite quarterback is not perfect. I am sure if you watched those other "elite" quarterbacks as much as you do Russ then you would fins just as many faults.

How would one actually define regressing? Since he's #2 on the career Passer Rating List, even if he does regress, he's still damned good. He already has 23 TD passes (3 less than the superbowl run) and is on track to toss over 30 again. He's only thrown 5 INTs and is a LEADER.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... career.htm

ducks41468

Reaction score
I love how even after a game in which he played well and led a game-winning drive the only posts you see on this site are still about how bad he sucks. I think at this point this fanbase almost deserves 10+ years of QB incompetence like the Bills or Jets just to add some perspective. Then again, those same fans like the OP will bail at the first sign of true adversity.

Also, here's a little tidbit I found on reddit last night after the game:

"Rodgers' has been doing this for years and its a big reason I've defended McCarthy (to an extent). Rodgers frequently and consistently ignores the easy throws his offense gives him to freelance. No one is willing and/or able to get him to just move the chains when he needs to at times. Easily his biggest fault as a QB."

It's filled with Packer fans complaining about how Rodgers, arguably the best pure QB of all time, is flawed and costing the team games. Imagine that! Players aren't perfect! They struggle and have bad games sometimes where they throw for fewer than 500 yards and 7 TDs. Our fanbase needs to pull its head out of its ass.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I don’t know where all of this is coming from. And quite frankly I don’t care because everyone has the right to voice there opinion.

But, I still have to ask where is this hate coming from?

History lesson-
Russ had a rough game against the very same Packers team in the NFC Championship game. He had, what, 5 interceptions, but no one focused on that. They focused on how he showed poise, grit, didn’t give up. In fact no one from the team, players, coaches, and fans gave up.

Fast forward to yesterday-
He struggled, but at the end he made clutch plays including the go ahead TD pass to Dickson. We won despite those mistakes which tells me, the team is All In. They Buy In.

Is it bacause Russ is going to get a big pay day? Is it because of Sherm or MB’s comments? Is it ET giving the Hawks a big FYou? If you have issues with RW getting a big pay day....oh well but this team is turning the page from disgruntled players to a young, hungry team.

toffee

Reaction score
SO, someone came to the conclusion that Russ has regressed as a QB after last night's game against the Packers. That someone would have no choice but to also conclude that Aaron is a shelf of his former self??? After all, Aaron was holding the ball too long, got sacked 5 times, and missed open receivers.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
These are getting old. I get it, everyone entitled to their opinion ect... but we are not the Saints or Rams, our entire offensive philosophy (pete) is conservative with about 8 choice haymaker plays mixed in. Sometimes Russ hits 7/8 of those (he's very good at it), sometimes he doesn't. There are FAR less opportunities in our offense for rockstar numbers. But Russ is one of the most efficient QB's, perfect passer rating this year in a game, etc. It is Pete's offense.

On top of all of this the main culprit is new OC, Russ is being coached to do new more advanced (uncomfortable) things, there is a new style, and new gameday playcalling. I think the more accurate statement is over the last 4-5 years Russ HAD regressed or was a stagnant in his development (just doing what was asked of him). Now I think what we're all witnessing is growth, he's a little uncomfortable, which is good in the long run because he will WORK, but this process include some misses\wtf's as he improves, he will improve. This year is very fun, but it's probably not a deep playoff run, next year has the potential to be VERY fun imo. I've never played qb but imagine things move kinda fast, he'll get there because he has the talent and he will outwork you, right now he's still doing a helluva job with all that's going on around him and with what's being asked of him.

Reaction score
The only thing that brothers me about Russ is the spinoroma drop back into the sack fumble! That drives me crazy! He has his off games and his on games I'm glad he's on our side tho! That pass to David Moore was a beauty right on the money!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2pen2zjk said:
There are certainly a couple of things hes not doing as well... getting rid of the ball and not taking a sack as well as the read option probably the most glaring.

I also think that hes been coached into those decisions, for whatever reason.

But still... hes not regressed.
Si nailed it!

GLio14

Reaction score
I don't think Russ has regressed. However, there have been a number of wide open throws that he has missed, which is uncharacteristic of him. I always had faith in Russ' accuracy, but now I get a little uneasy when he throws because it's a crap shoot to see if he connects or not.

Again, don't think he's regressed, but he needs to get better with his accuracy.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Didn’t Aaron Rodgers get sacked 4 times holding onto the ball too long? But he also made 2 spectacular throws by being patient. Wilson isn’t much different. Yet Rodgers is elite and Wilson a game manager.

Grass is always greener fans with no perspective drive me nuts.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Regressed? No. He still struggles with the same frustrating things that he has always struggled with (primarily early game overthrows and deep ball underthrows), but he certainly hasn't regressed. The only area I might say that his game is not as good as it used to be is in the speed to escape the pass rush, but I'm not convinced that is as much Russ losing speed as it is defenses having learned and adjusted to his tendencies.

If Russ is regressing, why are the Seahawks currently sitting right at 71% for red zone TD percentage this year? 2017 it was 55.5% 2016 it was 48%, 2015 - 55%, 2014 - 52%, 2013 - 53%, and 2012 - 54%. I know that is a team stat, and heavily influenced by having a better offensive line this year, but the eye test says that Russ has really started to master the red zone in a way he has really struggled with in the past.