Schottenheimer’s elite red zone play calling

sutz

Reaction score
Good stuff! Thanks for the link.

:2thumbs:

GeekHawk

Reaction score
"Schottenheimer’s red zone offensive scheming running and passing is refreshing, foreign territory for Seahawks fans given the years of Bevellian toil."

:2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Great article! I love jargon and technical stuff. It makes me inspired to make plays on Madden 08, but the new Windows updates seem to have made that game unplayable. I love our dynamic new offense! It seems to be developing along with our newish o-line and both are starting to kick some god-damn ass at a time when we can still make the playoffs. This has a familiar feel, and you know what it is? It feels like the years before we won the SB!

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

mrt144

Reaction score
Bevell seemed to have a mental block in place. While you can't ignore how much our resurgent running game has helped not only get us into the redzone but also give us more latitude down there, I think just getting a guy who doesn't have all the history and baggage is a good thing and one of the most welcome divergences from Bevell.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I got to be one of the top 100 madden players in the world a few years ago.. One of the primary skills is a coverage indicator pre-snap.. Defenses are so good at disguising this that you have to force their hand with the tell.

Good for Shotty.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Once Russ and the offense figures out Schotty's complex offense, look out.

When you do certain things at an ELITE level in the NFL, you'll always have a chance. We're elite in the Redzone, elite in rushing. We do both at an A to A+ level

We do a few things at a B level, a few things at a C level. We can elevate that, but what I love is that we do certain things that no team can realistically stop. Feels awesome

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Very good point. It just feels like this team is on the brink of really turning it on. Their December record the last several years speaks for itself. Russ and the rest of the team knows how to turn it on when it matters. Hopefully they'll continue to rise, and continue to finish. The running game opens up so much for this offense too.

sutz

Reaction score
I'm not sure the red zone woes are all on Bevell. After all, with how our O-line was working, nobody thought we'd bother trying to force it in by running. History bears that out. We had virtually no rushing TDs the past two years as Cable's O-line deteriorated further and further.

Now, at least, running in the red zone is still a very real threat. So good job Schotty, but good job Solari, too.

mrt144

Reaction score
sutz":2l8hxd24 said:
I'm not sure the red zone woes are all on Bevell. After all, with how our O-line was working, nobody thought we'd bother trying to force it in by running. History bears that out. We had virtually no rushing TDs the past two years as Cable's O-line deteriorated further and further.

Now, at least, running in the red zone is still a very real threat. So good job Schotty, but good job Solari, too.

Right? All credit for Schotty using the 200 lb hammer in our arsenal effectively but more credit to the blacksmith that forged that tool.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
sutz":16xfp29e said:

I suppose it had nothing to do with having no running backs the previous two years, either. ;)

chris98251

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1ohsm1qm said:
sutz":1ohsm1qm said:

I suppose it had nothing to do with having no running backs the previous two years, either. ;)

You can get running backs a dime a dozen, remember it's a passing league the RB is more of a display piece then a working part of the offense according to many here. :stirthepot:

Fade

Reaction score
I am have been very pleased with Schottenheimer's aggressiveness in the redzone, he doesn't play around with bubblescreens, toss plays, using your star players as decoys and then settling for fieldgoals. He attacks with playaction, and goes after the weakest link that is one on one.

Exactly what should've been happening from the start.

Bevell never lead the seahawks to a top level Redzone% even when the team had Lynch. They had much better offenses than this current one and they consistently under performed in this area. It was a big reason why they traded for Graham to improve that area of the offense.

It ended up leading to middle fingers, and shouting matches on the sideline. And fans being pissed of in the forums about the red zone playcalling. I don't think Bevell deserves any benefit of the doubt here.

Darrell Bevell offensive rankings (2011-2016)
Year Pass DVOA Rush DVOA Red zone %
2011 - SEA 21st 14th 22nd
2012 - SEA 04th 01st 10th
2013 - SEA 08th 07th 12th
2014 - SEA 10th 01st 20th
2015 - SEA 02nd 03rd 16th
2016 - SEA 16th 23rd 27th

As an example 2014. 10th in passing DVOA, 1st in rushing DVOA. 20th Redzone%. :pukeface:

If he would've figured out that area of the field, he would still be coaching, if not for the Seahawks, somebody else.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Can you imagine if we had Schotty and Jimmy Graham at the same time? He would have been that nightmare, Red Zone matchup that he should have been all along. What a wasted opportunity.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
For me, it's just nice to see them get in to the Red Zone and EXPECTING them to score a TD. With Bev and Cable, I just was worried they would try to get cute in the red zone and just call something stupid.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Don't forget Cable's influence on playcalls and design. Hard to always know where the offensive direction came from.

Tical21

Reaction score
Matty is writing for FG now? I'd say he's probably the #1 Seahawks follow now.

toffee

Reaction score
mrt144":bgscqs7x said:
sutz":bgscqs7x said:

Right? All credit for Schotty using the 200 lb hammer in our arsenal effectively but more credit to the blacksmith that forged that tool.

Good job Russ too!

Ooops, got to do a disclaimer:
Russell Wilson is a too short game manager that has been retarded by Pete Carroll’s antiquated offense theory and regressed beyond belief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk